• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Will Gen 5 be the death of Pokemon?

Jubedube

Another Charizard fanboy
    Years
    • Seen Mar 13, 2010
    I'm surprised you didn't add "The conception of Bidoof" to the cons of generation 4.

I would post a picture of the monstrosity I'm sure you've all seen, however, the site forbids me since I lack the post count to submit pictures.

Consider yourselves spared.

Co500

Nostalgia Edition
    Years
    Gen 4 was crap the style was horrible I mean Gastrodon come on what the hell is that but i think they did that to keep the franchise going thinking it was failing now i think there going back to gen 1 and 2 style pokemon that look and take the shape of animals like a fox and not some some random blue or pink fishy freak pokemon

*Charizard*

Velocity
    Years
    • Seen Feb 9, 2012
    I don't think that the 5th generation is going to be the death of Pokemon. Aslong as its making money in Japan it's not going anywhere.

SBaby

Dungeon Master
    Years
    • Seen Apr 9, 2015
    I don't think that the 5th generation is going to be the death of Pokemon. Aslong as its making money in Japan it's not going anywhere.

At the very least it'll give Smogon more Pokemon to ban.

Spikey-Eared Pichu

Pichu-pi!
    Years
    Well, two things:

1. I'm very happy that the topic hasn't died yet =]

2. I'm elated to know that there are a lot of people who believe Pokemon will last.

.Gamer

»»───knee─►
    Years

Thats just a funny picture from ~Sa-chan04 @ Deviantart. (also semi-relevant)

Lets take a look at the new evolutions given to previous pokemon:
    Weavile <--Cool, but ultimately useless, at least its good for revenge killing/dying fast
    Lickilicky <--Thanks for ruining Lickitung
    Magnezone <--looolwtf?
    Rhyperior <----Fugly
    Tangrowth <---"We are GameFreak and lack imagination"
    Electivire <---"We experimented with banned substances and came up with this, lets put it in the game, even though Electabuzz is faster and has a higher Sp.A. than it"
    Magmortar <---LOOOOOOOOOOOOOL
    Glaceon <--Softspot for Eeveelutions so they all pass
    Leafeon <---^
    Mismagius <---Cool I guess, even though its outclassed by Gengar
    Honchkrow <--Actually, I like this one, just with the shiny wasn't pink
    Togekiss <---Serene Grace is fun so it passes
    Yanmega <--"Hi, I'm Yanmega, don't use me k"
    Gliscor <--Pretty cool. Strong, fast, and tough
    Mamoswine <--Again cool, but as if Piloswine wasn't enough of a pain.
    Gallade <--Eh, never really played with it because I'm not a big fan of Psycic types anymore, I guess it looks cool though, arms are kinda "meh"
    Probopass <--C'mon, don't make me make the obvoius joke.
    Sucknior Dusknior <---LOL I'm bad
    Frosslass <---Cool

So yeah, since 3/4 of those look way worse than their prior evolutions and/or are completely useless, I think GameFreak/Nintendo are going to be going downhill for most of us (like me) who have been around since the glory days (I know I kinda sorta have nostalgia goggles in the way) but admit it, back when freeze was super broken and Bug was super effective to poison, that was fun imo. I was always more of a fan of the pokemon that didn't look like bad neopets, gen 3 was pushing the limits, but when we have a pokemon that is made fun of more than magikarp,
    than they clearly aren't heading in the right direction.

I think they should take a step backwards, and look at more baby forms, because they are cuter, and should try and take pokemon to have a more traditional not neopetic look to them.

Thats my Will Gen 5 be the death of Pokemon?Will Gen 5 be the death of Pokemon?.

Also, it will probably keep going, because alot of the new players don't know about all the old games and such, so innevitably it won't die until we bombard them with Belly Drum Explosion Lickilicky's or until they run out of creativity (which it looks like they are starting to.)

/rantend.

Last edited:

CrazyEccentric

Mikuri/Wallace Fangirl
    Years
    Magmar's evolution was just weird/ugly in last Gen... but I'd get used to seeing those kind of Pokemon. I'd be surprised if they were to get to over 2000 pokemon.... or maybe they want to match up the Pokemon species numbers to real-life creature numbers. O___o

I'm, of course, kidding about the over 2000... anyway... argh. Yeah. I hope the 5th generation of Pokemon don't suck. They better have cool and adorable Pokemon. The newest Pokemon they've released out the internet/to public looks alright and cool. It's pre-evolution looks adorable. :3

I wonder what jewels/gems they'll have next for Pokemon Game titles... Pokemon Turquoise! Pokemon Topaz! POKEMON QUARTZ. Pokemon AMETHYST. I think the Pokemon world could come to an end, just like our own world, think of the gemstone/jewelistic game title ideas Pokemon Company will be running out on.

Years
    • Seen Dec 20, 2010
    As long as 10 year olds exist, Pokemon will never get old to them.

It's possibly the most successful Nintendo franchise to date. No, Mario isn't more successful; the amount of marketing and promotion with Pokemon is incredible.

Edin

NNNGOOOHHH!
    Years
    I just realized that the title of this thread is completely misleading. Instead of "Will Gen. 5 be the death of Pokemon?" it should be "Will I be so blinded by nostalgia goggles I can't see that Gen. V will be fine 'cause LOLZ Gen. IV's pokes were fugly."

Every Gen. 100+ Pokemon are introduced. Every Gen we get new evos, new pre-evos, maybe some new forms, et cetera. That in itself is "the formula". And as long as they stick to "the formula" they'll do fine. They've done fine for over a decade. Whether or not you think the new Pokemon look like pieces of crap on a stick does not matter because everyone CAN'T look like Pikachu, and Charizard, and Bulbasaur, and so on.

Dunsparce

The Land Snake Pokemon
    Years
    • Seen Jan 1, 2023
    Gen 4 was crap the style was horrible I mean Gastrodon come on what the hell is that but i think they did that to keep the franchise going thinking it was failing now i think there going back to gen 1 and 2 style pokemon that look and take the shape of animals like a fox and not some some random blue or pink fishy freak pokemon

Too be fair, an interview with the creators revealed that Shellos and Gastrodon were originally going to be in Ruby and Sapphire, but they couldn't implement them right, so they were left out and then added in Diamond and Pearl.

Years
    • Age 28
    • Seen Mar 29, 2019
    ...I personally prefer most of the newer mons to the older ones >.>
    So, yeah, I think gen V will be good, just like gen IV was =P

Dominus Temporis

Fezzes are cool.
    Years
    • Seen Jul 24, 2012
    I just realized that the title of this thread is completely misleading. Instead of "Will Gen. 5 be the death of Pokemon?" it should be "Will I be so blinded by nostalgia goggles I can't see that Gen. V will be fine 'cause LOLZ Gen. IV's pokes were fugly."

Every Gen. 100+ Pokemon are introduced. Every Gen we get new evos, new pre-evos, maybe some new forms, et cetera. That in itself is "the formula". And as long as they stick to "the formula" they'll do fine. They've done fine for over a decade. Whether or not you think the new Pokemon look like pieces of crap on a stick does not matter because everyone CAN'T look like Pikachu, and Charizard, and Bulbasaur, and so on.
    Well said. Everything that gets changed just a little bit is always purported to be the total death of Pokemon. And yet the series is still a cash cow, so clearly people like it enough to buy it...

Honestly, it saddens me that we've got two Pokemon revealed and already people are debating if this'll be the end. That's... really just plain silly. (and I like a lot of the newer Pokemon. I don't understand the Rhyperior hate, he looks cool...)

Nikorasu

Shut down the devil sound
    Years
    Generation IV sucked so much >.<

The fact they started adding third evolutions was already the thing that made me hate it.

Ok, yeah they added pre-evolutions to pokemon like magmar and pikachu. But why did we need post-evolutions? :(

back onto topic: If they keep adding pokemon then it is going to die out dramatically.

danner704

The Ecruteak Gym Leader
    Years
    I joined pokecommunity just to comment on this thread XD

Dosen't anyone think 700+ pokemon is too much? The motto is "gotta catch 'em all!" it would be super difficult to do XD

I don't reckon gen 5 will be it's death. I never played Johto or Hoenn, and I only played Kanto when I was like 4 ^^
    -nostalgia goggles- My brother had red and I would stay up at night ruining his save :P I had no clue what I was doing, I've always loved pokémon nonetheless :D

Years
    • Seen May 11, 2016
    I like Rhyperior I don't care what anyone else says. .

Of COURSE everyone will think Generation 5 sucks. New things = Sucky to most people, at least.

But I don't think generation 5 will be the generation that makes the franchise die.

The motto is "gotta catch 'em all!" it would be super difficult to do XD
    They already dropped that motto during generation 3 because of the multitude of Pokémon. Besides, the Japanese motto is just 'Get Pokémon', which is relatively easy with most species.

danner704

The Ecruteak Gym Leader
    Years
    They already dropped that motto during generation 3 because of the multitude of Pokémon. Besides, the Japanese motto is just 'Get Pokémon', which is relatively easy with most species.

I didn't know that XD
    Ok, well then... the ore the merrier ^^

Back