• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

2nd Gen Why was Pokemon Crystal not named Pokemon Bronze?

Years
    • Age 29
    • Seen May 11, 2023
    Bronze sounds worse than Gold and Silver though, since Bronze is always considered the runner up prize to those two. I think they'd want something more special for the sequel to imply that it'd be better, so really that shouldn't been platinum by generic ordering of value, and since Diamond and Pearl were gem related, they should've got Crystal :3

Magica

Miss Magic
    Years
    I believe it was because of the mascots. Think about it.

Gold- Fitting because Ho-oh, the Phoenix of Fire and Reincarnation, is of gold and rainbow colors. Fire takes warm tones, like gold.

Silver- Lugia comes off as white, or even having silvery plumage. The crests and foam of ocean waves spray in silver.

Crystal- Suicune's 'horn' is like a giant crystal on its head. It's based on a qilin, so this makes sense. Also because it purifies water and makes it crystal clear again!

Mr Cat Dog

Frasier says it best
    Years
    I'm in perfect agreement with AlexOzzyCake on this one. Bronze - moreso than silver - sounds like a definitive runner-up prize. I imagine people would have negative connotations in picking up a theoretical copy of Pokemon Bronze, if it were to exist. The mascots point is also worth considering; I'd never really realised this, but I guess each of the games do have a corresponding mascot to fit with the game's name. That's certainly the cherry on the top.

Oryx

CoquettishCat
    Years
    • Age 31
    • Seen Jan 30, 2015
    I believe it was because of the mascots. Think about it.

Gold- Fitting because Ho-oh, the Phoenix of Fire and Reincarnation, is of gold and rainbow colors. Fire takes warm tones, like gold.

Silver- Lugia comes off as white, or even having silvery plumage. The crests and foam of ocean waves spray in silver.

Crystal- Suicune's 'horn' is like a giant crystal on its head. It's based on a qilin, so this makes sense. Also because it purifies water and makes it crystal clear again!

But they could have gone with Bronze and had Entei as the mascot, right? Entei's fur is bronze-ish. :x

Bronze sounds worse than Gold and Silver though, since Bronze is always considered the runner up prize to those two. I think they'd want something more special for the sequel to imply that it'd be better, so really that shouldn't been platinum by generic ordering of value, and since Diamond and Pearl were gem related, they should've got Crystal :3

I like this, that it should have been Plat/Crystal, not Crystal/Plat, lol.

Guest123_x1

Shortly after Gold and Silver were released, I was actually expecting a Bronze Version as the sequel game. "Crystal" was chosen to name the "sequel game" for Generation II to make it appeal more to customers than a Bronze Version. (As others have said, Bronze is a runner-up prize-as such, a Bronze Version probably wouldn't sell very well, if at all.)

Suicune is weaker then Ho-Oh and Lugia stat wise.
    So is Pikachu (Yellow), compared to Venusaur (Green), Charizard (Red), and Blastoise (Blue)-however this doesn't say much as Venusaur, Charizard, and Blastoise are the final forms of their evolution lines, as opposed to Pikachu being the base form in its evolution line at that time, (only to become the middle one with Generation II).

BryGuy Shinigami

Psychic Pokemon Prophet
    Years
    I think with Crystal being a superior version of the two (Gold and Silver), calling it an inferior metal would be kinda weird. I do hope they come out with a Pokemon Bronze, but as a dual game with something like Copper or something.

Years
    • Seen Jul 7, 2014
    I dunno how Crystal came up as a name, but the crystal-clear purified water sounds as good as anything to me. Gold and Silver, however, come from the fact that Johto is based on the western half of the largest island in the Japanese archipelago, called Kansai. (The eastern half, incidentally, is called Kanto. Hmm...)

In that region are two World Heritage sites, the Temple of the Gold Pavilion "Kinkakuji" covered in pressed gold leaf, and the Temple of the Silver Pavilion "Ginkakuji." Unlike its golden counterpart, the second one is only half-finished, not a single bit of silver leaf on it, due to the architect meeting his end before the project was done. There's even a joke in Lucky Star about this connection.

More information: https://www.smogon.com/smog/issue14/traveltokansai

Houndoomed

Battle Master
    Years
    Im glad its Crystal not Bronze. Bronze Just doesn't sound right for some reason, Im sure Nintendo and Game freak did surveys and market research before choosing the name to see which was more widely liked. Whats next Pokemon Copper lol?

Zeus

Sydian

fake your death.
    Years
    I agree with what AlexOzzyCake said, definitely. That and the matching mascot. However, if they went with Bronze, they could have easily used Entei instead of Suicine imo, but then you have that other factor of Bronze being the second runner-up prize, and as the deluxe version of that generation, who wants to have Bronze when you just had Gold and Silver? Crystal didn't really "go" with Gold and Silver, but was more like a refresher after them. When I think of crystals, I think of purity, like the term "crystal clear" and such, and idk, Crystal had clearer sprites and animations and etc. I shouldn't post late at night, should I? This probably makes no sense.

Edit: Okay, got it. Crystal is like...there's something fresh about it, and Crystal was a fresh start in Johto after GS...WITH FRESH SPRITES. THAT MOVED. AND IT WAS A FRESH START FOR FEMALE PLAYERS. I got this.

Elite Overlord LeSabre™

On that 'Non stop road'
    Years
    I wouldn't buy a game called Bronze after games called Gold and Silver... sounds like a major downgrade to me, and who wants to downgrade. Besides, Crystal just sounds so cool and exotic. Bronze is just... I dunno... plain :/

And Suicune is definitely more fitting of a game called Crystal.

XDragonRiderX

Time flies.
    Years
    • Seen Apr 24, 2021
    It sounds and looks better. It looks a bit like Gold. Imagine seeing a Pokemon Bronze box. It would look like Gold's box, just a different mascot. And the fact that it's color coded by legendaries. Don't you think blue would look weird on gold?

Years
    • Seen May 19, 2014
    I wouldn't expect it to be Bronze, in fact, I thought it would be Diamond or something. They must have taken this new idea that instead of having a trio first then the mix (like Red, Blue etc.) they would have two games then the "superior" one. Think about it:
    Gold, Silver - Crystal which is a more "superior" metal
    Ruby, Sapphire - Emerald; here too
    FireRed, LeafGreen Not a trio
    Diamond, Pearl - Platinum which is obvious
    HeartGold, SoulSilver Not a trio
    Black, White Not a trio

Few confusions about which is more "superior" I know, but Crystal must have seemed more fitting yes.

Oryx

CoquettishCat
    Years
    • Age 31
    • Seen Jan 30, 2015
    I wouldn't expect it to be Bronze, in fact, I thought it would be Diamond or something. They must have taken this new idea that instead of having a trio first then the mix (like Red, Blue etc.) they would have two games then the "superior" one. Think about it:
    Gold, Silver - Crystal which is a more "superior" metal
    Ruby, Sapphire - Emerald; here too
    FireRed, LeafGreen Not a trio
    Diamond, Pearl - Platinum which is obvious
    HeartGold, SoulSilver Not a trio
    Black, White Not a trio

Few confusions about which is more "superior" I know, but Crystal must have seemed more fitting yes.

I would have to disagree with this. First of all yellow is not a mix of red and blue. Second of all, Crystal is not a metal so comparing it to gold and silver is like comparing apples to oranges. Third of all, platinum is a metal, while diamond and pearls are minerals of vastly differing quality, making this point kind of moot as well. Not to mention that I'm pretty sure a diamond is way more expensive than platinum in the same quantity so technically it's the most superior. :P

Sephirothxx

Likes Ruby version
    Years
    Well, for starters, gold and silver are more valuable than bronze. Having Bronze as the name instead of Crystal would be a little backwards. Or, it would be Bronze and silver as the main games and Gold as the director's cut, instead of Crystal.

bobandbill

one more time
    Years
    I think this raises the old speculation in a way that Gold/Silver were initially meant to be the last games in the series by Game Freak according to some interview a while back... maybe that didn't include Crystal? That would explain them shoving in the sideplot in crystal about Eusine/Suicune and going with a name that didn't quite fit the Gold/Silver (metals) motif - they didn't initially plan ahead that far, assuming that was the case. Or they just didn't plan ahead that far and didn't plan a third game at the time of Gold and Silver. After all Yellow was there mainly because the anime and Pokemon as a whole was so darn successful, so maybe Crystal was an afterthought too?

But certainly the Suicune-head-gem thing and the fact bronze just plain sounds 'worse' than gold/silver would be the main reasons behind it imo.

Sector

Banned
    Years
    • Age 33
    • Ohio
    • Seen Oct 10, 2016
    I've always wondered why Crystal because...

Platinum seemed more worthy to Suicune.

Until Giratina took it :O

Back