• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

1st Gen Why play gen I (again)?

ShinyUmbreon189

VLONE coming soon
Years
  • Nostalgia.. I grew up on 1st and 2nd gen Pokemon games. Also RBY is a true challenge compared to most other Pokemon games.

Jetfire

أربعة ملوك السماوية
    Years
  • For the same reason people love to re-read books or continuously order the same thing at select restaurants. Not sure where I'm going with this.

Years
    • Seen Jan 18, 2017
    Because they are a damn good gameboy games.
    And buying a Gameboy + cartridges is pretty expensive right now, considering how they are valued as a collectible stuff.

Years
  • As X was my first pokenon game, I was just curious to see where it all started :) So I went and I bought Red. The funny thing is that I searched, found and begun playing some emulator version only a few days before the official announce of releasing VC games was made, so I was very happy because I like much more playing on console than on emulator :)

ZangooseClaw

Pokemon Philosopher
    Years
  • Totally agree that digging out the old hardware and cartridges every few months for nostalgic reasons is therapeutic but I have had a very difficult go of it trying to find the stamina to sit through the entire first generation re-release without feeling perpetuated by its slow gameplay and lack of skill management.

Raburesu

Technology is incredible!
    Years
    • Seen Jun 11, 2023
    I finally got around to buying Yellow from the eShop today. Normally, I prefer Red and Blue, but despite the 3DS's capabilities, those games were kept in black and white... (To make it more nostalgic...?) So Yellow has superior front sprites, in general, and it's in colour, yet it's the same price as Red and Blue? Sold. Plus, they changed the requirements for the Surfing Pikachu minigame to make it so that all you need is your Starter Pikachu! I've never played it, so this was another, albeit minor, factor in my decision. Also, they changed Jynx's sprite after all, which I actually didn't expect.

As for why RBY is even worth playing still, with the existence of Generation VI... It's personal for everyone. I enjoy the simplicity of Generation I and II. I don't have to worry about EVs or Natures and such when I play these games, which makes me feel more comfortable. In the newer games, my knowledge of the hidden mechanics sort of ruins my experience because it compels me to play the game in a calculated, specific way. On top of the number of Pokémon in the current era, there are just too many things to keep track of, and it can sometimes overwhelm the fun in my experience and make me not want to continue.

Reading that, I find it odd. In theory, the complexity Pokémon has these days should be attractive, but sometimes I just can't get into it. That's when the retro games come in and provide an adventure that still allows me to play intelligently while not being a game that doesn't make me feel like I need to start over after 25 hours because I made a team building mistake in my opinion.

Years
    • Seen Jun 7, 2016
    The graphics for me.... I've heard some people say they are awful. And true, it terms of the actual style, some of the pokemon sprites look kinda ugly and squashed. But I love going from a single coloured town to another in Yellow, the little blocks of pixels everywhere. It all feels like a great, animated, minimalist painting. It's not too over-stimulating and I find it kinda relaxing.

Last edited:
    Years
    • Seen Feb 9, 2024
    I had been talking about wanting to play the older games for awhile because Red was the first Pokemon game I ever played. I have played every generation except Diamond and Pearl because I didn't have a DS at the time.

HotaruSobotka

PENS BACK TO BACK CHAMPIONS!
    Years
  • To be honest, I waited about a week before doing so.

And now I see why... there's a lot of things I think we take for granted that weren't in that generation. (The item register, having to flipping CHANGE BOXES EVERY TIME ONE GETS FULL, and of course not being able to breed)

Years
    • Seen Jan 26, 2020
    For everyone here who has picked up the eshop releases, why did you do it? If you recall playing RBY in the past, what drew you back in? If you never played it before, why did you want to try it now (as opposed to or in addition to newer games)?

For me, I guess it's primarily nostalgia. I have so many great memories of the older games, and I wanted them in a format I could play on a modern handheld while lying in bed (i.e., not just on the computer). It's fun to think about things competitively now, too, as I didn't know anything about the metagame when I first started. (Admittedly, I have no one to play with locally, but it's fun to think about anyway and try out different Pokemon.) I love the newer games, too, but there's something soothing about the simplicity of the older games and the memories they bring.

Well, for me it is definitely a big part to do with nostalgia. But that brought me to the course of actually getting a Gameboy Color and the original game. I'm already learning a ton about keeping the handheld console working and keeping the game playing. Though reluctantly, I'm already working on a build for second Game Boy Color. I never owned any other Gameboy system than the GBC. Once I grind through the original I may move to an Advance to try the Fire Red or Leaf Green. I might even get what ever is out there now and try Moon and whatever eventually. But the biggest part of my playing the original again is that I am just getting my feet wet again. I am just now coming back to it after near a decade of not playing Pokemon anything. I'm just getting back in the game, starting with what I know and keeping my mind open, and we shall see where that takes me.

Back