• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Will You Be Getting a DSi?

Will you be buying a DSi?

• Yes

Votes: 18 40.9%
  • No

Votes: 26 59.1%

• Total voters

Capt. Couch

Wake me... When you need me...
    Years
    Nintendo's new DS model will be released outside of Japan in quarter four of 2009; North Americans can expect to find them stacking shelves around the holiday season. It is noted for having several new features including SD card support for music, a Wii Shop Channel-like store and a camera.

I myself won't be grabbing one. A camera and SD card support won't be enough to convince me to line up for one. I have an R4 cartridge which already supports media with an application called Moonshell, and I can use my regular camera (a little old-fashioned, but still functional) to take pictures. I was also never a big fan of WiiWare-like games to begin with, so downloadable applications won't influence my decision either.

The DSi doesn't have slot-2 (GBA) cartridge support too, which means no GBA games, no importing Pokémon to your Diamond/Pearl cartridge, no Guitar Hero, no rumble pak, no cache expansion bay, and no general extension support.

That's just my two cents. I don't mean to sound like I'm bashing the system, I'm just stating my reasons against buying one.

Volkner's Apprentice

PC Veteran Prize Fighter
    Years
    ^---Ditto. It's just a meh upgrade compared to the Regular Ds ---> Lite. I can do all those things with my phone, plus I feel like my Lite is brand new, it'd be waste to spend that much.

Fenrir Reki

Guardian of Destruction
    Years
    I probably will, since it can also be usued as a camera. Even though it doesn't have double slots, I can just use a regular DS lite for that.

Years
    Possibly.My Ds's hinge broke so the screen doesn't stay put,it flops back :|
    If there's a deal at Gamestop where I can bring in my lite and get a discount i'm definitely getting it.I hardly play gameboy games anyways...

It'll be like a PSP,except with way better games :D

Eon-Rider

An "Original" PC Supporter
    Years
    I'm only buying a DSi if the SD slot gets hacked, if it can run custom firmware like the PSP and there are amazing games only for it, which I doubt. If not, I'm sticking to my DS Lite.

Last edited:
    Years
    • Seen Feb 1, 2010
    I Still have my DS Lite. but if i got Enough Money. i Would Buy DSi. it Has lots of Great Functions! its Like A PSP rival

Akeraz

Winning is Magic
    Years
    I'll say yes for now, but it depends entirely on what it has for offer. Since it'll have SD card compatibility, will this mean we'll be able to take in-game screenshots on games like we can on the wii? if so, this'll be pretty awesome. The whole camera thing seems like a good idea, and downloadables make this seem pretty cool as well. And if there's an update to the wireless compatibility of the DS [I.E. It accepts WPA as well as WEP for your security settings] Then this will be a must-buy for me.

An-chan

Whoops.
    Years
    A PSP rival? PSP is the crappy rival to DS in my opinion :laugh: But that's just because I'm a weird Nintendo fangirl.

Anyway, I won't be buying a DSi because it's region locked. That way I can't take advantage of dollar's bad situation and buy cheap games from the US anymore. I also couldn't buy games from Japan. And what's with the removed GBA slot? Clearly the whole device is an attempt to convert PSPists to DS-people with improved processing powers and even more features that PSP doesn't have.

I love my DS Lite and I'm going to stick with it! Although, it'll be a problem when some new game comes out only on DSi... What'll I do then? Pay several hundred euros just to buy the thing for one game? Luckily, my boyfirend is thinking of buying the thing when it comes out...

Razer302

Three Days Grace - Break
    Years
    I won't be getting a DSi. I lost interest in it as soon as I found out it doesn't have the GBA slot. That to me is a must as I still play some of my older games like Lord of the Rings on GBA. Also with it being region locked means I won't be able to import games early and have to wait ages till the UK gets them. So to me the DSi would be a waste of money as it has nothing that I really need.

Years
    • Seen Mar 26, 2010
    I will be getting one.
    A. I don't have a camera(or aphone for that matter)
    B. I never EVER play on my GBA games and have completed pokedex so no need for migration. No, I don't have guitar hero or rumble pack or whatever either.

And yes Mitchman is, It will be. I've read every word on the internet and magazines about this console and I will be getting one even though it'll probs be about £250.

Mitchman

Banned
    Years
    `Uh actually the DS arcade isnt even known about for most people. Its on a list of DS/Dsi trademars that were found by ngamer. So until light is shed onto to the trademarks its unknown what it is. Anyway forgot bout my Guitar Hero. With that i say nope!

Haza

☆A Life of Pokémon and Beyoncé ☆
    Years
    • Age 32
    • Seen Oct 1, 2021
    Yep. For my Bday or next Christmas when the red one is released.

Years
    I might, I was considering getting a red Lite even though I have a red Phat until this was announced.

If it gets a virtual console like wii and gets G/S/C then its sold.

Years
    • Age 29
    • Seen Mar 4, 2018
    Of course I will purchase it,if I have the money to get it by then,when it's released.

Sydian

fake your death.
    Years
    I'm going to sound like an old crap when I say "No, I'mma stick with my orginal blue DS."

I gots to has mah GBA slot. Gotta, gotta! And if I do choose to udgrade, I'll be getting a black DS Lite. Or some colored DS Lite...I dunno. Maybe not. I'll just steal my sister's. She never plays it anyway.

Fox♠

Banned
    Years
    • Age 33
    • Seen May 16, 2011
    A PSP rival? PSP is the crappy rival to DS in my opinion :laugh: But that's just because I'm a weird Nintendo fangirl.

Anyway, I won't be buying a DSi because it's region locked. That way I can't take advantage of dollar's bad situation and buy cheap games from the US anymore. I also couldn't buy games from Japan. And what's with the removed GBA slot? Clearly the whole device is an attempt to convert PSPists to DS-people with improved processing powers and even more features that PSP doesn't have.

What features would they be? An inconveniently sized memory card and more gimmicky games? I'd rather my PSP remained without those thanks.

DSi is the worst move Nintendo could of made, without a doubt. To blatantly base their "new" (and I use the word lightly) handheld on an already unsuccessful rival is an idiotic choice. Especially when Nintendo charge more than the rival even though the rival handheld has superior technology and a growing fanbase of homebrewers.

And yes Mitchman is, It will be. I've read every word on the internet and magazines about this console and I will be getting one even though it'll probs be about £250.

So it costs roughly double the price of a PSP slim, more than a 360, more than a Wii and nearly as much as PS3 even though it is a haphazardly conceived upgrade?

Last edited:
    Back