• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Why isn't Charizard Fire/dragon type

Status
Not open for further replies.

loliwin

→ Level 69
Years
  • but kingdra has a pathetic base attack compared to Gyarados

but it has a higher base special attack anyways so kingdra is better than gyarados - faster too i think, idk

Gyarados has I think, 81 base Speed while Kingdra has 85. But....

Kingdra has 95 defense, so Gyarados should rip it easily. xD

Years
  • Simple. Why would a starter be a DRAGON TYPE!!! unfair much.

I mean poor Blastiose only has one type (granted it doesn't get a double weakness)

Also it would make it more difficult to train cause Dragons are a pain in the rear end.

And would you want to wait until lv 50 to evolve your Charmeleon?

Safetyfirst

Chloe Moretz Fan
    Years
  • Starter pokemon are generally only Water/Grass/Fire + A basic type. A dragon starter would be unfair, as there are only 2 weaknesses (ice + dragon) and these are hardly found in the beginning of games. It would be chaos if they changed the type, too. Cause some games it would still be Fire/Flying. You can't release a pokemon then change its type

Years
  • Starter pokemon are generally only Water/Grass/Fire + A basic type. A dragon starter would be unfair, as there are only 2 weaknesses (ice + dragon) and these are hardly found in the beginning of games. It would be chaos if they changed the type, too. Cause some games it would still be Fire/Flying. You can't release a pokemon then change its type
    They did it to the Magnemite family in Gen||.

Iron Mankey

Gentleman Thug
    Years

• They did it to the Magnemite family in Gen||.

They simply added a type, not change it. Moreover, it's a type that shares the same weakness.

If anything, it made the Magnemite family much more versatile, while making sure that it didn't gain any unfair advantages.

There's the fact that it fit in with the lore very nicely.

Also- any changes between Gen I and Gen II do not share the same repurcussions should the same be done between the later generations, since Gen I would not acknowledge the new types, and simply treat it as they always have done.

Çĥäđ

Banned
    Years
    • Seen Jun 27, 2010
    Like said before, they did it so you didn't have a super strong starter o_o

Nathanyiel

It seems you lost the game...
    Years
    • Seen Oct 23, 2012
    Its a lizard with wings, not a dragon (though they are pretty much the same thing)

Charizard is a fusion of Charcoal and Lizard.

Years
    • Seen Sep 24, 2010
    I think it's because they didn't want a super powerful Dragon type as a starter.
    That would ruin the fun d:

Iron Mankey

Gentleman Thug
    Years
  • But the title says Fire/Dragon, not Dragon/Flying...

Yes, and we're debating as to why it should/shouldn't be a Fire/Dragon type.

The prevailing argument is simply because a Dragon-type starter would simply be too powerful, and have an unfair advantage over its counterparts.

Years
  • Well, ummm....it'd have to levitate, wouldn't it? And abilities were a 3rd Gen. introduction...

Yeah, I reckon it was so you didn't get gifted a dragon. It'd kinda cheapen catching a Dratini when you could just get given a Charmander, wouldn't it?

Anyway, I'm glad they made it how it is. I love Dragonite. I don't personally think Salamence should've been made. Although it's a cool pokemon, It ruined Dragonite's exclusive type combination. And now, with egg moves, Dragonite doesn't even have Outrage....

Still, Charizard, as a fire-flying type, sharing it's combo with only a legendary pokemon, Moltres, is probably superior to a legend anyway, so, who cares? It's still awesome.

NickofTime

Dancin' like a dragon
    Years
  • Yeah and shiny charizard is just awesome..... its like K.I.T.T (nightrider) with wings
    also not just salamence has dragon flying... so does raquaza....and altaria
    YOU FORGOT THE AWESOME ALTARIA
    in my opinion dragonite should lose the dragon type.... it has attenae, no teeth fairy wings, always smiling, and is obese
    dragonair is much cooler

Years
  • It says on Bulbapedia
    Origin
    Charizard resembles the European dragon, certainly one of many forms told and rendered in legends. Charizard's prominence as a dragon without being of the Dragon-type is further reinforced in the video game Pokémon Ranger, where one makes a cameo as one of four prominently featured patron elemental dragon Pokémon. The other three Pokémon sharing this distinguishing trait are legitimate Dragon-type Pokémon; Salamence, Kingdra, and Flygon. The patronage of these four dragons is inspired from the four classical elements; Air, Water, Earth, and Fire, with Charizard being the representative of Fire. It shares some evolutionary traits with Charmeleon in its distinctive horns; also a distinct trait in some dragons.

Go to Bulbapedia and search for Charizard and look far down the page.

Perriechu

i make this look easy tik-tik boom like gasoline-y
    Years
  • I haven't read through the rest of the thread so if this has already been said then fair does;

Charizard isn't Fire/Dragon because it's a starter, which means it will be way OP'd.

Plus in Generation 1 the only Dragon move was Dragon Rage which would of made his movepool even worse.

So there, Dragon starters are no no.

Sydian

fake your death.
    Years
  • What up bro, this thread hasn't been posted in since 2010. Please don't revive threads that are over a month old!

Locked.

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Back