• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Will their ever be a end to the pokemon franchise?

Years
    Actually, Cyndaquil's species name classifies it as the "Fire Mouse Pokémon"

And what are foxes, again? They are animals of several species, which all belong to the Canidae family, a family that includes wolves, jackals, coyotes, and domestic dogs.

Pokémon isn't always literal with the interpretations and inspirations it uses for the species of Pokémon that they create. For example, the Charmander line is probably based on the Dragon, but Charmander itself still looks more like a lizard than a dragon. And Blastoise's name is actually the "Shellfish Pokémon," even though its clearly based off of a turtle and turtles do not belong to that family we know as "shellfish."

I did make a mistake with Cyndaquil, sorry, and you have to say, mouses and rats, though similar, ARE different animals. Also, you said yourself, Pokemon is not always clear. Porcupines are included in the rodent family...so why not? And if you look and the Charmander lines names... Char+Salamander Char+Chameleon Char+LIZARD. As you can see, their names all imply that they are based on lizards, so they are not dragons. Your theory is an interesting one, and quite believable, if the same pattern on starters follow, I might believe it.

Years
    • Seen Sep 1, 2023
    I did make a mistake with Cyndaquil, sorry, and you have to say, mouses and rats, though similar, ARE different animals. Also, you said yourself, Pokemon is not always clear. Porcupines are included in the rodent family...so why not? And if you look and the Charmander lines names... Char+Salamander Char+Chameleon Char+LIZARD. As you can see, their names all imply that they are based on lizards, so they are not dragons. Your theory is an interesting one, and quite believable, if the same pattern on starters follow, I might believe it.

You can't ignore, however, that Charizard is clearly based, design wise, on a classic interpretation of a medieval dragon. Also, a salamander is actually the name of a mythical, reptilian creature (like a dragon) that is tied to fire. Lizards and dragons are related in many aspects, so just because it isn't named "Chardragon" doesn't mean it doesn't have draconic aspects. Plus, the fact that one of Charizard's Mega Evolutions is a Fire/Dragon type kind of backs me up here.

In regards to the Cyndaquil line, however, I think that they don't really draw that much inspiration from porcupines. If any starter is based on porcupines, its Chespin. However, its really not clear where Cyndaquil gets its inspiration. It could be a porcupine, it could be a badger, it could even just be a badass rat or prairie dog.

But, I mean, why else would they make the fire starters that they have if they're not basing it on some sort of Chinese Zodiac theme. They made Torchic-Combusken-Blaziken, there's a rooster in the Chinese Zodiac. They made Chimchar-Monferno-Infernape, there's a monkey too. They made Tepig-Pignite-Emboar, there's a pig as well.

Also, its worth mentioning that apes (like Chimpanzees, which Chimchar is based on) are in fact NOT monkeys (as Monferno and InfernAPE clearly are). Apes are a completely different branch of primates. However, Pokémon saw fit to have a chimp morph into two monkeys. See, Pokémon is not always literal and doesn't strictly follow real-world classification of species.

Years
    You can't ignore, however, that Charizard is clearly based, design wise, on a classic interpretation of a medieval dragon. Also, a salamander is actually the name of a mythical, reptilian creature (like a dragon) that is tied to fire. Lizards and dragons are related in many aspects, so just because it isn't named "Chardragon" doesn't mean it doesn't have draconic aspects. Plus, the fact that one of Charizard's Mega Evolutions is a Fire/Dragon type kind of backs me up here.

In regards to the Cyndaquil line, however, I think that they don't really draw that much inspiration from porcupines. If any starter is based on porcupines, its Chespin. However, its really not clear where Cyndaquil gets its inspiration. It could be a porcupine, it could be a badger, it could even just be a badass rat or prairie dog.

But, I mean, why else would they make the fire starters that they have if they're not basing it on some sort of Chinese Zodiac theme. They made Torchic-Combusken-Blaziken, there's a rooster in the Chinese Zodiac. They made Chimchar-Monferno-Infernape, there's a monkey too. They made Tepig-Pignite-Emboar, there's a pig as well.

Also, its worth mentioning that apes (like Chimpanzees, which Chimchar is based on) are in fact NOT monkeys (as Monferno and InfernAPE clearly are). Apes are a completely different branch of primates. However, Pokémon saw fit to have a chimp morph into two monkeys. See, Pokémon is not always literal and doesn't strictly follow real-world classification of species.

Well, I don't agree about Chespin. It's called the 'spiny nut' pokemon and its name is clearly based off of a Chestnut. And I know, 'pokemon's not always clear,' I get it. And who says a porcupine is hard to work with? What about a pile of trash? Magnets? A deer? As much inspiration can come from a porcupine as it can come from a deer. It seems that what you're saying is that your logic is only applicable to your OPINIONS and no one elses.

Years
    • Seen Sep 1, 2023
    Well, I don't agree about Chespin. It's called the 'spiny nut' pokemon and its name is clearly based off of a Chestnut.

Well, as I pointed out in a previous post, Blastoise is called the "Shellfish Pokémon" even though its clearly based on a turtle. The species names of many Pokémon are not always indicative of their true inspiration.

And if you actually look at the Chespin line, its quite clear how they draw inspiration from hedgehogs/porcupines. Mostly due to the spikes on their heads and/or backs. So, you're right, Chespin's line is based on chestnuts. However, the designers exploited how chestnuts' spiny outer shells resemble the spines on porcupines and/or hedgehogs.

And who says a porcupine is hard to work with? What about a pile of trash? Magnets? A deer? As much inspiration can come from a porcupine as it can come from a deer. It seems that what you're saying is that your logic is only applicable to your OPINIONS and no one elses.

Um...I never said this. I don't know what I said that would make you think I believed porcupines were hard to work with. What I said was that it was unclear what Cyndaquil's line is based on. The only thing that is clear is that they are based on some sort of rodent-like animal. Bulbapedia states that Cyndaquil may draw inspiration from echidnas or shrews.

Years
    • Seen Jan 27, 2016
    Possibly if one of the main voice actor's passes away hopefully not in at least 30 years otherwise it's too strong financially like The Simpsons are.

Last edited:

bobandbill

one more time
    Years
    Possibly if one of the main voice actor's passes away hopefully not in at least 30 years otherwise it's too strong financially like The Simpsons are.
    Anime is based on the games rather than the other way around, so something like that if it was significant wouldn't stop the games.

And I think ages back they changed a large number of the voice actors too, so it's probably not something that would affect the franchise. A vocal minority got upset about it, but that was pretty much it.

GeraldTheTheroiest

Pokemon Theroiest
    Years
    • Seen May 27, 2015
    sarahmib and Superfox, the purpose of this thread was to discuss the speculation that the pokemon franchise could end, it wasn't made to argue over pokemon logic and the sort

Years
    Um...I never said this. I don't know what I said that would make you think I believed porcupines were hard to work with. What I said was that it was unclear what Cyndaquil's line is based on. The only thing that is clear is that they are based on some sort of rodent-like animal. Bulbapedia states that Cyndaquil may draw inspiration from echidnas or shrews.

Sorry, I have a complicated brain:p Also, remember Bulbapedia is a community run site, it's not official. So, it's basically people's opinions in that part. Their guess is as good as anyone else's.

Years
    • She/Her, It/Its
    • Online now
    It will end at some point, but hopefully it will end great, unlike a certain other franchise, that's just getting more and more remakes, sequels and sequels of sequels of a game, nobody wants.

On the other hand a sandox game is a little bit different than your standard JRPG, so Pokemon could live way longer.

Years
    • Seen Aug 6, 2014
    I think so yeah. While it it's worth making it for them ofc not but the editions are getting less and less popular.

Gulpin

poisonous
    Years
    • Seen Jan 16, 2017
    I'm sure that it will end either when Nintendo shuts down or when it stops making the money that makes it worth it for them to produce the games.

Hopefully none of these things will happen in the near future, but you never know.

Back