• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

4th Gen Will they change the name of the Gen I rival?

Years
    • Seen Aug 9, 2009
    In G/S/E, he was named Blue due to just about everywhere that wasn't Japan getting Red and Blue instead of Red and Green. Since the remakes were still called FireRed and LeafGreen outside of Japan, will they rename the Gen I rival to Green?

Oh! More importantly, what do you think they'll do about the Gen I remake's female protagonist? Perhaps if you choose the female protagonist in HG/SS, you fight her instead of Red at Mt. Silver? Maybe they'll finally give her an official name. I'm betting the call her Blue and change the rival's name to Green. It seems like the most obvious solution to me.

Jolene

Your huckleberry friend
    Years
    • Age 28
    • Seen Apr 18, 2024
    I think that he'll be called Green, and that the female character won't be included.

Years
    • Seen Jul 21, 2010
    idk if they'll call him green, I believe he'll be named Blue still, but who knows! and Im sure also that the girl in FR/LG won't be included

Empty Pot

a new beginning...
    Years
  • They should name:
    Blue into LeafGreen
    Red into FireRed
    And the girl probably won't be included...

I don't see what parent would name there child that.

Anyways, maybe since Game Freak sees how much we are obsessed with PokeSpe, he will remain Red. I hope so anyways.

PsychoTines

Shake Dem Dice and Roll Em
    Years
  • I will cry if Red is switched to 'Leaf'(that IS what people call her, Am I right) >:
    And the rival from Gen I? Should be Green.
    I suppose in the Jap, he'll be green. and he might still be Blue in English. However, I'm unsure. Guess we'll have to see.

Years
    • Seen Aug 9, 2009
    Probally Blue still but whats G/S/E? (Gold,Silver,Emerald?)

"G/S/E" means I'm an idiot. I meant "G/S/C". I'm used to typing "R/S/E", so the "S" threw me off.

I will cry if Red is switched to 'Leaf'(that IS what people call her, Am I right) >:

I don't mean him being completely replaced. I mean him being replaced only if the protagonist is female. In other words, Gold will fight Red and Kris will fight "Leaf".*

*I'm assuming the female protagonist we see is a significantly redesigned Kris, and not an entirely new character. After all, would any of you look at the two Reds (R/G/B/Y and FR/LG) and say they're the same character if you didn't know better? Also, I hate the name "Leaf". People call her "Leaf" because that's the internal placeholder for her name in the game's code. I think it's ridiculously obvious that her real name is supposed to be "Blue", but there's no hard evidence for that.

Years
    • Seen Aug 9, 2009
    Dude, in the english manga, the girl was named green and the rival was named blue.

I see no reason to change anything

Yes, but with the remakes acknowledging the second color as Green, plus "Green" being the first default name for the rival in the "dominant" version (FireRed), I believe that discrepancy has been erased in the games' continuity.

PsychoTines

Shake Dem Dice and Roll Em
    Years
  • I don't mean him being completely replaced. I mean him being replaced only if the protagonist is female. In other words, Gold will fight Red and Kris will fight "Leaf".

I've only heard her called Leaf. And I don't believe the new girl is Kris. Thats too much of a change in IMO.

But about Red, I was planning on being the girl, that's why I said that.

In the Manga, or at least the Japanese, Green WAS the rival
    I haven't looked at any of it too incredibly recently, but all of Serebii's Manga Bios confirm what I say.

IceSage

Sage of Ice
    Years
  • I'm guessing it'll be the same... As the original R/B/G characters are literally, and always have been, "Red, Blue, and Green." This is the way it is in most of the manga related content as well. The only reason why it was "Leaf Green" and "Fire Red" at first, is because the original games were "Green" and "Red" -- With "Blue" being a special game that was released AFTER Red / Green. The traditional games, especially known to Japan, have always been Red and Green.

Blue was an "enhanced" version that came after Red and Green. The American Pokemon Red, is based off of the Japan's "enhanced" "Blue" game. This is why, if you download Pokemon Green or import it from Japan, it'll have distinct graphical differences.

So basically:

Japan: Red and Green ---> Blue ---> American/English: Blue AND Red

Japan: FireRed and LeafGreen --> American/English: FireRed and LeafGreen

The Non-Japanese regions never saw the light of either of the original Japanese Red or Blue releases at all. The game we received instead was the later added on and enhanced "Blue" version.

So, to the Japanese and creators of the Pokemon franchise, it has ALWAYS been Red, Green and Blue for the character names. The fact that we got a "Green" in place of "Blue" for "LeafGreen" is because Japan's Pokemon tradition was always Green/Red, and not Blue.

Unless some American translator decides it will be a brilliant idea to mess around with the names, I don't see Red's name changing to "LeafGreen" or "Leaf."

I hope this explains it.

Shaymew

likes when Dunsparce Glares
    Years
  • they probably will name him gary and probably rename red to ash.
    I would hate them so so so so so so so much if they rename red to ash..
    It makes more sense as red...

Anyway for on topic I would like to see him named Green and have the REAL blue make an appearace. She was awesome.

Years
    • Seen Aug 9, 2009
    Unless some American translator decides it will be a brilliant idea to mess around with the names, I don't see Red's name changing to "LeafGreen" or "Leaf."

No one here even suggested that Red's name would change. "Leaf" is the name popularly given to the female protagonist of FR/LG, due to the word "Leaf" being the internal placeholder for her name in the game's data. I think her name was obviously supposed to be "Blue" in Japan (and possibly in North America, as well, depending on whether the rival's name has officially reverted to "Green" or not), but there's no concrete evidence for this.

Back