• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Why is Pokemon so popular

JeTz

ジェット
    Years
    Mainly because of the Anime. Everyone got into it because those little monster can be store in a ball which is fresh and everyone gone to look abit.

When the game released, it get more popular. It also attract alot people to buy a GameBoy for playing Pokemon. It was a huge success back then so they kept on making the game into a higher potential whereby today has released HG/SS which profit them even more. Look if one area has atlease 10 kids own a Pokemon game then his/her friend will get know into Pokemon and nag their mom and dad for buying them Pokemon games. More and more spread = The Popular Pokemon Today.

Dunsparce

The Land Snake Pokemon
    Years
    • Seen Jan 1, 2023
    Mainly because of the Anime. Everyone got into it because those little monster can be store in a ball which is fresh and everyone gone to look abit.

When the game released, it get more popular. It also attract alot people to buy a GameBoy for playing Pokemon. It was a huge success back then so they kept on making the game into a higher potential whereby today has released HG/SS which profit them even more. Look if one area has atlease 10 kids own a Pokemon game then his/her friend will get know into Pokemon and nag their mom and dad for buying them Pokemon games. More and more spread = The Popular Pokemon Today.

Umm... The Games came first. The Anime is based on the games, not the other way around.

Also, I got into it because of the games. Where I lived, the only time the TV show was on was during school hours. A friend of mine had Blue, and as such it was the game that started it all.

Last edited:

JeTz

ジェット
    Years
    Umm... The Games came first. The Anime is based on the games, not the other way around.

Also, I got into it because of the games. Where I lived, the only time the TV show was on was during school hours. A friend of m ine had Blue, and as such it was the game that started it all.

Ohh. Sorry then didn't noticed that.

TheRichar

Check my Thread :3
    Years
    Well, i got interested in pokemon since i was a child, first a saw the anime and i really enjoy watching it! after that i got my gameboy and played a lot of pokemon games, i just like RPG games!

Okami Chi

El Guitar Man~
    Years
    ^^^ What he said is about it. Sadly, the anime is just to get people to buy the game now. They used to be for fun, and such, but I think Nintendo saw that as an easy draw in tool. Also it's Nintendo, they almost own the gaming world as we know it. They will make sure something gets known.

Dirtyjerry

TJ Kitchen
    Years
    • Seen May 16, 2011
    Most pokemon are cute and creative, kids like that. And the fact that there's so many to capture/collect really sucks a lot of people into the series imo.

Years
    • Seen Jan 25, 2013
    Well I guess its because the series is unique I mean traveling around the region using creatures to fight other people, and well to me, its like your own mini world, and not many other games are like it.
    ^^^ What he said is about it. Sadly, the anime is just to get people to buy the game now. They used to be for fun, and such, but I think Nintendo saw that as an easy draw in tool. Also it's Nintendo, they almost own the gaming world as we know it. They will make sure something gets known.
    Yeah I agree, the show used to be a lot more original, like the only thing it took from the games was Kanto and the Pokemon, and now the show is just a big marketing tool for the games.

Cheyanne

I have Yusei Fudo's Zorua.
    Years
    Is it the catchy names, good graphics or just the thrill of capturing and training? Etc

I like the competition. ;)

And how you can describe yourself with the different types of Pokemon there are, there is something for everyone.

Uecil

[img]https://i.ibb.co/4jfYrCT/tHdpHUB.png[/img]
    Years
    There is alot of reasons why it is so popular, i even remember in primary school, how popular the pokemon trading card game was, i think mostly because of the game and the anime was why

Years
    • Seen Jun 24, 2011
    For younger kids, Pokemon had the appeal of owning and controlling little (sometimes) monsters and going on a crazy adventure with them. Who didn't always want to run away with their giant, orange, fire-breathing dragon? Also, the anime was a big catcher, the clean graphics, constantly same storyline, and like-able characters made the Pokemon world seem like a fun world to live in.

For older kids (myself now), the strategy of competitive play, thrill of completing a PokeDex, or really knowing what it meant to COMPLETELY beat the game was the hook. Plus, even if you won't admit it, you still loved the idea of walking around with your little Pocket Monsters and bashing every unsuspecting CPU you could find.

In short, Pokemon is so popular because it provides, just like any other video game, and escape from the real world. In the Pokemon games, (and on PC) you can be whoever you want to be. That's the thrill of technology and the Internet today.

Lil MuDkiP849

Dream Chaser
    Years
    • NY
    • Seen Aug 12, 2021

Also, I got into it because of the games. Where I lived, the only time the TV show was on was during school hours. A friend of mine had Blue, and as such it was the game that started it all.

oh man i remember how back in the old days of only red and blue some kids in my class would fight over whats better red or blue or which starter was the best haha good times.

I got into it because everyone else was so into it as well, just like when the card game arrived afterwards (i didnt continue playing that after that got banned at my school though). So when i tried the game(which was red i remember) for the first time, i was *stunned* you actually got to choose which guy your guna take as your main guy and each had strengths and weaknesses right from the second you see them, and just the feeling of neglect you get when your rival picks the pokemon with the type advantage, there is seriously just no other game like it.

Years
    battles

I think its the battles that make pokemon really popular. The thrill of pwning other trainers is really addictive. Or maybe its the comic relief of naming your rival:)

.Gamer

»»───knee─►
    Years
    Competative battling and just trying the new games (even thought gen 4 was awful) but for some reason, I have to buy them.

Years
    • Seen Nov 17, 2023
    the ability to train and catch new pokemon and train them to defeat other trainers does sound exciting :3. and theres a variety to different pokemon to use for your perfect team.

Years
    I would say that to an ordinary child, probably the monster designs are what would draw them in. "Giant turtle with cannons on its shoulders, HOMG THATS AWESOME!!!" It also inspires the adventurous side of the youth, I suppose, what with the main character traveling everywhere, fighting evil peeps with kickass monsters that are conveniently stored in balls.

Personally, I first got into it because of the anime, and for the reasons I stated above. It's quite childish, but hey, that's where the market is aimed at mainly: young children. Nothing wrong with teenagers liking them, of course (or else I'd be a hypocrite), but it's just the marketing.

Back