• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Windows Geniune Pop Up

Mitchman

Banned
    Years
    So then bad news. My copy of windows has notified Mircosoft and such and lately it had been showing me a pop up. My dad looked into it and well he got all mad. Now we were worried of closing the computer and all cause we didn't want it to happen but it did. My copy if XP isn't legit or so it says. What can I do and will it ultimately brick my computer?

Years
    • Age 34
    • Seen Jul 17, 2012
    I'm not entirely sure what your problem is, but Windows Genuine Advantage is extremely buggy. It can pop-up saying your copy isn't legit, when it really is. That could be what's happening to you.

s0nido

turn up the engine
    Years
    Hahaha. I never touched an apple product before. Seriously now what do I do?

Linux isn't Apple lol. Anyway, just ignore it. It really doesn't do anything; you're just overreacting. It just disables you from putting desktop backgrounds and from using Windows Update or downloading programs from Microsoft. Otherwise, your computer won't be deleted or bricked or anything serious like that.

Mitchman

Banned
    Years
    Oh okay but yeah. So all it will do is just disable me from having a desktop backround and windows updates? Nothing serious like windows being a bit mean to me? Cool I think I can live with that. And uh how do I get rid of that stupid resolve now every time I open my PC XD

Last edited:

Gerri Shin

  
    Years
    If what I read is correct, that you bought that version of Windows XP and it had a Windows Genuine key, then you should be just fine. If you've done any modifications, like allowing custom visual styles to be used, then I would suggest using the system restore function to restore the computer to a state prior to those modifications.

If you haven't done any modifications, and this pops up then you should contact microsoft to see if they can help remedy the situation.

If you did not buy the Windows OS and that version was not originally bundled with that computer, then I would have to say go buy a legitimate OS disc and key and that should remedy the situation.

羨望

のトレーナー
    Years
    So then bad news. My copy of windows has notified Mircosoft and such and lately it had been showing me a pop up. My dad looked into it and well he got all mad. Now we were worried of closing the computer and all cause we didn't want it to happen but it did. My copy if XP isn't legit or so it says. What can I do and will it ultimately brick my computer?

Is probably just Windows Genuine Did not recognize Right away try activating again,the only thing that Microsoft can do to your computer is lock you out of Windows If it is not legit anyway is just a Operating System you could try Linux/GNU if that happens but I highly doubt it.

Glitchfinder

Let's all get along, please?
    Years
    Is probably just Windows Genuine Did not recognize Right away try activating again,the only thing that Microsoft can do to your computer is lock you out of Windows If it is not legit anyway is just a Operating System you could try Linux/GNU if that happens but I highly doubt it.

Do you have any idea what you are talking about? Based on all the floating capitals, which show you didn't care enough to type properly, you probably didn't care enough to do research either. Windows Genuine advantage is microsoft adware that was beta tested in other countries. All it does is check to see if you have a "genuine" copy of any given Microsoft product, and, if not, continuously gives you popups notifying you that you have an illegal copy. It will then go on to tell you how to go about obtaining a legal copy of the software/os. Microsoft will NEVER lock anybody out of their computer, for fear of potential lawsuits, as well as the potential of bugs in the software that could trigger it accidentally.

As to the OP, do you or do you not own a legitimate copy of Windows, with a legitimate key to activate it? If you do, I suggest reactivating your copy of windows, and, if that does not work, calling microsoft tech support to resolve the issue. If you do not own a legitimate copy of the Microsoft product in question, I suggest you make haste to obtain one, preferably at a reasonable price, as it is not adviseable to try to force Genuine Advantage to stop, and I wouldn't recommend trying to bum rush tech support into activating your copy, although many people do that as well.

羨望

のトレーナー
    Years
    Do you have any idea what you are talking about? Based on all the floating capitals, which show you didn't care enough to type properly, you probably didn't care enough to do research either. Windows Genuine advantage is microsoft adware that was beta tested in other countries. All it does is check to see if you have a "genuine" copy of any given Microsoft product, and, if not, continuously gives you popups notifying you that you have an illegal copy. It will then go on to tell you how to go about obtaining a legal copy of the software/os. Microsoft will NEVER lock anybody out of their computer, for fear of potential lawsuits, as well as the potential of bugs in the software that could trigger it accidentally.

As to the OP, do you or do you not own a legitimate copy of Windows, with a legitimate key to activate it? If you do, I suggest reactivating your copy of windows, and, if that does not work, calling microsoft tech support to resolve the issue. If you do not own a legitimate copy of the Microsoft product in question, I suggest you make haste to obtain one, preferably at a reasonable price, as it is not adviseable to try to force Genuine Advantage to stop, and I wouldn't recommend trying to bum rush tech support into activating your copy, although many people do that as well.

Forgive me for my grammar,I was just mentioning that Windows Genuine Advantage may not recognize the Activation Key due to maybe a server went offline or the internet connection.Now about Microsoft locking someone out of Windows,I was just Indicating the worst case scenario,Which I again Doubt it.

twocows

The not-so-black cat of ill omen
    Years
    I'm going to assume you have a legitimate copy of Windows; I recommend if you don't, that you remain quiet about it.

The WGA installer contains the following files:
    legitcheckcontrol.dll
    spmsg.dll
    wgalogon.dll
    spuninst.exe
    wgatray.exe
    (in a folder called "Update")
    wganotify.cat
    updspapi.dll
    update.exe
    update.inf
    update.ver

WGA is a pain to uninstall manually. Luckily, while investigating some of these files, I found an automated uninstallation script (link). I've attached a batch file that should automate the uninstallation process of WGA if you're using Windows XP. I looked through the code myself, and it shouldn't cause any problems for your PC as far as I can tell; still, use it at your own risk.

EDIT: Oh snap, I left out an "n" in "uninst." Oh well, can't fix it now.

Last edited:

as2

Years
    • Seen Oct 15, 2009
    Yay for promoting not doing windows updates... Precisely the reason Conficker managed to get such a stranglehold; using an already patched flaw!
    Avoid Windows Updates is the stupidest thing you can do if you at all value the data on your computer. Don't do it. You make life a pain for every other system administrator out there. Don't do it! :)

Just curious, go into system properties (Right click My Computer) On the general tab have a look for the product ID, what is the string of 3 characters in the middle? OEM, 770, or something else? https://www.mvps.org/marksxp/WindowsXP/prodid.php

If its OEM you can go and moan at the person who sold you the computer and probably trading standards if the copy turns out to be dodgy. If its another code, let us know as it tells us where your copy came from. Retail, MSDN, etc etc

j

:)

twocows

Years
    Yay for promoting not doing windows updates... Precisely the reason Conficker managed to get such a stranglehold; using an already patched flaw!
    Avoid Windows Updates is the stupidest thing you can do if you at all value the data on your computer. Don't do it. You make life a pain for every other system administrator out there. Don't do it! :)

Just curious, go into system properties (Right click My Computer) On the general tab have a look for the product ID, what is the string of 3 characters in the middle? OEM, 770, or something else? https://www.mvps.org/marksxp/WindowsXP/prodid.php

If its OEM you can go and moan at the person who sold you the computer and probably trading standards if the copy turns out to be dodgy. If its another code, let us know as it tells us where your copy came from. Retail, MSDN, etc etc

j

:)
    WGA doesn't patch anything, its sole purpose is to cripple your installation if it thinks it's not genuine; it has absolutely no advantage to the end user, and I strongly recommend nobody install it for security reasons (it sends information about your PC out every two weeks).

Rukario

Banned
    Years
    WGA doesn't patch anything, its sole purpose is to cripple your installation if it thinks it's not genuine; it has absolutely no advantage to the end user, and I strongly recommend nobody install it for security reasons (it sends information about your PC out every two weeks).

Its purpose is to BUG you to buy a legit key and/or disk.. nothing more.

It does not spy on you (although it does compare your os version and key to a master db at M$)

for some updates and downloads from M$ you HAVE to run/install it or else no download for you.

the ONLY solution to the WGA popup is to use only a legit copy of the os.. go buy a key.

twocows

Years
    Its purpose is to BUG you to buy a legit key and/or disk.. nothing more.
    Yes
    It does not spy on you (although it does compare your os version and key to a master db at M$)
    Every two weeks, it sends out this data:

• Computer make and model
    • BIOS checksum.
    • MAC address.
    • A unique number assigned to your computer by the tools (Globally Unique Identifier or GUID)
    • Hard drive serial number.
    • Region and language settings of the operating system.
    • Operating system version.
    • PC BIOS information (make, version, date).
    • PC manufacturer.
    • User locale setting.
    • Validation and installation results.
    • Windows or Office product key.
    • Windows XP product ID.
    Source and source
    for some updates and downloads from M$ you HAVE to run/install it or else no download for you.
    Only optional updates and a few products, like WMP and Windows Defender, none of which are necessary.
    the ONLY solution to the WGA popup is to use only a legit copy of the os.. go buy a key.
    The thing is, many people who get these popups have a legit copy. According to an arstechnica article, 22% of Windows installations were identified as "not genuine," and 90% of those were false positives related to issues that had nothing to do with piracy (for instance, misuse of a vendor OEM license on a non-authorized computer).

Last edited:

twocows

Years
    So wait the more I ignore the more windows gets on my case until they say come to my house with the police or something?
    So far, WGA is the only spyware-type program I know of that Microsoft has widely installed. Just remove it and make sure you don't reinstall it, and you should be fine.

Back