• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

"Why is Gyarados Water/Flying?"

Status
Not open for further replies.

Guy

just a guy
    Years
    I would agree Gyarados should have been typed as a Water/Dragon Pokémon from the start. A change in its typing would have been different that the change in Magnemite and Magneton though. Reason being is because they had a type added to their original place rather than anything being altered completely. However, the only reason why so many people consider that it should be represented as a Dragon subtype is because of its look and origin. Like explained, Gyarados derives from the Chinese belief of an honored Dragon myth, however this is Pokémon not reality. So the choice they made for it to be a Water/Flying rather that a Water/Dragon is only because this is Pokémon and not realistic belief.

Gyarados wouldn't have been the most strongest Pokémon in the game even if it were to be classified as a Dragon type though since the first generation. Yes, its stats are incredibly well and comparably different from Kingdra. Although, that isn't to say a normal effective move and an even stronger Pokémon couldn't have defeated it. So, this thought really isn't effective like how you've mentioned it to be.

Like mentioned, making him a Water/Dragon wouldn't have made him a Pokémonopoly. Overtime Pokémon changed, and even stronger Pokémon came to be. If it were to be a Pokémonopoly as a Water/Dragon then it might have been classed as a legend such as Arceus, but really with only one Dragon move at that time, it wouldn't have added up like it would have now. So, he would have still has his downfall regardless of the typing.

Lastly, nothing in the game would have been imbalanced regardless of Gyarados being a Dragon subtype. It would have just been different. With 493 Pokémon so far, and possibly more to come, Pokémon still hasn't become imbalanced and if Gyarados were to be a Dragon type since the beginning then nothing would be been off balance, so your use for imbalance to the game doesn't add up for me, sorry. :\

Overall, Gyarados is it was it, not a Water/Dragon, but a Water/Flying. Sadly, it's only flying move available to itself is Bounce, but regardless he still has better moves to cover up for its loss. It is still a highly used Pokémon with great history. If it would have been a Dragon type, then yes it would have been strong, but it wouldn't be the same Gyarados we were to know today. Basically, it is what it is no less of its look-a-like dragon appearance or its moves.

Years
    Honestly i think that the 2 type only is a bit restrictive, i would welcome the addition of another slot so you could have a 3 type pokemon (for example Charizard could be Fire/Dragon/Flying).
    I doubt very much this will ever change, but sometimes i find the 2 types a bit restrictive, and I at least would welcome it.

It is not a big deal thought, as you can play without much problems as it is. Adding a new type slot would require a lot of balancing work, so it is not likely to happen. The game is supposed to be simple and not too complicated, so that all people regardless of age can play it easily.

Last edited:

Rabbit

where is my mind?
    Years
    I agree that making Gyarados part dragon would have made him one of the strongest Pokemon in the game (in the 1st gen, at least). Being part flying gives him a whole ton of stupid weaknesses and a quadruple electric weakness, and he can't even get a decent flying STAB! Nevertheless Gyarados is a very good competitive Pokemon. Smogon lists him as being OU in both 3rd and 4th gen, and that's saying a lot considering how many strong Pokemon were released in 4th gen. So, if he's a good Pokemon despite his weaknesses, imagine him with just one weakness and STABed dragon-type moves. Ouchie.

Years
    • Seen Apr 20, 2011
    He was always one of my favorites. I remember giving him Hyper Beam, Fire Blast, Thunder, and Hydro Pump.

Until I realized that he was better with physical attacks in the 4th gen. xP

Griffinbane

I hate Smeargle.
    Years
    Methinks it's because Gyarados' design is based on the Chinese dragon. Chinese dragons were able to fly and control water and rain, according to legend.

Pokeyomom

Hoenn no you didn't...
    Years
    He was always one of my favorites. I remember giving him Hyper Beam, Fire Blast, Thunder, and Hydro Pump.

Until I realized that he was better with physical attacks in the 4th gen. xP

Omg yes. Before I had any comprehension of stats, I would load him up like that 2:P It was so fun to have awesome coverage on such a cool poke:D

@bout Mantine, who knows really? Should be a mono water type.

Guy

just a guy
    Years
    Why is Mantine Water/Flying?
    Mantine, even though it is seen more in the water, actually fits being a Water/Flying type Pokémon. Mantine has more of an opportunity to learn more than one flying type move compared to Gyarados and because of its size and design it is seen more as the Flying Bird of the Water you can say.

Gyarados doesn't portray in anyway that it can fly, regardless of it being shown in air a few times through the anime. So, it is a bit more obscure than it is for Mantime. Although, the best bet on why Gyarados was categorized as a Water/Flying is because of its based origin and strength in the game. If you really think about it, Gyarados being a part Dragon now would have definitely placed him in the Uber tier for competitive play rather than in OU. So, overall Gyarados is better off where he is now rather than what may have suited him more in my opinion.

Moltres111

<- Serious business.
    Years
    Meh. Electric isn't Gyarados' only weakness.. it's weak to Rock too.

Oh and please, no Water/Dragon typing for Gyarados. If it had that typing, we would see it in just about EVERY single team..

Pokeyomom

Hoenn no you didn't...
    Years
    Oh and please, no Water/Dragon typing for Gyarados. If it had that typing, we would see it in just about EVERY single team..

2 late for that Amigo. I see it on virtually every other OU team, if not more frequently. Lol but yeah the dragon typing would be horrible.

Guy

just a guy
    Years
    Meh. Electric isn't Gyarados' only weakness.. it's weak to Rock too.

Like mentioned, Gyarados is already seen in almost every team thus far. Both in-game and competitive play. However, I have to disagree with you, if Gyarados was typed as Water/Dragon then it would probably be seen more in in-game teams, because for competitive play it may more than likely be placed as Uber with such a wide movepool and high stats.

Oh yes, Gyarados is weak to Rock types because it is part Flying.

I wouldn't want it to be anything else.
    It would just be too powerful.
    Its fine how it is. :|
    This basically says it all for me, as great as the typing would be (and suiting), it would be way too powerful and basically is fine as it is now.

Years
    • Seen Jul 29, 2010
    It confuses me a lot and makes me really annoyed - I still don't get why it should still be flying

♣Gawain♣

Onward to Music!!!
    Years
    I
    Water/Poison works better for Tentacruel though. It doesn't have any electric attacks. I do not know if it could learn them with TMs.

I don't see the connection of poison and electricity. If you're speaking of nematocysts, they are packed with neurotoxins that can give you the "electrifying" effect.

Maybe because of it's origins Gyrados becomes a Water/Flying?

This basically says it all for me, as great as the typing would be (and suiting), it would be way too powerful and basically is fine as it is now.

Haha. Great because we can always pawn it with unexpected Electric type attacks, and Regice can do that. And if weren't for it's typing, it would be UBER.

And in any sense, I never used Gyrados, great as it is, but it's hideous.

Last edited:

ashketchum23

I love Pokemon!
    Years
    I am not really sure why Gyarados is a water type Pokemon. It could fly and swim. But to me, that makes sense. But it looks more like a water Pokemon. Why does Gyarados have to fly? I am kinda confused :D

Azonic

hello friends
    Years
    I really don't think the reason for its flying type has to do with logic in the real world. Dragon would definitely suit it better in terms of making sense, but with only one other weakness would overpower it, right? The flying type was a similar alternative that didn't give it too much power.

Edit: .......kay just read the first post. lol DDD:

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Back