• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Windows Vista vs. Windows XP

Snivi

..•.¸¸•´¯`•.¸. ஐ
    Years
    From the horror stories I have heard I think I will stick with XP for a while....but my computer is getting outdated....I mean I do not even have half a gig of RAM. Guess I will upgrade it so I can keep XP.

Years
    • Seen Apr 10, 2010
    To the guy who said that XP was slow and had no search bar - XP runs much faster on my PC, and the search feature is the most annoying in my opinion, because I don't lose much anyway, and when I do, I use a faster method than winXP's search - cygwin's "find /cygdrive/c/ | grep LostFile > somefile && notepad somefile"

I think that XP is the best, especially as it has no built-in DRM, it doesn't treat you as a baby (like vista does, "are you sure that you want to run this program that you clicked on like 6,000,000,000 times? because I don't care, I'm just here to pop up an annoying box telling you you're an admin and asking you if you want to do what you said you wanted to do.")
    XP (like linux) is more for the no-questions-asked approach.
    Compare:
    Clicking installers in XP
    sudo ./install in linux
    Clicking installers, waiting for the box to appear, blocking out every other program, clicking continue, and then it runs - in vista.

I think, though, that each is targeted at a different market. Any serious computer user should get XP, while most computer-illiterate or basic-level computer guys should dabble in the shallow paddling-pool that is vista.

Damn, I miss linux. I'mma get an ethernet card off ebay - because it gives me hell with all ralink drivers.
    ..or you could turn off UAC, and suddenly..no nagging.
    Shallow Paddling-Pool? Really? Geez, I wasn't informed that native IPv6, a wonderful integrated firewall and support for pretty much every piece of hardware on the market (Unlike Linux) meant it was a "Shallow OS". Go figure, I must not have got the memo.

Eureka1

Yay IIDX! :D
    Years
    • Age 33
    • Seen Jan 21, 2023
    Sawaa, that avatar really disturbs me for I know it's actually a guy.

And people are STILL complaining about UAC? That was a hot topic, a year ago.

Years
    • Seen Apr 10, 2010
    Sawaa, that avatar really disturbs me for I know it's actually a guy.

And people are STILL complaining about UAC? That was a hot topic, a year ago.
    But he's such a pretty guy!
    I'd change it to a Shiki avatar, but a dozen people already beat me to it XD

And yeah..people moaning about UAC is so out of season..

Years
    I have a Vista laptop. I hate Vista checking everything but XP is starting to get outdated and everything that's new will have a good chance of coming out on Vista. So I like Vista, but I've tried everything to make it go faster.

Zet

Years
    to make vista run faster, simply take out the harddrive and get a hammer and smash the harddrive to bits, take it to a computer shop and say "can I get a harddrive with XP installed on it already" once you get the harddrive simply put it back into the computer and it shall run faster than ever before...

or a quick google search if you dont have a hammer, as results show this is a quick way

Eureka1

Years
    • Age 33
    • Seen Jan 21, 2023
    to make vista run faster, simply take out the harddrive and get a hammer and smash the harddrive to bits, take it to a computer shop and say "can I get a harddrive with XP installed on it already" once you get the harddrive simply put it back into the computer and it shall run faster than ever before...

Why don't you try USING Vista first. I had this attitude at first, but after I got my Core 2 Duo & 2GB of RAM Vista Service Pack 1 runs as smoothly as XP.

Hell, I've got an ancient Geforce 6800 GT and all games run as good as they do on XP, perhaps better.

Although my main reason for using Vista is Windows Media Center, so I can watch all my anime in bed with my remote.

Gerri Shin

  
    Years
    about two days, but even though thats a short amount of time, it seemed like a long day in hell for me

TBH, Vista is going to be über slow the first couple weeks of use. that's because it uses that time to learn your searching habits for the search feature. (even if you never use it) after that it should speed up a little bit, plus if you put SP1 on it it goes even faster. (though if you're running it in a virtual machine it doesn't matter, it's still slow as heck, that's why I prefer XP there)

Scales

Man of Infinite Jest
    Years
    I have yet to buy a new computer to run Vista. But from the various reviews I have read on the internet I am quite reluctant to install it onto my computer. But since I am planning on buying Bioshock when I get a new computer I am going to install Vista onto it to play all the Games for Vista on it.

Eureka1

Years
    • Age 33
    • Seen Jan 21, 2023
    I have yet to buy a new computer to run Vista. But from the various reviews I have read on the internet I am quite reluctant to install it onto my computer. But since I am planning on buying Bioshock when I get a new computer I am going to install Vista onto it to play all the Games for Vista on it.

facepalm.jpg

You don't actually need Vista for Bioshock. You only need Vista for Halo 2 (unless you get the special XP version somehow), or intend to play with DX10 which no games currently have.

Also Gerri Shin®, Service Pack 1 MAKES Vista for me. Before it my attitude was the same as Aniki's. Although really it was only small things that pissed me off, like the time it took to copy and delete things between drives.

Years
    • Seen Apr 10, 2010
    facepalm.jpg

You don't actually need Vista for Bioshock. You only need Vista for Halo 2 (unless you get the special XP version somehow), or intend to play with DX10 which no games currently have.

Also Gerri Shin®, Service Pack 1 MAKES Vista for me. Before it my attitude was the same as Aniki's. Although really it was only small things that pissed me off, like the time it took to copy and delete things between drives.

No games? Company of Heroes: Opposing Fronts? Crysis? Bioshock? Assassins Creed? Flight Sim X? Hellgate London? Lost Planet? World in Conflict?
    They all support DX10 natively :X

Eureka1

Years
    • Age 33
    • Seen Jan 21, 2023
    No, they're DX9 with DX10 FEATURES.

They're not exclusively DX10, thus they're not really DX10 games.

Cid

Years
    I honestly think XP is better than Vista, even though it is older...
    Why?
    Because of two things:
    1.It's a lot faster.
    2.Most programs don't work on Vista but work on XP.

Tré

Raised by the bastards of 1969
    Years
    well vista is for the new generation pokemons... i mean computers....
    use a vista if you feel your system will carry the risk of vista..
    well i tried upgrading my lappy to a vista and runned to slow...then i scewed up...that's why i got this crap to an outdated crap..
    well xp is good for old computers..
    if your planning to upgrade your xp os to a vista i recommend to buy a new system containing the genuine os of vista with the genuine cd or dvd software...and key..

Last edited:

j_

Years
    • Seen Oct 19, 2008
    I honestly think XP is better than Vista, even though it is older...
    Why?
    Because of two things:
    1.It's a lot faster.
    2.Most programs don't work on Vista but work on XP.

1. XP is gonna be faster on older machines. That's not a valid critisism. It wasn't designed to run on the older hardware that XP was. Vista runs on my machine at a similar speed to XP. So, it's not a "lot" faster.
    2. I (and others) who actually use Vista, find hardly any problems with any programs. There's a couple just like XP had this far into its lifetime, but definately not most!
    I'd suggest actually using Vista before you spout verbatim what you've heard from the internet.

Years
    • Seen Apr 10, 2010
    No, they're DX9 with DX10 FEATURES.

They're not exclusively DX10, thus they're not really DX10 games.
    By your definition, there's no single DX9 or DX8 game, either; most all of todays games have rendering paths that support down to DX7.

Back