• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Windows 95 turns 20 years old

Meganium

[i]memento mori[/i]
    Years
    are we seriously that old wow

clicky

It was once the go-to Windows OS that has a lot of "new" features back then. The Start Menu was introduced, there was also Network Neighborhood, as well as the introduction to MSN and My Briefcase. Some or all of the features introduced in '95 revolutionized the Windows OS today.

I was in 2nd grade when I used Windows 95 on my projects, I was pretty fascinated.

Discuss! How nostalgic do you feel? If you look at the article I linked, you can view commercials that advertised Windows 95. Yay for walking down memory lane!

Years
    • Seen Feb 9, 2024
    I know I STILL used Windows 95 when I was in high school...as in 2004/2005. My school was kinda lazy when it came to upgrades.

Years
    I got a PC with Windows 95 from a neighbor when I was 8 years old. It was the first computer I've ever owned; my family had a laptop for Word processing, email and the likes, so they let me use it purely for games. My fondest memories with the machine would have to be playing Ski Free, a game that had you play as a skier and avoid obstacles. At the end of the game, a Yeti (or snow monster of some sort) would jump out of nowhere and end your run. To this day I still have no idea if there is even a way to avoid that monster. :P

Years
    I wasn't even a year old yet! I do have fond memories of the Flying Windows screensaver though, and definitely the memorable startup sound that came with the OS.

Years
    Ohhh that startup sound, that definitely takes me back.

I honestly don't remember too much about what I thought of Windows 95. I was more concerned with how well that newer computer that we got that had it installed on there actually ran. :') Since after having a slow computer that ran mostly on DOS (it had Windows 3.1, but that ran sloooow), having a faster computer with Windows 95 was almost godly at the time...

Man, a bit surprising to see how basic it actually looked, though. Guess all the newer, shinier Windows have left me spoiled. Or else it's just been so long since I used 95 that I'd forgotten all about it.

Guest123_x1

I fondly remember Windows 95 and how it revolutionized computing back in its heyday. I was so fascinated by the Start Menu that was introduced with 95 (along with some other features) when I first started using that Windows version waaay back in elementary school.
    I actually have an old Windows 95 desktop, a Compaq Presario from early 1998 (which actually has the OSR2 revision from late 1997), which I got from a then-next-door neighbor back in 2001. I first got Internet access at home using that computer, even though by then, Windows 95 had actually already been out of support for a few months (having been the case since December 31, 2001).
    Even though Windows 95 is long-time obsolete, I still run that old computer occasionally to relive the memories of when it was my regular machine from November 2001-June 2002 (when I finally got a new computer with XP.)

Drayton

Chilled Dude of The Elite Four
    Years
    • He/They/Them
    • Seen Feb 21, 2024
    I watched video about Mircosoft Bob as it discontinued product and have very little purpose it was packed along with 95, Skifree game it was fun as little game besides solitaire and the paint wasn't looking the same as XP, it's more of an old paint, the Wordpad was very early version of Words before Mircosoft goes with office on 95 or 98, Wordpad wasn't much of your word with lots of options and it's just standard and lackluster in customization, windows isn't much tidy as the icon clutter up and there's the sidebar with a a different layout and much dos-ish games for it.

This site will take you down to memory lane and give it a nostalgic rush on your browser.

Wicked3DS

[b]Until the very end.[/b]
    Years
    God, I can't believe it's been this long. I was very young but I remember how cool I thought computers were back then, so this was like the best thing ever to me :P

Years
    • She/Her, It/Its
    • Seen today
    The first PC I got had Win95 installed and a harddrive with incredible 1GB of space. I remember getting it pretty late, after Win2000/Millenium was released and I also remember not having it for too long, because of a thunderstorm ending its life.

Years
    • Seen Feb 4, 2016
    Hadn't it been for my high school, the oldest OS I ever used would've been Windows XP. Luckily, every computer in my high school still had Windows 95 in 2011.
    I'm sure it was a revolutionary OS for its time, but I unfortunately never got to appreciate it during its heyday. I'm afraid I will forever see Win95 as that obsolete OS we were forced to use at school.

Years
    • Seen Aug 31, 2015
    I feel old. The first version of Windows I used was 3.1 and I was about 7 back then.

Mewtwolover

Mewtwo worshiper
    Years
    Windows 95 had good GUI but otherwise it was crappy like every Windows after it.

This funny song describes it pretty well:

Back