• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

4th Gen Will HG/SS replace Platinum?

Years
    • Seen Oct 16, 2013
    Everyone is talking about replacing their platinum while i'm still waiting for it to be released (end of this month)

Though, I think I will get platinum caus there will still be plenty of time before HG/SS will be released

but those replacing platinum? Can't tell, depends on how they will be.

Penumbra

Do you enjoy reading this?
    Years
  • Didn't bother sizing or formatting since this is going to be one long post. Quoted everyone before me, practically, so..

Well, you're both wrong. If Japan gets it in, say, November, we should expect to receive it in (well July 2010) but if they decide for once not to be sackrocks, we may get it closer to the Japanese release.

EDIT: I forgot what this thread was about. Oh yeah. In short: yes. Platinum is a disappointing game and I predict HG and SS will be much better.

First of all, the anticipated and most likely release date is the anniversary of G/S, along with the figurines coming out. I agree that there's a possibility of getting it closer, though, if Nintendo of America translates the
    game fast enough.. After all, we did get Mario & Luigi 2 before Japan.

I HATE PLATINUM NOW THESE ARE GOING TO BE THE BEST GAMES EVR I CANT WAIT TILL SCREENSHOTS WILL PROBABLY BE SHOWN TOMORROW OR THE NEXT DAY

You hate platinum? Was Roark's Cranidos too tough for you? :(
    I highly doubt screenshots this early. First, let's wait for the big
    announcement on the 10th, pls.

Well i think it will, i expect the HG/SS english release will be around the same time as Plat was this year, so by then you should have done everything that Plat has to offer, and HG/SS will be all shiny and new and exciting and i think that as long as it has Wi-Fi battles then yes the only use Plat will have is as a storage cart for all the Pokemon that no one wants to transfer over.

Everything Plat has to offer? Have you ever heard of something called
    'Wi-Fi Events'? Platinum WILL live on, and it won't retire that soon.. Don't
    treat Platinum like a secondary. You never know what Pt Exclusive events might occur.

Games do not always live up to the hype given to them, especially if said hype was in place long before the games were even confirmed. I would not be surprised if these games fall short of everyone's expectations in one form or another, leaving fans to return to Platinum.

On the other hand, there is one part of this that gives me hope: there is a certain factor in Pokemon games that has become predictable, and that is that the "combination" third game in each Generation will be the superior one. Yellow was an improvement on Red/Blue/Green, Crystal was an improvement on Gold/Silver, Emerald was an improvement on Ruby/Sapphire, and Platinum was an improvement on Diamond/Pearl. In the case of FireRed and LeafGreen, these remakes were released before the main Generation's third game--Emerald--came out, meaning that they did not need to improve on a game that had yet to be released. This time, however, the third game of the Generation has already been released, meaning that Nintendo now needs to improve upon it with the coming releases. If Nintendo realizes this, as they most certainly should, then we should be in for two excellent remakes.

What? Where did you pick up that logic from? No one's commanding Game Freak to make this game better than Pokemon Green. The reason they make it better is not because it has to "live up to expectations" but merely
    because the market wants something new and rejuvenating. They could simply add one more TM than there was in Platinum and be done with the "New features".

Amen.

I totally agree with that...

wait you mean, the new g/s wont have all the pokemon so far? O_o

Sinnoh and Johto are two different worlds.
    -exits New Bark town.. Wild Starly appeared!-
    I NEVER want to see that in my life. Ever.

G/S will probably have a few Hoenn's and Sinnoh inhabitants..
    If anything, the pokemon in the game are merely expansions for
    the 'Dex in Platinum, since DSi obliterated GBA Slot.

Exactly what I had in mind when I asked the question. Since they are coming out *after* Pt, I wonder if they will have all of Pt's features and more, or be missing some of them, or some other combination of that.

This was basically my main concern. I'm spending a lot of time completing my National Pokedex, and then to have another set of games come out so soon (I know it would happen eventually, but so soon?) is sort of disheartening. Almost makes it not worth trying to finish the 'dex. Yeah, I'll have it completed on Pt, but what good will that do after I've moved on to HG/SS?

Again, HG/SS is meant for the nostalgia and what not, but a bigger chunk of the reason there'll be Johto pokemon is because there's basically no way
    to get Johto's with a DSi.

I'm not saying that's the sole purpose, but I'm saying it's a huge plus when they release HG/SS..

As said a lot of times already I'm so excited for these games, and cannot wait. Gen 2 was IMO the best generation, plot and pokemon wise. These games are gonna be huge I think. For me Platinum already got boring and old to me so I went back to play Sapphire, so to answer the OQ, yes it will replace it for me.

It's only natural that games lose their touch. After you explore and find every corner of Johto, Platinum will be calling to you like a siren's song..

I think I will probably play HG/SS more just because I love Gold so much, and my save battery died a long time ago. I really do enjoy Platinum, but Johto and all the memories along with G/S lead me to have a minor bias, just like FR/LG was more enjoyable than R/S/E for me.

I agree completely, except for the FR/LG part. It felt like a whole new game. Aside from that, Johto just has all the memories of a little kid.

Please to not be throwing around opinions like they are facts. I've been with Pokémon since Yellow came out, I've played Yellow, Gold, Crystal, Sapphire, FireRed/LeafGreen, Emerald, Pearl, and Platinum, and Crystal was the be-all end-all for me personally until Platinum came out; but that's just my opinion.

Actually, I'd be willing to take a risk and say that a huge chunk of Poke Fans would prefer Johto over Sinnoh (if they were on equal levelling, of course, as in HG/SS vs D/P/Pt). I must mention that I used the term "IMO" which means "in my opinion". And right now, judging by the humongous explosion of HG/SS supporting banners,
    I'd say the majority of PokeCommunity would like to agree with me.

As for whether HG/SS will "replace" Platinum: I think all the people going "OMG YES GEN II PWNED, IT WILL TOTALLY REPLACE PLAT" have proven their own statements wrong. The older games clearly have staying power, for all these people to be so sure that HG/SS is superior to Platinum before we've seen anything but the logos. (Although those ARE some nice logos.) Will HG/SS replace Platinum? Well, did Platinum replace G/S/C in the minds of all these fans? I would say not. And for the people who really love Platinum, I doubt HG/SS will replace it for them.

Older games clearly have staying power? What kind of dimension are you living in? In my world where the grass is green and the sky is blue, newer games tend to have more features than the previous one. No, newer ANYTHING is usually better than the older, let alone games. And Johto>Sinnoh. Even if they take out Kanto, the equation is still there. At this point, I'll firmly plant the ingrained roots and say "I think Johto is superior to Sinnoh, therefore HG/SS>D/P/Pt. "And for the people who really love platinum, I doubt HG/SS will replace it for them." Well, that's really nice. A small problem is that the people who are willing to cling on to platinum is a small minority compared to the humongous amount of fans who are ready to take a trip back to Nostalgia lane.

But in terms of pure special effects and bonus features, sure, of course Nintendo is going to make sure HG/SS is stuffed silly with new tricks and gizmos and subplots and territories for all of us to gleefully run around like the crazy ecstatic Pokémaniacs we are. So in that way, yeah, it'll definitely "replace" Platinum. Nintendo has already promised that HG/SS will have new features that not even Platinum has. (Personally, I'm hoping for the addition of some International Police characters, since the Johto plot is supposed to be happening concurrently with the Sinnoh plot. In FR/LG--I can't say for sure about all the way back in Gen I because I haven't played those games recently--there's even a guy on the S.S. Anne who claims he's with the International Police, on the tail of Team Rocket. So we know they must exist in the Johto/Kanto area, and I think they'd be neat new characters.)

Post is soo long... "tricks", "gizmos".. what exactly are you implying? I always thought the improved GT was better than the GTS, and not just a silly "trick" or "gizmo". You're saying Nintendo has promised new features that Platinum doesn't even have. Don't contradict yourself, now. Just because they add new features, doesn't mean
    the features will be top-quality. For example, look at the Wi-Fi plaza.
    It was so hyped and booming at the start, but you can't even talk to anyone..

Although I doubt HG/SS will beat out Platinum as my favorite Pokémon game to date (because no matter what new features it has, it's not going to have the entire Team Galactic cast and plotline), I'm definitely going to squee my heart out when I get my hands on SoulSilver. :D Can't wait for it to get here!

Finally, your post is over.. About Team Galactic cast and the plotline. It IS a remake, and not 100% I might add. You never know if we'll uncover where Cyrus has been hiding, or further work of Looker, or a deeper back story in to Charon (he knows Prof. Rowan, Rowan knows Elm, so why shouldn't Elm know Charon?)

HG/SS will be the ultimate games and will definitely be better than Platinum, not only because maybe Gen 2 was better, but also because remember Nintendo is releasing a more modern game so they know how to do DS games better. Like the first Spin Offs were only "tests" because they didn't showed what the DS could do. Platinum demostrated it with the Reverse World. Also the story'll be even larger, considering that in FR/LG they added the sevii islands its possible that HG/SS adds some new region or islands too. At least a Battle Frontier or something.

EDIT: Hmmm, I have to state that I really liked Platinum, I don't hate it.

Battle frontier is very likely, new islands? no. They just added that in FR/LG so we could obtain some Johto critters, and that's about it. Oh, and to give some more light on the Rocket plot..

Definitely. Johto is just the best region ever. People can just transfer their Pokemon.

I was seriously freaking out about the remakes. For a while now, I've wanted to restart on Silver but feared that my battery would soon run out and I'd lose information. I can actually quit playing Pokemon games after I buy Soul Silver <3

What? that makes no sense at all. You're going to quit playing Pokemon AFTER you buy Soul Silver?? Huh!?

ya know i dont know if anyone ever realized this, but platinum originally was going to be the "metal gen" remake(G/S/C) but at the time D/P was alot more popular so they did a slight remake of it like with crystal and emerald and yellow(since everyone seems to forget this was along the same lines :P)
    thats why platinum doesnt follow the "gem" name in the series. the gem games were technically Crystal(being that it was the look into the future of pokemon games :)) along with Ruby sapphire emerald diamond and pearl. but platinum is a metal name like gold and silver.

And who exactly told you this? It makes sense and all, but is there any real concrete evidence from Game Freak, saying Platinum was supposed to be the remake name? That makes no sense at all, seeing as

1) They have been working on HG/SS since (suspected by Fans,) the release of FR/LG, which means they already planned Heart AND Soul.
    How could it be one game?

2) Platinum is a perfect name for Giratina. It was something like Girasol (It's gem) + Platina (the colour or something) = GiraTina.
    Platinum doesn't even make sense. It'd be a whole new game in
    the Johto series.

3) If it WAS intended to be one game, don't you think it's be "Sparkling Crystal" or something, a remake of Crystal?

i actually just heard about these new remakes. i sure hope it will be good. perhaps theyll add more new regions instead of going to just kanto after youre done with johto. like maybe keep hoenn or the sevii islands or battle frontier or something.

Gen 1 + 2 = Good. Gen 2 + 3 or 4 = weird. Again, they're two different worlds.. I seriously doubt 3 regions in one game..

but anyway back to the point of this topic (sorry for the huge post just making a statement)
    while gold and silver are in my opinion the best of the poke games just because of all of its features which could be revamped to HELL and back thanx to new technology, it is undeniable that platinum is still a good game, because saying that platinum sux says that D/P also sukd, which it did not at all(minus the lack of a real storyline lol)

Word to your mother.

Whoa, whoa, thats sort of stupid. You may be waiting a YEAR to get your hands on it, so i wouldnt just toss Platinum aside. Think about it; No Platinum for a year. Youre lucky. Its not even out here yet.

I agree. Platinum will be calling you back after you're done with HG/SS.

I know. I hate that they will be releasing them so soon but I guess it is a anniversary gift to us fans. I will now have to get the most out of Platinum as I can but I dont feel as if it will replace it. I have always felt like Johto was kinda boring so I will still have a reason to play. Besides, Sinnoh seems futuristic while Johto seems more of the past and historical so they are two different worlds. I wont be playing DP anyomre though.

That H is so cool. Anyway, it is a tad early. But now that we know about it, we wish it could be released tomorrow. Johto and Boring should never go in the same sentence! Morty's gym was so fun, the burned Tin Tower and the new Tin Tower gave so much story, don't forget the extra 8 Gym Leaders from Kanto. Sinnoh = futuristic.. Not really. Modern Day is more appropriate. Johto DID seem more Japanese-themed and classical, but that's one of the many features fans loved. By the way, Sinnoh and Johto are supposedly taking place at the same time, so..

I think HG/SS will be great, since I grew up with it. But it definatly wont replace platinum. If its going to replace platinum its going to have these features:

- Battle tower/frontier That's pretty much a given.
    - Able to explore another region (oooo). Like johto or summin. Huh? what? For all these years, I thought Pokemon Gold and Silver took place in Johto? So you're saying they should allow us to explore the region all over again? Can't you just start a new game?
    - D/P/Plat compatible That's a given. Part of the reason of the remakes is so we could obtain Johto's on our Plat.
    - WiFi Oh c'mon. Just because they're gen 2, doesn't mean they'll have gen 2 features. T_T' Again, THAT IS A GIVEN.

And the question is...when you beat the game (E4), will Arceus, Dialga and Palkia come into the story line ?_?.

Arceus!? That's not even in Platinum ffs. Dialga and Palkia, the masters of Time and Space are meant for Sinnoh. Sorry. For now, we have to rely on the Sunny and Rainy day masters, Lugia and Ho-Oh. I DO hope they add more legends. Platinum was Jam-Packed with 'em.

I think that it will.
    You can get LUGIA!!!!!! and Ho-Oh without an event.
    It's return of the Johto! Who doesn't LOVE Johto!

So I think it will.

LUGIA!!!!! ftw. Also, you could still get Lugia and Ho-Oh w/o
    an event either way. All you need is a lot of time on your hands, a
    gamecube, and GBA-GC Connector, strong pokemon, and Pokemon XD: Gale of Darkness + Pokemon Colosseum.. Yeah, on second thought, let's stick to HG/SS.

well there will be more pokmon in the pokedex (not natinal) there any other game patilum had 210
    and Gold Sliver had 250 and HGSS will have 250+ 3rd Gen and 4Gen elovitions of the 1 and 2nd Gen so thats like 300 pokemon in the pokedex

I'm sorry, but what are you trying to prove here? What if it has more
    pokemon than platinum? Will your life change?

sorry if this has been mentioned, but are you all forgetting our little friends?
    thats right, remember the pokedex entries for shellos and gastrodon? we might get johto AND kanto Shellos/Gastrodons!
    and im sure some D/P/Pt. pokemon will come out in it without trades, maybe even sevii islands again, so +more shellos/gastrodon!
    think of the posibilities people!
    maybe a sub storyline like the ruby and sapphire quest in sevii, like we get to see part of hoenn, or maybe we used to live in sinnoh, or another region, maybe we can see poketopia as the new Battle Frontier!
    its great, but unfortunately, i live in england, so platinums gonna be around some tim here, *sigh*

~Aurα

EDIT: i forgot to mention the improvements on EoT and EoD from Explorers of the sky.
    ~Aurα

Those are good ideas.. Maybe they'll keep the Shellos west and Shellos east sprites, though. Some of that is too far for one game, like subplots with the Sevii's and what not, but those are still good ideas.

Heres a solution. Get a flash card XD.

and yes sevii islands would be sweeeet

Flash card ftw.

It has been stated on top of all the current features some new features will be in. What though I have no idea. It could be a gimmick it could be ground breaking. Also hmm current features. Maybe a frontier? Either way this will surely top platinum for me. I knew it was going to happen sooner or later just not so soon. hell who am I kidding. I knew i was just buying platinum to pass the time till this comes. XD

Yup. We all KNEW it was coming. We just had some doubts about when..
    Now that it's announced, there's no stopping us from going full blast and murdering Pokemon HG/SS.. All we need now is patience.

As some said, it will depend on the features, add-ons and more. Graphics are already going to be improved as we know that.

It just might be the best game they "ever" made.

Hopefully..

Does no one want Soul Silver!?

Actually, on a poll, most people preferred Soul Silver..

[/superlongpost]

Years
  • Agreed.
    But the fact that it's a remake and not an entirely new game will turn some fans off.
    they wont replace thinkof the trades you can do. just send all of your beefed up platinum pokemon back in forth if needed. USA gets pokemon games second and I think it is because they want to keep up foreign relations after what happened at hiroshima and nagasaki.

Last edited:
    Years
    • UK
    • Seen Jan 10, 2015
    They're not going to magically replace all the Platinum games in the shop.
    I'm still gonna buy both. They won't be out for ages so people will still buy platinum to satisfy their pokemon cravings until that time.

fenyx4

HOENN CONFIRMED!
    Years
  • IMO, I don't think so. Yeah, I've been waiting for HG/SS ever since I finished FireRed, but I'm also waiting to try out Platinum as well. I'm one of the probably miniscule number of Pokemon fans who still doesn't have a DS, or DPPt. :( Sad, I know. But I'm also one of the Pkmn fans who hasn't tried out GS yet. (Pokemon anime hooked me, then Digimon anime called to me, then Pokemon Sapphire hooked me ever since, achieving balance between both franchises. Long story, though...)

Anyway, DPPt and HG/SS still look promising as new adventures to me, so I'm eager for both! Though I can't truly respond to the topic at hand since I haven't played Platinum, I can make a similar albeit weaker comparison to Emerald and FR/LG. I loved playing through FireRed, don't get me wrong. (Orange Isles+Crew would've been preferred over Sevii, but Sevii was OK, I guess) But Emerald trumped it for me. Even though I've played Sapphire (and now Emerald) like a million times already, Emerald just had a certain touch. Probably the Btl Frontier, or unexpected Trainer Hill, or the revised plot. Even now, I can still handle monotonous sessions in the E4 and the Frontier of Emerald (or maybe it's because I'm patient and I can endure stuff like that. Or it's the only thing I can play now until Platinum and HG/SS :P).

Nevertheless, FR has its own touch as well. Even though it becomes REALLY boring after the Kanto Pokemon League and Sevii side-quest, it'll probably (to me) always feel like a newer adventure, simply because it captures the classics of the Pokemon franchise, and I haven't played it as much as I have RSE.

However, comparisons between RSE and FR/LG don't really hold any water when considering DPPt and HG/SS, most likely because all the experiences and playthroughs are different in some way. Whether HG/SS replaces Platinum depends on how much you love GSC, I suppose. But until HG/SS is released (since some new features might detract GSC fans if they are for the worse), we can't say for sure.

For me personally, most likely HG/SS = Pt, based on what I've heard about both games, as well as the fact that both will be all-new experiences for me. But with Gen. III, Emerald > FR/LG > Ru/Sa. But for those whose infatuation with GSC surpasses their love for all other main series games, including Platinum, HG/SS will most likely replace Platinum, due to its GSC similarity plus new features in Gen IV.

The slight feeling of HG/SS's repetiveness/familarity (due to being remakes of games people may have played before), though, would probably be the only reason,if any, that Platinum won't get replaced by GSC lovers. But, considering the clamor for HG/SS since Gen. III, that reason does not seem like it will matter, anyway. :)

Zackraa

Nom Nom Nom
    Years
  • No it will not

The gold and silver games were the crappiest pokemon games I had ever played though the pokemon and towns were good the gameplay (what I mean by this is the level of diificulty) was crap you can straight shot the entire game with feraligatr and 2 HM slaves nothing else required if they leave kanto out of this game I'll cry tears of joy because kanto made the level inclination next to nothing it was what? a 1 degree level rising incline in most of the other games the level from one gym to the next was 8-12 levels difference then the last gym to the pokemon league has a 10-14 level difference with a steadily rising incline in the elite 4 itself

I liked the pokemon some of my faves were Feraligatr, Furret, Tyranitar, Ariados, Lugia and Noctowl in fact they were my team, I loved the characters and the region as well but it was made too easy becase of the existance of kanto I hope that kanto will be a Battle frontier only type of thing so the rest of the game mainly johto can be made challenging

Zelda

⍃⍍⍄ ⍃⍍⍄
    Years
    • Age 8
    • +
    • Seen Sep 15, 2020
    Most likely HG and SS is going to hit number 1. A few people will buy Platinum, but since this is a remake of an old, old game...most likely a lot of people are going to be interested in HS and SS more.

FinalEclipse

Learning to be a Tile Artist
    Years
  • i hope whatever they do they put the pokegear on the touch screen that would be awesome.

i think HG/SS will replace platinum seeing as platinum was said to be better than it was in my opinion

platinum will still be fun to play when HeartGold comes out but lets face it whenever a new game comes out the previous game loses a lot of attention

BlueShadow

Banned
    Years
  • I think that the remakes will be the best games. I mean they will have the features of the original G/S, like the radio(I always liked that), and Bug catch contests.Plus the features that D/P/Pl have like, the GTS, Wifi Plaza, Super Contests, more move tutors, new weather(just imagine mahogany town being a snowy town like snowpoint city), seals, and a lot more. They probably will add MORE features and maybe they will add more music to the radio, make the move whirlpool a HM again, and add the headbutt trees.

You will be able to go to Johto and Kanto region!! (I liked that too!!)

So HG/SS will be the best games.

Zelda

⍃⍍⍄ ⍃⍍⍄
    Years
    • Age 8
    • +
    • Seen Sep 15, 2020
    I just saw a screenshot of it and I must say, it looks great already.

Yes the graphics are like D/P/PT but it is just so awesome that the starter follows you.

I don't know if Platinum will be able to outstand these speculations.

Lynx1

has significant angst
    Years
    • Seen Jan 27, 2011
    Did FRLG replace Emerald? No, they're different games.

Years
  • No I do not think this is the case. Yes people will probably get HGSS more than Pl but we still have a year left around the world until we get translations. So Platinum will still sell.

PokeGear APPS!!! I WANT MORE THAN 4! XD

Years
  • This thread is making the assumption that Platinum is "the" definitive Pokémon game out there, the practically undisputed champion of Pokémon games. Well, perhaps in terms of technology it is, but I really think there is no "definitive" Pokémon game. I've always seen the Pokémon franchise as having one of the most broken fanbases of all games; there's a lot of dispute over which games are the best. It tends to depend upon the games you started with; many people who started with R/S/E, for example, think Gen III is the best, while those who started in the beginning (like me) are oftentimes split between Gen I and Gen II, and a lot of the original fans will flat out tell you that anything after Gen II sucked (I'm not one of those, by the way; I did enjoy Emerald and LeafGreen, even if it wasn't my favorite generation). The newest Pokémon game is always gonna have a lot of followers based on the amount of advances it has, hence the amount of support for Platinum. But if there were to be a poll among Pokémon fans everywhere, I think we'd see a pretty even split.

That being said, I don't think HGSS is going to cut into Platinum sales. It might actually increase sales because of people like me who don't yet have a DS but who are considering getting one because of the remakes. If I get a DS, I will probably pick up Platinum and maybe Diamond or Pearl, as well, and I'm sure I can't be the only one.

BlueShadow

Banned
    Years
  • I just saw a screenshot of it and I must say, it looks great already.

Yes the graphics are like D/P/PT but it is just so awesome that the starter follows you.

I don't know if Platinum will be able to outstand these speculations.

I just saw a screenshot of the starter pokemon following the player, too.
    I think that it's awesome, now I'll see totodile all the time, lol!

Here is the screenshot:

https://gamerlimit.com/2009/05/heart-gold-soul-silver-first-screenshots/

Years
    • Age 32
    • Seen Nov 9, 2021
    I've an oldie, the 2nd generation was an amazing step up from the first generation. I remember buying Gold at Wallmart and then playing it for three days straight.

Second generation was the generation, I would have completely dropped Pokemon had it not been for Johto.

Years
    • Seen Feb 2, 2014
    Not sure how the conversation started to slide into discussion of whether HG/SS will cut into Pt sales. I never mentioned anything about sales. The main point I was wondering about was, if you complete your pokedex in Pt, then what do you do in HG/SS? Complete it again, or not bother?

Back