• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Windows 8; What do you think?

SyngthaSuyeon

Specialty: Rare types & UU/NU
Years
  • I skipped dev and I'm typing this on the consumer preview (which I installed today) with my traditional laptop.

It was strange to use a metro interface at first, but I've gotten used to it. Quite painless, though learning the mouse shortcuts (drag the cursor to the bottom right (til you can't see it) to get to the charms; drag it to the bottom left to get to the start menu from "desktop"; to get to another window/program that's open (and right click to close it), use the same shortcut for the start menu on the bottom left and move the cursor directly up past the start peek) took a few minutes. If you have a ton of programs, in metro you can arrange the tiles from the left screen to the right screen by drag-&-drop so the ones you use the most will be right in sight when you go into the menu. The start menu does have a scrollbar so you don't have to rely on hand like swipes with the mouse. You do have to be careful about moving your cursor too fast across the screen in metro or it will be treated like a finger swipe and take you half way to the other side.

Things I'd like to see:

-A metro version of Firefox/Aurora. I don't mind the latest IE, but it's unfair that there's only IE and the apps that come with the preview that's metro-ified (as far as I know since I haven't tested other browsers). Maybe a pipe dream but in fact, a metro version of everything and the ability to seamlessly switch between the two styles if you switch to desktop and want to keep the metro app in view without jumping back and forth (and be able to size the windows in desktop). Currently IE has 2 separate versions of IE9 (and the desktop version takes up more memory usage, like 24-27Mb compared to 4-7Mb) and no, they are not interchangeable. Windows will treat them like separate applications with nothing related to each other. Any customizations you make to metro version won't be in the desktop version and vise versa. They should have made it possible to have one of everything that can adjust in style according to the interface you run it in/switch to. It may seem minor, but it would cut down on possible bloat-ware and disorientation.

-There is a quirk where if you close a windows explorer window (like to get to your user folders) through the task manager, it kills your desktop and you have to restart explorer.exe. They better fix that in the official release. In the mean time, close windows like that through the x button.

Other than those grievances (that have nothing to do with the metro menu itself, merely the integration of styles for applications), it's not bad. Download the 5Mb installer (so you can check your drivers for compatibility). Make yourself a new partition, dual boot, and try it in consumer. It is free and usable until 1/2013 (though by then the real deal will be out), so the only thing you have to lose is the time it takes to download, burn (or load to a 4Gig usb drive), and install.

Archenoth

(cozy)
    Years
  • You guys know you can just switch back to the old interface, right?

Please tell me how... There is no option in the Metro Control panel, and no general interface type settings in the standard control panel.

Edit: Okay... For those curious about Windows 8, but to lazy to download the ISO... I have created a short "Screenshot tour" of Windows 8.

Feel free to comment. :D

Last edited:
    Years
  • I downloaded the customer preview yesterday and I have to say, I absolutely hated it. It just wouldn't cooperate with my laptop. It wouldn't let me change my screen resolution to anything higher than 800x600 so I couldn't use any of the apps that were pre-installed. It removed my boot loader completely and unlike the developers preview it didn't install it's own boot loader so I had to spend ages working out how to get my laptop to boot into windows 7 again. Whenever I moved my cursor over to the right side of the screen it would load up that settings bar thingie because I moved my cursor too far across.
    It's a real shame because I'm completely in love with the style that they've gone with for the GUI, I love the task bar, I love the start up fish thingie, I love the loading circle hell I even loved the default wallpaper. It's just a shame that everything else let it down.

Legendary Silke

[I][B]You like dragons?[/B][/I]
    Years
    • Seen Dec 23, 2021
    I downloaded the customer preview yesterday and I have to say, I absolutely hated it. It just wouldn't cooperate with my laptop. It wouldn't let me change my screen resolution to anything higher than 800x600 so I couldn't use any of the apps that were pre-installed. It removed my boot loader completely and unlike the developers preview it didn't install it's own boot loader so I had to spend ages working out how to get my laptop to boot into windows 7 again. Whenever I moved my cursor over to the right side of the screen it would load up that settings bar thingie because I moved my cursor too far across.
    It's a real shame because I'm completely in love with the style that they've gone with for the GUI, I love the task bar, I love the start up fish thingie, I love the loading circle hell I even loved the default wallpaper. It's just a shame that everything else let it down.

What are your laptop specifications? Hardware that is too old will be missing drivers; seems like you need some updates.from Windows Update, especially for your graphics.

twocows

The not-so-black cat of ill omen
    Years
  • Please tell me how... There is no option in the Metro Control panel, and no general interface type settings in the standard control panel.

Edit: Okay... For those curious about Windows 8, but to lazy to download the ISO... I have created a short "Screenshot tour" of Windows 8.

Feel free to comment. :D
    It's probably not in the preview because Microsoft wants people to test the Metro interface, not the old style interface. However, I'm like 90% certain Microsoft confirmed there would be a fallback option in the final release.

Years
    • Seen Sep 18, 2020
    This isn't an operating system so much as a marketing sprawl.
    I still recall XP being called 2000 with the corners cut off; that trend has continued and we've come to this.

Legendary Silke

[I][B]You like dragons?[/B][/I]
    Years
    • Seen Dec 23, 2021
    This isn't an operating system so much as a marketing sprawl.
    I still recall XP being called 2000 with the corners cut off; that trend has continued and we've come to this.

On the other hand, 2000 really wasn't for regular consumers...

Time will tell whether Windows 8 is like Vista or is like 7 all over again.

Maxzeroedge

Ready for simply anything
    Years
  • I liked Windows 8 for all things except that it doesn't run .NET 3.5 apps
    Otherwise, it looks bulky, but is really fast

Cello

Tonight!
    Years
  • Well, I tried it over the past weekend. I like the idea of Metro, but when using it, i'm just overall disappoint.
    If Windows 8 turns out to lack a lot of bugs, i'll use it, but I probably wont be using Metro. It just seems to be more of a gimmick than it is the next step.

Back