• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Will pokémon ever become real via genetics?

Years
    • Seen Dec 16, 2022
    (replacement thread for recent thread on same subject [*])

With advances in genetic technology, do you ever think that a pokémon could be made from this? Do you think It's a good idea?

I don't see thing happening for a good few centuries, plus if something when wrong the implications could destroy the human race and even the entire planet if someone tries to make Groudon or any ultra-powerful pokémon.

For making cute and harmless pokémon it would be fine as long as the Pokémon is looked after well.

Years
    • they/them
    • Seen Apr 19, 2024
    (good call!)

If we're talking biological creatures, I guess animals with strange powers could be created at some point yes. Already, there are rabbits that glow in the dark and all kinds of strange poisons and water "attacks" that animals do. What I'm envisioning is something akin to the mutations of X-men, but probably induced by humans.

What's more likely though, is that with advanced robotics and AI, we could build robots looking like pokémon, to be our pets or friends or toys. That's already a thing, but not exactly with flamethrowers or attacks. I have a hard time seeing how ghost/psychic/dragon attacks could ever be reproduced in real life.

Flushed

never eat raspberries
    Years
    • Seen Nov 5, 2017
    You could argue that Pokemon-like creatures already exist. Appearance-wise, it's completely possible. As for abilities like breathing fire, levitating, stuff like that, I'd assume we'd make those things possible for animals in the hope for applying it to humans. The stuff like robots, as mentioned, are already being created to think on their own. So yeah I guess it's possible. It's completely possible, if you don't constrict yourself to a strict definition of a Pokemon.

Wobbu

bunger bunger bunger bunger
    Years
  • I can see Pokémon that resemble animals becoming real, but Ghost Pokémon and Grass Pokémon seem like they would be hard to create. I guess the Ghosts could be holographic, but they would still lack their supernatural abilities, like Dusknoir's ability to receive signals from the spirit world or Honedge's and Doublade's ability to posses swords (brand new Pokémon reference ftw).

Grass Pokémon could be possible, but will they actually be plants or plant-like animals? Would it be possible for them to undergo photosynthesis or extend a vine of ridiculous length out of their body? I suppose, but I don't think it will happen anytime soon.

Pokémon like Wailord and Squirtle may be possible to materialize. They're mostly regular animals with small aesthetic differences. Perform some DNA edits and boom, you have a Pokémon.

tl;dr It may be possible for some Pokémon, but not all.

Years
  • I fully expect that either in our lifetimes or in our next generation's lifetime, the technology for creating Pokemon will be available. To be quite honest though, I don't that it would be a very good idea, since a lot of Pokemon could be quite dangerous, especially Fire types and those that have moves like Earthquake.

What I'd much rather hope to see is some sort of virtual reality Pokemon. It would mean no real changes or threats to the world around us, but we can get as close as possible to actually having them exist. And better yet, we wouldn't have to worry about feeding them and taking care of their health like we do with pets in real life.

Last edited:
    Years
    • Seen Jan 25, 2014
    I can't imagine scientist wanting to. Don't we have better things to solve, like Poverty, War, Overpopulation and Terrorism rather than making superpowered animals? As cool as it would be to have a Swampert by my side.

Also, imagine an army of Tyranitars in the hands of a Dictator or something. That would suck.

Xerneas_X

Raven
    Years
  • I would say, no, genetics will never advance to create pokemon, some of the thigns they do are just out of the realm of possibility/physics/reality.

Sweets Witch

I just love ham jerky.
    Years
  • Science can make anything possible given enough time, but that doesn't mean it should be done. Can you imagine the crap hitting the fan over us creating animals that were designed to fight each other? Pokemon battles would be outlawed and that would just leave us with some very dangerous pets. Hell, Pokemon would probably become exotic pets that require special licenses to own.

Thinking about Pokemon in our world's nature is pretty interesting because there's a chance they might breed with our animals and anything could result from that. Humans may become the only species that doesn't lay eggs, animal DNA might strip Pokemon offspring of their powers and create harmless Pokemon, countless hybrids could exist, one species could develop a taste for a species of the other group and wipe it off the face of the earth, or animals as we know them could cease to exist due to them not being strong enough to survive in the same environments as Pokemon.

CoffeeDrink

GET WHILE THE GETTIN'S GOOD
    Years
  • This quote will fix this question, koff~

"We were looking to create the world's most powerful Pokemon- and we succeeded"
    _mewtwo__by_arvalis-d5ip44l.jpg

Years
  • Not in our great-grandchildren's lifetimes, no. Plus why would anybody waste tens and hundreds of millions of dollars just to create fictional creatures?

Peter Quill

Star-Lord, Legendary Outlaw
    Years
  • There are many things in Pokemon that defy logic. They might be possible over time but making them is impractical, I think.

Nolafus

Aspiring something
    Years
  • Is it possible? I'd have to say only with future technology. Right now, we don't have that kind of tech, but maybe in the future we would. I don't know if it's in our lifetime, but I'm going more for virtual reality like what Brendino said.

Would we want pokemon? I know a lot of people would say yes right off the bat, but let's think. Having a bunch of powerful animals running wild with special abilities that people will undoubtedly use for evil purposes. Not all, but some. My answer is no.

Zeffy

g'day
    Years
    • Seen Feb 7, 2024
    Not in our great-grandchildren's lifetimes, no. Plus why would anybody waste tens and hundreds of millions of dollars just to create fictional creatures?

All it takes is crazy idea and an indelible sense of vengeance/world domination/et cetera for someone to take the initiative. Well that, and a crazy amount of money. =p

Boilurn

Scald Pokémon
    Years
  • Probably not possible. It's unlikely that two animals will have the exact same behavior, but trying to copy animals to behave and look like Pokemon is another story altogether.

I have a hard time seeing how ghost/psychic/dragon attacks could ever be reproduced in real life.

I could also add Electric and some special Dark attacks to that but otherwise I agree on this. Also everyone has to have the ability to release toxic Poison, since Toxic is available for many many Pokemon, and I don't think that will be happening either.

Years
    • Seen Sep 14, 2017
    I don't think so for some Pokemon, say, uh, Tepig, because a pig that can use fire would be pretty scary.

But I think maybe a Pokemon like Eevee could be somewhat possible, because there's already animals that can adapt to different climates. . . like. . . dogs? There's so many breeds of dogs, and they can adapt to different weather, for example Huskies have lots of fur to keep them warm when it snows. So maybe scientists and vets could create a fox that could live in different weather conditions. So, a swimming fox (Vaporeon), a nocturnal fox (Umbreon), jungle fox (Leafeon) and so on.

Years
    • Seen Oct 28, 2013
    It seems impossible at least in next few hundred years. Molecular genetics isn't that advance and is quite a new branch as compared to anatomy and others. We don't have enough technology to modify dna as our will. There are about 33 million base pairs in human dna alone. Only minor traits have been modified even in animals like size. As opposed to others I'd say grass pokemon without animal features might be easier to make because of the information available about their dna but still far from what we can expect. Even disease like scid and down syndrome haven't been cured despite being genetic disease. And main focus of applied genetics is in agricultural plants and dna related disease. Some countries and religions prohibit modification in dna. So there are a lot of hurdles in this. But you never know what might happen ;-)

Foxing Buizel

*Turns head* *Bui!"
    Years
  • Given that you could create the DNA for anything, I would love to have a opportunity to play God and create Pokèmon. A Pokèmon. Do I think it would be possible? Given the current rate of technology increasing, yes.

Back