• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Why Doesn't Ash Use Battle Strategy?

Charicific

PkMn Trainer
Years
  • I believe the question is obvious. Its just that, Ash has been through much experience, so why doesn't he use plans. Of course, I know he has strategies when in challenges but thats not what I am talking about. What I mean is that Ash doesn't use or plan to use Moves that are not Attack-Focused. You know... moves such as Curse, Sword Dance, Dragon Dance, Endure, Acid Armor..etc.
    I personally never saw him use Moves such as these to increase his attack, defense, or speed. That's what a trainer requires as part of his plan. He never does that, he usually just attacks straight forward. The Only Time I saw him use a defensive move is his Torkoal's Iron Defense. But other than that, he is just rushing into power, the only thing he masters is his environment and other Non-Battling Factors, which somehow leads him into the brink of victory.

So what do you think, what's the reason, is there a purpose the writers intend to follow? Thanks for your Elaboration..:)

TheFuturePokemon

Natural.....
    Years
  • I believe the question is obvious. Its just that, Ash has been through much experience, so why doesn't he use plans. Of course, I know he has strategies when in challenges but thats not what I am talking about. What I mean is that Ash doesn't use or plan to use Moves that are not Attack-Focused. You know... moves such as Curse, Sword Dance, Dragon Dance, Endure, Acid Armor..etc.
    I personally never saw him use Moves such as these to increase his attack, defense, or speed. That's what a trainer requires as part of his plan. He never does that, he usually just attacks straight forward. The Only Time I saw him use a defensive move is his Torkoal's Iron Defense. But other than that, he is just rushing into power, the only thing he masters is his environment and other Non-Battling Factors, which somehow leads him into the brink of victory.

So what do you think, what's the reason, is there a purpose the writers intend to follow? Thanks for your Elaboration..:)

Yeah i find it odd how Ash's Pokemon only learn attacking moves iinstead of stat changing moves.
    Well i pretty sure the writers just want to focus on the action part of battling instead of the strategy part.

Pikachu + Agility - Raise Speed
    Squirtle + Withdraw - Raise Defense

Kenshin5

Wanderer
    Years
  • I personally never saw him use Moves such as these to increase his attack, defense, or speed.
    Pikachu has used Agility on multiple occasions as well as Treecko line. Also Corpish has been shown to use Harden as well. Butterfree also used status affecting moves like Sleep Powder and Stun Spore as well as String Shoot as does Swadloon(which partly played a role in it's victory again Burgh).

They may try and add some non attack based moves in Best Wishes. Since they have shown several instances of Ash utilizing Snivy Attract. And it's yet to be seen if he uses Roggenrola Sandstorm as a strategy, which he quite possibly could do.

I think the reason he doesn't is attributed to the writers not giving him the type of pokemon that use stat boosting and status affecting moves. And if they do they just don't utilize those moves in battle. From what I have seen they like to showcase speed type pokes in Pikachu, Sceptile, Infernape, Buizel. Or just be dull and unimaginative and use brute strength in battle.

~*!*~Tatsujin Gosuto~*!*~

Buffalo State College
    Years
  • I think the reason why the anime developers don't make Ash and others use Non-attack moves sometimes is because it will drag the battle on longer than it already is. A lot of Ash's Pokemon can really benefit from Non-attacking moves.

:t354:TG

Years
    • Age 26
    • Seen Jul 14, 2021
    Face it, Ash is stupid
    I think that the devs just think that going to in depth in the game might cause kids not to watch Pokemon as kids may think that pokemon is a show that they can get away from all the school work and stuffs like that. So they don't want to make it so theory-based but make the battle more fast flowing.

This is just my opinion. You may choose not to believe it.

psyanic

pop a wheelie on a zeitgeist
    Years
    • Age 27
    • USA
    • Seen Apr 10, 2023
    You forgot Counter-Shield. That was quite defensive and unique, even thought he stole that idea. I don't even see a lot of other trainers using boosting moves. I think Swords Dance was used in the Grand Festival by Zoey, making Gallade's blades longer. Conway's Dusknoir used Trick Room.

Mainly, Ash's only strategy is knock em down fast. If that doesn't work, he just destroys the battlefield like the vandal he is. But think about it, no one else really uses any strategy. If you waste time doing a weird dance, you're Pokemon is going to get hit. And what's the point of doing that if your Pokemon gets knocked out? The only boosting moves used are really the ones that can block attacks or evade them, like Iron Defense/Harden and Agility/Double Team.

Raizhu

the end
    Years
    • Seen Feb 19, 2012
    Because Ash is... Ash.
    He seems to prefer an all-out offensive approach, and if that fails, the writers give him a logic-defying strategy Thunder Armor.

Years
    • Seen Sep 18, 2020
    Because it's not in Ash's characterisation.
    As the protagonist, he is meant to surmount such obstables, not put them up.

Jorah

What do I put here?
    Years
    • Age 33
    • UK
    • Seen Aug 18, 2021
    No one in the anime seems to use these sorts of strategies. If they did, I can't remember them from the top of my head, anyway @~@

Townes

Gentlemanly Hazard...
    Years
    • Seen Sep 15, 2011
    Simples, the audience is meant to be young children, and a Pokemon repetitively using Screech or Iron Defense etc. isn't that exciting, so the target audience would just get bored with it. Many of them have very short attention spans, so they need to keep it lively and interesting.

Also, Ash is a jammy git. This is supreme truth.

Years
    • Seen Nov 11, 2011
    As you said, Iron defense is one example. Also, Pikachu used Agility as part of its staple of moves for a while, and Snivy often uses Attract.

Here's some more: Synthesis used by Torterra, Leech Seed by Bulbasaur, Poison Gas by Muk, Double Team by Tauros, Protect and Rest by Snorlax, Endure by Heracross, Sweet Scent by Bayleef, SmokeScreen and Agility by Cyndaquil, Scary Face by Totodile, Hypnosis and Foresight by Noctowl, Defense Curl by Donphan, Double Team by Swellow, Withdraw by Squirtle, Sand Attack and Screech by Gliscor, String Shot, Harden, Stun Spore, Sleep Powder, and Whirlwind by Butterfree and its pre-evolved forms, Sand-Attack by Pidgeotto, as well as various other Double Teams and Leers used by more Pokemon that I don't care to add.

In all honesty, that's a long list, but for the most part (other than Double Team and a couple other moves) the moves weren't used often. I think it's a mix of you forgetting that they happened and the fact that Ash's character just doesn't rely on them. Remember, he's impulsive. The writers don't think you're too stupid to understand the complexity of a Leer attack, they just know that Ash isn't the type of person to think about that kind of strategy when he really just wants to do flashy, straight forward moves. They even addressed this during the Battle Frontier episodes when Brock and Ash noticed that May's battle style seemed to mirror Ash's, which was why Drew was able to predict her moves.

MikeyOak

Gary Oak wannabe
    Years
  • Mainly because in the early series (and thunder armour) Ash relied on blind luck to win..I used to get frustrated at the poorly explained way he often defied the odds, but then in Hoenn and Sinnoh he started to get smart for example the counter shield strategy.

sherreamethyst

Dragonite's Momma
    Years

Actually, i never really thought that there were any stat-increasing moves in the anime. Whenever anybody in the anime uses a move that is considered a stat-increasing move in the video games, it always ends up being a move that hits anyways. Like how yu said pikachu & agility, when pikachu uses agility, it usually is just like quick attack and ends up hitting. i think double team might be the only move that fits here.

Years
    • Seen Feb 18, 2013
    However unlikely it may seem he sometimes uses a stategy but the reason he doesn't win the tournaments is because he makes it up as he goes along and he needs a counter-strategy for his strategy so if the first strategy doesn't work the back-up strategy will wprk and sometimes i believe he just makes it up on the spot...

Years
  • You strategy could work in game,
    But in reality (Ash's world), Ash have to be flexible.
    Strategy not only focus on moves you use.

You see Orange League Ash vs Drake again.
    I think this match shows a real pokemon battle.
    It's totally different from the RPG game.

Years
  • well they made ash a nub again who doesnt noe anything its kinda stupid o.o kinda piss when i watched it but well get through it sometimes he does make a plan sometimes when he ;loses tat is

Back