• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Windows, Mac, Or Linux?

Your OS

• Microsoft Windows

Votes: 102 75.0%
  • Apple Mac OSX

Votes: 33 24.3%
  • Linux

Votes: 35 25.7%

• Total voters
    Years
    • Age 31
    • Ohio
    • Seen Jun 6, 2017
    Are you going to use Netbook Remix? Because if that's a 1024x576 screen, you're really going to struggle with the lack of screen space.

I am considering trying Arch Linux soon. It should be a great learning experience, plus I can have things how I want them :D

Yes, it is the Netbook Remix. :3

I put it on, and what a lovely suprise! Wireless does not work, thank you Ubuntu. I then looked up the fixes for it, I found several. All of which, did not work. Thank you, Ubuntu. So now, I have a netbook that has no internet. I am downloading Netbook Remix 9.04, because in it the internet works and not the sound, but I have fixed the sound issue before.

Last edited:

Mewtwolover

Mewtwo worshiper
    Years
    I've used Ubuntu since 2006. I used Win XP before that.

oh, one last thing, for anyone calling it "m$" or micro$oft, that's a really good way to get yourself ignored. it's immature and shows a serious lack of understanding of what ms does/is and how their products actually work.
    :laugh: I've called and I still call it "M$" or "Micro$oft" and I've never got ignored.

Cartmic

Hi there, it's been awhile.
    Years
    I've used Ubuntu since 2006. I used Win XP before that.

:laugh: I've called and I still call it "M$" or "Micro$oft" and I've never got ignored.

People in the niche computing platform I'm apart of used to call it that all the time. All MS cares about is making a profit.

I hate the way American businesses are run, if any one gets in their way they buy them, if someone has unique product they copy it, or again buy them out.

twocows

The not-so-black cat of ill omen
    Years
    People in the niche computing platform I'm apart of used to call it that all the time. All MS cares about is making a profit.

I hate the way American businesses are run, if any one gets in their way they buy them, if someone has unique product they copy it, or again buy them out.
    To be fair, this is all any corporation "cares" about, if even that much can be said. First of all, a corporation isn't a person or even a group of persons, it's a thing. Technicality aside, the people at top care about money because it's their job to care about money. News flash: even Canonical and Red Hat care about money. Just because their way of getting it isn't as annoying and possibly underhanded doesn't mean they don't care about money. If they didn't care about money, they wouldn't be a corporation, American or otherwise (unless your fancy European/Asian/whatever market somehow transcended currency while I wasn't watching).

As for business methods, yes, Microsoft can be a bit pushy; it's how they make their billions. They're pushy because it has worked in the past and because it still works now. Sure they make some dumb decisions from time to time, but that again is true with any large company (especially tech companies, which tend to have non-technical people in managerial positions).

While I wish Microsoft would start doing things differently for ours sakes, I understand why they don't. They've made billions of dollars, and for good reason; they turned computers from a purely business machine into something that much of the world uses in their personal lives. Some might argue that they didn't really invent anything that wasn't already there; I concede that point, because it's irrelevant. They were the ones that brought the technology to market and made it sell (and shine); without them, computers wouldn't be a personal tool even now, unless Apple succeeded in their stead. And if you think Microsoft is an evil corporation, you don't want to know what sort of things Apple would be doing in Microsoft's position (considering their DRM experiments and hardware lockdown, it's a safe assumption to say that they'd be far worse in such a position).

Years
    twocows, that has to be the most enlightened post I've seen in a while. Yes, all companies are out to make money, although the smaller companies are quite lucky that Microsoft is so incompetent, as it gives them a chance to thrive on their faults. If Apple had as much power as Microsoft does, this would be a scary world.

Years
    To update what I may have posted in here, I'm currently trying to install Fedora Linux Core 12 on an 8 GB USB drive for a class I'm taking, in addition to having 3 Microsoft Windows systems.
    Cool idea, but my school removed USBs and CDs from the boot menu of all of the computers and then put bios passwords on them. So unless I feel up to pulling their computers open, I won't be booting Linux on them.

Years
    Cool idea, but my school removed USBs and CDs from the boot menu of all of the computers and then put bios passwords on them. So unless I feel up to pulling their computers open, I won't be booting Linux on them.

My school made it so that most of the desktops reset temp files and settings upon booting up because people were putting unsavory pictures on the desktops and were deleting important files. Things have apparently been set up this way for the past five years.

Years
    • she/her or they/them
    • Seen Apr 4, 2024
    My school made it so that most of the desktops reset temp files and settings upon booting up because people were putting unsavory pictures on the desktops and were deleting important files. Things have apparently been set up this way for the past five years.

My school put BIOS passwords on the USB and CD/DVD entries so I alone could not start up into a 8GB flash drive with OS X on it. I have a feeling that my school IT guy hates me. :P

Back