• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Why doesn't Game Freak add IV/EV info in the game?

Years
  • Considering how important they are to making your Pokemon competitive why don't they actually include them in their stats?

Oryx

CoquettishCat
    Years
    • Age 31
    • Seen Jan 30, 2015
    I always felt like Gamefreak doesn't want the game to be played the way most competitive players choose to play, so they don't want to make it any easier. I thought that the IVs and EVs and such weren't supposed to be taken advantage of, such as resetting the game 30 times to get the IVs you want or EV training a Pokemon, but instead gained randomly, the way you would do during normal play. Sometimes you get a bad Pokemon, and the same Pokemon by another trainer would kill you because of something entirely random, so that way even the not-perfect (or younger) trainers would have a chance at battling without being constantly destroyed.

Just my two cents :x

Erufuun

apple bunny lover <3
    Years
  • ^ This guy~
    I agree completely. ;-; I do miss the old days when that stuff didn't matter, and natures were thought to only give them personality.
    But I think they are starting to give into the competitive battlers...

The Corrupt Plague

Missingno. hunter
    Years
  • I'm pretty sure that it's because we aren't even supposed to know about the hidden stats to begin with. It's rumored that these were all discovered by hacking and it certainly sounds plausible because not a single game tells you outright that they exist or how to manipulate them. Every single reference is just a vague hint that pretty much means nothing if you aren't someone in the know.

The Corrupt Plague

Missingno. hunter
    Years
  • Yes, it would. Hidden stat manipulation can create a very uneven playing field and I certainly don't have the time or attention span to do it across entire teams.

Years
    • Age 37
    • Seen May 15, 2024
    Wouldn't the game and battling in general be more fun if no one cared about them?
    For you. For other people, it's EV training that makes battling fun for them. Personally, I fall in the latter. I find battling more fun when I win with Pokemon that I spent the most time breeding for the correct nature, choosing the best attacks for them for their stats, and then raising so that their stats are good. Otherwise, I wouldn't enjoy the idea of battling as much as I do if I can win with any Pokemon. I feel more pride when I win a battle.

There are plenty of people that do agree with you, though. You're just going to have to make a mention of that before you battle someone, so that they'll know what to expect. And also so that you don't have to fight someone who EV trains.

That's probably why GameFreak keeps the information hidden. People who don't want to be forced into EV training aren't forced into it by the game. They can play how they want to, raise the Pokemon that they want to, have fun their own way. But for those who do enjoy spending the time figuring out the numbers and breeding/raising the best Pokemon they can, they can still have fun playing the exact same game.

Timbjerr

[color=Indigo][i][b]T-o-X-i-C[/b][/i][/color]
    Years
  • The games have always lampshaded the hidden values subtly. NPCs often tell the player that two pokemon of the same species and level can potentially have completely different stats, an obvious reference to IVs, and some NPCs will encourage you to let your pokemon defeat as many other pokemon as possible to make them more adept fighters, an obvious reference to EVs.

GameFreak wants us to know that the concepts are in play, but probably didn't intend for us to learn enough to exploit them.

Years
  • I always felt like Gamefreak doesn't want the game to be played the way most competitive players choose to play, so they don't want to make it any easier. I thought that the IVs and EVs and such weren't supposed to be taken advantage of, such as resetting the game 30 times to get the IVs you want or EV training a Pokemon, but instead gained randomly, the way you would do during normal play. Sometimes you get a bad Pokemon, and the same Pokemon by another trainer would kill you because of something entirely random, so that way even the not-perfect (or younger) trainers would have a chance at battling without being constantly destroyed.

Just my two cents :x

You bring up an extremely valid point, especially considering who the game is marketed at. The competitive metagame has always been a separate entity from the "Pokemon" that Game Freak has given us, however, Game Freak wouldn't have implemented these systems if they didn't want competition and diversity. They basically handed us the power to make our Pokemon as effective as possible, albeit it's a somewhat tedious method. Anyhow, I'd prefer Game Freak tell us, straight up, what our Pokemon's IVs are on the Pokemon's menu, rather than listening to a man ramble about a Pokemon's potential and looking at a 2-5 word description on how the Pokemon "behaves" to determine its IVs. The only problem that I see with this is that it could cause confusion among the younger/newer players, as to what these "IVs" were, although that problem could be easily forestalled by explaining them in the instruction manual.

Oryx

CoquettishCat
    Years
    • Age 31
    • Seen Jan 30, 2015
    You bring up an extremely valid point, especially considering who the game is marketed at. The competitive metagame has always been a separate entity from the "Pokemon" that Game Freak has given us, however, Game Freak wouldn't have implemented these systems if they didn't want competition and diversity. They basically handed us the power to make our Pokemon as effective as possible, albeit it's a somewhat tedious method. Anyhow, I'd prefer Game Freak tell us, straight up, what our Pokemon's IVs are on the Pokemon's menu, rather than listening to a man ramble about a Pokemon's potential and looking at a 2-5 word description on how the Pokemon "behaves" to determine its IVs. The only problem that I see with this is that it could cause confusion among the younger/newer players, as to what these "IVs" were, although that problem could be easily forestalled by explaining them in the instruction manual.

Yeah, I also feel that they were being incredibly naive if they implemented a system like that into the game and expected no one to figure out how to use it to make their Pokemon the best. Them not having it in there now is silly, because if someone wants to do it, they'll do it whether or not it's easy for them to do.

It reminds me a lot of Super Smash Bros. I always enjoy playing with all items on, because in my opinion that's how the game was meant to be played, and it gives a chance for people that don't play as much or aren't as good as the others, making it fun for everyone and not just the best player. But the competitive players only use the basic maps with no items because it's the best way to show skill for them.

Years
    • Seen Mar 10, 2013
    Because Pokemon is meant to be a fun game you play occasionally, sure some competitivity, but not the kind like the kind Smogon and everyone does.

They wouldn't add such systems (or hold events) if they weren't full aware of how many people would battle Pokémon competitively.

The inner workings mechanics of the mechanics are often hidden from view because they don't want them to appear so complex and technical at first glance. The IV system in particular has a danger of sending out the wrong kind of message if it's brought to the forefont, as even the most casual of player would be able to see that one Pokémon would be totally superior to another in the case where one of them has a lucky (or very unlucky) spread of IVs.

It doesn't mesh too well with the overall message the games try to present within the story, although Game Freak have taken baby steps a few times to integrate the mechanics into the interface.

PatJamma

From the ashes
    Years
    • Age 29
    • Seen Jan 8, 2022
    For you. For other people, it's EV training that makes battling fun for them. Personally, I fall in the latter. I find battling more fun when I win with Pokemon that I spent the most time breeding for the correct nature, choosing the best attacks for them for their stats, and then raising so that their stats are good. Otherwise, I wouldn't enjoy the idea of battling as much as I do if I can win with any Pokemon. I feel more pride when I win a battle.
    Can I get modded for calling you a moron? Because if I can't then you sir are a moron! There is no such thing as a "correct nature"! While I do choose attacks based on stats as well, however that is what the base stats are for. And let's say you battle a someone and he/she looses, then they decide to copy your exact team, exactly how it is: stats, nature, moves, everything! Then battle you again. What happens? It becomes boring!
    IMO EV training is a waste of time and IVs aren't meant to be perfect! Again IMO it's much more fun to battle with a team that you didn't use cheap tricks to get and I wish everyone else thought this way too.

Oryx

CoquettishCat
    Years
    • Age 31
    • Seen Jan 30, 2015
    Can I get modded for calling you a moron? Because if I can't then you sir are a moron! There is no such thing as a "correct nature"! While I do choose attacks based on stats as well, however that is what the base stats are for. And let's say you battle a someone and he/she looses, then they decide to copy your exact team, exactly how it is: stats, nature, moves, everything! Then battle you again. What happens? It becomes boring!
    IMO EV training is a waste of time and IVs aren't meant to be perfect! Again IMO it's much more fun to battle with a team that you didn't use cheap tricks to get and I wish everyone else thought this way too.

It's just a way of playing. There are people that are very strategic and patient with their teams, and there are people that aren't. I don't fault people for being the strategic type (I would hazard a guess that Astinus also enjoys tactical games such as 40K or Starcraft?), because Game Freak did put that part in there. I have to say, if I knew how any of that worked and it was easy to do it, I would be out there doing the same thing. The only reason I don't is because I don't have the patience to strategize in many games to that point, the same reason I don't play strategy games and the like.

One thing that always makes me smile is that despite all the EV training, despite IV resetting and all that junk, people still argue over which is the best Pokemon. I've played plenty of games where, after all the stats are stripped down to how they work, the monsters have an obvious winner and if you don't use that one, you're setting yourself at a disadvantage. In Pokemon, even though we know so much about how it works, we're still not all using the same team because it's obviously the best team.

I don't battle others because I don't even check IVs, and play how I want, and I'm fine with that because I'm not competitive at all and would much rather play with someone than against them. (: But if you want to do that, more power to you, I'll remove myself from it with no problem.

The Noob Hacker

Praise the sun.
    Years
    • Seen Jul 16, 2016
    I think that GF just doesn't want to seem to complicated to their main demographic. However, I don't think it would hurt to explain it in places where it is actually important, that is, Battle Tower and other similar places, and any place where you can battle random trainers online.

However, if GF doesn't want people to notice the EV and IV system, and doesn't want us to control it, then why do we have items that increase growth in certain stats?

Years
  • They stated in an interview that they've thought about it, but aren't sure how to approach it. This was in a Nintendo Power interview, so you're just going to have to take my word for it, or not. Still, highlighting the stats that natures affect in the summary screen was a good start.

If Game Freak came to my front door one day and asked "Kirbychu, how do you think we should approach this problem?" this is what I'd suggest.

EVs
    These could be replaced with a skill point system. Every Pokemon you battle gives you 1-3 skill points which would essentially be EVs. Once your Pokemon levels up you get to allocate these skill points to any stat you want on the summary screen, plus you could also see how many points have already been applied to each stat. Essentially the same thing, just a bit more accessible for a more casual audience. If a kid doesn't want to keep track of skill points, they don't have to. This is because it's an option on the summary screen.

IVs
    I hate these things. I think it would be cool to have IV berries that raise and reduce each stat. However, these berries would be very rare, but not event-only rare.

Sydian

fake your death.
    Years
  • I'm kinda glad that it's not known. I mean, all the points I wanted to make have been said already, but you know, for younger kids, if this was actually shown, then it would just confuse them I think. :( Heck, it'd confuse me.

Excuse me, but no one calls my mother, or anyone, a moron. I suggest you take a nice look at the rules for this section. I'm not throwing out simple warnings for disrespect anymore. It won't be tolerated at all. Everyone is entitled to their own opinion, but when that opinion has to openly insult someone, then it's just too far.

Years
  • Can I get modded for calling you a moron? Because if I can't then you sir are a moron! There is no such thing as a "correct nature"! While I do choose attacks based on stats as well, however that is what the base stats are for. And let's say you battle a someone and he/she looses, then they decide to copy your exact team, exactly how it is: stats, nature, moves, everything! Then battle you again. What happens? It becomes boring!

Never once have I seen anyone copy someone else's team, most battlers have integrity. I'm also surprised you battle opponents other than the ones in-game, as the ideals and methods outlined would be ineffective against something that doesn't battle using artificial intelligence. Also, while there isn't one universal nature that is better than the others, a nature boosting a Pokemon's chief stat, while lowering one that it has little use for is more beneficial than a neutral one, no? Also, what exactly are these "cheap tricks" that you speak of? The only thing that comes to my mind would be hacking Pokemon, as IV breeding and EV training aren't cheap at all, it's going to extra mile to excel in something that you have passion for. The same drive that you obviously lack and criticize those who possess it for that very reason.

Back