• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Why Has no other game attempted Two Regions?

poopydude

PKMN Master
Years
  • I have always wondered this. Why was G/S/C the only generation of Game's to attempt two Regions? Does anyone know the logic behind it? I think Two regions really helps make the game more interesting and allows the buyer to get more playtime out of the game.

Oryx

CoquettishCat
    Years
    • Age 31
    • Seen Jan 30, 2015
    I feel like they were testing it with Johto and it just didn't work. The second region was boring compared to the first, and after a while people just got bored. I beat the Johto part of my game and then just quit halfway through Kanto because omg so boring.

They might do something like that for Gen VI though, depending on if they're going to treat Unova like the new Kanto in that way as well.

Years
  • Because they only gave enough attention to the first region previously. If they actually developed a full plot for the second region, that'd be one thing.
    However, one also has to consider the likelihood that once you get to the second region, your Pokemon are all leveled relatively high, so most gyms/etc would be a breeze. I know that's what it was like for me in GSC/HGSS. ):

Years
  • Well, of course we know about it from the first generation, but it'd be nice to have some sort of plot going on there/further development instead of ~get badges~ thing. Its presence is practically pointless.

Oryx

CoquettishCat
    Years
    • Age 31
    • Seen Jan 30, 2015
    But why would Kanto need a back story? We already learned about it from the first generation of games.

Because while the games can have connections between them, they're also meant to stand as standalone games. If there's no plot to an area, why bother putting it in? Not every person plays in order from Kanto up, in fact most don't.

bobandbill

one more time
    Years
  • Here's a little tidbit - apparently GS were meant to be the last games in the series for a bit for some reasons (or so interviews with people on the game freak team apparently said iirc?). So that may explain the whole 'go back to Kanto!" thing they threw in and the two regions bit too. I don't buy the 'people got bored with kanto in GSC so they never did it again' - because they remade GSC with HGSS and both games sold millions of copies as well (plus it's pretty subjective if you like Kanto or not in GSC/HGSS - I personally enjoyed it in HGSS and was not bothered by the lack of 'plot' given I mostly enjoy Pokemon for the gameplay).

Another reason is that unlike Johto and Kanto which are linked/right next to each other, Hoenn and Sinooh respectivly were an ocean away from those regions,a nd Unova is canonically further away still (loosely based off New York rather than parts of Japan). That and they make millions of dollars also just having one new region a gen, so it's not like they have a particular need to include 2 regions in one game from a marketing point of view.

Dragonite's Wrath

Dragons are my Heart and Soul
    Years
  • I have many complaints to the insulters of Johto...
    Its true that your team was at least to lvl 55 after the Elite 4, but did anybody notice this?: No Johto trainers' Pokemon broke lvl 25 until Mahogany Town, and your team was at about lvl40. Clair's pokemon were at around lvl 38-42 at the highest. Heading to Victory Road is when you saw lvl 40 pkmn. They did that so nobody would be at lvl 70 when they got to the Kanto gyms, unless they spent hours grinding their team. The Kanto trainers were at the lowest, lvl 40, even the Bug Catchers,
    Its possible to have a game where you go to Johto and Sinnoh.(Arceus Event. Sinjoh Ruins)
    I think it would be awesome if Pokemon Company made a game that let you go to all the Reigons, giving each one a story line, including Sevii Islands and Orange Islands, and let you fight Gym Leaders, Elite Four and the Team(s) of that Region(Rocket, Magma, Aqua, Galactic, Plasma) and even Red. I'll admit, having all that data on one game would be nearly impossible, so to the people who'd bring that up, read this next part: On Resident Evil 4 and Metal Gear Solid 2, the game was split into two discs. So, have each Pokemon Region on a different Game Card.
    This above probably wont happen, but there should be more Pokemon games with more than one Reigon. It was the best thing that ever came out.
    And Gold, Silver and Crystal were NOT failures. They are and will always be better than Heart Gold, Soul Silver, R/B/Y, Hoenn, Sinnoh and the Unova Region. This is my opinion, and it wont change.
    The other games dont have two Reigons because they dont feel like doing that again. They make one Region for a generation, then spend the next few years trying to pick a name for the next Region, and scraping up the remains of their creativity off the floor to come up with pokemon names and designs. I know other people have this same idea. They made ice cream pokemon, and a bear cub with frozen drool hanging on its nose. They.. are... not.. trying.
    I'm done. Again, not trying to insult anyone, but to me, it had to be said.

Last edited:

poopydude

PKMN Master
    Years
    Its true that your team was at least to lvl 55 after the Elite 4, but did anybody notice this?: No Johto trainers' Pokemon broke lvl 25 until Mahogany Town, and your team was at about lvl40. Clair's pokemon were at around lvl 38-42 at the highest. Heading to Victory Road is when you saw lvl 40 pkmn. They did that so nobody would be at lvl 70 when they got to the Kanto gyms, unless they spent hours grinding their team. The Kanto trainers were at the lowest, lvl 40, even the Bug Catchers,
    Its possible to have a game where you go to Johto and Sinnoh.(Arceus Event. Sinjoh Ruins)
    I think it would be awesome if Pokemon Company made a game that let you go to all the Reigons, giving each one a story line, including Sevii Islands and Orange Islands, and let you fight Gym Leaders, Elite Four and the Team(s) of that Region(Rocket, Magma, Aqua, Galactic, Plasma) and even Red. I'll admit, having all that data on one game would be nearly impossible, so to the people who'd bring that up, read this next part: On Resident Evil 4 and Metal Gear Solid 2, the game was split into two discs. So, have each Pokemon Region on a different Game Card.
    This above probably wont happen, but there should be more Pokemon games with more than one Reigon. It was the best thing that ever came out.
    And Gold, Silver and Crystal were NOT failures. They are and will always be better than Heart Gold, Soul Silver, R/B/Y, Hoenn, Sinnoh and the Unova Region. This is my opinion, and it wont change.
    The other games dont have two Reigons because they dont feel like doing that again. They make one Region for a generation, then spend the next few years trying to pick a name for the next Region, and scraping up the remains of their creativity off the floor to come up with pokemon names and designs. I know other people have this same idea. They made ice cream pokemon, and a bear cub with frozen drool hanging on its nose. They.. are... not.. trying.

I personally love this idea. While I think something like this would be more suited for a PC as opposed to a Nintendo System its a fantastic concept.

FlameChocobo

Warrior of Hoenn
    Years
    • Seen Dec 27, 2016
    The thing is that Kanto was the biggest flaw in GSC which I mentioned on other topics such as a topic about people hating on Third Generation. It was nerfed when being made due to limited cartridge space so Seafoam Island (Just an island with Gymleader Blaine) and Cerulean Cave aren't accessible, and Viridian Forest being nothing but a part of Route 2.

I was being a bit harsh on GSC, but the flaws it has are too difficult to forget IMO.

Years
    • Seen Aug 18, 2016
    It was probably a ton of extra work to include Kanto in GSC, but it worked for them quite nicely. The problem is finding a way to make it so that your pokemon aren't way too over leveled after the first region and making it still a semi believable game. (I get that it's pokemon and it's unbelievable, but there it still should make some kind of sense. Like having a trainer who, in red, was using level 15's, but in crystal was using level 40's.) meow

Years
    • Seen Mar 10, 2013
    Gold and Silver were in development for much longer than Nintendo originally envisioned because it was decided to convert the game for the Game Boy Colour. As a result they had more time to add the additional area to Gold and Silver, but it was still clearly unfinished and has several elements scrapped due to time restraints.

Ever since, the games have been showing even more signs of being unfinished in their main regions which makes it infeasible to add an additional region to the game when they're already working on a schedule that leaves the original region in need of more work.

FlameChocobo

Warrior of Hoenn
    Years
    • Seen Dec 27, 2016
    Also! GSC isn't the only game with 2 Regions (Unless you're excluding the remakes). There is another game that has 2 Regions such as Fire Red and Leaf Green (Remake of Red and Green) which have Kanto and Sevii Islands.

Dragonite's Wrath

Dragons are my Heart and Soul
    Years
  • I personally love this idea. While I think something like this would be more suited for a PC as opposed to a Nintendo System its a fantastic concept.

Thank You. I thought that post would get me hated.
    But I meant the game be on different cards, but not sold seperately. You pick the Region to start in, that Region gives you your starter, and you cant leave until you beat the Champion of that Region. All the Legends in every generation can be caught, without having to do an event or needing a special item or pkmn. All of them would be in a specific area(Mewtwo and Mew in Cerulean Cave, Sinnoh Legends on the mountain [forgot the name] Ho-oh in Tin Tower, Lugia in Whirl Islands. You get it)
    And Tin Tower would be called Tin Tower, not Bell Tower. That was the gayest thing Nintendo ever did.

rocky505

<Now who's awesome!
    Years
  • Also! GSC isn't the only game with 2 Regions (Unless you're excluding the remakes). There is another game that has 2 Regions such as Fire Red and Leaf Green (Remake of Red and Green) which have Kanto and Sevii Islands.
    Sevii Islands are not a region they are a chain of islands south of Kanto.

okjoek

Hoenn champ
    Years

I actualy love the idea that when they're sadly done making new pokemon that they make one remake for each region and that region alone rather than trying to cram every bit of data into one card... Unless that's made possible in the future which is always a likely possibility.

Years
  • The main reason I think was because Johto was a pretty small region, and at that time it probably seemed pretty cool for G/S/C players to go back to Kanto like in R/B/Y. It was like their remake lol.

Back