• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Wii U (Wii successor) Speculation/Information thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Years
  • As with all new Nintendo consoles these days, it is of course frightfully interesting; however, I think it will be made/broken in the hardcore market based on how suitable those circle pads are for intense gameplay (same type of thing as on the 3DS), and how ergonomic it turns out to be. Unfortunately, in these respects, it doesn't look too promising. However, if it supports other controls (such as the GOOD OLD GAMECUBE controller), this shouldn't really be too much of a problem... but then, you get another problem, where developers won't add the new controller's unique functionality because GC and "Classic" controllers will be common.

TRIFORCE89

Guide of Darkness
    Years
  • I have mixed feelings. I have no problem with the idea, I just think it needs some polish. That controller is so big and it looks very uncomfortable to use as a controller (but fine as a tablet).

The execution of the Vita is more inline with what I thought this was going to be like.

I pictured a widescreen Game Boy Advance (the original one, no the SP or anything else) with:
    - GameCube or Classic Controller Pro grips
    - Two GameCube analogue sticks (they're the best I think Nintendo's released, the actual control stick one, not the c-stick)
    - Game Boy Advance d-pad (but smooth like on the DS lite and after, not textured)
    - SuperNES Y, X, A, and B buttons
    - Mic and camera like on the 3DS
    - +, -, and Home buttons like on the Classic Controller Pro
    - L and R like on the Game Boy Advance
    - Trigger buttons like on the Xbox 360 (but more pressure sensitive like on the GameCube)
    - Vita-sized screen
    - Ergonomics like the GameCube controller
    - Everything in "Wii White" (and some clear buttons like on the Wiimote/Classic Controller)

More like a traditional control with a screen in the middle, and less like a tablet. Oh well. On the other hand, that would make a great Game Boy if they ever revive that.

I know it's probably just a prototype right now. But, it's so bulky and Fisher-Price looking. It lacks the "fake Apple" elegance Nintendo had last generation.

Yuoaman

I don't know who I am either.
    Years
  • I've read comments that the Wii U controller is actually pretty comfortable to hold - considering its size. Though I guess it'll probably be a personal thing - just like how some people prefer Playstation controllers over Xbox controllers.

Edited to add: According to Miyamoto, at the moment the Wii U only supports one of the new controllers - though that doesn't eliminate the possibility of them working out the issues in multiple controllers over the next year.

Edited to add again: As well, Nintendo has confirmed that the Wii U's pricing will be competitive with the PS3 and XBox 360 at launch - which adds credence to the $300 hypothesis.

Last edited:
    Years
  • I've read comments that the Wii U controller is actually pretty comfortable to hold - considering its size. Though I guess it'll probably be a personal thing - just like how some people prefer Playstation controllers over Xbox controllers.

Edited to add: According to Miyamoto, at the moment the Wii U only supports one of the new controllers - though that doesn't eliminate the possibility of them working out the issues in multiple controllers over the next year.

Edited to add again: As well, Nintendo has confirmed that the Wii U's pricing will be competitive with the PS3 and XBox 360 at launch - which adds credence to the $300 hypothesis.

I agree it is down to the consumers and how the feel the controller feels in their hands, but from looking at it personally, I don't think it is going to feel right. I could be wrong and I will try it out, of course, but I don't think I will buy it unless some incredible titles are released for it, because to be honest, Nintendo have really let me down with the Wii. After so much hype, it fell on it's face so hard for me.

And yes, correct Yuoaman, as of so far, you can only buy one controller and ONE CONTROLLER ONLY. There are no plans as of yet to increase the amount that you can have connected to one console, but I think it would be pretty stupid for them to only have one controller for one console.

The price tag I think will be between $300 - $400, any less and there is something dodgy going on, any more and they won't make that profit, IMO.​

Mew~

THE HOST IS BROKEN
    Years
    • Seen Apr 13, 2016
    The price tag I think will be between $300 - $400, any less and there is something dodgy going on, any more and they won't make that profit, IMO.
    I wouldn't be suprised if they played Sony at their own game to be honest.

Last edited:

razzbat

dancer
    Years
  • I agree it is down to the consumers and how the feel the controller feels in their hands, but from looking at it personally, I don't think it is going to feel right. I could be wrong and I will try it out, of course, but I don't think I will buy it unless some incredible titles are released for it, because to be honest, Nintendo have really let me down with the Wii. After so much hype, it fell on it's face so hard for me.

And yes, correct Yuoaman, as of so far, you can only buy one controller and ONE CONTROLLER ONLY. There are no plans as of yet to increase the amount that you can have connected to one console, but I think it would be pretty stupid for them to only have one controller for one console.

The price tag I think will be between $300 - $400, any less and there is something dodgy going on, any more and they won't make that profit, IMO.​
    from the sounds of things i think they mean you can only have one of the new screen controllers connected, but you can hook up the same number of wii/cube/classic controllers as the wii.
    while i am very excited about this console i cant help but think that its announcement was a little underwhelming. it was great to see the controller in action, seeing its possibility and what not, but what makes me hyped about a console is the games that get released on it. The 3ds had alot to show on its announcement with a strong lineup but unfortunatelly for the wii u, i could only see tekken and ssb, which was only just mentioned. while i know that this console will be awesome and many great games will come to it, i thought that maybe nintendo should have waited a bit longer before announcing, where their would be a whole heap of games to show, and not as many people would be so disapointed and turned off.

Yuoaman

Years
  • from the sounds of things i think they mean you can only have one of the new screen controllers connected, but you can hook up the same number of wii/cube/classic controllers as the wii.
    while i am very excited about this console i cant help but think that its announcement was a little underwhelming. it was great to see the controller in action, seeing its possibility and what not, but what makes me hyped about a console is the games that get released on it. The 3ds had alot to show on its announcement with a strong lineup but unfortunatelly for the wii u, i could only see tekken and ssb, which was only just mentioned. while i know that this console will be awesome and many great games will come to it, i thought that maybe nintendo should have waited a bit longer before announcing, where their would be a whole heap of games to show, and not as many people would be so disapointed and turned off.

Because, all of these games weren't enough:

Aliens: Colonial Marines
    Assassin's Creed
    Batman Arkham City
    Bioshock Infinite
    Darksiders II
    Dirt
    FIFA Soccer
    LEGO City Stories
    Madden NFL
    Metro: Last Light
    Ninja Gaiden III: Razor's Edge
    Raving Rabbids
    Pikmin 3
    The Sims
    Tekken
    Tom Clancy's Ghost Recon Online

And of course the awesome Killer Freaks From Outer Space which I cannot hype enough.

Solodomo

Psychic Trainer
    Years
    • Seen May 5, 2012
    This Wii U thingumajig

what i don't understand about the wii u is that nintendo used 360 and ps3 footage in those 3rd party games they showed. Reggie even admitted to it like he was drunk when preparing for the presentation and just remembered days later what the company did. the system also doesn't even have enough info for me to know about it...

countryemo

Kicking against the earth!
    Years
  • what i don't understand about the wii u is that nintendo used 360 and ps3 footage in those 3rd party games they showed. Reggie even admitted to it like he was drunk when preparing for the presentation and just remembered days later what the company did. the system also doesn't even have enough info for me to know about it...

Well its because the games arnt even close to being showed. its showing titles that will be on it (as of now, lets see) the whole system isnt even 100% done (the design sure, but yeh)
    Youll get more info later on. What more info do you want? Wait till E3 2012. If its not released before then ;)

Solodomo

Psychic Trainer
    Years
    • Seen May 5, 2012

Well its because the games arnt even close to being showed. its showing titles that will be on it (as of now, lets see) the whole system isnt even 100% done (the design sure, but yeh)
    Youll get more info later on. What more info do you want? Wait till E3 2012. If its not released before then ;)

oh that makes more sense now. well i guess all we can do is wait for E3 2012...at least i know a new zelda game will be on it.

Dawn

[span="font-size:180%;font-weight:900;color:#a568f
    Years
  • I'll just say this again; I don't believe the rumors. Being a stronger console than the 360 and PS3? It just doesn't sound right considering Nintendo would make very little profit, if any, on their consoles. More power to them if Project Cafe is that strong though.

They're 5+ year old consoles. This is the world of technology. It would be absolutely pathetic if it /wasn't/ stronger than a last gen console. I hate to point it out, but the technology used to make 360s and PS3s is officially out of date in the gaming world.

(INB4: Rage about what makes something out of date >_>;)

MiniminGames

aka MGPlatinium
    Years
  • I think the Wii U will be awesome except I've got a couple nitpicks with it:

-Resistive touch screen on the controller. Being resistive, you gotta put pressure for it to detect input, much like the (3)DS. Besides, no multitouch! Anyone who's used capacitive screens know they're generally better… I really do hope they change it for a capacitive.

-The name. Wii U? What's that supposed to mean? I was honestly not expecting that… Maybe they didn't change the name completely do the Wii brand didn't die.

But anyways, really looking forward to it :]

Yuoaman

Years
  • I think the Wii U will be awesome except I've got a couple nitpicks with it:

-Resistive touch screen on the controller. Being resistive, you gotta put pressure for it to detect input, much like the (3)DS. Besides, no multitouch! Anyone who's used capacitive screens know they're generally better… I really do hope they change it for a capacitive.

-The name. Wii U? What's that supposed to mean? I was honestly not expecting that… Maybe they didn't change the name completely do the Wii brand didn't die.

But anyways, really looking forward to it :]

Unless you have tiny fingers a capacitive touch screen is the worst. Plus, they're far less accurate - most of the time capacitive touch screens have to ballpark where you're finger is, which is why iPhone/iPad game buttons are so big - those screens aren't made for precision gameplay.

Years
    • Seen Nov 6, 2017
    im not as excited about the wiiu as too me is seems to be more of an updated wii much like the xbox 360 slim. although the new controller and hd graphics can prove me wrong, i was more excited about this when the rumors made it seem alot cooler in my opinion.

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Back