• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Windows, Mac, or Linux?

Which OS do you prefer?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Years
  • I have to applaud you for your well thought out well written review. However I have to disagree on the Windows side. As an MCTS I know that Windows can be very secure. But as in any security the weakest link is the end user. And unfortunately most people just hop on the computers, never giving a crap about security until it's way too late.

And as for Mac, well I don't think they're very secure, after all they always go first that at PWN 2 Own

Both Mac OS and Windows (although much better in Vista/7) suffer from one main problem that has come from making it "easy" for the end user. They are both modelled in such a way that home users are pushed towards using one single admin account and doing everything in it. Problem. The people most prone to being exploited are the least likely to set up a limited account and work within it.

At least on Mac OS, although not a reflection of the companies themselves, so much as 3rd-party developers, you can usually run in a Standard account without having to worry about software freaking out. Sadly, there's a lot of Windows programs that don't work nicely in these setups. coughsteamcough. The same goes for UAC. Great initiative, but it breaks some programs, through no fault of MS.

Years
  • Could've sworn I'd replied to this...
    I've had quite a bit of experience with windows and Linux. I've had quite a bit of experience with Mac OS but that's only been through schools so it's not exactly relevant because I've only been able to use pre-installed software and not been able to tinker with it or anything.
    From what I've seen with windows its a pretty decent operating system. Sure it has a few downsides such as security issues but I think it's magnified a bit by the number of novice users that refuse to use an antivirus until its too late. Its the beat of of the three when it comes to compatibility but this is more a third party issue.
    As for Linux I think it's the fact that it's freeware that turns people away from it. Because it runs off donations and people working for free it isn't as well known as windows and mac OS because it can't afford to advertise as heavily as the others. Also I find that those who know about it are often frightened by it because the majority of its users mostly use the terminal and can use source files to create applications so new users will think they will need to learn how to do that if they want to use basic applications such as web browsers or instant messengers. It's a shame really because I've found Linux to be most efficient when it comes to operating systems. I've never had to defragmentation my Linux partition simply because it doesn't need to be. I've never had to spend hours looking for multiple printer drivers and I've not once had a problem on a old computer thats outlived it's glory days. 
    As I said earlier I haven't had as much experience with Macs OS so I won't go into it as most perks I can think of are more about the machine it's running on than the actual system. 

In conclusion I'd have to go with Linux. I know the compatibility thing can be a really pain in the backside but things such as the cooperation between the OS and the hardware makes up for it by miles.

Mr Cat Dog

Frasier says it best
    Years
  • For what I use computers for, I've found Mac OS to be the easiest and most pleasant operating system to use. After spending about 10 years with numerous Windows computers that would keep crashing or not loading programs or just freeze up or keep getting viruses, it was refreshing to get a Mac a few years ago which exhibited none of those properties. Maybe I was just lucky, but I'm very happy with my current computer (another Mac). Indeed, the only thing I really miss about Windows is the built-in Solitaire... but now I just have to go online to play instead of to the Desktop. #firstworldproblem, I know!

Pharetra

zzzz
    Years
    • Seen Apr 22, 2024
    I've used all three OS's and I only really like Linux (Ubuntu particularly). I am however using Windows 7 on my desktop and laptop, due to compatibility issues. The appearance of OS X is great, but I think Macs are overpriced.
    I've got a desktop with almost the same specs as a Mac, the only differences being my Hard drive size (mine is twice as big), I've got 2GB DDR3 memory more and I've got a lower resolution monitor. Price difference: More than $400. No-go for me. The OS itself is pretty stable in my opinion, especially compared to Windows.

The main problems I have with Windows are stability issues and terribly low speed.

Linux (Ubuntu specifically) is the opposite of the other OS's. It's stable, fast, looks good, cheap. The only problem are compatibility issues, both with software and hardware.

If Ubuntu would support Adobe Creative Suite, I'd ditch Windows today.

Berry Punch

Permadrunk naughty Pony
    Years
  • I've used several Linux distributions during the last year and I'm sure I'm sticking with it in the future.

I used it the first time after a major hardware meltdown an year ago and was amazed how fast and simple everything worked, even with a crappy Knoppix-Rescue-CD. After that I started to use Mint-Debian regularly and now I'm on Fedora.

The main reason is, I never actually had any use for Windows. I always had bad hardware, never played many games and never used any special/exclusive software. Having less than 4GB RAM slowed Windows down after few hours, you couldn't let it run over few days and it had tons of other disadvantages. Even on Mint, I could let my PC run for over two weeks and it still worked fast like on the first day. Nowadays, all the old games I need work perfectly under WINE and I have everything I need. My only complaint might be the not supported webcam on Skype, but that's just because Skype's Linux version is a bit incomplete.
    Once I get a better PC, I'll leave Win7 on a separate harddrive for some games

I don't really get why anyone would use Mac OS-wise (nothing against the computers themselves, I never used one), it seems like the choices of hard- and software are very limited and many Linux distributions are similarly easy to use and have the same other advantages over Windows. Some of my friends said that Apple-Laptops are very reliable, I can't judge this.

Years
    • Seen Jan 28, 2012
    I am very OS-neutral... I have owned computers that had Mac OSX (10.1-10.5), Windows (3.11-7, excluding NT, ME, and Server), and my main development box runs Linux (Nothing special, just Ubuntu, my favorite distro is either Gentoo or Arch)

I like Windows for it's large quantity of programs and stability, it also manages to let you do an amazing amount of things from the GUI.
    I like Mac OSX for it's simple interface, BSD base (Unix, WOOT!), and it's eye-candy.
    I like Linux for it's developer-friendly and free nature. It also has the most "Macgyver potential". (Also, Compiz > Finder's Eye candy)

If I had to choose, I would have to pick Linux.

SS01

#PoC Collab
    Years
    • Age 32
    • Seen Jul 18, 2016
    [SIZE="a"]Mac all the way. If I could afford it, I'd be posting from a nice MacBook pro.
    Ah, well. I'll have to settle with an iPod touch. Windows is complete bloat ware
    These days. Mac isn't for newbies, but once you know away around a PC, you'll never want to touch one again.
    Linux is good for extra computers not used daily (we have a couple in the basement we don't use much)
    But I wouldn't use it for daily use.[/SIZE]

bobandbill

one more time
    Years
  • Windows. I do not have much issue with viruses, they are cheaper than Macs are (and given what Macs offer just doesn't appeal to me this is a major selling point), and Linux... although neat I am not really a fan on doing everything myself, nor care if that doesn't make me a true computer user or whatnot.

Years
    • Seen Dec 16, 2022
    Windows due to the fact that I've never used any other os. I do like the looks of mac os though.

Years
  • Personally, I would have to go for Mac OSX (Snow Leopard).
    I just find it to be much cleaner and nicer for me personally. I have never had a problem with the OS, unlike Windows.​

Cordelia

Banned
    Years
    • Seen Nov 21, 2014
    I really like the idea of Linux and open source software, but for me in practice, I need Windows. I installed Windows 7 on my laptop and this is my first time running Windows in a year. I have to say, it's nice to be back... I still use a lot of Open Source Software, so it's not like I've completely abandoned the philosophy. I feel a bit like a traitor, but really... Windows is the most widely used and written for... and I know what I'm doing, so I don't plan on having to scrub the malware out of the system like I do for PCs I'm fixing!

Years
    • Seen Mar 12, 2012
    Windows Operating Systems are best for me, Because Windows OS has very user friendly interface.

Years
    • Seen Jan 27, 2014
    Windows is the way to go! With it being compatible with many programs and all...
    I've tried Linux...not bad, actually. A nice user interface...I guess all operating systems are the same to me.

Years
    • Seen Feb 3, 2012
    neutral

I love the ability to hack easily with linux, macs are too damn expensive, i like windows the best. I mean come on, for $2000 i can build a kick ass custom widows 7 ultimate enabled comupter, that could kick any macs butt. Macs overheat too easily and if you wanna try and mod it, even so mach as removing a screw voids your warranty.

BZW Golem

Conspirator~
    Years
  • I use Linux :3
    I won't say that It's better or worse than the other systems, I just like It the best..
    the terminal is really comfortable to use for me and I feel at home with my Linux (Fedora at the moment ;) ).

Years
  • I love the ability to hack easily with linux, macs are too damn expensive, i like windows the best. I mean come on, for $2000 i can build a kick ass custom widows 7 ultimate enabled comupter, that could kick any macs butt. Macs overheat too easily and if you wanna try and mod it, even so mach as removing a screw voids your warranty.

False. You can replace the memory and the HDD without voiding the warranty - same as pretty much any manufacturer. As with any cramped sealed system (see any notebook/AIO), things get warm. Unless problems are caused, it's not overheating, it's just getting warm.

In terms of this $2000 build, while I stopped taking this seriously when I read 7 Ultimate, it's not really relevant. Macs are expensive spec-for-spec, but they don't have a consumer-level desktop PC line. The iMac is an all-in-one and the Mac Pro is workstation-level hardware. It's a different market.

All of the assumptions made in this thread on all 3 sides (I'm not taking one side above others) without the proper knowledge or research are starting to frustrate to me.

Pudz

Incredible Edible Vegetarian
    Years
  • I love the ability to hack easily with linux, macs are too damn expensive, i like windows the best. I mean come on, for $2000 i can build a kick ass custom widows 7 ultimate enabled comupter, that could kick any macs butt. Macs overheat too easily and if you wanna try and mod it, even so mach as removing a screw voids your warranty.
    My iMac has never, ever overheated. Even running WoW while encoding a 1080p video and transferring 300GB of data onto an external HDD, all while listening to iTunes...

Back