• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Windows 10

obZen

Kill Your Heroes
Years
  • Windows 9 at this point should be free (for home users, anyway).
    I don't see a point in buying an OS.
    Apple gives OS X upgrades for free, why not Microsoft?
    Plus, Windows 8 / 8.1 was a HUGE blunder. They damn well better give Windows 9 for free for everyone imo

Years
  • Windows 9 at this point should be free (for home users, anyway).
    I don't see a point in buying an OS.
    Apple gives OS X upgrades for free, why not Microsoft?
    Plus, Windows 8 / 8.1 was a HUGE blunder. They damn well better give Windows 9 for free for everyone imo

Yeah, that was the logic people were saying 9 would be free because 8 and 8.1 are unpopular.

I must be the only person in the world who likes 8.1 lol

Blu·Ray

Manta Ray Pokémon
    Years
  • The talks about Windows 9 being free is pretty much just speculation at this point. From what I've heard even Microsoft might not know whether or not it will be free. If they are going to make it free, they will make it free to upgrade at the very least from 8/8.1, but talks are going around about a possible inclusion of 7 and Vista as well. This does, however, not mean that the operating system will be free. What rumors are saying right now is that the OS will still cost money, which is relevant to system builders and OEMs, but updates will be free, which is relevant to the regular consumer. This will also get more consumers on the latest version, preventing another XP-like situation.

I'm still on Windows 7 because I don't like Windows 8 and don't see any reason to upgrade. Windows 8 is the same as Windows 7 except for the app thing, that's basically all they added and they made it a major pain in the ass to operate your system and get used to it unless you downloaded classic shell. Every new system is the same as the last with a few more features. Windows 9 is gonna be Windows 8 with Windows 9 slapped on it.

I see a lot of reasons to take Windows 8.1 over 7. Primarily we are talking about an easier to run OS, which means more processing power left for applications, faster boot times, and little refinements everywhere.

It might appear to the regular consumer that Windows updates are just slapping new features onto the existing system, but under the hood, stuff is improving vastly.

You might be surprised, but there are actually quite an amount of people who like 8.1. Granted, we're outnumbered by the Windows 8 haters which are numerous out there, but I get it. People don't like change, especially change that looks to be for the worse.I think that users switching from Windows 7 to 9 will see a tremendous improvement of their experience, but those of us on 8.1 will be more like "we've had that for a while now"

Years
  • You might be surprised, but there are actually quite an amount of people who like 8.1. Granted, we're outnumbered by the Windows 8 haters which are numerous out there, but I get it. People don't like change, especially change that looks to be for the worse.I think that users switching from Windows 7 to 9 will see a tremendous improvement of their experience, but those of us on 8.1 will be more like "we've had that for a while now"

I just don't get the hate tbh, I love the fact they dared to change it, I think they could have gone further.

Blu·Ray

Manta Ray Pokémon
    Years
  • I just don't get the hate tbh, I love the fact they dared to change it, I think they could have gone further.

But people don't like change, so the start menu becoming a full screen thing to launch apps which were all new and shiny was a bit too much to handle for some people. Windows 8 had its fair share of issues and various UI inconsistencies, but most of these were fixed with 8.1. Most people who complain about Windows 8 have not used it more than some short sessions. Most of all the issue is one of perception, and Microsoft hopes that the perception will change with a new release in Windows 9.

obZen

Kill Your Heroes
    Years
  • Yeah, that was the logic people were saying 9 would be free because 8 and 8.1 are unpopular.

Between Vista and 8, Microsoft should never force payment for their OSes again
    More so, OS X upgrades are free...
    Also, Linux distributions are free
    I find it ridiculous that Windows even costs a cent at this point

Candy

[img]http://i.imgur.com/snz4bEm.png[/img]
    Years
  • I wish I have a compatitable spec to get this, especially when it's free. :O

But what's with releasing a new OS just a year after the previous? ._.

Also, I might be the only one neutral with Windows 8. Then again, it's not on a desktop. But the lack of a start menu is still annoying. ._.

Years
  • Between Vista and 8, Microsoft should never force payment for their OSes again

I Suspect Microsoft feel they "get away with it" because (they think) a lot of their customers aren't very tech knowledgeable so are unaware or even suspicious of the alternatives, Microsoft also like charging people for services that other companies give free (Xbox live).
    Also from Microsoft's perspective the window's OS is their main product that makes them money. Apple make money selling the hardware so can make the OS free and Lunex is open source.
    But then again maybe with Microsoft's other arms (Xbox, Microsoft tablets and Nokia etc) they could afford windows to be free.

obZen

Kill Your Heroes
    Years
  • I wish I have a compatitable spec to get this, especially when it's free. :O

But what's with releasing a new OS just a year after the previous? ._.

Also, I might be the only one neutral with Windows 8. Then again, it's not on a desktop. But the lack of a start menu is still annoying. ._.

Windows 8 was released in fall 2012, Windows 9 due fall of 2015
    Windows Vista and 7 were also 3 years apart ('06; '09)

They're following their tentative release cycle

Blu·Ray

Manta Ray Pokémon
    Years
  • Between Vista and 8, Microsoft should never force payment for their OSes again

How do they force you to pay for their OS? Microsoft is simply selling their product, and they can't just give it away, because then they wouldn't make any profit.

As for OSX, you state the fact yourself, updates are free. Updates being free and OS's being free are two completely different things. You can't even buy OSX other than getting it with hardware. And since when have OSX updates been free? Since Mavericks in October 2013. That's not even a year. Windows 8.1 is also a free update. Granted, it is more like a service pack than a real OS update, but it holds a lot of vital features and overall improvements compared to Windows 8.

My opinion on the matter is that updating Windows should be free to get regular consumers to the newest version, but the OS itself does not necessarily have to be free, as this is a main source of income for Microsoft and seeing as this expense will not be seen by the regular consumer. You will just get a Windows license included in the system that you buy, which will make you eligible for future OS updates.

obZen

Kill Your Heroes
    Years
  • How do they force you to pay for their OS? Microsoft is simply selling their product, and they can't just give it away, because then they wouldn't make any profit.

As for OSX, you state the fact yourself, updates are free. Updates being free and OS's being free are two completely different things. You can't even buy OSX other than getting it with hardware. And since when have OSX updates been free? Since Mavericks in October 2013. That's not even a year. Windows 8.1 is also a free update. Granted, it is more like a service pack than a real OS update, but it holds a lot of vital features and overall improvements compared to Windows 8.

Microsoft makes $$ off of OEMs, so you have a point there
    OS X gave free updates for 10.8 and 10.9 so far (idr the codenames, I go by version numbers) and 10.10 is gonna be a free upgrade too, so more than a year

My opinion on the matter is that updating Windows should be free to get regular consumers to the newest version, but the OS itself does not necessarily have to be free, as this is a main source of income for Microsoft and seeing as this expense will not be seen by the regular consumer. You will just get a Windows license included in the system that you buy, which will make you eligible for future OS updates.
    Good point. However, what about people who may need to run a VM (web developers who need to use Internet Explorer), or those who need Windows-exclusive program? Also, people who need to dual-boot? Should they really have to pay $200 for an OS?

Necrum

I AM THE REAL SONIC
    Years
    Yeah, why should we pay for an extremely polished product that took 20 years to reach with work by hundreds of people spending hours a day on it with it as their only income? The main reason that OS X is free to update is that you pay for the OS when you buy their computer. They already made money on it. And some Linux distributions can be paid too, you know. Linux is free because it is worked on by people who like to work on it, rather than people who rely on it for a living. Windows will never be free completely because Microsoft is a business. Be as anti corporation as you want, people put a lot of work into Windows and deserve their compensation for it.

But that's not really what this thread is about. I am rather looking forward to Windows 9, though I am not without doubts. Hopefully it will be as good as Windows 7, which I had an easy time moving from XP to.

obZen

Kill Your Heroes
    Years
  • Yeah, why should we pay for an extremely polished product that took 20 years to reach with work by hundreds of people spending hours a day on it with it as their only income? The main reason that OS X is free to update is that you pay for the OS when you buy their computer. They already made money on it. And some Linux distributions can be paid too, you know. Linux is free because it is worked on by people who like to work on it, rather than people who rely on it for a living. Windows will never be free completely because Microsoft is a business. Be as anti corporation as you want, people put a lot of work into Windows and deserve their compensation for it.

But that's not really what this thread is about. I am rather looking forward to Windows 9, though I am not without doubts. Hopefully it will be as good as Windows 7, which I had an easy time moving from XP to.

Ubuntu and Canonical completely beg to differ; they have paid employees
    And yes, some Linux OSes are paid. However, those are almost exclusively Enterprise OSes (RHEL, SLED, etc.)
    Also, Microsoft's main source of income (almost HALF) is commercial licensing, which is akin to an enterprise OS. They only make
    They can easily give Windows to consumers for free (Home Premium), and offer Windows 9 Enterprise with a volume license like they've always done.
    I'm not being anti-corporation, I'm just trying to make a point.

On topic: Windows 7 is the XP of this generation, and Windows 9 will be the 7 of this generation. 7 is a polished off Vista, better all around. 9 will be a polished off, convergent version that Windows 8 was poised to be.
    If it truly is convergent, and it adapts the interface based on hardware, that will be amazing imo
    On the server front, I think they will definitely force convergence (or at least a desktop interface) since a server needs the more old school look, especially when admins have to suddenly adapt to a tablet hybird interface while maintaining a crucial environment

ShinyUmbreon189

VLONE coming soon
    Years
  • I see a lot of reasons to take Windows 8.1 over 7. Primarily we are talking about an easier to run OS, which means more processing power left for applications, faster boot times, and little refinements everywhere.

It might appear to the regular consumer that Windows updates are just slapping new features onto the existing system, but under the hood, stuff is improving vastly.

So you're saying if I were to upgrade my current laptop which is running Win 7 to Win 8 or even 9 when it comes out my i5 processor speed will increase? Not that my processor needs any improvements.

Akiba

[img]http://i.imgur.com/o3RYT4v.png[/img]
    Years
  • So you're saying if I were to upgrade my current laptop which is running Win 7 to Win 8 or even 9 when it comes out my i5 processor speed will increase? Not that my processor needs any improvements.

Yeah, I've noticed that Windows 8.1 is generally faster than Windows 7, in terms of boot times and application speed. Your clock speed won't increase, but that'll seem to be the case because there are fewer kernel operations that are running at any given time for doing something in Windows 8.1 than doing the same thing in Windows 7. That allows for more of your processor to be allocated to whatever you are doing.

(It's basically a halfway upgrade to Linux.)

Years
    • Seen Dec 16, 2022
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-29431412

_77923132_2ce94764-fba6-4599-a6c5-42956aec79ab.jpg

Because apparently windows 9 was too good to exist, Microsoft has announced windows 10. It brings back the Start menu and starts a new initiative of smaller updates rather than one huge update.

What do you think of this? Do you think that you will upgrade from windows 7/8?

Years
    • Seen Dec 16, 2022
    I'll probably make the upgrade. I miss my Start menu. But why not go with the logical choice of 9? Was 8.1 the "Windows 9"? I don't get it.
    I think they were probably inspired with Blackberry 10 (which jumped from os 7 to os 10 in one update, although they're really different beasts)

Years
    • She/Her, It/Its
    • Seen today
    So Micro$oft finally found the Rolling Release train and not only that, they also managed to give native support for multiple workspaces? Well, good for them.

I'll stick to 7, though; at least for now, considering the only reason I'd use Windows is for gaming purposes and that moment when I have to run software that only works on Windows. Also 7 > 2

Back