• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Windows unable to start up.

Ayano Katagiri

♥ 陳意涵 - 痞子英雄
Years
  • In the past week, I've encountered the problem that my computer (a Compaq Presario 6000) won't start up Windows. When I turn on the power supply, all it does is just stalls and the monitor remains blank. (And I've definitely ruled out monitor problems, so it's not that).

Basically, the computer opens and makes the usual start up noises but doesn't have anything appear on-screen. The hard-drive and CPU is running, but there's no response on screen almost 99% of the time. In those rare occasions I get it to open, it loads and sometimes appears with one of two possiblilties.

1) It starts up into Windows normally, but freezes when I use it for too long and then refuses to open after I turn it off.

2) I get an error message of some sort. The first type was to do with a systems configuration error and about how they were out of place and the possible loss of power to the Real-Time Clock battery. Otherwise, the start up menu where you can select to open in Safe Mode comes up.

I've since replaced the battery on the Motherboard. It worked for a little while, before number 1 occurs. ^

Does anyone have any idea of what could be the problem? I'm thinking it's a hardware problem and I can't really fix that myself... I haven't tried to reinstall Windows yet, due to the amount of data I have to lose if I did do that. Oh, and I'm running Windows XP.

Thanks in advance for any help.

Years
    • Seen Jan 18, 2019
    I'm not a hardware guy for the most part, so I can't offer you very good advice - take what I say with a grain of salt. Have you checked the CPU temperature? It could be overheating, causing the freezes and such.

Jesus Freak Josh

In my mind's eye, I see You...
    Years
  • It'd be awfully crap if it were doing it on startup (Though this is a Compaq we're talking about).

If it's not hardware (particularly temperature) related, I'd suggest trying a system repair using the Win XP disk.

Paranoia

FC: 1375 3660 8982
    Years
    • Age 33
    • Seen Feb 2, 2014
    From what it seems, your only option is to re-format, but I would take Jesus Freak Josh's advice and try a system repair.

And with the loss of data if you were to re-format it, it wouldn't matter, because if you can't already access you basically have already lost it.

Jesus Freak Josh

Years
  • I think he's more hoping that there's a chance to save said data. Particularly if there was something important like a major assignment.

mewthree w/armor

The Stig - PC Site Admin
    Years
  • I'll be honest with you, I think in your cause, talk to your parents about bringing in a professional. Or even go to a best buy is store if you need the data badly.

Ayano Katagiri

♥ 陳意涵 - 痞子英雄
    Years
  • Errgh... finally got online again since posting that.

I'm not a hardware guy for the most part, so I can't offer you very good advice - take what I say with a grain of salt. Have you checked the CPU temperature? It could be overheating, causing the freezes and such.
    We're pretty certain it's not a temperature problem.
    If it's not hardware (particularly temperature) related, I'd suggest trying a system repair using the Win XP disk.
    What's the system repair? I've never actually done anything with the Windows XP disk before.
    From what it seems, your only option is to re-format, but I would take Jesus Freak Josh's advice and try a system repair.

And with the loss of data if you were to re-format it, it wouldn't matter, because if you can't already access you basically have already lost it.
    I think he's more hoping that there's a chance to save said data. Particularly if there was something important like a major assignment.
    It opens on rare occasions. Which means I can still have a chance to burn out all my data onto CDs. After that I have no problem with reinstalling Windows. It's just the first step in getting it to open again that I can't do.
    I'll be honest with you, I think in your cause, talk to your parents about bringing in a professional. Or even go to a best buy is store if you need the data badly.
    We are thinking of taking it into one of the computer shops in town on Wednesday I think. I was hoping someone online had some easy way of fixing it.

fredlocks

150 POSTS!!!!!!!!!
    Years
  • do you haveanother computer that you could swap out the HDD and replace it with yours, that's proably what the computer geek people will do is take out your HDD and copy it over somehow (they don't even have to turn the computer on, either that or they have two HDD including yours) and then they will (if you give them the Windows XP disk) re-install it for you and get the presets bck for you.

Jesus Freak Josh

Years
  • do you haveanother computer that you could swap out the HDD and replace it with yours, that's proably what the computer geek people will do is take out your HDD and copy it over somehow (they don't even have to turn the computer on, either that or they have two HDD including yours) and then they will (if you give them the Windows XP disk) re-install it for you and get the presets bck for you.
    Most will normally check the PC before doing such things since most prefer to diagnose the problem themselves rather than rely on user info (to an extent).

mewthree w/armor

The Stig - PC Site Admin
    Years
  • We are thinking of taking it into one of the computer shops in town on Wednesday I think. I was hoping someone online had some easy way of fixing it.

I basically fix computers as a student worker, and theres just really no easy way to fix most things. Allot of trial and error. Theres been times that I called repairs wrong, thought it was the PSU on the computer, turned out to be the motherboard, one of those things.

Ayano Katagiri

♥ 陳意涵 - 痞子英雄
    Years
  • I basically fix computers as a student worker, and theres just really no easy way to fix most things. Allot of trial and error. Theres been times that I called repairs wrong, thought it was the PSU on the computer, turned out to be the motherboard, one of those things.
    Oh. I see. Well I'll most likely be taking it in tomorrow morning, so I'll find out the problem then hopefully. Thanks for all the help.

Back