• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Why would you get rid of that? You idiot!

Shining Raichu

Expect me like you expect Jesus.
Years
  • I remember as I was growing up, a lot of my friends would give away their old video games once they had finished with them, or in most cases sold them back to the game shop in order to get new games cheaper.

Now, as I knew would happen, they regret it. They miss their old (now vintage) games and desperately want to play them again. If I meet one person who used to have Zelda: The Ocarina of Time but does no longer, I might just give up on life.

Have you ever given away any of your old video games or consoles? Do you regret it now?

Killjoy

"He was a laser fish."
    Years
  • Yep. I remember trading away my PS2, and games, to get an Xbox back in the day. I didn't really regret the fact that I didnt have a ps2 anymore, but I do regret loosing the PS2 version of Delta Force: Black Hawk Down. I loved that game, and the Xbox version wasn't the same at all. I think the PS2 version must have been like a newer port of the game.

I also lost all my old Mega Man Zero games. I really liked those

Mr Cat Dog

Frasier says it best
    Years
  • I'm still slightly annoyed that I allowed my parents to sell my Pikachu N64 on eBay. Out of all the consoles I've ever owned, that was probably the most special to me. Its cheeks glowed red when it was on and everything! Most of the others I've had no problem either giving to family members or just trading in for money off future games (hellooooooo, GameCube), but that N64 had a dear place in my heart.

Last edited:

Mr. X

It's... kinda effective?
    Years
  • I didn't give away a lot of my personal stuff, but I was the person who would buy almost whatever someone else was selling.

Sydian

fake your death.
    Years
  • I didn't give any of my games or consoles away. Ever. I love them too much, no matter how old they are now. I lost some games and a Game Boy Pocket, but obviously that's different than just giving it away. I have traded in games before. But they were movie based games that sucked. So I don't regret that haha. But yeah, I don't sell or give away any of my games. IT'S JUST WRONG.

Years
    • Seen Dec 16, 2016
    I have sold my near min condition gbc seagreen(well this turquoise)

I got on ebay a gba which has a ton of light scratches on the display hardly to see from an angle but when playing they are very much there.

Also I sold my pokémo sapphire to get emerald. I thinkwhile the battle zone is nice and fun , I just liked sapphire more.

Yoshikko

the princess has awoken while the prince sleeps on
    Years
    • Seen Apr 27, 2020
    As far as I remember I have never given away any of my games or consoles, I am way too attached to them and I have used them throughout my life too, I've never even thought about disposing of them because I've always used them. And even things that I don't play or use anymore, I want to keep because they are dear to me!

Years
  • Plenty of times man. Trade in old games to soften the blow on my wallet to get new ones. It's only rarely that I end up having regrets about giving up old games. Admittedly though I have kept my old Pokemon games and will never trade them away!

Unknown#

'Cause why not?
    Years
  • While I occasionally trade games in at GameStop, they are normally games I didn't like. However, when I was about 6 or 7 my sister gave away her Sega Genesis. I wish she had kept it, and I think she regrets giving it away.

Cherrim

PSA: Blossom Shower theme is BACK ♥
    Years
  • I've always been a pack rat so I've never really sold a game or a console. I've sold games to friends if I've had more than one copy, which is occasionally, but other than those specific times I can't think of any reason I would have.

I go back and replay things all the time and most of the games I would think of selling are probably only worth a few dollars and to me, that's not really worth the chance that I might want to play them again.

Years
    • Seen Jan 31, 2012
    I gave away my Yellow

I had a lv100 Pikachu

but am glad that the money i got i bought pokemon red XD

Now i have a mew lv100 aww i miss those games

Brane

-
    Years
    • Age 30
    • Seen May 10, 2016
    Halo 1 and Halo 2 :''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''(

Plus Red and Blue, as well as Crystal and Gold.

I also managed to give away Super Mario Sunshine as well as my Nintendo 64 which had Pokemon Stadium 1 and 2, as well as Snap and Super Mario 64.

PS1 with Crash Bandicoot as well.

I'm probably gonna have an assassination order placed on me.

Years
  • There was one instance where I loaned a game to a friend and never got it back. There's been a few times where I've given games to my little brother, who I knew would play them more than me. Off the top of my head, I remember Disgaea 2 and Tales of the Abyss (which he can't even play, what?). Wouldn't be surprised if I've given games to my sister, too.
    I don't like giving away or selling games if I can help it, on the extreme off-chance I'll want to play it again someday. Lately that hasn't been happening, though, so I'd probably be more likely to give games away if I knew someone else would want them more.

My biggest lost game regret was Crystal, which I lost on a trip. It was my favorite Pokemon game, and I never got another copy of it. ;___;

The second biggest lost would be due to my dear mother, who in her infinite stupidity, decided to throw away an old SNES and games we had. My sister and her husband collect old gaming systems and games, so my sis is more outraged about it than I am. Personally I'm more boggled. Could've sold the games on eBay or something at least. :s

Akeraz

Winning is Magic
    Years
  • To me it honestly depends on the game. Some games I will sell, others I won't. I usually keep anything that I put any more than 100 hours in to, as a rule.

However I am one for getting rid of consoles if the old systems games will run on the new one. (I.E. I got rid of my PSX when I got my PS2, but not my PS2 when I got a PS3).

Personally though, the way digital distribution is going, selling games and such is going to become a thing of the past. Not that I have a problem with that, I absolutely love steam, and generally don't regret many of my purchases.

xelarator

Gentlemen.
    Years
  • Halo 1 and Halo 2 :''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''(

Plus Red and Blue, as well as Crystal and Gold.

I also managed to give away Super Mario Sunshine as well as my Nintendo 64 which had Pokemon Stadium 1 and 2, as well as Snap and Super Mario 64.

PS1 with Crash Bandicoot as well.

I'm probably gonna have an assassination order placed on me.

You do realize that I have to kill you now? I will not say anything else since I may be marked down for flaming, harasment or something, but know this: IM WATCHING YOU.

Just Kidding!

I only sold games that I didn't like at all, and if I had to sell a good game that I loved [Final Fantasy I & II: Dawn of Souls for GBA] I would start crying. This when I was five.

WhiteExterior

Back from Beyond
    Years
  • I tend to have an attachment to my old consoles and games, and still have the old Super Nintendo and Nintendo 64 systems because I enjoy playing them from time to time. My father, however, did give away a lot of our old games and I was rather upset about that. From time to time I'll find them cheap somewhere and purchase them again, but still.

So no, I don't typically let my old things go, but mostly because I'm a sucker for the oldies.

Years
    • Seen Nov 5, 2017
    I don't do this, but my brother does. He sold Assassin's Creed 2 before I had a chance to complete it, he sold The Orange Box which is amazing, Splinter Cell Convictions which was one of the best co-op games we had; there are others but they can't have been that great because I can't remember what they were.

My babay is my original PlayStation console, and the tiny portable TV I had with it; still in working order. Never getting sold.

Years
    • they/them
    • Seen Dec 11, 2023
    There was only one time when I sold games, and to be quite honest I don't really remember the games that I sold, so it's all good! Soyeah, for the most part none of the games that I have will probably get sold, even though barely any of them have been completely defeated.

If anything though, there is one game that will never ever be sold, and that's Tales of Symphonia. ♥ It's my baby and my life, so selling it would basically be giving my life away.

Oryx

CoquettishCat
    Years
    • Age 31
    • Seen Jan 30, 2015
    If I meet one person who used to have Zelda: The Ocarina of Time but does no longer, I might just give up on life.

Why would you get rid of that? You idiot!

I traded it with a friend in 5th grade for Super Mario 64 because I couldn't beat it anyway and I wanted to try it. But then I moved away and we never traded back so it's gone forever~

I generally have no regrets on getting rid of a game. I'm very unique in that I almost never go back to games. I don't replay. I don't even go back to playing if I quit for a long time. When I play a game, I throw my heart and soul into it because I know if I stop playing for a few days, I just won't ever go back. So when I'm done, I'm done. When I'm done playing an MMO I even give my accounts/gear away because I know I won't come back, haha.

Mr Cat Dog

Frasier says it best
    Years
  • If I meet one person who used to have Zelda: The Ocarina of Time but does no longer, I might just give up on life.
    Oh wait, I didn't read this before... yeah, I did that! No real regrets though, as it just confirmed that Zelda isn't for me.

Have fun giving up on life! :D

Back