• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Windows, Mac, or Linux?

Which OS do you prefer?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Zet

Years

• My iMac has never, ever overheated. Even running WoW while encoding a 1080p video and transferring 300GB of data onto an external HDD, all while listening to iTunes...
    Your CPU must be screaming in agonizing pain when doing all of that at once.

Archenoth

(cozy)
    Years
  • As OS neutral as I am, (I am a cross-platform developer, I don't hate any OS) I would have to say that my preferences lie with Linux... You can do so many cool things with this free OS. It is also ridiculously developer friendly, and the command line is a force to behold if you know how to use it right.

I like doing a lot of stuff myself, so I lean towards Gentoo and Arch Linux... But when I feel lazy and just want to get an easy to use distribution that does everything for me, I'll go with Linux Mint.

Riggir

Banned
    Years
    • Seen Mar 14, 2012
    I don't really have a preference, you could call me OS neutral. I'm using Windows 7 right now.

Cherrim

PSA: Blossom Shower theme is BACK ♥
    Years
  • I can finally answer this question without bias! My roommate got a new MPB and gave me his old one sooo I can talk about OSX in more detail than simply basic impressions from using friends' computers.

And I vastly prefer Windows. The only thing I like about OSX are the gestures (which I now cannot imagine living without on a laptop) but pretty much everything else irks me. I guess it's just because I actually really, really like Windows and I'm so used to it but the layout and general workings of Mac just don't work for me.

I just never liked Linux when I used it so it's not even in the running for me. (Well, Ubuntu, anyway. Haven't tried others.)

Years
  • I have tried all three of them and I prefer Windows 7 for general usage and gaming, But I do prefer Ubuntu for programming.. because i dont have any games on it :p i am always switching between both as i have Ubuntu in a virtual machine.

Years
  • I'm using Windows 7 and I think it's great! I can't really comment on the other 2 because I haver never really used them.

Steven

[i]h e l p[/i]
    Years
  • Windows. I love Ubuntu and Mac as well, but Windows fits all my needs. I love the way it looks, I can play games on it and it's just highly functional in my opinion.

Years
    • Seen Sep 20, 2013
    MAC and Linux and great operating systems. However, for regular users and a gaming person nothing is better than windows :D

Years
    • Seen Aug 25, 2015
    Mac. Its simple to use and Ive never had any issues with it. Windows has crashed so many times when I use it that I never want to use it again.

Archenoth

(cozy)
    Years
  • Oh that's easy!

1) Acquire a network card with it's own individual MAC address. (Aka: Any network card at all)
    2) ???
    3) PROFIT

:V

Years
    • Seen Mar 18, 2012
    I prefer windows. It's a lot easier to use. Also it supports pretty much all programs and games.

blue

gucci
    Years
  • I've had Windows for as long as I've used Computers so I'd think it would take some time to adjust to a switch of OS, I do like the look of Macs and Linux and I would like to try both at one point.

Years
    • Age 26
    • Seen Jul 14, 2021
    I only used Windows, and only used Mac for about 3 hours in school. Heard of Linux, but did not used it before.
    So I guess I will go with Windows?

Iris Mist

Hylian Princess
    Years
  • [SIZE="a"]I haven't had the chance to try Linux yet, but it looks mighty interesting, and if ever I get myself a good pc, I'll be dual booting. My current OS is Windows. And I definitely want a Mac laptop in the future.

Though I must admit my favorite system is MS-Dos. My first computer was a Tandy 1000, and it was the best computer ever! :)[/SIZE]

Archenoth

(cozy)
    Years
  • Awww yeahhh! DOS! I remember making a huge batch file menu to navigate my system using CHOICE.COM and ERRORLEVELs as conditionals. It was great.

If you want to try Linux, you can always try booting a LiveCD of some sort, what that means is that you can boot the CD into the OS without actually installing it. It's pretty nifty. Here is a decent Linux Distro that allows you to do this. (Linux Mint)

Another option is to use software like VMWare Player (Free) to let you use the system in a virtual machine, which is pretty much a program that acts like another computer that you can work with... It's also pretty nifty.

One thing about Linux though, it is not really for everyone, while I rather it, others will still like other things, and that is OK, to each their own, so don't be afraid to try it and say "IT ROCKS!" or "IT SUCKS!". :P

Last edited:

Turn-it

Coordinator/Elite Trainer
    Years
    • Seen Dec 4, 2012
    I used to like windows...well I still do, but the Mac has definitely won me over. Although it's not that good for gaming it still operates well. Plus I don't game on the computer so it suits me just fine.

Iris Mist

Hylian Princess
    Years
  • Awww yeahhh! DOS! I remember making a huge batch file menu to navigate my system using CHOICE.COM and ERRORLEVELs as conditionals. It was great.

If you want to try Linux, you can always try booting a LiveCD of some sort, what that means is that you can boot the CD into the OS without actually installing it. It's pretty nifty. Here is a decent Linux Distro that allows you to do this. (Linux Mint)

Another option is to use software like VMWare Player (Free) to let you use he system in a virtual machine, which is pretty much a program that acts like another computer that you can work with... It's also pretty nifty.

One thing about Linux though, it is not really for everyone, while I rather it, others will still like other things, and that is OK, to each their own, so don't be afraid to try it and say "IT ROCKS!" or "IT SUCKS!". :P

I still miss DOS. I remember hating Windows XP originally simply because I could not boot up in DOS mode.

And thanks for the Linux info. I definitely want to try it out. I did do a lot of research on it, and it definitely sounds interesting. I'll have to check those links out.

Back