• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Why so expensive?

Years
    • Seen Sep 10, 2015
    You could get the set on ebay right now for $300 if you wanted to. For $800 I would expect to be able to get something a heck of a lot rarer than just a complete English set.

The Nightmare

"I fight for what I belive in"
    Years
  • Why is Australia selling card packs for $7 when in the USA they're being sold for like $3?

The US dollar and the AUS dollar are equal-ish so I cant really see a reason why they're so expensive here

Over here It's way expensive it cost for one pack $12.00 and for a giant pack is cost $20.00!, I thought australia was cheap?

LAF

:D
    Years
  • You Americans get all the luck. Here you'll get either a booster, a theme deck w/ a booster (or without), and sometimes I'll see those 3 packs with a promo card and a coin.

I was amazed when I saw the B/W preview tins in a shop last Friday. I bought one of each :P

LAF

Years
  • :( I don't think that's been released here yet.

What are they like? I don't play the vidya games so I don't know the pokemon too well, but I'm pretty disappointed with the names out of the preview tins

Years
  • The card designs are very different, but after removing the nostalgia associated with the names of previous generations (and that's the only way to look at this generation's names with a fair light), these names are better this generation than in any previous generation. Of course, that's after removing the nostalgia, which a lot of people on this forums have issues removing.

LAF

Years
  • Well as I said, I'm going by the starters and preview pack. I actually think that there has been less and less creativity with every new generation, and that's not just nostalgia.

But the preview pack? Pidove (pigeon/dove), Sandile (desert crocodile), Lillipup (little pup), Patrat (another rat??), and Purrloin (yet another cat)

It's entirely possible that these are the "animal" names that are seen in the previous generations, and it just happens that those are the ones chosen. But that's why I'm not too keen on them.

I'll still collect them, and maybe I'll grow to like the names, we'll have to see :)

Years
    • Seen Sep 10, 2015
    I don't know Donavannj, some of these names are going to be downright embarassing to say outloud to other people. I do think you're right that it's all about the nostalgia factor, when you say 'charizard!' out in public people generally don't think too much of it because everyone knows that name, first gen pokemon have this pseudo-vintage coolness now. But imagine me going around using names like sawk, throh, trubbish, vanillish, klinklang, etc. I would prefer them all to have kept their Japanese names, at least you don't sound rediculous saying them.
    Regarding the lack of creativity via mashing words together, let's not forget gen I:
    squirt turtle, war turtle, blast tortoise, bulb dinosaur, ivy dinosaur, venus (flytrap) dinosaur, magic carp, etc? Plus the ones which were just variations on their literal description like caterpie, pidgey, rattata, spearow, etc.
    I guess what I'm saying is, the names always sound bad when you are trying to Anglicise them via word-mashing, and they should just keep the Japanese names. Pikachu, zorua, these names are fine; trubbish?? Ugh.

Kikaito plush

Angeline plushxKikaito plush
    Years
  • Here in scotland boosters are about 4 quid and theme decks over a tenner.

I stopped buying them when the jacked up the price

AyameHikaru

Beauty Queen
    Years
    • Seen Jul 7, 2013
    And they wouldn't be a dollar apiece in Japan because they use the yen as their currency, not the dollar. ;) They also have to fund the R&D largely on sales from inside Japan, and the cards are quite expensive to print.

Actually, packs in Japan right now are 158 yen... That makes them about $1.90....

:P But their packs only have 5 cards, so it doesn't exactly count.

kelario26

PKMN Breeder
    Years
  • Why is Australia selling card packs for $7 when in the USA they're being sold for like $3?

The US dollar and the AUS dollar are equal-ish so I cant really see a reason why they're so expensive here

Almost definitely shipping costs.

Shining Raichu

Expect me like you expect Jesus.
    Years
  • I'm in Australia and I actually don't think $7 is that much for a booster pack, I'll happily pay it. But I bought six BW booster packs the other day and they were $6, so I'm even happier still.

Back