• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Windows Vista

Haruka

Pokémon Coordinator
Years
  • If Mac's webserver was that great, it'd be more widely used. It's called Linux and Apache...the best duo out there.

And OpenOffice is not horrible. It's quite workable, although I prefer the eye candy that is Office 2003. Can't wait for 2007.

Actually, Mac OS X's webserver is totally based on Apache... o.O... =p

Cartmic

Hi there, it's been awhile.
    Years
  • Let's see, you've also been using Windows Flip equivalents for a long time too? Your system's had an OS-integrated protection system? You've also had a fast integrated desktop search for years?

Your system's had an OS-integrated protection system?
    Yes, on a ROM chip.

Had a fast integrated desktop search for years?
    Yes, that I dont need to explain the answer is already there.

By the way this OS I talk about is called RISC OS, it was never realy a big thing in the US, so I guess thats why you have never heard of these features before Vista came along.

Navarr

Pokémon Sensei
    Years
  • Actually, Mac OS X's webserver is totally based on Apache... o.O... =p
    What do you mean Based? It is. All Macintosh OS X is; is a a UNIX Distribution based off of FreeBSD with a nice GUI. Macintosh's Web Server IS Apache. Any virus that Linux can get, Macintosh can get too; because its the same gosh-durn operating kernel. Macintosh and Linux are the same; Macintosh just takes complete control and gives the user a better GUI.

Jesus Freak Josh

In my mind's eye, I see You...
    Years
  • Vista is a complete waste of time in my book. My brother had to try several times to get the latest BETA to start, he had to trick it into saving Temp files onto another harddisk and it took up a heap of space for nothing. And that's just the install.
    There's so much useless crap nicely labelled "eye candy" that try to impress the users.

EDIT: There's also the time zone problem in the install. I hope they fix that up for the official release.

Last edited:
    Years
    • Seen Mar 13, 2022
    My rationales are completely rational.

The new laptop I bought before leaving has one of those "Windows Vista Capable" stickers, but I don't think I'd ever try that big of a thing on it. D:

Haruka

Pokémon Coordinator
    Years
  • Alyssa, what's with the valley girl impressions? o_o; That, and did you get a Core Solo/Duo Mac mini? I guess the price tag really did appeal to you.

Windows Vista has quite a hefty requirement, and Aero isn't the friendliest thing around, but it doesn't have any evident resource hogging (I should know. My machine is only a 1.73 GHz Pentium M with only 512 MB of RAM and the Intel GMA 900 which doesn't support Aero). I assume you tried Release Candidate 1?

Core Duo model...

I tried RC1 totally on my Dell Dimension 8400, it sometimes uses alot of CPU power, especially when I totally encode stuff using VirtualDub...

and don't try running a Virtual Machine, it will like totally slow down your computer (unless you have 2GB of RAM). I am not impressed, but it's better than beta 2. I'm not getting it because it's too expensive.

I like totally use my dell for The Sims 2 only.

Last edited:
    Years
    • Seen Mar 13, 2022
    I'd have to say that Macs still don't make as good servers as linux because of security reasons. Yes, they're more invulnerable to viruses, but Linux is pre-programmed to be ultra secured.

Like Mandriva.

Haruka

Pokémon Coordinator
    Years
  • Mac OS X requires authorization before you can totally change critical infomation and also has a built in firewall.

Intel GMA is not meant for gaming... and my Sims 2 games work only on Windows. =p

I'm totally not buying vista for another reason, you can only transfer it to one other machine, which is like so totally unfair. =p

Last edited:
    Years
    • Seen Mar 13, 2022
    Windows has a built in firewall too.

And it's one of the most virus-prone Operating Systems.

Years
    • Seen Mar 13, 2022
    I have Karspersky AntiVirus (or something like that...) and I believe it can block all connections if I need it to.

It also scans everything coming and going from my internet connection real time. I love it <3

System scan time is horrible though, that's the downside to it. It has one of the best reputations around though for catching everything.

DrCoolSanta

Erode away...
    Years
  • You guys could download Vista Transformation Pack, it makes your computer look like vista, pretty much everything is changed with it but It won't give you Vista but yet I prefer having VTP.

Drifblim

Banned
    Years
  • I'd have to say that Macs still don't make as good servers as linux because of security reasons. Yes, they're more invulnerable to viruses, but Linux is pre-programmed to be ultra secured.

Like Mandriva.
    Erm, Mac OS X Server is actually a UNIX system itself, like Linux. So I don't see any real difference.

Years
    • Seen Mar 13, 2022
    The Mac's sidebar?

Personally, I think Windows got it right with the taskbar.

Guest123_x1

Erm, Mac OS X Server is actually a UNIX system itself, like Linux. So I don't see any real difference.
    Maybe OSX's code has been slightly altered-so that it isn't as good a server system than the real UNIX (or Linux).

Back