• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

[Other] Wild Pokemon don't appear in my hack!

Years
    • NY
    • Seen Aug 6, 2018
    Hello all.
    I recently started a hack, making some new scripts, etc, and haven't really changed much. When I go to play my hack and test the few things I've changed, no wild pokemon appear. I'd like some help into knowing what has happened and how I can fix this.
    What I have edited so far:
    IPS files:
    A rom base (tiles) - Platinum Exp Bars (in battle) - Mr. Doll Steaks Attack and Decap Rom base (working) - EmeFont - Skip Controls and Tutorials
    What I've changed:
    Pallet Town, changed MOM and added script tile in house, changed some Route 1.
    I tried to go into Route 2 as well and no pokemon appear there. I've also noticed that the man lying down doesn't stop me from going anywhere, as I believe he should.

This isn't a huge problem since I can quickly restart; however I'd like to not make the same mistake twice.
    Thank you for any help!

Years
  • Hello all.
    I recently started a hack, making some new scripts, etc, and haven't really changed much. When I go to play my hack and test the few things I've changed, no wild pokemon appear. I'd like some help into knowing what has happened and how I can fix this.
    What I have edited so far:
    IPS files:
    A rom base (tiles) - Platinum Exp Bars (in battle) - Mr. Doll Steaks Attack and Decap Rom base (working) - EmeFont - Skip Controls and Tutorials
    What I've changed:
    Pallet Town, changed MOM and added script tile in house, changed some Route 1.
    I tried to go into Route 2 as well and no pokemon appear there. I've also noticed that the man lying down doesn't stop me from going anywhere, as I believe he should.

This isn't a huge problem since I can quickly restart; however I'd like to not make the same mistake twice.
    Thank you for any help!

There's a possibility you overwrote data. I'm not sure if I can help you with this little information, but. See if wild pokemon data is present in Advance Map and if encounter ratio is not set to 0. If everything's fine there, start a new game and go into tall grass. If that didn't help, give your Pokemon Sweet Scent and use it in grass. Then, check whether your grass tiles have set proper behaviour bytes in A-Map. If not, open a clean rom and give it the value it should have. If that STILL doesn't help, hex editing may be mandatory.
    Also, applying that many patches is not a good idea as they may share the same offset for new things. And I presume the man doesn't stop you because of the "skip tutorials" patch.

Years
    • NY
    • Seen Aug 6, 2018
    There's a possibility you overwrote data. I'm not sure if I can help you with this little information, but. See if wild pokemon data is present in Advance Map and if encounter ratio is not set to 0. If everything's fine there, start a new game and go into tall grass. If that didn't help, give your Pokemon Sweet Scent and use it in grass. Then, check whether your grass tiles have set proper behaviour bytes in A-Map. If not, open a clean rom and give it the value it should have. If that STILL doesn't help, hex editing may be mandatory.
    Also, applying that many patches is not a good idea as they may share the same offset for new things. And I presume the man doesn't stop you because of the "skip tutorials" patch.

Thank you for all your help! Do you think a rom base that changes tiles affects these offsets or not? I will cut down on the ips files.

Years
  • Thank you for all your help! Do you think a rom base that changes tiles affects these offsets or not? I will cut down on the ips files.
    Not sure. But it's best to insert tiles and other things yourself, so you know what offsets are used.

Years
    • Seen Apr 21, 2020
    You need to set the tile's property (I believe it is the background byte?) to 02, I believe, for wild Pokemon to appear on grass tiles.

Alexander Nicholi

what do you know about computing?
    Years
  • If you're using a ROM base, it's highly likely the wild Pokémon and scripts are removed from the game – at least I'd presume as such with JPAN's engine. Be sure to set them up yourself, and be careful: Advance Map 1.95 will corrupt your map if you insert new wild Pokémon data with it! It's fine for editing existing stuff though.

Back