• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Windows Phone

Years
  • So anybody here own a Windows Phone? Would anybody be willing to switch to Windows Phone to try it? What are your overall thoughts on Windows Phone?

obZen

Kill Your Heroes
    Years
  • Last October, I was actually seriously considering a Nokia Lumia 1020.
    Had it been the same price as the Nexus 5, I would be on Windows Phone right now.
    I was really intrigued, and most of my apps were avaialble
    However, I opted for the Nexus 5

All in all, I'm really pleased with Android's market share and development, whereas, Microsoft has made some real mistakes with Windows 8 / 8.1
    It's more that I'm not pleased with Microsoft, but I wouldn't consider a Windows Phone anymore
    Plus, there's minimal integration between Microsoft calendar / contacts with Linux distros
    Plus, open source is a + for Android vs. proprietary Windows Phone

I wish Windows Phone had more traction, though
    It had SO much potential...

Meganium

[i]memento mori[/i]
    Years
  • The app variety is what turns me off in regards to the Windows Phone. Although I wouldn't mind giving it a try, really. Heard the graphics and speed are pretty good...and it's more durable in falls than both Android and iPhone.

If I do consider switching, it's going to take some time to get used to the new system! I'm too attached to my iPhone. xD

Altius

Flygon Fan
    Years
  • This is a very interesting question. I am generally open, but I don't think I'll be using a Windows Phone anytime soon. Here's my personal take:

I won't judge Windows Phone based on popularity (Singapore's user base is nearly non-existent), but I'm very content with the devices I own. The iPhone 4 was the first smartphone I've owned and I'm pretty much leaning to Apple devices today because it answers all of my needs well. When you're just that used to something, you won't really feel like changing it.

As for overall thoughts, I just don't really like the look of the OS. I have tested the Lumia phones on display and must admit that performance is decent. However, I really despise the layout of the OS. I'll admit that part of the reason why I bought a MacBook Pro instead of an Asus running Win8 was because of the 'Metro' look. I tried liking it, but it was seriously not my cup of tea. Otherwise, I must say Microsoft had quite a good bit of stuff going for this underrated OS, but there were some key mistakes in execution.

Android has always been an open system, while Apple is clearly opening up more with iOS 8. Windows Phone seems to be the most restricted, sadly.

MKGirlism

3DS and Wii U Game Developer
    Years
  • I always Archive my old Phones, instead of selling/throwing those away.
    That said, I have a Nokia 820 in my Smartphone Archive.

I love Windows Phone, I only hate the fact, that its Battery Life is so damn short!

Years
  • I currently have an iPhone, but I would give a Windows phone a chance. It would probably take me a long time to get used to it, but having an iPhone gets boring after awhile. I like changes n_n

Nathan

Blade of Justice
    Years
  • I had the chance to fiddle around with a Windows Phone (Lumia 520) and I can already say I prefer them overall. I don't really use many apps so that doesn't really matter to me plus the ones I need are on WP as well so yeah :p

Gonna switch to it asap.

Years
  • I have had experience with WP phone this is what I can tell you, in performs they run smoothly( on same level of iphone if not better). I don't know if you have an android but you know no matter how new it is there will always be some sort of lag except maybe for the new HTC ones they are pretty smooth. Apps department is were they lack they are the last place out of the three eco systems (IOS, Android, & Wp). Good news is all the popular apps should be on the market sometimes it is not about quantity it is about quality. Lastly don't hold me to it but WPs are pretty secure closed system unlike android which lets a lot of things slip through the cracks and I am pretty sure you already heard about the icloud hacks.

MKGirlism

Years
  • iCloud is an Apple product, which means OS X, and iOS.
    Lag is one reason to hate Android, the reason why I still went with that, is because of Vodafone Wallet, which not only it takes them more than a half year to put it in the Play Store, instead of Vodafone Updates, it also lacks support for to many Phones.

Meanwhile, I heard that Nokia Lumia 1520 comes with an NFC Wallet pre-installed, but it was to expensive, when I urgently bought a Nexus 5, and Lumia 1520 is way to big for me to properly hold it.

Years
  • iCloud is an Apple product, which means OS X, and iOS.
    Lag is one reason to hate Android, the reason why I still went with that, is because of Vodafone Wallet, which not only it takes them more than a half year to put it in the Play Store, instead of Vodafone Updates, it also lacks support for to many Phones.

Meanwhile, I heard that Nokia Lumia 1520 comes with an NFC Wallet pre-installed, but it was to expensive, when I urgently bought a Nexus 5, and Lumia 1520 is way to big for me to properly hold it.
    Yes I know it is iOS I was actually talking about the recent picture hackings that happened.

Years
  • I currently have an iPhone, but I would give a Windows phone a chance. It would probably take me a long time to get used to it, but having an iPhone gets boring after awhile. I like changes n_n
    This, pretty much. Sometimes I think people just don't give Windows Phone a chance because of the lack of apps, but also maybe the UI as well, which is a shame because I actually like the flat look myself, and considering that iOS 7 (and now Android with Android "L") are more flat than their predecessors' versions UIs. If more people gave WP a chance and tried it, then perhaps more would develop apps for it as well. :/

Shiny Bunnelby

Tolerated, but never celebrated.
    Years
  • I have a Nokia Lumia 1520 and I've gotta say it's my favorite phone. Hands down. WP8.1 is wonderful, it runs very smoothly, I actually really like Live Tiles, the battery life is fantastic and it charges quickly, and Cortana is pretty effin' slick. That said, my only complaint is the lacking apps. It really isn't that bad, either. They simply aren't up to par with Apple or Android, but in time we shall see.

Legendary Silke

[I][B]You like dragons?[/B][/I]
    Years
    • Seen Dec 23, 2021
    *is so totally just waiting for the opportunity to get a Nokia Lumia 930 because that'd be the nicest thing for a Windows Phone (not counting HTC One)*

At least it does what it is supposed to do very well - being a phone. :)

MKGirlism

Years
  • I gave Windows Phone a chance, and only if it wouldn't drain so much Battery, I would stay with Windows Phone forever.
    Battery was my only reason to switch back to Android, and TomTom Navigation, which doesn't work on Android L, anyway.
    Another thing is, that GMail/Google Apps Integration in WP is crappy, like, I just receive an Email on my Phone, while I've read (and possible Deleted) it in the Web Interface long ago!

Legendary Silke

Years
    • Seen Dec 23, 2021
    I gave Windows Phone a chance, and only if it wouldn't drain so much Battery, I would stay with Windows Phone forever.
    Battery was my only reason to switch back to Android, and TomTom Navigation, which doesn't work on Android L, anyway.
    Another thing is, that GMail/Google Apps Integration in WP is crappy, like, I just receive an Email on my Phone, while I've read (and possible Deleted) it in the Web Interface long ago!

Both of these issues should be fixed after updating to 8.1. (Compared to 8.0 GDR3, the final release of 8.1, combined with correct firmware, should be significantly more efficient in terms of battery usage.)

MKGirlism

Years
  • One more thing: Are you able to use NFC Payments, using the Wallet App on Windows Phone 8.1?
    Because that's also an important factor to get a Phone, as more and more shops start to support Contactless Payments.

I have Google Wallet, but it never works in shops, and to verify myself, I need an American ID, which I don't have.
    As for Vodafone Wallet, only very specific Phones 'support' it (ironically, I have a Phone, that's on the list of supported Phones, and yet I can't install/use it).
    And there are no other Contactless Apps in The Netherlands, not counting those Services that require you to put an ugly, thick Sticker on your Phone.

Legendary Silke

Years
    • Seen Dec 23, 2021
    One more thing: Are you able to use NFC Payments, using the Wallet App on Windows Phone 8.1?
    Because that's also an important factor to get a Phone, as more and more shops start to support Contactless Payments.

I have Google Wallet, but it never works in shops, and to verify myself, I need an American ID, which I don't have.
    As for Vodafone Wallet, only very specific Phones 'support' it (ironically, I have a Phone, that's on the list of supported Phones, and yet I can't install/use it).
    And there are no other Contactless Apps in The Netherlands, not counting those Services that require you to put an ugly, thick Sticker on your Phone.

Blame the payment vendor if it doesn't exist on Windows Phone. (It depends on phone hardware and payment vendor support.)

MKGirlism

Years
  • That's not what I was asking.
    I asked, are you able to use NFC Payments, using the Wallet App on Windows Phone 8.1?

Back