• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Why so expensive?

Toxicroak

Mustard
Years
  • Why is Australia selling card packs for $7 when in the USA they're being sold for like $3?

The US dollar and the AUS dollar are equal-ish so I cant really see a reason why they're so expensive here

Years
    • Seen Sep 10, 2015
    I think the English-language cards are printed in the U.S., so getting them to Asutralia takes some money.

It's also due to random crazy decisions being made by companies. If exchange rates go up and down, they often don't adjust prices accordingly.

Exactly, it's the same way in Canada, the dollar gets on-par and no one feels like adjusting prices to match that fact. Up until recently the Australian dollar hasn't been nearly as strong as the US, so if they even do decide to make the proper adjustments in price it will take some time for it to take effect in the market.
    And yeah, English cards are printed in the US so shipping to Australia would mark up the price quite a bit.

Years
    • Seen Sep 10, 2015
    $4 is standard in Canada as well for hobby shops who know anything about Pokemon. Walmart, book stores, and toys r us always charge rediculous prices between $5.50-$8 per pack, because they don't know anything about it and probably figure people will pay anything for them because Pokemon is supposed to be popular. Not all card stores are reliable for good prices though, I've found that if they don't specialize in pokemon (they focus on magic, yugioh, baseball, etc.), they are even worse and charge really high for packs and especially singles.
    $6 per pack in the states is really high, I think if you did a bit of research you could find a much better deal.

Years
    • Seen Dec 16, 2022
    Possibly because of taxes and imports. In the uk they sell them at my local toy shop for £3.49.(Which is double the price of the US packs.) Judging by the price conversion, they should be no more than $3.50 aussie dollars. So it seams that it's the taxes doing the dirty deeds then or the shops are just being greedy as always -_-.

Years
    • Seen Apr 4, 2011
    I'd imagine import fees and the like are passed on to the customer in AUS. Supply and demand as well my friend

LAF

:D
    Years
  • Why is Australia selling card packs for $7 when in the USA they're being sold for like $3?

The US dollar and the AUS dollar are equal-ish so I cant really see a reason why they're so expensive here

I buy them for $5 at a comic shop in Brisbane City, the only time I've ever seen them for $7 was when I was in NZ.

But like a lot of things, prices are not adjusted to suit the exchange rate. For example, the i7 980x is ~$1300, and in the US it is ~$950

LAF

:D
    Years
  • Packs with a booster and extra cards? :(

The closest thing to that we have is an $18-$20 3 booster pack, with a coin and promo card

SmashBrony

Epic Adventurer
    Years
  • You think that's expensive?
    Well, guess what, at Collector's Cacthe, I found a Wailord EX single card...

THEY WANTED $299.99 (if I remember right) FOR IT!!!

GOOD GRAVY!!!

Pika-power

Jesus of Suburbia
    Years

Well, there like $5 a pop here. So not much difference.
    I bet in japan there like a dollar apiece..

Years
  • You think that's expensive?
    Well, guess what, at Collector's Cacthe, I found a Wailord EX single card...

THEY WANTED $299.99 (if I remember right) FOR IT!!!

GOOD GRAVY!!!

Well, that's for an out-of-print, hard to find single, not a still being printed card. That price sounds a tad high, though.

I'll take some Charizard line cards :D

I love Charizard :p

Haha, well they're getting harder to find and I'm full up on my Charizard quota, so I won't be buying anymore. ;)

Well, there like $5 a pop here. So not much difference.
    I bet in japan there like a dollar apiece..

O_o;; Where do you people go to buy your cards at those prices?! Seriously. You shouldn't be paying that much for a pack.

And they wouldn't be a dollar apiece in Japan because they use the yen as their currency, not the dollar. ;) They also have to fund the R&D largely on sales from inside Japan, and the cards are quite expensive to print.

Years
    • Seen Sep 10, 2015
    Ugh $300 for a wailord ex? That's insane. People think they can get away with selling that thing for absurd amounts through tricking people into believing it's an amazing card due to the high HP, even though it isn't in format. I know sandstorm is a hard set to come by, but seriously, $300 should net you the whole set.

SmashBrony

Epic Adventurer
    Years
  • Ugh $300 for a wailord ex? That's insane. People think they can get away with selling that thing for absurd amounts through tricking people into believing it's an amazing card due to the high HP, even though it isn't in format. I know sandstorm is a hard set to come by, but seriously, $300 should net you the whole set.

I don't remember, I'll have to look again, but I think they want around $800 for the whole set...

& the Wailord isn't that good... the more damage counters it got, the less damage it does...

But it does has a way to retore some health (by going into the bench, don't remember the amount of health restore, but I do remember it's very little) & the attack starts out with 100 point of damage...

Back