• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Why the hate on Popplio?

shellysunfish

Hoenn and cat Pokemon fangirl
Years
    • Seen Mar 3, 2019
    I wonder how much it has to do with it having a clownish look itself. Not everyone likes clowns or their facepaint, and here we have a Pokemon with the typical nose and white face of one.

I admit I also like it the least, but I am open to seeing what the evolutions look like first. Plenty of time for such info.
    I agree that there is often one less liked than others, but I think this was strongest with 5th gen's Oshawott, and considerably more so than Froakie from vague memory. Oshawott really had a large bandwagon of hate, and then really turned it around with its evolutions (which I love).
    That's also a fair point imo. And while we have had a bunch of cats, we haven't had a fire cat, nor for that matter a grass owl (or grass bird; flying dinosaur, yes, but not grass owl).
    :V
    Haha, poor thing.

I have my own image for it:

Why the hate on Popplio?

LOL! {XD}

shellysunfish

Hoenn and cat Pokemon fangirl
    Years
    • Seen Mar 3, 2019
    Poll taken from a Nintendo fan podcast:
    Rowlet: 49% Litten: 40% Popplio:11%

Ho-Oh

used Sacred Fire!
    Years
    • Seen Jul 1, 2023
    Poll taken from a Nintendo fan podcast:
    Rowlet: 49% Litten: 40% Popplio:11%

It's so incredibly weird though. Objectively Litten's design is more bland. A black cat with red stripes. Popplio on the other hand the design is way more creative. It seems more hated than Oshawott too and it's... personally a 'nicer' design. So odd. But hey when it gets an anime appearance (and an evolution) everything will change, for sure. :)

Dter ic

Fire Emblem....[b]HEROES[/b]
    Years
  • It's so incredibly weird though. Objectively Litten's design is more bland. A black cat with red stripes. Popplio on the other hand the design is way more creative. It seems more hated than Oshawott too and it's... personally a 'nicer' design. So odd. But hey when it gets an anime appearance (and an evolution) everything will change, for sure. :)

Litten may be more bland but maybe this is what people kinda expect from Pokemon design while popplio's more creative design takes getting used to I suppose.

I don't hate any other the starters although Rowlet was one that appealed to me first. It depends on the evolution now.

Years
  • At first I thought it was Litten that would get all the hate for being such a boring generic design. I personally loved Popplio and was surprised to see how much hate it's gotten. Hopefully GF doesn't ruin it with a shitty evolution. With a cool final form maybe it'll get the love it deserves.

Palamon

Silence is Purple
    Years
  • I don't hate Poppilo at all. I just think it looks a tiny bit silly and not as unique looking as the other two, lmfao.

It's not my favorite, no, the one that won me over is Litten. I'm thinking once the evos are out, people will change their minds.

Annataz

Master of Time and Space
    Years
  • I think all three starters are pretty cute. My only real problem with Popplio is that I HATE CLOWNS. I hope they don't lean too heavily on that with its evolutions.

Winter

[color=#bae5fc][font="Georgia"]KAMISATO ART: SOUME
    Years
  • Not sure where the hate is because I sure haven't seen anything hateful directed to Popplio. Just because it's the least popular starter so far doesn't mean people hate it, they can just prefer the others...

Ho-Oh

used Sacred Fire!
    Years
    • Seen Jul 1, 2023
    Quote from a bunch of people: "Not as unique"
    Look at Litten! You call that unique?

Exactly. Popplio is by far the most unique out of all three starters - it's an original concept (seel/spheal lines don't count) and can lead to a whole lot of cool things.

ALSO Popplio reminds me of this childhood book because... it just does.

Why the hate on Popplio?

And that is depressing in a way. :(

Annataz

Master of Time and Space
    Years
  • Clowns are terrifying dude. Hopefully if it becomes a Fighting type it'll lose that clown feeling.

Hopefully! Or it could just end up looking like a big, beefy bodybuilder clown o_O

They should focus on its acrobatic abilities. I like acrobats. Acrobats never hurt anyone.

Years
    • Seen Mar 13, 2024
    A good question indeed. Why DOES everybody hate Popplio? Probably cause it looks like a clown, and lets face it, there are alot of people on the planet that hates clowns. Except me. I don't hate the little guy. In fact, as a water starter fanatic, I'd have him in both of my first runs on Sun and Moon respectively.

Also, I really, REALLY want this guy to get an epic final evolution like Froakie did back in Gen 6.

Years
    • Seen May 28, 2019
    Really doubt it won't keep the clown motif.

Still sticking with it slowly losing most of its seal features as it evolves.
    Why the hate on Popplio?

Something like this would be fine by me. Goofy looking but not outright creepy, as much as I want that. (though those legs are weird)

Mawa

The typo Queen
    Years
  • I think all three starters are pretty cute. My only real problem with Popplio is that I HATE CLOWNS. I hope they don't lean too heavily on that with its evolutions.

And I HATE MIMES. I hope it doesn't become something that looks like that... *looking at you, mr. mime*

Years
    • Seen May 22, 2016
    Personally the hate is just a big running gag of a circle jerk. Personally, I despise its design, but I'm still waiting for the final evolution. I mean regardless I choose the fire starter every run, but I still want the thing to have a decent final evolution. The jokes won't end otherwise.

Back