• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Chit-Chat: Wiicked Cool Daily Chit-Chat

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sopheria

響け〜 響け!
Years
  • Karma Police

Arrest this man
    Years
    • Age 26
    • Seen Apr 21, 2024
    AC 3 was boring. I wouldn't say it was bad, just boring. Connor wasn't exactly the greatest protagonist, and the game didn't feel any different from AC 2. I haven't played a lot of Black Flag, but what I played was far more entertaining. I didn't play Unity, because it just looked so similar to the Ezio trilogy.

This one too looks like it's not doing anything new. Now all I have to look forward to was The Division and even that's been delayed to 2016 now.

Hi!

or some say Kosm...
    Years
    • UK
    • Seen May 3, 2017
    Wasn't Syndicate leaked months ago under the name 'Victory'?

It's whatever anyway. Not a fan of AC at all.

Kotone

someone needed a doctor?
    Years
  • i've only played the assassin creed black flag for the wiiu. i thought it was a pretty good game and the graphics were pretty. i didn't think it was better than uncharted tho.

Yukari

Myself I really enjoyed Assassin's Creed 2. We got all of them with out PS3, not counting 4 and Rouge. (But only because my brother wanted them and he refused to let me pick a game.)

machomuu

Stuck in Hot Girl Summer
    Years
  • Soundtrack in X-2 is also WAYYYY worse than X. But to be expected I suppose, X's OST is godlike. That Uematsu magic.
    Generally the FF-2s are like that. FFXIII-2 was the same way, but generally the songs that stand out are really memorable (In FFX-2's case, this would most definitely be 1000 Words, which stops Suteki Da Ne? right in its tracks)

Though I don't particularly remember X having the greatest OST. Been years since I've played it, but the only tracks I particularly remember being great are Zanarkand and the Battle Theme.

stunt296

~The Official Stunt Master~
    Years
  • Generally the FF-2s are like that. FFXIII-2 was the same way, but generally the songs that stand out are really memorable (In FFX-2's case, this would most definitely be 1000 Words, which stops Suteki Da Ne? right in its tracks)

Though I don't particularly remember X having the greatest OST. Been years since I've played it, but the only tracks I particularly remember being great are Zanarkand and the Battle Theme.

FFX is one of the best games ever made. The story is great and the characters are amazing. The world of Spira is beautiful and yes the music is good. Maybe the BGMs themselves don't sound that good alone, but they are very fitting for each area in the world and makes the world feel alive. The game really makes you feel like you're apart of it. I admit the English dub isn't spectacular, but I played the game a second time while watching the Japanese cut scenes on Youtube and it was so good!!! Japanese dub is waaaay better! But anyways, the gameplay is really the best part. Fun tactical battle system, Sphere Grid, superb weapon customization, summoning powerful Aeons like the Magus Sisters (that are actually playable as their own party of 3)... Too many good memories of that game! Post-game content is so much fun too in the International/HD Remaster version. It's probably not my #1 favorite game, but it's definitely in my top 5. I rarely ever invest 200 hours into a single player RPG, but FFX made me do it. Those damn Dark Aeons....It was a rough ride, but it was all worth it in the end.

Last edited:

machomuu

Stuck in Hot Girl Summer
    Years
  • FFX is one of the best games ever made. The story is great and the characters are amazing. The world of Spira is beautiful and yes the music is good. Maybe the BGMs themselves don't sound that good alone, but they are very fitting for each area in the world and makes the world feel alive. The game really makes you feel like you're apart of it. I admit the English dub isn't spectacular, but I played the game a second time while watching the Japanese cut scenes on Youtube and it was so good!!! Japanese dub is waaaay better! But anyways, the gameplay is really the best part. Fun tactical battle system, Sphere Grid, superb weapon customization, summoning powerful Aeons like the Magus Sisters (that are actually playable as their own party of 3)... Too many good memories of that game! Post-game content is so much fun too in the International/HD Remaster version. It's probably not my #1 favorite game, but it's definitely in my top 5. I rarely ever invest 200 hours into a single player RPG, but FFX made me do it. Those damn Dark Aeons....It was a rough ride, but it was all worth it in the end.
    Eh, I can't really say the same. In terms of story, there's Yuna's Story and then there's My Story. Yuna's story is pretty standard fair in terms of structure but stands to be a fun ride at points (and grueling at others- mainly, the puzzles. Oh, the puzzles). My Story, on the other hand, is always there trying to force its way in place of Yuna's, right from the beginning. I don't particularly care for My Story, nor do I care for the main character of My Story. Since you've played FFX, I would hope that you know who the main character of My Story is. The problem comes with My Story's main character being the controllable character of Yuna's Story, and worse, the game frames the narrative as if it's being told from his perspective.

And...well, that's pretty much all I'll say about the game. I have many other thoughts, both good and bad, but I'd just end up rambling on and on. I do, however, think it's hard to find a less likable character in Final Fantasy than Tidus (say what you will about Vaan, but the difference is that the game realizes that it's, indeed, not his story and focuses on the true main characters while giving him a supporting role), and when that's who you follow for the entirety of the journey, it can be hard to get (back) into. Personally, I feel that character is a huge part in engaging the player in the game and plays just as much of a role in acting out the story (even the most well written story can fall flat with bad actors). Similarly, I don't think the cast was particularly spectacular enough to make me overlook Tidus, even though, much like the game, the cast isn't particularly bad as a whole. It's a lot of the reason I'm quick to recommend Final Fantasy X-2 and not its predecessor.

Last edited:

Kotone

someone needed a doctor?
    Years
  • i never played any of the harvest moon games for the gameboy color. i've only played for the ds and 3ds. they're really fun, but sometimes can be confusing. i never really got into them.

Hi!

or some say Kosm...
    Years
    • UK
    • Seen May 3, 2017
    FFX's soundtrack is INSANELY good. Hard to find a bad track in there. Seymour's battle theme, Otherworld, Spira Unplugged, the Battle Theme..damn. I feel like I've said this before but it really is great stuff. As a game I thought it was damn great. Easily a classic FF game, although lacking in parts. I actually think Tidus is one of my favourite FF protagonists so far, but I probably have bad taste considering Lightning is one of my favourite FF characters ha!

Tidus/Auron/Wakka/Yuna are all great characters. Rikku is...alright, so is Kimahri I guess. Lulu sucks. Battle system is very well thought out and an awesome spin on the very classic turn based battle system. Personally though I prefer real-time battles, which is probably why I'm really enjoying the X-2 battle system, and I think the 13 trilogy has some of the best JRPG battle systems that I've seen. All in all, X is an amazing game and I'd probably play it again at some point!

stunt296

Years
  • Liking Tidus and disliking Lulu...what strange, twisted world have I been warped to? When did I even get here?

Though I guess that's a blessing; I mean, if you manage to like Tidus then FFX can be a pretty smooth ride.

Well in terms of usefulness, people who have played and beaten the post game content know that Lulu is one of the worst characters in the game. Not only is her Celestial Weapon insanely tedious to obtain, she also doesn't do much damage other than Doublecast + Ultima and Trio of 9999 + Magic Fury (Overdrive). She's down on the list next to Khimari, but at least Khimari's celestial is easier to obtain and he has Mighty Guard. Tidus, on the other hand, is one of the best due to his Blitz Overdrive that does 10 hits IIRC and with max STR and Break Damage Limit, they all do 99999 damage each. The only character who surpasses him is Wakka, because his Attack Reels Overdrive does 12 hits, so around 300k damage more. The best team in the game is definitely Wakka, Tidus, Rikku (her Overdrive makes her the best support character in any RPG ever IMHO). What's better than a 1 turn Auto-Everything for all characters? (Auto-Life, Protect, Shell, Regen, ...)

In terms of personality, I can actually agree with you about Tidus in the English dub. He sounds like a self-centered prick who doesn't really care about anyone but himself. At least, that's the vybe I get off of him due to his attitude and the way he talks to other characters. The Japanese dub Tidus, however, has a lot more emotion and actually cares about the other characters. You can hear it in his voice. Also, the scenes with Yuna, like where he laughs like an idiot, are a lot less awkward. He basically seems like a hero, a team leader, more than a selfish american who just wants his paycheck.

machomuu

Stuck in Hot Girl Summer
    Years
  • In terms of personality, I can actually agree with you about Tidus in the English dub. He sounds like a self-centered prick who doesn't really care about anyone but himself. At least, that's the vybe I get off of him due to his attitude and the way he talks to other characters. The Japanese dub Tidus, however, has a lot more emotion and actually cares about the other characters. You can hear it in his voice. Also, the scenes with Yuna, like where he laughs like an idiot, are a lot less awkward. He basically seems like a hero, a team leader, more than a selfish american who just wants his paycheck.
    I don't really think the language matters, because at his core, which is shown rather blatantly at the beginning, Tidus is loud and annoying. This is intentional, as My Story is supposed to be a journey to manhood and finding oneself. Tidus, due to his relationship with his dad and the state of his childhood as a result, never really grew up. As such, he boasts quite often given that he's reached status of some sort and it gives him a false sense of having gotten a one-up on his father.

Even disregarding the laughing scene which, personally, I don't mind because the scene is meant to be awkward and silly- it's a way of showing that you can face adversity without fearing judgment, the whole point of the scene, it falls into the trap of him never growing out of that. A good number of games, anime, shows, and the like do this (a shining example is Mirai Nikki's Yukiteru Amano, a character that easily places lowest of anyone for me- though Tidus isn't nearly on his level), and the biggest problem is that...well, it isn't My Story, it's Yuna's.

And that's one of those things that I may just have to give the game credit for if it was intentional. All throughout the game, Tidus says that it's his story, and I think that that is a perfect reflection of his character. He really is childish to the very end, but it seems as if the game is very aware of this and that the whole idea of a supporting character forcing his way to the forefront of the story is simply a means to illustrate that. "My Story", as both a phrase and as a narrative, may very well be this tight clasp that Tidus has onto his childhood and, similarly, onto his father, that he refuses to let go of even after coming face to face with him and receiving...less than closure. By repeating that phrase, he is reminding the player that Tidus was as Tidus is, and Tidus will remain to be until Tidus can be no more. If that was intentional, then it's absolute thematic brilliance.

Regardless, however, my feelings on Tidus remain the same, and I don't particularly care for the way he's portrayed (Mainly because annoying =/= unlikable, and you can make a character that's both loud and childish and enjoyable to follow). If Tidus had been a side character and Yuna were the main, I'd probably have been able to tolerate him more. As a character in general, however, I mind him less thanks to the well written storyline between himself and Jecht in Dissidia/Duodecim (he's also toned down, probably due to the change in circumstances). In that game, I quite enjoy him and his portrayal, and it does a good job of illustrating the rather complicated relationship of the father and son.

Last edited:

stunt296

Years
  • I don't really think the language matters, because at his core, which is shown rather blatantly at the beginning, Tidus is loud and annoying. This is intentional, as My Story is supposed to be a journey to manhood and finding oneself. Tidus, due to his relationship with his dad and the state of his childhood as a result, never really grew up. As such, he boasts quite often given that he's reached status of some sort and it gives him a false sense of having gotten a one-up on his father.

Dont get me wrong, Japanese Tidus isn't anything close to being award winning. He just goes from extremely annoying to somewhat likeable. He's still just as childish, but I prefer a childish leader over a childish prick. Like I said, he's nothing spectacular, but he's definitely not loud or annoying at all in the Japanese dub.

Last edited:

Sonata

Don't let me disappear
    Years
  • If nothing else, Final Fantasy will always have some of the best video game music and I'm sure that's something we can all agree on. They're also usually pretty imaginative when it comes to making up new battle systems. If there was one thing that I did enjoy about the 13 series, it was the battle system in Lightning Returns. Lightning did what I asked her to and didn't make any stupid moves like walking straight into an enemy over and over and over when I have her in a ranged class.

Mark Kamill

I like kitties
    Years
    • Age 31
    • Seen Jun 13, 2023
    For anyone that wants to go cry in a corner, basically dragon quest fans in the west, Dragon Quest VIII, the greatest RPG of the PS2 era from then and forever, was announced for the 3DS a couple of days ago. Never expect it out of Japan, never expect to bask in its glory again, much like DQVII.

*SOBS*`

Hi!

or some say Kosm...
    Years
    • UK
    • Seen May 3, 2017
    If nothing else, Final Fantasy will always have some of the best video game music and I'm sure that's something we can all agree on. They're also usually pretty imaginative when it comes to making up new battle systems. If there was one thing that I did enjoy about the 13 series, it was the battle system in Lightning Returns. Lightning did what I asked her to and didn't make any stupid moves like walking straight into an enemy over and over and over when I have her in a ranged class.

Agreed on everything. God damn Lightning Returns was so fun, story be damned.

machomuu

Stuck in Hot Girl Summer
    Years
  • If nothing else, Final Fantasy will always have some of the best video game music and I'm sure that's something we can all agree on. They're also usually pretty imaginative when it comes to making up new battle systems. If there was one thing that I did enjoy about the 13 series, it was the battle system in Lightning Returns. Lightning did what I asked her to and didn't make any stupid moves like walking straight into an enemy over and over and over when I have her in a ranged class.

Agreed on everything. God damn Lightning Returns was so fun, story be damned.
    Indeed. On a gameplay-level, Lightning Returns was a blast, and on a conceptual level I applaud the team for going so far outside their comfort zone and trying so many new ideas. Even though it seems to borrow from, or at least be reminiscent of Majora's Mask and Nier, it's really hard to find another game like it.

And musically, it's fantastic as well (the same goes for the rest of FFXII- barring the metal tracks from XIII-2). It's no secret that FF as a franchise has some of the best music in gaming, it's hard to deny, but it's nothing short of a miracle that even after the departure of Nobuo Uematsu we can still be blessed with music worthy of Final Fantasy.

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Back