• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Windows, Mac, or Linux?

Which OS do you prefer?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Winneon

[b][color=#fb0120]しょう[/color][color=#fc6d24]が[/col
Years
  • Windows, Mac, or Linux?

What OS do you prefer? Is it the latest Windows Developer Preview or stable Windows 7, the current Mac OS X Lion, or is it a Linux version? Or, is it an earlier version of one of the 3 OS's? This thread is all about discussing this!

I personally enjoy the latest Mac OS X Lion, but currently I have Windows 7 64-bit.
    51.png

Years
    • Age 28
    • Seen Feb 1, 2016
    Windows because game support and great layout. And Windows is also easy to use.

Linux is good server operating system and you can do evil things with Linux. >:)

Mac is bad. Very hard to use at first time and not good game support.

Last edited:

Yoshikko

the princess has awoken while the prince sleeps on
    Years
    • Seen Apr 27, 2020
    Yah I agree with Xeberos, and I don't like Mac at all.

Years
  • I'm not voting, because I use all of the above for different things. They all have their purpose and I don't think any one is inherently "better" than another.

Please don't make judgements on a particular OS if you haven't used said OS for a reasonable amount of time. That doesn't mean that you tried out a Mac at the Apple Shop or that you booted from a Live Linux Disc. It means you have installed it (or had it pre-installed), configured it and used it as a primary OS for at least a week or so.

Zet

Years
  • I'm not voting, because I use all of the above for different things. They all have their purpose and I don't think any one is inherently "better" than another.

Please don't make judgements on a particular OS if you haven't used said OS for a reasonable amount of time. That doesn't mean that you tried out a Mac at the Apple Shop or that you booted from a Live Linux Disc. It means you have installed it (or had it pre-installed), configured it and used it as a primary OS for at least a week or so.

You make a good point. I should have at least tried OS X for at least a week before voting.

Charicific

PkMn Trainer
    Years
  • To serve my purpose, Windows is simple and easy to use. And most importantly what Xerbos said..."Game support". I never used MAC or Linux but...I have heard good and bad things about them, however, this isn't my point. My point is, Windows is the system for my kind of a user.

quilzel

net start w3svc
    Years
  • I attend a Microsoft I.T. Academy, I'm practically legally obligated to vote for Windows.

I am much more familiar with Windows out of all three. I do like using Linux (Ubuntu Server, and/or Mint) though. I have yet to own a Mac, and there for not very familiar with OSX. My limited used on a friends Macbook Pro left me with mixed feelings. The basic tasks like browsing the web where easy enough. Doing anything else (like configuring the network card) was tiresome and annoying. Perhaps its was simply me not being familiar with the OS, either way I am not a fan.

Cordelia

Banned
    Years
    • Seen Nov 21, 2014
    I use Linux more than I use Windows, since I only run two Linux boxes at home besides my wife's laptop which is Windows. I am forced to use Windows 7 at work.

I use PCLinuxOS KDE edition. =)

Years
    • UK
    • Seen Jan 29, 2013
    Windows. I can't use Macs (and they're hideously over-priced anyway imo) and I tried using Linux once and didn't get very far with it. I'm a "stick to what you know" kind of girl haha. Boring? Maybe. But it means I can work my laptop very well, so I don't mind too much.

Atomic Pirate

I always win.
    Years
  • Definitely Windows. Windows computers can support many different programs, and they are easy to use. Macs are ridiculously overpriced, and they don't even have a freaking right click! They try to hard to be "minimalistic", but they don't try hard enough to make a well-performing computer.

Years
    • she/her or they/them
    • Seen Apr 4, 2024
    Wait, I thought I already posted in this thread. Guess not.

OS X for general computing on a laptop (word processing, media, web browsing, occasional media production), Windows 7 on a desktop and for anything else. I think that OS X is a much better laptop OS than Windows, and in any case it works better on my PC laptops than it does on my custom PC. I'm planning on reinstalling Lion on my PC to see whether my new 560 Ti changes the experience any....

Definitely Windows. Windows computers can support many different programs, and they are easy to use. Macs are ridiculously overpriced, and they don't even have a freaking right click! They try to hard to be "minimalistic", but they don't try hard enough to make a well-performing computer.

As the resident Mac user, I have to say that's wrong. While the software library for Windows overshadows that for OS X by a ridiculous amount, OS X does have a lot of commonly-used applications available for the operating system (unless it's specialized software, in which case that's a valid argument). Also, OS X does have right click, just not in the traditional sense. On a Mac laptop, or a PC laptop running a Hackintosh'd copy of OS X, a two-finger click will do the same thing as a right click. Likewise, on any Apple mouse since 2005 (probably before that), you can toggle the software settings within OS X to enable a right click. Besides, any two-button mouse works in OS X with right-click.

The price point is something I'm not debating, though some might argue that the additional money pays for the quality of the user experience (I have to admit that my MacBook from 2008 has the best trackpad of any laptop I've ever used regardless of the year). However, the hardware is very overpriced for the money, I agree. And minimalism is really something perceived in the eye of the beholder; tweak the OS a little (and yes it's possible to modify OS X) with a custom theme and BAM instant minimalism. My MacBook is a black one, so I modified the theme in OS X to have a black menubar, a large assortment of black desktops, black icons, a black Dock, and a black Google Chrome. It looks pretty sleek when everything is black.

Years
    • Seen Jun 11, 2023
    Asking which os is better than the other is not the right question. Each one has its own pros and cons. The question one should really be asking is which os best fits whatever it is that he/she is doing.

Macs are ridiculously overpriced
    Not really. Macs aren't really sold in two different classes the way Windows computers mostly are. If you purchase business class Windows computers, you will find that they have just as good hardware as Macs and cost just as much.

Wasn't there a thread asking the exact same thing before?

Awkward Squirtle

,@,e .ºoO
    Years
    • Seen Jan 29, 2016
    Not really. Macs aren't really sold in two different classes the way Windows computers mostly are. If you purchase business class Windows computers, you will find that they have just as good hardware as Macs and cost just as much.

Wasn't there a thread asking the exact same thing before?

Yeah really. From Apple's own website, I selected a Mac Pro with similar specs to my PC. It costs £2840 (without a display). Apple's 27" display costs £900 - although it's far better than my 21.5" display, it's the only option you have other than buying an iMac (of which a comparable option costs £1600, albeit with a much worse processor and graphics). My PC cost about £800 (including the screen, speakers etc).

Even when compared to other business-class computers, Macs are still overpriced. I selected a Mac Pro and a business-class Dell PC of roughly similar specs; the Mac cost 50% more than the Dell.

I do like Macs (I have a second-hand Macbook), but you can't argue that they're not overpriced compared to PCs. Mac OS X is a joy to use.

Dawn

[span="font-size:180%;font-weight:900;color:#a568f
    Years
  • Windows most definitely. Though, I have Ubuntu dual booted on all my machines. |D

Chiar

Years
    • Seen May 5, 2014
    One of my first computers was a Mac. I didn't see what's so good about it and hated the lack of game support. I haven't used Linux, so my vote goes to Windows.

Years
    • Seen Jan 14, 2019
    I use windows for games, and Linux for everything else. I honestly don't even know how to turn off a mac, even though I am fairly good with computers.

Back