• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Chit-Chat: Wiicked Cool Daily Chit-Chat

Status
Not open for further replies.
Years

• I've actually been meaning to get into that series, although I'm not sure what I should try first - Sly Cooper, Jak and Daxter, or Ratchet and Clank. I wasn't really a Sony gamer when that era of platformers came about, so I've not tried any of them yet. Would you recommend starting with Sly, or one of the other ones?
    I've only played the first Jak and Daxter, and I haven't played any Ratchet and Clank game, but I think the original Sly trilogy was charming with fun music and amusing gameplay~
    I still haven't played Thieves in Time, however. Hrmm... I wonder how playing the Sly games now would differ from when I first played them as a kid?

Razer302

Three Days Grace - Break
    Years
  • I personally prefer Ratchet and Clank over the other 2, I loved Jak 1, but 2 and 3 went for a completely different style which I didn't enjoy, took to much influence from GTA. Which to me I really didn't enjoy and took away from what I loved about the first game.

pkmin3033

Hmm...I'll have to give them all a go somewhen. Add Prince of Persia to my list of things-to-do as well; the trilogy is ridiculously cheap on PS3 now.

Honestly, I miss the days of anthropomorphic platformers. Crash Bandicoot, Sonic the Hedgehog, Banjo Kazooie, Croc, Gex...etc. It's one of the reasons I backed Yooka-Laylee, and why I'm so excited for it, even though it's a long way off. It feels like this type of game has gone out of fashion, which is a real shame.

Leviathan

[span="font-family:ubuntu; color: whitesmoke; padd
    Years
  • I hear that loud and clear! Bright, vibrant and anthropomorphic-like characters were my favourite things in a video game back then. I still haven't fully bought into the 'gritty realism' that encompases many triple a games these days, but if something is good, and I like the story, I'll give it a try.

I've played Prince of Persia in bits and pieces. Like DMC, I only played it for the first time when it came to PS3. Final boss in 1st game was almost laughable. As for sony's ps2 mascots, they're still fun if you don't expect much of a challenge (at least for Sly and Ratchet) and can appreciate how old they are now (always saddens me when I see people give out about camera angles. I wonder if they realise the games came out well over 10 years ago now). Ratchet and the later Jak games are your cut 'n' paste 3rd person shoot-'em-ups with platforming elements squeezed in.

Sly is platforming too but attacks kinda take a backseat to stealth elements, for the most part. Funnily enough I actually returned to Sly 4 this year and plat'd it for ps3 and ps vita (thank youuu cross save! <3) It plays like the old games for the most part...except with frequent load screens. There's a certain plot-twist in it too that, if you played the 3rd game, might be mad about. I certainly was, and it admittedly put me off completing the game for a long time, haha.

As for my own gaming adventures, I somehow managed to get all the 'don't take damage during x boss fight' trophies, which got my hopes up a bit that maybe I could plat Metal Gear Rising after all.

Then I started a new game on Very Hard and got my butt kicked by a UMG Gekko in less than a minute. Fun. </3

pkmin3033

That kind of fancy-free fun isn't really anywhere to be found in the industry outside of Nintendo these days, who really are still stuck in the 90s...with all the positive and negative connotations that implies. The so-called AAA industry has long since forgotten how to have fun, and it's why I will very rarely give them the time of day. I try to be open-minded and fair until I've seen enough of a game to judge it, but honestly when it comes to AAA games I tend to write them off with the first trailer. Played one war-based FPS, played them all. Same with gritty stealth-based games, mythological action-adventures, and all the rest. There are some noteworthy exceptions, but those are few and far between.

I wish they'd just inject some FUN into things again. Fun sells too! Nintendo are still in business after all, and there are others who are making money off it too...it wouldn't kill these so-called AAA developers to make some games not marketed at testosterone-fuelled, sexually-frustrated, maniacal teenage boys. I get that these can be fun for some people too, and fun for those outside of that particular audience, but the market is SATURATED with them right now, and they're practically identical. It's depressing.

I think the series like Ratchet and Clank, Sly etc. are a kind of transition phase between the whimsicality of up to and including the PS1 era and the gritty realism of the PS3 era onwards (I forget generation numbers, haha) which is kind of why I want to experience them now...I kinda missed that phase, since I was firmly entrenched on my Gamecube when they first came out, and Nintendo haven't HAD that phase as of yet. Plus there isn't really anything new like them on a non-Nintendo console right now, unless you count the likes of LEGO Dimensions, Disney Infinity and Skylanders...which I don't. The closest you'll get otherwise are the LEGO games, and those are glitchy, frustrating messes that lost a lot of their charm to me when they added voice acting. Sure, there are some colouful indie titles, but...well, it's just not the same. Indie titles don't have proper trophy sets either, haha.

I should just go back to my obscure JRPG corner and stay there, I think. xD

Last edited:

pkmin3033

TV Tropes tries way, waaay too hard to find things that just aren't immediately apparent sometimes. I'm talking about fun in the sense of Saturday morning cartoon fun; strolling through a light-hearted, whimsical fantasy world defeating the stereotypical evil villain who isn't even remotely threatening.

I'm not saying these serious things can't be enjoyable, because obviously they can - they wouldn't sell nearly so well otherwise - but they're not FUN, at least not in that sense. They're always so serious, gritty and "realistic" that it's depressing; they take themselves far too seriously. They're intended to be taken seriously, and to involve you in the story...which isn't necessarily a bad thing at all, but as I said, the market is over-saturated with this kind of thing, and personally I'm experiencing a severe desensitisation to these so-called "emotional" moments that serious games have: I've seen it all before. It's predictable, plodding, and boring.

I know it's not for everyone, but every now and then I'd like to play something where the fate of the world or a select group of characters doesn't rest on my ability to mutilate things. This is why I gravitate towards NIS' JRPGs in particular, and series like the Atelier series, which are whimsical, light-hearted adventures that still have a semblance of a plot that is totally serious to the cast, but isn't intended to be serious to you. I want to have fun. The AAA industry in no way caters to this anymore; it's all gore, bullets, explosions, and recycled B-list movie plots you can see coming a mile off.

I suppose I'm describing the gap between games marketed at children and games marketed at teens/adults. But that gap wasn't so ridiculously pronounced in earlier generations, and I don't see why it has to be now. The AAA industry hasn't quite cottoned on to the fact that video games are for EVERYONE, and that straying outside of the stereotypical target demographic won't result in millions in losses, and who knows, perhaps their target audience would ENJOY the change. They can always do both. Instead, we just get a steady stream of the same type of title, and it's just...not fun. The spirit of fun has gone completely from the AAA gaming industry. It's all serious business now, and it doesn't have to be.

Excuse me for venting here, and I'll admit that my views are both coloured by nostalgia and a dislike for the AAA industry in general, and that there HAVE been some good AAA games, but...well, as I said, it bothers me we don't get anthropomorphic platformers and the like anymore from what is supposed to be the main face of the gaming industry. Outside of Nintendo - who, again, are stuck in the 90s - I don't get that warm fuzzy feeling I used to get from video games. The sense of fun is gone.

We need more stuff like Yooka-Laylee. Even if that turns out to be awful - which I highly doubt, considering the track record of the team behind it - I will be extremely grateful to them for at least trying to balance out the scales a bit.

Last edited:
    Years
    • Seen May 28, 2019
    So Transformers Devastation...

tumblr_n0gpkvKJqL1qcrr5qo2_r1_500.gif

Platinum did it again. Definitely going to be this year's sleeper game.
    GIFaf540.gif

machomuu

Stuck in Hot Girl Summer
    Years
  • TV Tropes tries way, waaay too hard to find things that just aren't immediately apparent sometimes.
    I dunno, I'd say that whole deal applies more to the YMMV section than the main, standard protocol portion. The main site's pretty on point, I'd say.

---

So I got a job...and a PS4. Didn't expect to have one nearly this soon- a job or a PS4.

We got the Uncharted bundle because it was all that was available, but during the week we bought The Last of Us (because my brother really wanted to play it Remastered style), Bloodborne (because not being able to play this was pain; it's a good deal of why I wanted the system at all), and...that's it. But I bought a month of plus to get some games I grabbed in the past (which, unfortunately, doesn't include Rocket League). TLOS and Bloodborne were $50 together, so it's pretty accurate to say that all of this was about as much as a PS4 before price drop.

Next stop: Disgaea 5. Though looking at the games available and how many of them are actually exclusive, AAA exclusives are still pretty homogenous apart from the timed ones. Really, if you aren't interested in the East by now (a prospect that's unfortunate but certainly exists), as far as current, bigger name announcements are concerned, the rest of 2015 and at least Q1 2016 are gonna be boring as hell.

Years
    • Seen May 11, 2016
    I dunno, I'd say that whole deal applies more to the YMMV section than the main, standard protocol portion. The main site's pretty on point, I'd say.

---

So I got a job...and a PS4. Didn't expect to have one nearly this soon- a job or a PS4.

We got the Uncharted bundle because it was all that was available, but during the week we bought The Last of Us (because my brother really wanted to play it Remastered style), Bloodborne (because not being able to play this was pain; it's a good deal of why I wanted the system at all), and...that's it. But I bought a month of plus to get some games I grabbed in the past (which, unfortunately, doesn't include Rocket League). TLOS and Bloodborne were $50 together, so it's pretty accurate to say that all of this was about as much as a PS4 before price drop.

Next stop: Disgaea 5. Though looking at the games available and how many of them are actually exclusive, AAA exclusives are still pretty homogenous apart from the timed ones. Really, if you aren't interested in the East by now (a prospect that's unfortunate but certainly exists), as far as current, bigger name announcements are concerned, the rest of 2015 and at least Q1 2016 are gonna be boring as hell.

How are you enjoying Bloodborne?
    I actually purchased my PS4 a month ago, and Bloodborne + MKX were the two games that I purchased with it. A little bummed out that it only took a few weeks to Platinum Bloodborne and that MKX is coming along quickly.
    Let me know if you find any games on the system you think are excellent, I'd appreciate having a few more. {XD}

Years
  • Anyone else finding Happy Home Designer a bit of a rip off? The game isn't awful but there isn't nearly enough content for the price...
    I had a feeling it would be like that, which is exactly why I held off purchasing that game... :/
    I mean, I love designing homes and the customization aspect of Animal Crossing as much as the next person, buuuuut I didn't want a game with just that. Perhaps some mechanics from Happy Home Designer will show up in the next full-fledged Animal Crossing game?

Years
    • he/him
    • Seen yesterday
    Nintendo was pretty upfront about HHD being like that though. But yeah it seems way too expensive. If it was a PC game it'd probably be like $20. I don't understand why you even bought it, Ben.

I'm waiting for Black Friday bundles to get a PS4. I'm busy enough with Demon's Souls, so I wouldn't have time for Bloodborne right now anyway.

Years
  • I'm guessing there is no point starting yet another Life Is Strange discussion as it will die fairly quickly with no further episodes coming, but hopefully someone will catch this post. A lot of people seem disappointed with the Mass Effect 3 type ending, but I didn't mind it too much and found the rest of episode five very fun.

Spoiler:

machomuu

Stuck in Hot Girl Summer
    Years
  • Speaking of episode 5, the last episode of Tales from the Borderlands comes out today (well, now yesterday). It was on sale a number of times for really good prices and, regardless of whether you're a Borderlands fan, it's worth it. If nothing else, the game's absolutely hilarious and has what is quite easily the most ridiculous action scene I've ever seen. Can't say what it was because that would spoil the novelty of it all, but...it's great.

I actually wanted to mention this before (as in, a month ago), but I'd been powering my way through this and Telltale's Game of Thrones, despite not really actively engaging in either of the franchises. Actively being the keyword, because I've played a good deal of BL1 and separately from that deal beat the boss, and I've played the beginning of two, but calling me a fan of the series would be a stretch. Still, they're good. I'd recommend Tales more due to its being very self-contained. It's related to other games (mostly 2), and some characters even show up from BL (so, suffice to say, you'll probably have a greater emotional connection to them that way), but even if you haven't played the games, Tales does pretty well to let you know and like (or dislike, depending) the characters, even if they only appear for a brief time. 'S good stuff.

machomuu

Stuck in Hot Girl Summer
    Years
  • Speaking of episode 5, the last episode of Tales from the Borderlands comes out today (well, now yesterday). It was on sale a number of times for really good prices and, regardless of whether you're a Borderlands fan, it's worth it. If nothing else, the game's absolutely hilarious and has what is quite easily the most ridiculous action scene I've ever seen. Can't say what it was because that would spoil the novelty of it all, but...it's great.

I actually wanted to mention this before (as in, a month ago), but I'd been powering my way through this and Telltale's Game of Thrones, despite not really actively engaging in either of the franchises. Actively being the keyword, because I've played a good deal of BL1 and separately from that deal beat the boss, and I've played the beginning of two, but calling me a fan of the series would be a stretch. Still, they're good. I'd recommend Tales more due to its being very self-contained. It's related to other games (mostly 2), and some characters even show up from BL (so, suffice to say, you'll probably have a greater emotional connection to them that way), but even if you haven't played the games, Tales does pretty well to let you know and like (or dislike, depending) the characters, even if they only appear for a brief time. 'S good stuff.

pkmin3033

Are any of these episodic games actually worth buying, now that they're finally finished? I've had half an eye on a couple (Tales from the Borderlands and Life Is Strange, mainly) and I'm not really sure what to make of them...are they, like, Western visual novels or something? I love Borderlands and I've enjoyed most of the visual novels I've played (a couple of routes in Amnesia and Katawa Shoujo were VERY poorly written) so would Tales appeal to me as well? How about Life Is Strange? I've seen people in fits of rage over that final episode; it's quite confusing, and doing research on a game that relies so heavily on story is a risky prospect...

machomuu

Stuck in Hot Girl Summer
    Years
  • Are any of these episodic games actually worth buying, now that they're finally finished? I've had half an eye on a couple (Tales from the Borderlands and Life Is Strange, mainly) and I'm not really sure what to make of them...are they, like, Western visual novels or something? I love Borderlands and I've enjoyed most of the visual novels I've played (a couple of routes in Amnesia and Katawa Shoujo were VERY poorly written) so would Tales appeal to me as well? How about Life Is Strange? I've seen people in fits of rage over that final episode; it's quite confusing, and doing research on a game that relies so heavily on story is a risky prospect...
    Yeah, if you like Borderlands you'll love Tales from the Borderlands. Largely because Tales feels like Borderlands. The comedy's straight out of it (for instance, one of the the character intros had the caption "Loves cars, women, and cars, in that order," so you know the Borderlands writers were on board), It's very post-Borderlands 2 but doesn't require knowledge of the story to play it, and the world feels...well, like the Borderlands.

As for what it's like...well, I wouldn't really call it like a Western VN so much as just a modern Adventure game. Sort of. Telltale games are very cinematic and rely mostly on player choice and input. For a good example...You know those Adventure games and VNs where you have timed responses? Love Hina for the GBA or School Days, for instance. They're (Life is Strange, included) like those but 3D and allow for more exploration and now and again some point-and-click gameplay. They aren't really route-based (and, actually, they're best played once- going back can be an experience ruiner) but these games stress the importance of your actions (which is something I hope to start a write and start a discussion about, soon).

But yes, I highly recommend Tales from the Borderlands. Of the post-Back to the Future games released, it's easily my second favorite, right behind The Walking Dead.

pkmin3033

Yeah, if you like Borderlands you'll love Tales from the Borderlands. Largely because Tales feels like Borderlands. The comedy's straight out of it (for instance, one of the the character intros had the caption "Loves cars, women, and cars, in that order," so you know the Borderlands writers were on board), It's very post-Borderlands 2 but doesn't require knowledge of the story to play it, and the world feels...well, like the Borderlands.

As for what it's like...well, I wouldn't really call it like a Western VN so much as just a modern Adventure game. Sort of. Telltale games are very cinematic and rely mostly on player choice and input. For a good example...You know those Adventure games and VNs where you have timed responses? Love Hina for the GBA or School Days, for instance. They're (Life is Strange, included) like those but 3D and allow for more exploration and now and again some point-and-click gameplay. They aren't really route-based (and, actually, they're best played once- going back can be an experience ruiner) but these games stress the importance of your actions (which is something I hope to start a write and start a discussion about, soon).

But yes, I highly recommend Tales from the Borderlands. Of the post-Back to the Future games released, it's easily my second favorite, right behind The Walking Dead.

Well, that's reassuring...after all, it wouldn't be Borderlands without the humour, right? Since I've finished the first two games (started Pre-Sequel, got distracted by something) any story issues wouldn't be a problem for me. I'm guessing you'll appreciate more if you've played the games beforehand regardless of how connected it is to them in terms of references, etc? I've always found background knowledge helps for indirect sequels of games anyway.

Hmm...I think I know what you mean. I'm not sure I've played a game like that before, but I have an idea. Lack of routes, for me, is a good thing, because I HATE going back over things just to get a marginally different outcome. It sounds like they offer a more streamlined experience, which is a definite plus...if the story is the main draw, I don't want to have to work through convoluted dialogue trees multiple times for it. I mean, I've loved VNs that have taken this approach, but it's tiresome when the requirements for some pathways and endings are so bloody stringent.

Very well, I shall be guided by you in this...just as soon as the season pass drops below £10 again. I just missed the end of a sale with it in. In the meantime, the first episode is free, so I might pick it up on my PS4 and see how it goes. From what you've described, it sounds as though I'll enjoy it, though...the only thing I didn't like about Borderlands was Scooter, because he got on my nerves, haha. I loved everything else.

Satoshi Ookami

Memento Mori
    Years
  • Are any of these episodic games actually worth buying, now that they're finally finished? I've had half an eye on a couple (Tales from the Borderlands and Life Is Strange, mainly) and I'm not really sure what to make of them...are they, like, Western visual novels or something? I love Borderlands and I've enjoyed most of the visual novels I've played (a couple of routes in Amnesia and Katawa Shoujo were VERY poorly written) so would Tales appeal to me as well? How about Life Is Strange? I've seen people in fits of rage over that final episode; it's quite confusing, and doing research on a game that relies so heavily on story is a risky prospect...
    I agree with macho that considering them VNs is not something I would do.

First, less important fact, I wouldn't play them on Vita due to poor optimization (and we all know VNs are meant for Vita-tan :D), secondly, VNs are choice driven, the choices actually mean something.
    They don't mean anything in Telltale games =)

Dunno how it is in Life is Strange, though.

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Back