• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Why is nintendo looked down on?

Years
  • I noticed something. Nintendo introduce something then everyone copies. Wireless controllers started with the NGC, Wi-fi now everyone does it.

If anything Sony and Mircosoft should be looked down on.

Nintendo all the way.

Meadow

[span="font-family: Handlee; font-size: 15px; font
    Years
  • In my place, it's because of Modern Warfare 2 obsessors. Along side that the Wii's graphics are decent, but the PS3 surpasses that by far. And also about the MW2 obsessors, they mostly think about Mario when they think of Nintendo, which leads them to assume that the whole company is childish. But of course, only fools (there are PLENTY) would think that.

GFA

Mega Blastoise is my homeboy
    Years
    • Seen Sep 7, 2018
    Becuase American like violence, and Nintendo is, primarily, a maker of kids games. Which arent as violent.

Dawn

[span="font-size:180%;font-weight:900;color:#a568f
    Years
  • I personally dislike the attitude Nintendo took a few years ago in telling gamers that they weren't their target audience anymore.

... That's a nice lie right there ._.

They totally didn't say that. They just picked a wider audience of gamers.

Years
  • ... That's a nice lie right there ._.

They totally didn't say that. They just picked a wider audience of gamers.

No, at e3 2008 they totally did said they weren't focusing on 'core gamers' anymore.

I noticed something. Nintendo introduce something then everyone copies. Wireless controllers started with the NGC, Wi-fi now everyone does it.

Nintendo have certainly been pioneers of gaming technology in the past, but now it's gone into the realm of gimmicks, as I previously said.

Incidentally, wireless pads have been around since the '80s, the Atari CX-42 RF-based joystick probably being the first, with Nintendo producing Infrared pads for the NES not long after.

Last edited:

sirboulevard

Apricorn Maniac
    Years
  • No, at e3 2008 they totally did said they weren't focusing on 'core gamers' anymore.
    And that was proven wrong at E3 2009 and most certainly at E3 2010.

Metroid: Other M
    Kid Icarus III
    Donkey Kong Returns
    Kirby Epic Yarn
    Paper Mario 3DS
    Zelda: Ocarina of Time 3D
    StarFox 643D
    Legend of Zelda: Skyward Sword

And now Xbox and PS3 are trying to break into the casual market with motion controllers while Nintendo uses the distraction to get core gamers back into their consoles. It was a pretty brilliant strategy actually since the Kinect and the PS3 motion controller aren't likely to be successful (most casual gamers own a wii!). E3 2008 was a fake out, and quite frankly it's super effective!

mooglehunter

Teh non-Haxor
    Years
  • i don't think it was a thought out strategy more like a lucky coincidence. natal is gonna fail completely as it is basically sony eyetoy 5 years later. playstation move actually looks more accurate then the wii, but it will still probably fail, but nintendo most certainly did not anticipate this, as they likely got sick of everyone calling them out on abandoning the audience that made nintendo a giant, which they hands down unarguably did abandon them for a long time.

Jolene

Your huckleberry friend
    Years
    • Age 28
    • Seen Apr 18, 2024
    Nintendo have certainly been pioneers of gaming technology in the past, but now it's gone into the realm of gimmicks, as I previously said.

But what's the difference between a gimmick and an innovation? Is a "gimmick" just an innovation which you happen to personally dislike?

natal is gonna fail completely as it is basically sony eyetoy 5 years later.

Kinnect will not fail. It will be one of the most popular things this Christmas.

And now Xbox and PS3 are trying to break into the casual market with motion controllers while Nintendo uses the distraction to get core gamers back into their consoles. It was a pretty brilliant strategy actually since the Kinect and the PS3 motion controller aren't likely to be successful (most casual gamers own a wii!).

I don't think that's what they are doing. I think that Nintendo are hoping that their really big audience of children and families can now be enticed to play some more traditional games. I think what they have always wanted is to make games that appeal to their fans and to the "casual" gamers, and now that so many people own Wiis they think it is a good time to start doing that.

Last edited:

Luck

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
    Years
    • Seen May 20, 2023
    I don't exactly hate Nintendo for milking their series so much that their other games are considered new because there's Yoshi and different levels(although I am annoyed by that), I just don't like their current console. The Wii has one of the most abysmal selections of games because it's so easy and cheap to make games for this generation, and with that sea of crap I have trouble finding a console exclusive that isn't milked to death already, ie. Mario, Zelda or any of the countless spin-offs of those games.

Well, they'll [sadly] keep doing it if everyone keeps asking for it.

I noticed something. Nintendo introduce something then everyone copies. Wireless controllers started with the NGC, Wi-fi now everyone does it.

If anything Sony and Mircosoft should be looked down on.

Nintendo all the way.

Oh my god, what terrible logic. It's like saying Bungie or Infinity Ward should be looked down on for making FPS's because id Software created the FPS genre. You know why people don't do that? Because they improved upon it. The Nintendo 64 didn't exactly have the best analog stick and it was improved on. This happened with everything, not just video games.

The jump from lucky to get one new installment in the Mario franchise a year to at least ten is awfully large.
    When you know something is true, you just use the literal interpretation. You completely trounced Nintendo hater logic with that.

At least they improved and didn't ***** out their series to everyone and their mother.

It's because Ninty doesn't deserve hating on. If it did, I doubt this site would be here~
    Debatable.

twocows

The not-so-black cat of ill omen
    Years
  • It might have something to do with them only having a handful of games targeted toward adults.
    Becuase American like violence
    That's offensive and untrue. What you're dong is perpetuating a stereotype.

Shanghai Alice

Exiled to Siberia
    Years
  • I really hold nothing against Nintendo, but...

Two points:

1. "Touhou wasn't meant for a Mac." And it wasn't meant for Nintendo either, so I favor PCs over Nintendo games.

2. Sony has most of the JRPGs. Admit it.

Alternative

f i r e f l y .
    Years
  • I think Nintendo are looked down upon, purely because now in this gaming era, we live in an FPS dominated world. No matter where you go people are always playing Modern Warfare 2, Battlefield 2 and other games.

Personally, I like the Nintendo because of the lack of FPS games. Surely they had brang us some good ones like Goldeneye, Perfect Dark etc. but Nintendo is moreso dominated by the Platformer era, which is the sort of games that Mario, Sonic, Donkey Kong etc. had starred in. It was also the genre of gaming that I grew up with. Trying to compete with the Xbox 360 and PS3 using other FPS games is dumb, and the Nintendo franchise should try to just stick with their awesome Platformer games. E3 for example has excited me for what is yet to come to us for the Wii, where the latter consoles always focus on FPS.

I think I rambled on about nothing there for a while xD

mooglehunter

Teh non-Haxor
    Years
  • i agree, though the correct term would be brought, not brang, but there hasn't even been a lot of good platformers from nintendo, or much 3rd party support for the wii at all up until recently

Years
    • WA
    • Seen Jul 19, 2012
    Nintendo is usually looked down upon by ignorant "Hardcore" players. I don't have a Wii nor do I have a Gamecube so I don't know much about their Libraries, but anyone who looks down upon the 64, SNES or the NES is just... wrong. Plain and simple.

mooglehunter

Teh non-Haxor
    Years
  • Nintendo is usually looked down upon by ignorant "Hardcore" players. I don't have a Wii nor do I have a Gamecube so I don't know much about their Libraries, but anyone who looks down upon the 64, SNES or the NES is just... wrong. Plain and simple.

fps boys WOULD be quite wrong for lookin down upon the 64 since goldeneye revolutionized fps multiplayer for themXD completely true kid

twocows

Years
  • fps boys WOULD be quite wrong for lookin down upon the 64 since goldeneye revolutionized fps multiplayer for themXD completely true kid
    Not true at all. Goldeneye was a great game, but it was hardly revolutionary. Duke Nukem 3D and Quake both came out before Goldeneye 007, and AFAIK they both already had 3D movement in all directions. There wasn't really anything new in Goldeneye that I can think of.

Alternative

f i r e f l y .
    Years
  • Not true at all. Goldeneye was a great game, but it was hardly revolutionary. Duke Nukem 3D and Quake both came out before Goldeneye 007, and AFAIK they both already had 3D movement in all directions. There wasn't really anything new in Goldeneye that I can think of.
    Goldeneye was revolutionary because of it's multiplayer game mode, which iirc Quake and Duke Nukem both lacked. Goldeneye pretty much defined the standard for multiplayer gaming in the FPS department.

twocows

Years
  • Goldeneye was revolutionary because of it's multiplayer game mode, which iirc Quake and Duke Nukem both lacked. Goldeneye pretty much defined the standard for multiplayer gaming in the FPS department.
    Also not true, and largely so. Quake multiplayer was what defined early FPS multiplayer. It was quite big at LAN parties, and even had some competitive play (tournaments and such; here's one example).

Back