• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

6th Gen Will Pokémon X and Y add dual-type moves?

Years
  • Dual-type moves. With a new Pokemon type, being Fairy, it really seems like the Pokemon company is majorly reforming the Pokemon games as we know them. Like come on, if they already added a type, why wouldn't they add dual-type moves? Oh yeah, because that's DUMB. If this happened, it would be way too confusing. And, think about it, if a grass and water type move attacked a ground and rock type, would that be times 16 power? Not good. Overall, I would definitely call this fake. If anyone would object to this, feel free to reply.
    Thanks!
    ~Spys

Nah

Years
    • Age 31
    • she/her, they/them
    • Online now
    Funny thing is, there's already a dual type move: Hawlucha's Flying Press. It's Fighting/Flying.

They'll probably make more dual type moves in the future, but only a few, and they'll be restricted to certain Pokemon.

Years
    • Seen May 15, 2023
    Funny thing is, there's already a dual type move: Hawlucha's Flying Press. It's Fighting/Flying.

They'll probably make more dual type moves in the future, but only a few, and they'll be restricted to certain Pokemon.

Flying press is a Fighting type attack that deals flying type damage. It has one type but deals two types of attacks which does only one thing, change what recieves SE. Someone said pokemon like Snover takes x4 damage, but someone said that was false. I haven't tried and none of my friends ran tests.

Other than it dealing two types of damage while only having one type, its not that different than hidden power or natural gift where they are classed as one type but deals different typed damage.

The recoding to allow attacks to bypass traditional type match-ups is pretty cool. Freeze Dry is another that can work like that causing SE damage instead of being resisted. Wouldn't mind a few more since it throws competition throw a loop.

Years
    • Seen Dec 26, 2013
    I reeeeeally dont like the idea of double type moves... It's going to make the place so much more confusing and more competitive, @-@ but what power do i have i cant do anything about it. I'm scared for it though if it does develop :,D

Years
    • Seen Dec 26, 2013
    There's a whole heap of things you need to consider for battles, and accounting for dual-type moves isn't going to make a difference. For the competitive battle scene, stuff like Freeze Dry would force people to change their strategies to account for it.

That said, the game's already out. I don't see any more moves coming out at this point.

I just think that it's going to just make things happen like 8x effective. wow... no thank you.

But i doubt they'll be making more of those either this gen... but you never know. Oh well, :< I should get ready to endure it if must.

But if i told about it even more, First i wouldn't accept it, but assure you i will accept it later, just takes time to get to understand this phenomenon of new moves for the potential future gens.

Nah

Years
    • Age 31
    • she/her, they/them
    • Online now
    Flying press is a Fighting type attack that deals flying type damage. It has one type but deals two types of attacks which does only one thing, change what recieves SE. Someone said pokemon like Snover takes x4 damage, but someone said that was false. I haven't tried and none of my friends ran tests.

Other than it dealing two types of damage while only having one type, its not that different than hidden power or natural gift where they are classed as one type but deals different typed damage.

The recoding to allow attacks to bypass traditional type match-ups is pretty cool. Freeze Dry is another that can work like that causing SE damage instead of being resisted. Wouldn't mind a few more since it throws competition throw a loop.

I have reason to believe that Flying Press really is both Fighting and Flying at the same time. First of all, the move's in game description reads, in part: "This move is Fighting Type and Flying Type simultaneously".

I also ran calcs with Flying Press. Abomasnow is weak to both Fighting and Flying, but it should only take 2x the damage instead of 4x the damage if Flying Press isn't dual typed. I compared it to a move with similar base power (Flying Press has 80), but is just Fighting type: Sky Uppercut (85 power). And what I found was this:

252+ Atk Hawlucha Sky Uppercut vs. 252 HP / 0- Def Abomasnow: 338-402 (88 - 104.6%) -- 31.3% chance to OHKO

252+ Atk Hawlucha Flying Press vs. 252 HP / 0- Def Abomasnow: 640-760 (166.6 - 197.9%) -- guaranteed OHKO

Flying Press does almost exactly double the damage Sky Uppercut does, meaning it really does do 4x the damage and is therefore a dual typed move.

....Assuming the calculator is right.

Freeze Dry is a bit different than Flying Press. It's an Ice type move that has the added effect of being SE against water types.

Boilurn

Scald Pokémon
    Years
  • Interesting math skills there, but I wonder how the damage of Flying Press is going to be calculated against a Solid Rock Rhyperior (And also whether the screen would say "It's super-effective" or "not very effective") as it is 1.5x weak to Fighting and resistant to Flying.

Anyway, back on topic. If we wanted more Dual-type moves, they could've made some of the existing moves a Dual-type move. I believe Sky Drop should deal Ground-type damage here, rather than just have the move deal no damage against Flying-types. As a ratio, let's say as an example it is 20 BP for the Flying-type grab and 40 BP for the Ground-type landing. Same idea goes with Smack-Down as this move forces the opponent to hit the ground. It should deal Rock and Ground-type damage by nature.

Years
    • Seen May 15, 2023
    I have reason to believe that Flying Press really is both Fighting and Flying at the same time. First of all, the move's in game description reads, in part: "This move is Fighting Type and Flying Type simultaneously".

I also ran calcs with Flying Press. Abomasnow is weak to both Fighting and Flying, but it should only take 2x the damage instead of 4x the damage if Flying Press isn't dual typed. I compared it to a move with similar base power (Flying Press has 80), but is just Fighting type: Sky Uppercut (85 power). And what I found was this:

252+ Atk Hawlucha Sky Uppercut vs. 252 HP / 0- Def Abomasnow: 338-402 (88 - 104.6%) -- 31.3% chance to OHKO

252+ Atk Hawlucha Flying Press vs. 252 HP / 0- Def Abomasnow: 640-760 (166.6 - 197.9%) -- guaranteed OHKO

Flying Press does almost exactly double the damage Sky Uppercut does, meaning it really does do 4x the damage and is therefore a dual typed move.

....Assuming the calculator is right.

Freeze Dry is a bit different than Flying Press. It's an Ice type move that has the added effect of being SE against water types.

Its not dual typed though. Look at the type listing for the actual move. Its listed as Fighting only. Its coded to deal Flying type damage as well and that's it. The Damage is 2 types, but the Move itself is only 1 type. Hawlucha doesn't get STAB from both types as far as I'm aware and if it were two types STAB should have increased the damage a lot more than that.

If you change the typing of the attack, it still does Flying damage on the side due to the Flying damage is an added effect and not its actual type.

If Flying Press is used while under the effect of Electrify or Normalize, damage is calculated using Flying type and Electric or Normal type modifiers instead.

While it still does x4 damage to a Pokemon such as Abomasnow, this is because both Ice and Grass are weak to Fighting and Ice. If changed to Electric through the use of Electrify, the damage against Abomasnow would be neutral damage since it does change what can be effected by it, not to mention that it loses STAB bonus since its no longer a Fighting type attack. Same if Normalize effects it.

As for Freeze Dry its similar because both attacks have abilities that change the basic dynamics of the type chart's resistance and effective checks. Freeze Dry changes Water's resistance and deals Super Effective Damage while Flying Press adds in Flying Type Damage to off set the Fighting Type damage it does and creates a special list of damage calculation changes for it. Both are due to its effect and not its initial typing,

Interesting math skills there, but I wonder how the damage of Flying Press is going to be calculated against a Solid Rock Rhyperior (And also whether the screen would say "It's super-effective" or "not very effective") as it is 1.5x weak to Fighting and resistant to Flying.

It would do Neutral damage to Rhyperior and bypass its Solid Rock since it doesn't do Super Effective damage.

Anyway, back on topic. If we wanted more Dual-type moves, they could've made some of the existing moves a Dual-type move. I believe Sky Drop should deal Ground-type damage here, rather than just have the move deal no damage against Flying-types. As a ratio, let's say as an example it is 20 BP for the Flying-type grab and 40 BP for the Ground-type landing. Same idea goes with Smack-Down as this move forces the opponent to hit the ground. It should deal Rock and Ground-type damage by nature.

Smack down would become useless if it were Ground type as it wouldn't be able to hit either Flying or Levitate Pokemon which it was made to counter in the first place. The x0's take priority even with Dual Type attacks. An attack that deals both Water and Electric type attacks wouldn't do any damage to a Ground Type Pokemon.

Last edited:

Nah

Years
    • Age 31
    • she/her, they/them
    • Online now
    Its not dual typed though. Look at the type listing for the actual move. Its listed as Fighting only. Its coded to deal Flying type damage as well and that's it. The Damage is 2 types, but the Move itself is only 1 type. Hawlucha doesn't get STAB from both types as far as I'm aware and if it were two types STAB should have increased the damage a lot more than that.

If you change the typing of the attack, it still does Flying damage on the side due to the Flying damage is an added effect and not its actual type.

If Flying Press is used while under the effect of Electrify or Normalize, damage is calculated using Flying type and Electric or Normal type modifiers instead.

While it still does x4 damage to a Pokemon such as Abomasnow, this is because both Ice and Grass are weak to Fighting and Ice. If changed to Electric through the use of Electrify, the damage against Abomasnow would be neutral damage since it does change what can be effected by it, not to mention that it loses STAB bonus since its no longer a Fighting type attack. Same if Normalize effects it.

As for Freeze Dry its similar because both attacks have abilities that change the basic dynamics of the type chart's resistance and effective checks. Freeze Dry changes Water's resistance and deals Super Effective Damage while Flying Press adds in Flying Type Damage to off set the Fighting Type damage it does and creates a special list of damage calculation changes for it. Both are due to its effect and not its initial typing,

You have a point there. So perhaps its not truly dual typed, but the fact that it deals 2 types of damage still kinda makes it a dual type attack in my mind. Eh, its not really a big deal anyway.

But I found this sentence a bit odd: "While it still does x4 damage to a Pokemon such as Abomasnow, this is because both Ice and Grass are weak to Fighting and Ice".

?
    Unless I've totally lost it, I'm pretty sure that Grass is not weak to Fighting, Ice is not weak to Ice, and we're talking about a move with Fighting and Flying properties.

Years
    • Seen May 15, 2023
    You have a point there. So perhaps its not truly dual typed, but the fact that it deals 2 types of damage still kinda makes it a dual type attack in my mind. Eh, its not really a big deal anyway.

But I found this sentence a bit odd: "While it still does x4 damage to a Pokemon such as Abomasnow, this is because both Ice and Grass are weak to Fighting and Ice".

?
    Unless I've totally lost it, I'm pretty sure that Grass is not weak to Fighting, Ice is not weak to Ice, and we're talking about a move with Fighting and Flying properties.

I meant flying and got lost while writing. If you pay attention I do it alot XD

Nah

Years
    • Age 31
    • she/her, they/them
    • Online now
    I meant flying and got lost while writing. If you pay attention I do it alot XD
    I figured that was it, but I just wanted to make sure. ^_^ I often have to proof-read my posts to make sure that I don't type something that doesn't make crap for sense. And even then they often have little typos in them.

So, I guess the most accurate way to describe Flying Press is that it is a move that is very similar to what would be a dual typed move, but is not a true dual typed move since Hawlucha doesn't get STAB from both parts, among other things. Da?

Years
    • Seen May 15, 2023
    I figured that was it, but I just wanted to make sure. ^_^ I often have to proof-read my posts to make sure that I don't type something that doesn't make crap for sense. And even then they often have little typos in them.

So, I guess the most accurate way to describe Flying Press is that it is a move that is very similar to what would be a dual typed move, but is not a true dual typed move since Hawlucha doesn't get STAB from both parts, among other things. Da?

That's pretty much what I've been saying from the beginning (not just here)

KittenKoder

I Am No One Else
    Years
  • Switch type moves exist, though I do think they over-complicate things. Based on interviews, such complications may be out the window soon. They do make sense, but as I said, they complicate the game a bit more than other moves, and some Game Freak reps have mentioned simplifying the game, getting back to the roots.

If they proceed to simplify the game as some of them have said, then switch types will likely get the axe and dual type moves will never be a thing. Even if they don't do away with switch type moves, I doubt any of them would even consider dual type moves as viable, and I would agree. Dual type moves would potentially imbalance the game as well, imagine Sableye with a dual type damage move.

Chr. Draco

Spatial Rift
    Years
    • Seen Apr 6, 2024
    depending on the situation, dual type moves may be useful and maybe not, they may unbalance but at the same time they may balance, it's just perspective; for competitive use, people would use double typed moves to counter any pokemon they would have a hard time to counter, and that would make others to think of a counter strategy, battling is that, combo and strategy.
    considering the facts of this moves, I guess it would be safe to asume that as dual typed thanks to their additional effect they can do 4X super effective as stated before and also do normal damage considering that the pokemon is resistant to the first type but it's weak to the effect or viceversa, so probably since the basic type is fighting, even with the effect of flying it would do 0 damage agaisnt ghost type so nothing changes there, so in general, dual type because of the effect. For freeze dry i guess it was created to counter bulky wáter pokemon, and probably also make kingdra weak agaisnt it and give players more probabilities to counter it since it's one of the pokemon mostly used in the competitive area along with many others, but I wonder if it would be super effective agaisnt pokemon like lapras who are ice water, since this move would be super effective agaisnt water, but since ice type resist their own type, does this move would still do super effective damage or it will do neutral damage?

Back