• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Why give up?

Neo-Dragon

Game Developer
    Years
    The whole lack of motivation is something that, as I said, can get to me sometimes.
    But...
    This is also a reason why I set up Calis Projects.
    I recruited members who I felt were the best and most active at what they done- and at the end of the day, you all, will be the people who benefit from it. We have a strong team where ego is put aside to take on advice for making games. The team has the 2 most innovative games on this forum under it's label (Protectors and Asphar) and more behind the scenes not shown to the public, we also have 2 of the best up and coming artists on the team to help with the art direction on every game on the label.

The idea of giving up is over lack of motivation is something that won't happen with us, and you all will get some great games, with unique features to play when we're done.

Yuoaman

I don't know who I am either.
    Years
    Why do I usually give up on my projects? Most times I will quit when the process of developing the game ceases to be enjoyable. This is why I enjoy working as a part of a team rather than solo on a project, because if you decide to stop working for a little while the project won't halt altogether and will still be there when you start working again.

Worldslayer608

ಥдಥ
    Years
    Neo-Dragon has the best response, in that it is the most accurate answer.

Game Development and/or Game modification is generally a hobby for most people, and for that very reason, other things that happen in the way of careers, relationships, and school will almost always take priority of a hobby. It is sad but it is how it works and it is how it should work.

It is a lengthy process as well, and most people who are new to GD and GM are often taking on more then they know when they start a project. I believe the term "Rome was not built in a day" shall apply. It can often be pretty overwhelming.

The fix?

The comment about all the GD's here and so little to show for it is the result of people having their own ideas, which leads to separate projects which leads to a work overload which takes up all their free time, which in turn makes the GD bored and/or tires of the project.

Neo-Dragon has done so well because of the Calis Project, which he has already stated, and that is because they are a dedicated team, it is a hobby, but at the same time it is a passion (I think it is safe to assume here), which go hand in hand.

More dedicated GD's/GM's should probably put their project aside and look for other dedicated to help with a group project of the groups initial design, which will create more games like protectors and team like Calis......

downside s that people like their ideas more then they like other peoples ideas (in most cases) which leads to people not wanting to put their project aside to work on something potentially more promising.

Maruno

Lead Dev of Pokémon Essentials
    Years
    • Seen May 3, 2024
    • I'm too busy with Real Life to keep this going.
    I'm not sure I agree that this is a valid excuse for quitting a game. I mean, I work very infrequently on my game, and I haven't given up on it yet. What are the people who use this excuse doing that completely fills up all their time? I don't buy it.

So you can't update your game every week any more. So what? Try every month, or even longer. Don't just drop it like that. As people before have said, game making is (should be) a hobby, not a raison d'etre. Don't assume you have to give it up if you can no longer spend 20 hours a week on it. I'm sure we won't mind.

And for that matter, why drop the games? Why not pass them on to someone who's interested in keeping it going? Oh, wait, "my idea, my game, my glory". Gods help the pretender who starts ruining the perfectly good game I started.

And that's a shame. We'd have more (maybe even any) completed games if people put their projects up for adoption rather than lock it away for no one to see. But the ego doesn't like that idea, no.

downside s that people like their ideas more then they like other peoples ideas (in most cases) which leads to people not wanting to put their project aside to work on something potentially more promising.
    Another downside to that is people wanting to put aside their best ideas for their own games, while putting forward their lesser ideas for their team to use. I think the "my idea, my game, my glory" mentality is definitely a problem. I certainly have it myself :P

Worldslayer608

ಥдಥ
    Years
    Another downside to that is people wanting to put aside their best ideas for their own games, while putting forward their lesser ideas for their team to use. I think the "my idea, my game, my glory" mentality is definitely a problem. I certainly have it myself :P

That is very correct, a lot of people suffer from that kind of 'Greed'. It is understandable, but I myself think it is much more beneficial to everyone to share all their good ideas to make a ground stomping game. Developing a game is not a easy, nor quick process, and if you are going to dedicate your time to a team, why not dedicate ideas as well? It is something that will always be faced when developing a game on a team. But it all boils down to the team creation. You want to make sure the right people are in the right place. The right people would be those who are for the game being made, not a side game they are making on their own. That is how I operate anyways, I know a lot of others do not, and sadly that is why I can honestly set myself aside from others.

Back