• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Why is the queen the most powerful chess piece?

zar

Years
  • Seen Feb 18, 2014
Chess is not a game of war strategy. Moving castles? Bishops in combat? I think not. It's to your own interpretation. I like to think of it as various ideas influencing you. Pawns are your social life, many individuals with a small impact. Knights would be chivalry in your life, always impacting it in unexpected ways. Bishops are religion, whether you are religious or not, religion has an impact on your life. Rooks could be either your location, or the architecture that surrounds you, I try to pay attention to what influences my life, but it's pretty difficult to tell if the layout of buildings you see really affects your thought process. Queens represent sex life, obviously the most powerful influence. King represents greed, the last to go down, and least visible effect to others when you explain your actions.

Renegade1

#1 Noob!
Years
To define 'stongest peice' for which situation? In chees a pawn can play a more vital role, then a queen given the circumstances. Therefore it's a stronger peice.

Zero Darkness

The Cripple Who Is Whole
Years
Look at Heroes V, in the human gameplay you control a queen that are in the battlefield, you have bishops and things like that, I think that its just the imagination of the game developers and that it could be everything, but queen was the best suited and so castles, knightes and bishops, and the king.
If you will teach people that dont know what chess is, and tell them the king is dog, the queen is cat, the bishops is caw and the knights is mouses that will not make a diffrence in the game!

Years
I always thought that, while the queen is certainly maneuverable, it was the pawns or the knights that were more "powerful", since they're the pieces that most affect the outcome of the game, as they determine the offensive/defensive positions.

Years
I personally think that the queen is the most politically powerful piece below the king, but a country's main leader is the king, who has to be protected. In chess, though, it is considered powerful because it can travel on every row and file that it is touching.

Years
Couldn't it also be because some of the best strategies of Chess means leaving the queen as your last defense, thus protecting the king? (Not all strategies, obviously, but enough to where you don't want to mess up and lose her either).
I always thought she was that strong so that she could take what was coming to the king, since he is what determines who wins and loses. What's a queen to the king, as long as he's alive and his 'kingdom' can go on and whotnot xD

Mr Cat Dog

Frasier says it best
Years
You all seen Game of Thrones? Those queens'll do anything to protect their kings... And, as Annie Lennox and Aretha Franklin said, "Behind every great man there has to be a great woman!" So, yeah. Don't mess with queens!

Years
  • Seen Jun 19, 2012
Because men were superior back in medieval times, nowadays, your wife/gf enslave you

Back