• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Will Pokemon Survive

pokesonicfanthomas

Froakie is Our Froggy Overlord
    Years
    I just have to say Pokémon is NOWHERE close to ending. It's just too popular. While it may seem like Pokémon could die off due to the fact that most gamers (including kids) love to play these modern day super edgy shooters. But Pokémon still has a HUGE fan base and I just don't see it ending anytime soon.

Blueredemption

Never stop exploring!
    Years
    • Age 25
    • Seen Oct 16, 2023

As for the smartphone argument...that doesn't stand, any more than it does as the reason for the PlayStation Vita's underperformance. Smartphone gaming is the handheld equivalent excuse to the excuse of PC gaming being the reason for console gaming's decline: it's something developers use to feel better about the crappy quality titles they churn out and wonder why people don't buy, and consumers use as a marker to herald the end times. The effect that smartphone gaming has on the industry is vastly overplayed and completely misunderstood.

At this precise moment in time it doesn't really apply to Nintendo, either - Pokemon GO (which I despise the idea of, but applaud anyway) is going to bridge that gap (or at least try to) and god only knows what they've got up their sleeves with the NX at this point. Before anyone goes and says Pokemon is going to be phased out in the younger generation by smartphone gaming, wait and see what Nintendo comes out with for the future to address that, because you can bet they're aware of it and have plans. They always do. Think about how the DS and Wii were perceived before they came out, and how well they performed. Unlike most developers, Nintendo learn from their mistakes, and they've been around a very, very long time. They've had their ups and downs, but despite the popularity of alternative sources of gaming they have always managed to hold their own. It would be VERY unlike Nintendo to discontinue one of their major franchises.

Oops I should probably clarify, I meant smartphones in general. They are a major distraction and it's in no way just the games. Phones are a great outlet to social media and other forms of communication, and currently Pokemon has almost no presence to grab attention from the other capabilities that they allow.

I will agree with you though. The idea that Pokemon, or Nintendo for that matter, is falling into a pit of failure is way off. They have a long way to go before we have to start worrying about them. Sure the anime is tanking, but the other outlets seem to be holding strong. The fact that they are losing grip on children once they get out of elementary school is a warning sign. If they take the proper measures, which I am sure they are doing, they should be fine.

Nah

Years
    • Age 31
    • she/her, they/them
    • Seen today
    BeachBoy was saying something about wanting numbers so I did a little looking and made a couple of graphs because I have nothing better to do. Numbers were pulled from this page.

Spoiler: Sales Figures for each Generation
    Will Pokemon Survive

Keep in mind that when I grouped them by generation it was like:
    Gen1: Red/Blue/Green/Yellow (4 games)
    Gen 2: Gold/Silver/Crystal (3 games)
    Gen 3: Ruby/Sapphire/Emerald/FireRed/LeafGreen (5 games)
    Gen 4: Diamond/Pearl/Platinum/HeartGold/SoulSilver (5 games)
    Gen 5: Black/White/Black2/White2 (4 games)
    Gen 6: X/Y/ORAS (4 games)

Spoiler: Sales Figures, but more split up

Will Pokemon Survive

Interpret that all how you will.

And this page confirms what he was saying about X/Y being the best selling 3DS games so far, with them beating out other high profile games like Mario Kart 7, Smash Bros 3DS, Animal Crossing New Leaf, Ocarina of Time 3DS, etc. ORAS are the 3rd best-selling 3DS games as of now.

There's obviously still the spinoffs, TCG, anime, manga, and merch to cover, but I'd figured that'd be a decent start.

edit: Just gonna post the link again that Boss Salamence posted earlier about the Pokemon TCG apparently basically being one of the top 3 selling TCGs in the world as of Spring 2015 (ty for that btw): https://icv2.com/articles/markets/view/32100/top-collectible-games-spring-2015

Last edited:
    Years
    BeachBoy was saying something about wanting numbers so I did a little looking and made a couple of graphs because I have nothing better to do. Numbers were pulled from this page.

Spoiler: Sales Figures for each Generation
    Will Pokemon Survive

Keep in mind that when I grouped them by generation it was like:
    Gen1: Red/Blue/Green/Yellow (4 games)
    Gen 2: Gold/Silver/Crystal (3 games)
    Gen 3: Ruby/Sapphire/Emerald/FireRed/LeafGreen (5 games)
    Gen 4: Diamond/Pearl/Platinum/HeartGold/SoulSilver (5 games)
    Gen 5: Black/White/Black2/White2 (4 games)
    Gen 6: X/Y/ORAS (4 games)

Spoiler: Sales Figures, but more split up

Will Pokemon Survive

Interpret that all how you will.

And this page confirms what he was saying about X/Y being the best selling 3DS games so far, with them beating out other high profile games like Mario Kart 7, Smash Bros 3DS, Animal Crossing New Leaf, Ocarina of Time 3DS, etc. ORAS are the 3rd best-selling 3DS games as of now.

There's obviously still the spinoffs, TCG, anime, manga, and merch to cover, but I'd figured that'd be a decent start.

edit: Just gonna post the link again that Boss Salamence posted earlier about the Pokemon TCG apparently basically being one of the top 3 selling TCGs in the world as of Spring 2015 (ty for that btw): https://icv2.com/articles/markets/view/32100/top-collectible-games-spring-2015

Actually, I'm not sure if that references the whole world as it could just reference how it is in the U.S., but regardless, Pokemon is one of the big three card games alongside Yu-Gi-Oh and and Magic: The Gathering. There are obviously other card games, like Cardfight Vanguard and Force of Will, which caught on rather quickly I believe and are relatively popular, but I think they don't come close to the big three card games, at least in the west. Yo-Kai Watch and anything with the whole "monster collecting" thing might still become or are popular, but to reach where Pokemon is at, it may not be possible for any of those. Like I said earlier, some things are just too big and too popular.

Adam Levine

[color=#ffffff][font="Century Gothic"]I have tried
    Years
    I'm hoping Pokémon will stick around for another ten years or so. I mean, Nintendo's bigger titles, like the Super Mario franchise, have been around for at least 20 years as well. So why not do it to Pokémon?

I'll predict Pokémon could come to an end when Satoshi Tajiri, Ken Sugimori or someone else dies. Considering the fact that most of the main staff of Pokémon are just old Japanese men, we can assume that Pokémon would make a 7th Gen and get this over with. Sadly the fan base will never be the same then.

VisualJae

[size=1][FONT=Michroma][color=#a42525][b]Spam Hype
    Years
    Every empire will have golden ages and times of struggle. It depends on how the higher-ups can lead and adapt. Considering the franchise is tied to Nintendo, it has its resources. I can't say how their organization flows, obviously, as I don't work there, but it's a huge advantage.

I'll predict Pokémon could come to an end when Satoshi Tajiri, Ken Sugimori or someone else dies. Considering the fact that most of the main staff of Pokémon are just old Japanese men, we can assume that Pokémon would make a 7th Gen and get this over with. Sadly the fan base will never be the same then.
    I have to say that is silly at best and one of the least concerns. Numerous companies, video game industry or not, regularly replace members of their board. It doesn't matter if it's the founder, the CEO, the president, whatever. Whoever can get the job done keeps his/her job. If someone kicks the bucket, he/she gets replaced by a new brain. Ken Sugimori doesn't even design all the Pokemon. Tajiri has been the executive producer since Diamond & Pearl. Game direction, game design, scenario writing, etc. all fall on others now.

Look at Apple. Look at Microsoft. Look at Google. None of their original founders are directly leading the charge. None of Apple's founders have much to do with Apple anymore. Bill Gates is merely a tech advisor. Larry Page/Sergey Brin are part of Alphabet, Inc. the parent company of Google. Compare that to Nintendo and Game Freak, though the latter is a private development company.

Look at Final Fantasy. The original creator isn't around anymore. Sure, there have been some questionable games in the series. But Square Enix is still going strong and the franchise still has an incredibly rabid fan base.

Look at Call of Duty. Ben Chichoski is the creator, but as far as I know (and correct me if I'm wrong), he's not the head honcho who's responsible for the franchise anymore. Yet look at the franchise. Just look at it. People don't stop throwing money at the franchise.

I can keep going with examples.

Edit: Can't believe I forgot. Here's a relevant one and fitting for the time.

Star Wars.

George Lucas out. J.J. Abrams in. Disney in. Let's see if Star Wars dies.

I doubt it.

Edit 2: Nope. Pretty sure it's not going to die, considering critics are raving about it. Case in point. Prequel trilogy was the franchise's low point (namely Phantom Menace). Now we can't rule out a new renaissance.

Last edited:
    Back