• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

[Manga] Why is the anime bigger than the manga?

Years
    • they/them
    • Seen Apr 19, 2024
    Why do you think it is that the pokémon anime is so widespread across the world and well known and recognized by so many, while the various pokémon manga that exist are mostly known in Japan still? I've heard so many say that the plot and characters of most pokémon manga are so much better than the anime's.

Discuss :3

Years
    • Seen Oct 2, 2020
    That's just the way it works.

There are many series that are better in the manga than in the anime, and for pretty much all of them, the anime is still more popular than the manga. I have to presume that that's just because there are so many people who would rather watch an anime than read a manga.

Years
    • they/them
    • Seen Apr 19, 2024
    Yeah, I can imagine it's because the anime is a widespread children's TV show that very accessible. While manga still isn't regarded as common comic books everywhere, and even when they are, not as many kids read comics as watch TV these days, I suppose.

Oryx

CoquettishCat
    Years
    • Age 31
    • Seen Jan 30, 2015
    Cartoons are basically the same across cultures. While there are some distinctly Japanese things in the Pokemon anime that are mostly covered up, the entire genre of graphic novels is foreign to children outside of Japan. Not to say that they don't exist, but it's not something they necessarily grow up with, something that's as familiar to them as flipping on the TV. There are comic books, but those are a far different format.

It doesn't help that every manga costs money, while most people have cable to begin with. If manga was a medium that was just there in your house whenever you wanted it like television, then it would be more popular.

Years
  • I have to echo the fact that the accessibility of the manga isn't as simple as flicking on your TV and watching like it is with the anime. If it were, there's no doubt myself and others would've been a lot more into it, especially when Pokemon was in its heydays of the late 90s.

And to be perfectly honest, I've never even seen a single issue in any comic or book stores from the time I was a kid until now, so I feel like I've missed the boat on it. I remember seeing Pokemon books and magazines all over the place when I was younger, and bought them just because they were Pokemon related. If the manga had been readily available at that time, there's no doubt I would've got those too, and probably gotten into it like I did with the anime.

Elaitenstile

I am legend
    Years
    • Seen Feb 27, 2015
    I have to echo the fact that the accessibility of the manga isn't as simple as flicking on your TV and watching like it is with the anime. If it were, there's no doubt myself and others would've been a lot more into it, especially when Pokemon was in its heydays of the late 90s.

This could be the very reason why they didn't start a new anime series. In places outside US and Japan, I don't think there's much circulation of Pokémon. Nobody much has heard of it. So when kids watch TV and chance upon a Pokémon episode, it's the first time they've ever heard of it. And most people don't buy manga or comics that they don't know about, unless a friend or someone suggests it. Another reason is that there is so much manga, you couldn't judge which one would be the 'official' one.

Besides, anime has become the forefront of Pokémon, because of the long running series/

TickleTot

Shiny ruler
    Years
    • Seen Aug 6, 2020
    Not many people like to read manga, even when its better sometimes, i actually prefer watching anime myself but i read most of the time because the anime cant keep up with the manga.. :/

Years
    • Seen May 7, 2014
    Hooooooo, haha.
    Now that you say it... I have never even bother to look around at the manga!

Sure thing I have never felt any attraction to it, I don't know why. Maybe I should give it a try

The Void

hiiiii
    Years
  • Because TV has a more widespread influence on children and the youth than books, comics, and magazines. It's our culture that dictates this.

Years
    • they/them
    • Seen Apr 19, 2024
    Well, I admit that when there is an anime based off a manga, I often watch the anime by choice rather than to read the manga. Even when people say the manga is longer or better. There are also exceptions when I've read/watched both and compared. Manga is often better!

But with pokémon, which I'm not sure everybody realizes, there isn't just ONE official manga that the anime is based on. The anime is completely standalone and there are MANY manga with different stories, characters and worlds. None of which have been turned into an anime so far, from what I know. Rather, one of the Kanto manga and some from other regions are more or less loosely based on the events of Ash's anime.

That is why so many wish for an anime based on Pokémon Adventures. It could be made more mature and very different from the current anime, since the characters and plots are so different.

RoreyG

Lizardon Man
    Years
  • The answer is simply this:

1. the TV show is more easily accessible to a wider audience than the Manga itself; and

2. ADVERTISING!!!!

Years
  • Here's my two cents:

1. Advertising for the show is much more widespread than for the manga.

2. Anime is usually more accessible to kids, especially since it airs on Cartoon Network these days.

Annnnd a lot more stuff that I could say but I will just leave it at this for now. ^_^

Back