• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

4th Gen Will D/P confuse me? :P

Years
    • Seen Feb 19, 2013
    Hey everyone,

I used to watch the Pokemon anime, and used to play Pokemon r/b/y when they first came out. I know the first 151 pokemon, but pretty much don't know anything about second/third/fourth generation pokemon.

Do you think I'll be able to get a grasp of the pokemon/characters in D/P or is it better to play g/s/c and /r/s/e first?

Walrein

Banned
    Years
    I never "memorise" new names, I just play and learn them with the time.
    Just come and play, just be aware that there are so many things, for example abilities. Do you remember how Earthquake was a great move against Gengar? No more! It now has an ability that makes it immune to damage-dealing Ground-type moves, Levitate (because it floats, and not all pokemon who float in the air get it).
    Use this website for help:
    https://www.serebii.net/index2.shtml

Hiidoran

[B]ohey[/B]
    Years
    You should be just fine, Gino.
    Each generation of Pokémon games are basically made so that any person can just pick it up and start playing. The abilities and everything for you won't be any different than it was for us in Ruby and Sapphire.
    I'm sure you will love it, and no; it doesn't follow the plot of Gold/Silver/Crystal. ;D

Aurafire

provider of cake
    Years
    You'd be suprised at how easy it is to memorize all the Pokemon. If you want to familiarize yourself with the new generations, you should definitely invest in that huge Pokedex they have out of all 4 generations with tons of info. it's only 20 bucks, but it is definitely worth it. I look at mine every day!

Haza

☆A Life of Pokémon and Beyoncé ☆
    Years
    • Age 32
    • Seen Oct 1, 2021
    well I have played every Gen but maybe if you jump into DP itll be an entirely new experience and you ultimately have access to all the other Gens pokemon.

Becky_x

Looking for a shiny Bellossom
    Years
    I was exactly the same! My first games were Red and Yellow, I'd heard of other generation Pokemon and seen them in the anime but never played the games between Yellow and now! I can't put my Diamond down, you're gonna love it don't worry! ^_^

airconditioning

Take it slow, bro.
    Years
    You'd be suprised at how easy it is to memorize all the Pokemon. If you want to familiarize yourself with the new generations, you should definitely invest in that huge Pokedex they have out of all 4 generations with tons of info. it's only 20 bucks, but it is definitely worth it. I look at mine every day!

Or, you could look at Serebii's D/P Pokedex to get even more detailed information for free. I'm sorry, but any guide that uses bars instead of numbers to represent base stats is stupid. >:(

Matt-O

The King's Shadow
    Years
    Or, you could look at Serebii's D/P Pokedex to get even more detailed information for free. I'm sorry, but any guide that uses bars instead of numbers to represent base stats is stupid. >:(

Plus, those bars don't even give you an accurate measurement of stats. They have numbers in there but they stop at 100, so Jirachi has the same Attack as Rayquaza according to that book.

Years
    • Seen Aug 11, 2008
    Honestly, i was playing yellow a couple of days before i picked up Diamond and at first it was a bit of a surprise with so many newpokemon, but only after a week i'm pretty used to all the ones I have had the chance to encounter.

Haza

Years
    • Age 32
    • Seen Oct 1, 2021
    I cant even imagine not being into pokemon for all of those years.

Years
    • Age 38
    • Seen Sep 10, 2015
    I was in the same boat last year, so I decided to get caught up with everything and played countless hours of the 2nd and 3rd gens. I recommend playing them first as it will keep you interested for awhile instead of trying to learn every poke in the same generation.

theprofessional

~~dAft PUnk Rulez!!!~~
    Years
    No not at all, the games don't tie in with the anime, at least not story wise (they do in location and pokes, duh). The only thing that will only confuse you is that you won't know the strengths and weaknesses of all the Pokemon that you will encounter in your journey. I kept dying on the Battle Tower cuz some 3rd Gen. Pokes appeared and I didn't know how to fight them. How was I supposed to know that a Moon and a Sun are vulnerable to dark attacks?

Haza

Years
    • Age 32
    • Seen Oct 1, 2021
    I still feel that Gold and Silver is more complicated than Diamond and Pearl

Years
    • Seen Aug 27, 2008
    Don't worry you'll be fine. I got my Diamond and Emerald at the same time, and my Emeralds still in the box! Brand new!! All becase Diamond is sooooo awsome!!!!

Last edited:
    Years
    What I like about Pokemon is the new games are pretty much a Remake of the other games, with a twist, (different map, different names) lots of stuff you remember from the other games is there. All they do is add a few new things.

Last edited:

EagleRunner021

Trainer of the Fittest
    Years
    • Seen Aug 21, 2008
    Is there any way to get D/P for GBA? I just dont have the erm.. cash.. at the moment. I mean, seriously, 130 bucks for a new DS and then another 40 bucks for each game is a lot of money!

~Edit~ Sorry if it sounds like I'm complaining. I've had a rough night =/

airconditioning

Take it slow, bro.
    Years
    D/P, on GBA? A game made exclusively for DS? Well... no.

Also, what did you mean by $40 for each game? It's not like you're gonna buy both.

D/P, on GBA? A game made exclusively for DS? Well... no.

Also, what did you mean by $40 for each game? It's not like you're gonna buy both.

Back