• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

6th Gen Will I be able to properly play X and Y ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Years
    • Seen Jan 11, 2014
    Alright sooo .... I've been a big fan of Pokemon ever since I could remember ( one of my first memories was waiting until 8 o'clock to watch the new episodes ) but I never really watched any of the series past the orange islands. I bought Pokemon black when it came out but it was kind of discouraging since I didn't know any of the Pokemon and I couldn't play it properly ( strategizing with types and such ). Do you think I'll be able to play x and y how I can play fire red ? Or do you think ill just feel lost again ? I think it's looks really cool but i don't want to buy it just to have my heart crushed.

(Ps this is my first post so sorry if I sound like an idiot)

Killjoy

"He was a laser fish."
    Years
  • I guess it depends. Was the only thing in black that had you lost the fact you didn't know the pokemon? If so, your just gunna have to learn em.. There's been about 600 added since your the Oringe Islands lol!

Other than that, it's all just stuff that comes over time. This will be the first pokemon game for some people, so your certainly no worse off than them! Start with a blank slate it you have to!

Years
  • I think you'll be able to play X & Y .. because it very much feels like Kanto, specially from the beginning, there are a lot of pokemon that are from Kanto region (just reached the first gym) so far I have encountered, Pidgey, Weedle, Caterpie, Pikachu, Metapod, and Kakuna (can't remember others).
    the first pokemon you will encounter in the wild after you choose your starter is Pidgey, it takes you immediately to the old versions memories.

when you continue the road a little you will enter a forest ( the same as in Kanto, forgot the forests name), but I do remember it was the only place where you could catch a Pikachu, and the same goes in Kalos.

after you beat the first gym you will go meet professor Sycamore, who will battle you with the 3 starters of Kanto, Bulbasaur, Squirtle & Charmander.. and after the battle he will let you choose one.

I think you should really get your hands on this game, it is a huge difference from the old versions, a better one and an easier(in term of trading and communication and stuff), you might feel weird a little bit in the beginning, but give it some time, you will really enjoy it.

Years
  • Of course you will! it won't be easy, more than 500 pokemon has been added to the game, type chart changed and some mechanics(such as physical and pecial moves split).
    I think you should try to research older game and than see the changes. in Bulbapedia and serebii there are alot of guides to the game mechanics, it can help. Nd if you have some question I'm sure everyone will be glad to help, I know will.
    It will be tough, but you can do it.

TearsOfNightfall

♦ the night watch ♦
    Years
  • It might help to keep a website with a Pokedex open nearby while playing at first, too - that way you can easily check the types of any pokemon you aren't sure of. I remember doing that when I first started Black (since I hadn't memorized all the new pokemon beforehand) and it worked pretty well.

DamienHelvian

Legendary Lucario Warrior
    Years
  • I think you'll be able to play X & Y .. because it very much feels like Kanto, specially from the beginning, there are a lot of pokemon that are from Kanto region (just reached the first gym) so far I have encountered, Pidgey, Weedle, Caterpie, Pikachu, Metapod, and Kakuna (can't remember others).
    the first pokemon you will encounter in the wild after you choose your starter is Pidgey, it takes you immediately to the old versions memories.

when you continue the road a little you will enter a forest ( the same as in Kanto, forgot the forests name), but I do remember it was the only place where you could catch a Pikachu, and the same goes in Kalos.

after you beat the first gym you will go meet professor Sycamore, who will battle you with the 3 starters of Kanto, Bulbasaur, Squirtle & Charmander.. and after the battle he will let you choose one.

I think you should really get your hands on this game, it is a huge difference from the old versions, a better one and an easier(in term of trading and communication and stuff), you might feel weird a little bit in the beginning, but give it some time, you will really enjoy it.

Ummm what?
    How can you have reached the first gym of a game that has yet to be released?
    It's being released everywhere at the exact same time....

Years
  • No, it has been released 4 days ago with us, and I read that it was released a week ago in Canada and Italy. I guess some stores don't respect the official release date and don't care about the consequences.

I could've reached further if I would not be restarting it every time I get a kanto starter :). and been busy with work and college, but in 30 minutes, my weekend starts, and we will be off for 10 days no work, no college, the only thing I am going to do is play Pokémon :), I am going to Thailand in four days, so will take it with me and play there too :D

happy Holidays ;p

Guy

just a guy
    Years
  • The wonderful thing about Pokémon is that each generation can stand on its own. You don't need to have played the previous games in order to play the new ones. As suggested, it might help to just check out the recent changes and newer Pokémon you might have missed out on since that troubled your before, but it's not really necessary. If anything, you might have even more fun because there's just that much more to discover while playing. Other than that, the only thing you can do is buy the games and see what it's like for yourself. Not much else can be said, really. I hope to see you around the forums and having fun playing X and Y.

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Back