• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Windows 7

Ayesha

惚け
    Years
    It kinda reminds me of Apple's Mac. I mean they have a little bar at the bottom and all. It's kinda pointless. But I like the name, Vienna. It's a pretty kick name. :D

Gerri Shin

  
    Years
    I've had a blog post up for almost a week on this. The main things that MS has been working on with Windows 7 is reducing the resource footprint, while still maintaining Vista's 'pretty' aesthetics. As well as implementing a way for Windows to boot from VHDs. as for the theme, it's sill a work in progress; but I'm sure it will get better, especially with the superbar.

The resource footprint for 7 is much lower than Vista already. I've been able to run 7 at a pretty decent speed on a single core machine with less than a gig of RAM and it performs just as well as the XP install I have on the same machine. so i that respect MS has done a decent job, now all they need to do is implement a way to mount dvd images from within the OS and not with 3rd party apps.

Ashen

※ あなたを…
    Years
    • Seen Jan 5, 2009
    I'm wondering where you guys are getting Windows 7. Because I'm tempted to use it (even though it's beta) instead of trying to find my WinXP install disc; that is, if it's free from Microsoft. I'm not exactly someone who wants to pirate an OS just to use it. But I looked on the Microsoft website and they said they only gave copies of Windows 7 to the press.

Gerri Shin

  
    Years
    I believe they're hoping to release a beta to developers sometime in december, but it's not for sure yet. either way, I'm really hoping that this version doesn't get prematurely released like Vista. Even though it's only a 'pre-beta' it still shows a lot of potential.

Years
    The resource footprint for 7 is much lower than Vista already. I've been able to run 7 at a pretty decent speed on a single core machine with less than a gig of RAM and it performs just as well as the XP install I have on the same machine. so i that respect MS has done a decent job
    I agree, that is exactly why I may like this as it is a much better performing and updated Vista.

Years
    • Age 32
    • Seen Nov 9, 2021
    Microsoft should have fixed Vista before moving on to a Windows 7, what a stupid decision. The fact that the new deskbar practically copies the KDE Desktop is just shameful and stupid.

I'll stick with my Mac OS X and Ubuntu thanks.

bgt

R A W R
    Years
    • Age 15
    • Seen Jun 21, 2011
    Microsoft should have fixed Vista before moving on to a Windows 7, what a stupid decision. The fact that the new deskbar practically copies the KDE Desktop is just shameful and stupid.

I got a better one. Vista should have never been released in the first place.

It's almost on par with the awesomeness of Windows ME... almost.

Years
    • Age 32
    • Seen Nov 9, 2021
    I got a better one. Vista should have never been released in the first place.

It's almost on par with the awesomeness of Windows ME... almost.

Oh of course XD
    Then again, I'd even go as far to say that Microsoft should have never separated DOS and Windows.
    ( Thinks backs to the days of having his first computer, which was running DOS... )
    Ah, good times :B

Years
    • Seen Jun 14, 2024

Do you mean like, appearance wise, or size? Cause having just activated/unlocked the enhanced taskbar, it's pretty different from what I've seen of KDE aside from the obvious similarities in size and what, dragging. It's actually pretty awesome the way they've utilised it for their own programs, and I hope other programs use it as well in the future.

The Windows 7 Taskbar on the Windows 7 blog.

And my own screenshot.

Also, MSPaint is nice :3

HeavensNightSH

Got Diamond Nov. 20
    Years
    Well, I'm very unsure about this whole windows 7. But I'd like to give this almost beta version a test

EDIT: The link doesn't work now, what's up with that?

Last edited:

Gerri Shin

  
    Years
    What link are you talking about, HeavensNightSH?

I have to agree with Amachi on this one, the 'superbar' on Windows 7 isn't at all much like the KDE bar. I think the only things they have in common are the size, the fat that they both display running programs, and the ability of transparency. however the Win7 bar incorporates those loading/ progress bars into the bar as well as allow you to have a pseudo-stacks shortcut to certain folders. also instead of grouping multiple instances of a program into one button on the taskbar and giving it a number like in XP, they've made it so that the program box shrinks to a quarter of the full size and given it a look of 'stacked' application boxes. I think that looks loads better than just grouping them all in one and sticking a number on it.

Years
    • Seen Jun 14, 2024
    Also, you can make the Win7 taskbar noticeably smaller. Plus by changing how they group you can either show or hide the text.

I just set them to group now, it actually works quite well. Just hover your pointer over the icon and the open windows pop up, allowing you to select which one you want.

Dukey

oh.my.gaskarth.
    Years
    I for one think the taskbar looks good, or it would look good on my mac xD (BootCamp ftw)

Anyways, I suppose its better than installing XP on my Mac...

Ashen

※ あなたを…
    Years
    • Seen Jan 5, 2009
    Install XP anyways. Like I mentioned before, the only plus to Vista/Windows 7 (at least it seems for the latter) is DirectX 10 support. And if you're running a Mac, though I haven't had my experience with BootCamp and virtualization yet (hoping to this week), that's not going to happen anyways.

Not fully counting out Windows 7, but it's not going to be out for another year or so -- use XP in the meantime if you're going to dualboot. Or, more fun yet, use Linux! (... okay, that was partly a joke. But only partly.)

Back