• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

[Other✓] Wild Grass not working

Years
    • Seen Oct 8, 2016
    I have a small (big) problem. Wild pokemon do not appear in the tall grass. i have the behavior byte set to grass animation. What else can I do?

C me

Creator of Pokemon League Of Legends
    Years
    • Seen Apr 9, 2021
    I have a small (big) problem. Wild pokemon do not appear in the tall grass. i have the behavior byte set to grass animation. What else can I do?

Check the map has wild pokemon data in the grass under the wild pokemon tab in Amap.

Joexv

ManMadeOfGouda joexv.github.io
    Years
    Wild Grass not working

Set it like the above, but idk if that 01 in the fourth box is necessary or not.

Years
    There should be a tab to edit the list of wild pokemon that appear.
    Wild Grass not working

I just pulled this off google, it looks pretty much the same on A-map.

Joexv

Years
    Aye, yes I did. No luck. Might it have something to do with the fact that I have custom tilesets?

That wont make a difference, cause if you look at the image I posted, it uses custom tiles too. Set your wild encounter ratio high and test again.

Years
    Wild Grass not working

Set it like the above, but idk if that 01 in the fourth box is necessary or not.

Bro, how can I make it work on sand? Like the desert level from Ruby?
    I put the Grass Animation, and the game really does the grass animation. Pokémon didn't show up on it, though.
    I need no animation, like the grass moving when I step on it. I don't need the sand to move, or leave a footprint (though I know there is a behavior byte for that). I just need Pokémon to be foundable in the sand tile and to be shown in "Wild Pokémon" tab in Advance Map, so I can choose what Pokémon show up.
    Can you help?

Last edited:

Joexv

Years
    Bro, how can I make it work on sand? Like the desert level from Ruby?
    I put the Grass Animation, and the game really does the grass animation. Pokémon didn't show up on it, though.
    I need no animation, like the grass moving when I step on it. I don't need the sand to move, or leave a footprint (though I know there is a behavior byte for that). I just need Pokémon to be foundable in the sand tile and to be shown in "Wild Pokémon" tab in Advance Map, so I can choose what Pokémon show up.
    Can you help?

For Sand its byte 06, Sand w/heaps, It uses that Pokemon set in the grass section of wild pokemon. Just look at already in game tiles for your behavior bytes, its not that hard.

Years
    For Sand its byte 06, Sand w/heaps, It uses that Pokemon set in the grass section of wild pokemon. Just look at already in game tiles for your behavior bytes, its not that hard.

But if it uses the same section as grass Pokémon, I can't have both grass and sand tiles in the same map or both will make the very same Pokémon appear. Is that it? (It's not like its a problem, but it's not ideal =P)
    Also, when I change a byte behavior, do I change it for the tile in the game, affecting all maps, or for that tile solely in the map I had opened?

Joexv

Years
    But if it uses the same section as grass Pokémon, I can't have both grass and sand tiles in the same map or both will make the very same Pokémon appear. Is that it? (It's not like its a problem, but it's not ideal =P)
    Also, when I change a byte behavior, do I change it for the tile in the game, affecting all maps, or for that tile solely in the map I had opened?

It will just make the same pokemon appear in both grass, and sand.

And it will change for the tileset thus effecting every map that uses that tileset.

Years
    Okay, after some tests, I set behavior bytes to the sand type as 02 02, just to check.
    The "grass moving" animation happened (sand part-turned into grass), but no Pokémon showed up there. I walked in the grass, and Pokémons were appearing ok.
    Then I followed joexv's hint and used bytes 06 02 ("Sand foot prints (with sandheaps)"). No animation of footprint was shown, and no Pokémon appeared.
    How can I make Pokémon appear in a different byte, that is not grass? Animation is not a major issue, but hey, two birds with a stone, eh?
    For the animation, I tried bytes 25 00 (Sand foot prints), but no animation, like "Sand foot prints (with sandheaps)". And I tried 21 00 (Foot prints). They are perfect, footprints when you walk. Really really nice, but again, no Pokémon...

From what I understood, the first couple of bytes sets an animation and second couple of bytes sets what will that byte be (00 no "special" effect, 02 grass encounter, 04 surf encounter). Is that correct?

Last edited:

Joexv

Years
    Okay, after some tests, I set behavior bytes to the sand type as 02 02, just to check.
    The "grass moving" animation happened (sand part-turned into grass), but no Pokémon showed up there. I walked in the grass, and Pokémons were appearing ok.
    Then I followed X's hint and used bytes 06 02 ("Sand foot prints (with sandheaps)". No animation of footprint was shown, and no Pokémon appeared.
    How can I make Pokémon appear in a different byte, that is not grass? Animation is not a major issue, but hey, two brids with a stone, eh?
    For the animation, I tried bytes 21 00 (Foot prints). They are perfect, but again, no Pokémon...

From what I understood, the first couple of bytes sets an animation and second couple of bytes sets what will that byte be (00 no "special" effect, 02 grass encounter, 04 surf encounter). Is that correct?
    Ok after looking at the firered non grass tiles the first behaviour byte determines the Battle background and then the second background byte if set to 1 allows pokemon to be fought
    Behaviour bytes:
    0x08-cave
    0x2b-footprints with cave battle background
    0x2/0x2-Grass
    0x15/0x4-water
    0x11-Water
    0x10/0x4-water reflection with fishing when map is set to 0x4
    0x21 sand battle w/foot prints

Background bytes:
    0x1-Uses grass wild pokemon in a-map
    0x22-Uses water
    0x2-Uses water

so it turns out I gave you the wrong byte. sorry about that.
    So in order to have both grass and sand seperate simply set the sand background byte to 0x2 so it will use the pokemon set normally for water battles. But if you do this you shouldn't have water on the same map.

Years
    Ok after looking at the firered non grass tiles the first behaviour byte determines the Battle background and then the second background byte if set to 1 allows pokemon to be fought
    Behaviour bytes:
    0x08-cave
    0x2b-footprints with cave battle background
    0x2/0x2-Grass
    0x15/0x4-water
    0x11-Water
    0x10/0x4-water reflection with fishing when map is set to 0x4
    0x21 sand battle w/foot prints

Background bytes:
    0x1-Uses grass wild pokemon in a-map
    0x22-Uses water
    0x2-Uses water

so it turns out I gave you the wrong byte. sorry about that.
    So in order to have both grass and sand seperate simply set the sand background byte to 0x2 so it will use the pokemon set normally for water battles. But if you do this you shouldn't have water on the same map.

Did it! Footprints in, and Pokémon showing.
    I used 00 01 in the background bytes, after looking in the grass. Just to test.
    I got a sand background (like when you fish in a beach) straight ahead. Is that normal? Can I get a sand background in other places I'm not supposed to, too?
    I used it in Route 1, and got grass background in the grass tiles, and sand background in the "sand trail". Am I good?
    Man, thanks a ton for the help!

Joexv

Years
    Did it! Footprints in, and Pokémon showing.
    I used 00 01 in the background bytes, after looking in the grass. Just to test.
    I got a sand background (like when you fish in a beach) straight ahead. Is that normal? Can I get a sand background in other places I'm not supposed to, too?
    I used it in Route 1, and got grass background in the grass tiles, and sand background in the "sand trail". Am I good?
    Man, thanks a ton for the help!
    I dont quite understand what you mean by norma. Afaik the beach sand is the only sand battle background.
    Yes you can get the sand anywhere you put the foot prints byte in. There might be another byte that has the background without the prints but idk.

Years
    I dont quite understand what you mean by norma. Afaik the beach sand is the only sand battle background.
    Yes you can get the sand anywhere you put the foot prints byte in. There might be another byte that has the background without the prints but idk.

I thought the Background Bytes would set a battle in a specific background. As the grass had Background Bytes 00 01, I thought if I chose that byte, the backgund of my battle would be grass, independant on where the battle was triggered (sand, grass or even water).
    I said normal as, I have a sand tile and a battle is triggered. The background of the fight will be set accordingly to the tile image or the tile background byte?
    If it was accordingly to the background byte, I would get only grass-background fights, as 00 01 is the only Background Byte I used in Route 1, no matter if the tile was grass or sand.
    Nonetheless, I got sand-backgrounds when a fight was triggered in a sand tile and grass-background when a fight was started in the grass tiles.
    I don't know if I made myself clear...

Joexv

Years
    I thought the Background Bytes would set a battle in a specific background. As the grass had Background Bytes 00 01, I thought if I chose that byte, the backgund of my battle would be grass, independant on where the battle was triggered (sand, grass or even water).
    I said normal as, I have a sand tile and a battle is triggered. The background of the fight will be set accordingly to the tile image or the tile background byte?
    If it was accordingly to the background byte, I would get only grass-background fights, as 00 01 is the only Background Byte I used in Route 1, no matter if the tile was grass or sand.
    Nonetheless, I got sand-backgrounds when a fight was triggered in a sand tile and grass-background when a fight was started in the grass tiles.
    I don't know if I made myself clear...
    Oh ok I understand now. No the background byte is set to determine what wild pokemon it uses, the behaviour byte determines what background. Nothing about that is determined by tile specifically. Tile images to the game are just images with no special data, so you could have a lava tile and make a water battle out of it.

Years
    Oh ok I understand now. No the background byte is set to determine what wild pokemon it uses, the behaviour byte determines what background. Nothing about that is determined by tile specifically. Tile images to the game are just images with no special data, so you could have a lava tile and make a water battle out of it.

I knew the image thing. Was just trying to be clear. But ok, now I'm happy!
    Thanks a lot for the help man! =D

Last edited:
    Back