• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Why the hate on Popplio?

OmegaRuby and AlphaSapphire

10000 year Emperor of Hoenn
    Years
    Really doubt it won't keep the clown motif.

Still sticking with it slowly losing most of its seal features as it evolves.
    Why the hate on Popplio?

Something like this would be fine by me. Goofy looking but not outright creepy, as much as I want that. (though those legs are weird)

It obviously missed leg day xD. Speaking of it becoming like Mega Swampert, it's chest seems to resemble Mega Swampert's face. That's not all that weird since some mons do appear to have faces of others in their bodies, either on purpose or not. For example Scizor's scissors resemble a Gen III mon, Trapinch. While Xatu seems to have the face of Sceptile. Meanwhile Dusclops and Perfect Zygarde have similar "mouths" on their chests. I do think these are just fan art.
    Not sure if anyone has mentioned this, but the katakana on it says Ashi-tsuyoi (- is to bypass the sensor). Tsuyoi means strong/good (as in how well one is at something). Ironically Ashi while taken from the japanese word for Seel sounds like the japanese word for legs, and this thing doesn't have strong looking legs...

Last edited:

Nas160

Sometimes here...!
    Years
    I wasn't very fond of it at all at first. Although, within the past week, it quickly grew on me and I think it's absolutely adorable. <3 I bought both versions of the game; whenever I start the second one, I'm going to definitely pick Popplio; it's easily my second favorite. <3

Why the hate on Popplio?

I can see why people dislike its design, but it has personally grown on me. :P As with the others, I'm looking forward to seeing its evolution! It seems it may gain the fighting type. I really hope this doesn't mean it evolves into something that isn't (as) adorable. I don't think we've had a starter evolution family that was cute all the way through since Chikorita.

Years
    • Seen Nov 13, 2019
    I just hope Rowlet and Litten doesn't get Bad evolutionary design to make Popplio more likable.

Meganium

[i]memento mori[/i]
    Years
    I'm actually planning to choose Popplio as my starter. Usually I go for the grass-type, but I'm not much of an Owl person myself. I thought Popplio was cute.

Years
    Popplio will be my starter for sure.
    It's far my favorite.
    I like a little the rowlet
    but I just hate litten I don't know why..

Years
    Personally I think he's just fine, though the design does feel a little... I don't know. I feel like someone could look at him and just see a cartoon seal, not a Pokemon. Though there are of course Pokemon like that, I feel they shouldn't be starter Pokemon.

That being said though, the little fellow is cute.
    I don't hate him, I like him. I just wish his design was better.

Like Litten, now that's cool looking. Plus I sure do love my kitty Pokemon, so it can't be helped.

Last edited:

Dracowyn

Hell's Traffic Accident
    Years
    It makes me think of clowns with that big round nose and the frill thing. And I really hate clowns.

So unless it gets a super awesome evolution, I'm not gonna pick that one and only get it for dex completement purposes.

Bobbylicious

Banned
    Years
    I like it. It's actually my favorite out of the three - Litten being my least favorite. My only problem with it is that Samurott literally looks like Popplio's final evolution, and makes a lot more sense than Oshawott. With a few tweaks, they could have easily kept Samurott's design and reused it in Gen 7 for Popplio's. I'm just worried Pop's final evolution will turn out gross. I hope it loses the clown theme.

Years
    • Seen Mar 21, 2021
    I don't hate Popilio I like him a lot actually it's the owl I don't like that much. There's always going to be a most popular Pokemon, it doesn't mean that people won't like the less popular ones though.

shellysunfish

Hoenn and cat Pokemon fangirl
    Years
    • Seen Mar 3, 2019
    Personally I think he's just fine, though the design does feel a little... I don't know. I feel like someone could look at him and just see a cartoon seal, not a Pokemon. Though there are of course Pokemon like that, I feel they shouldn't be starter Pokemon.

That being said though, the little fellow is cute.
    I don't hate him, I like him. I just wish his design was better.

Like Litten, now that's cool looking. Plus I sure do love my kitty Pokemon, so it can't be helped.
    Slighty off topic but, I love cat Pokemon too!
    Why the hate on Popplio?
    Why the hate on Popplio?

Years
    1) Jealous of it's adorableness 2) Clown-phobia :3

One thing this thread and the Popplio hatedom has taught us is that more people are scared of clowns than you first thought and won't like the prospect of a starter Pokemon that is literally a clown. I don't find clowns scary, though.

Back