• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

[Pokémon] Wings Have We

Giratina ♀

what's your sign?
Years
    • Age 27
    • Seen Jul 23, 2013
    Good luck with retrieving the last chapter though... D=

Fortunately, Chapter 19 lives. But there's still a big ol' battle in there, which makes me unhappy. I hate writing battles. |3

Anyways this continues rather strongly still, as I expected, and dare I say the weak point with the descriptions seem to have improved as well gradually. =)

Woohoo!

a Delta Pokemon shows up (based from a card, that Fearow I believe? =/)

Yes, that Fearow was based off a card, but he's definitely not the first Delta Species Pokémon you saw. ;D

and some nice insight into the bad-guys' side of things as well.

Considering my uncanny ability to like the villains more than the heroes, of course I go into detail on my own troupe of baddies. :3

and I wonder how Grant will turn out later down the track, heh.

There's still some stuff to dig up about him, heh heh...

However it seems a bit odd that they waltzed into the base, got beaten, waltzed out... and little else happened to them (besides the 'trackers'). I'm not too sure that I exactly follow what happened with getting beaten, unless it's just normal mechanics that fainted trainers get ignored - but if so maybe point it out a bit more, or clarify some more?

Yeah, that was pretty odd. But considering Grunts only patrol certain areas on the floor, and only see the other parts when they alternate... It's no efficient method, but it's the one they employ. I'd be willing to bet Juan was behind it just to mess with the organization's head...

The battles are good - you're managing the turn-based format with aplomb (and maybe a plum as well) - they're still interesting and entertaining.

Hallelujah. I think battles are very hard. XD
    And it still amuses as well - stuff like 'new-Casey-logic' and the many 4th-wall-breakages are amongst those things. XD

You ought to be used to those by now.

I'm wondering if a comma or ellipse or something should be before the quotation mark, even if there's the risk it might look a little odd with the '~' as it's meant to be there anyways...

Yeah, I use the ~ as another sort of punctuation mark.

XD Sound...unfabulous. =P Speaking of which my online spell-check thinks unfabulous is a word so maybe consider losing the hyphen?

My spell-checker online and on Word says it isn't, and besides, un-fabulous is funnier anyway.
    Presentation-wise - there's an extra line gap between these two paragraphs which shouldn't be there.

That's probably because I copied the chapters from PE2K when that chapter was posted, and they have a ridiculously short post length. That means I had to keep cutting parts out and re-pasting them. Of course, sometimes I get it wrong and forget to correct the paragraphing...
    I'll just say that it's awesome then. =P

It was both an inside joke and a semi-'normal' chapter title, because it was a variation on "Dance Magic Dance".

Maybe 'metaphorical' rather then hypothetical, as a suggestion? *shrugs*

Y'know, I think it's metaphorical. Hrm.

OBJECTION! sorry I had to do thatAlthough on a side note objection is kinda repeated twice there - it's ok, but maybe consider changing the latter (e.g. 'Nobody spoke'.)

The repetition was done on purpose.

TAKE THAT!
    XD Probably the funniest part in these set of chapters, seeing I visualised that very easily. XD

Yeah, those meetings are pretty fun, if only because that certain set of characters doesn't get along well (read: Rodney vs. everyone else).

And again, thank you for the review! =D

Giratina ♀

what's your sign?
    Years
    • Age 27
    • Seen Jul 23, 2013
    I hate writing battles. I hate writing battles. ...Did I mention that I hate writing battles? XD

{19} defeat means unity, not friendship

There had been a private discussion between the three remaining Go-Rock Quads over who was to be going with Casey and company on the rest of their trek. While the four not in on the action loitered around the campsite, they had all scurried into a large (and surprisingly soundproof) tent in order to determine the victim.

Judging from the loud moaning now spilling from that very tent, everyone realized it was going to be Clyde.

This was confirmed when, a few minutes later, the same man climbed out of the tent with a very sour expression on his face. He retained the same frown as he stormed up to Casey.

"Okay, kid," he said. "Here's how it's going to go down. I don't enjoy traveling with a swarm of weaklings, alright? So as the leader of the group, you're gonna pit all of your Pokémon against all of mine. If you beat me, I'll come along on your stupid journey with you or whatever. If you lose, we forget all of this even happened."

"And there's no way to convince you otherwise? Or get the others to go?" he asked.

"If Billy's got his mind set on something it's pretty much final." He put his hands on his hips. "Deal?"

"I suppose so… yeah. Deal."

"Good. We're pretty close to the edge of the woods now, so maybe one of your Pokémon Center things might have an open battlefield out back.."

As the group turned as one and began trekking towards the edge of the forest – with Billy leading the procession, naturally – Tiffany drifted towards the back of the group and tapped Casey on the shoulder. "Hey. Um, I need to tell you a few things about Clyde, okay? It's just so that nothing, um, especially crazy happens when you're around him. He's sort of…um, weird with his quirks and stuff."

Casey looked up. He was initially quite surprised to see a good-looking woman spouting the word 'um' a mile a minute almost directly in his face, but after a second cleared his head and confirmed her intention. "Okay. What about him?"

"Well, there's actually only two things I need to warn you about, but, um, they're pretty serious." Casey nodded as a signal for her to continue. "Okay. Um, first thing is, I just needed to tell you, that he really, um, really hates Garret. So if you do find him you've got to, um, remind Clyde that he needs to get in touch with us. He has our Pokégear numbers, so, um, that shouldn't be too hard."

"Okay," said Casey. "We can do that."

"But, but, um," continued Tiffany. "That's, um, not all, and that's like the least serious, okay? So, um, the next most serious is that he's kind of…" She looked up and made sure Clyde was out of earshot before leaning even closer (unnerving Casey even further in the process) and whispering, "…um, he's kind of lazy."

Casey was about to shout out the last word in surprise, but only the 'L' got out before Tiffany quickly slapped her hand over his mouth with a small squeak. Clyde turned around and shot them both a hostile glare, but a second later he had returned to what he was doing and continued to walk forward while looking at the ground.

"That connects with the last thing, um, see," said Tiffany, now visibly unnerved. "He… um… try not to let him hear, you know, that word. And never, ever, EVER call him that."

"Why? What happens then?"

"Um…" Tiffany looked away. "Omigawd (um), you really don't want to know, but (um) if you do he's definitely not going to be in your good books, and (um) he doesn't react well to being called (um) the L word. I mean it. It's like… it's like… oh, what's that literary thingy that people (um) give book characters when they… um… oh yeah. It's like his berserk button. It's bad. Seriously (um) bad. Okay. So don't call him that."

Still struggling to make sense of her detached speech, Casey said, "Um… okay."

Clyde's prediction had been correct – when they arrived back at Fort Rhion's Pokémon Center, the Joy cheerfully informed them that a battlefield had just been vacated and that they could enter right away.

Casey bowed his head respectfully and said, "Thank you."

Clyde grunted his acceptance.

The Joy was not at all unfazed by these two very different competitors; after all, there were a lot of adults who still held the mindset that their age automatically puts them over younger Trainers. She didn't ask to watch the match; that would be invasion of privacy, and she had Pokémon to attend to anyway. However, she made a mental note to find out how it ended when they left. Despite the friend-to-all-living-things outlook universal to all Joys worth their salt, watching someone get their just desserts was also a sport she didn't mind.

Grant was nominated to be the referee, and he stepped into the field in the appropriate position. "The battle between Clyde Gordon of Wintown and Casey Blair of Calda City will now begin. Trainers, send out your first Pokémon." He took a few steps backward as both of them flung Pokéballs high into the air. Casey didn't look particularly pleased with having to fight who he (sort of) hoped to be his new traveling companion, but Clyde betrayed no facial expression beside that of utmost boredom.

Unsurprisingly, Clyde released his Slakoth first. He didn't bother to initiate any flashy "Pokémon GO!" sequences, but simply took the Pokéball out of its previous residence – his large pocket – and said "Slakoth" while tossing the Pokéball to the ground.

The Pokémon gave a little grunt and pulled itself up onto a four-legged position, almost like a dog.

Casey, on the other hand, released a Pokémon none of his traveling companions had remembered he had – a small blue Pokémon with a wide tail and a giant white circle on its stomach, with a black swirling line in the middle of that. It had two small legs, but no arms, and little beady eyes.

"Poli-wag!" chirped the Water-type in question.

Clyde gave a little smirk. "Oh, come on. You're gonna give me that little blob to fight against? Your funeral, I guess… Slakoth, use Yawn!"

The Pokémon almost immediately opened its mouth and took a huge intake of air, making its small body quiver – and making Poliwag quiver, too. The Pokémon staggered back a bit, but Casey (who could only see the back of its body) didn't quite realize that the Pokémon's eyelids were quickly getting heavier. It was for this reason that he continued to act as if nothing was wrong – and, of course, nobody wanted to yell out the effects of Yawn. (If they did, Tiffany and Billy would definitely shush them.)

"Use Water Gun!" This time, Casey had taken the trouble to learn his Pokémon's attacks beforehand so as not to set up another Larvitar incident.

The Tadpole Pokémon gave a small "wag" of acceptance and took another deep breath, this time returning Slakoth's favor by delivering a steady jet of water directly into his face. The Normal-type gurgled and flailed, falling over in the process, but eventually he dragged himself to another canine position. He did this, apparently, exclusively for the pleasure of watching Poliwag collapse and begin to take very slow breaths. At that point, the reality of Yawn dawned upon Casey.

He scowled. "Oh… Poliwag's asleep, isn't she?"

"Yep," replied Clyde with a smug smile. "I did tell you my Pokémon is capable of beating yours into next week, right?"

"Yeah, maybe if it bothers to," remarked the young man, pointing to Slakoth. He had flopped down from his sitting position until he was laying belly-down on the floor, watching the antics with its head over its outstretched, fuzzy arms.

"Oh, that," said Clyde nonchalantly. "Sure, whatever. It'll respond eventually. Slakoth, whenever you're done loafing, use Scratch."

A few seconds passed as Slakoth scratched itself behind the ear and Poliwag snoozed on, but soon enough the Normal-type returned to puppy position. Almost immediately he began scampering across the dirt-covered field at a speed very unnatural for a Pokémon of his physical determination, and eventually skidded to a halt before Poliwag – sending a spray of dirt into the sleeping Pokémon's face. She merely moaned, as if her mother was waking her up from a particularly nice sleep, and rolled over. Slakoth found much enjoyment in this, and promptly began raking the snoozing Poliwag with its claws. The Pokémon twitched and winced in its sleep, but failed to wake up.

Seeing that the Poliwag had responded, Slakoth gave a sound of satisfaction and plodded to its proper place, where it laid itself down again to watch. Yet again, Poliwag simply snoozed on.

Casey was beginning to get fed up with this. "Poliwag!" he yelled to the Pokémon in question. "It's been four turns, and he's only attacked you for one! This could be easy if we keep ourselves away from that Yawn!"

Much to his surprise, the Pokémon stirred. Poliwag soon pushed herself to her feet, looking around and blinking. "Poli…?"

"Good morning, sunshine," grunted Clyde, staring down the small yellow Pokémon. "Slakoth, she looks a little tired, doesn't she?"

"Slaaaaah."

"Mhm, yeah, I thought so too. You know, I heard Toxic does wonders for groggy minds… Slakoth, be a gentleman. Help her out."

"Slaaah." Slakoth was considerably more pleased with this attack; all that moving and arm-flailing really got tedious. He simply hunkered down on the ground and opened his mouth, letting a rather unsanitary-looking black smoke pour out of its open jaw and zoom towards Poliwag. Before her Trainer could even make a command for her to get out of the line of fire, she began coughing – and breathing in the smoke. Somehow sensing its objective had been completed, the rest of the smog lowered to the ground and eventually disappeared.

When Poliwag breathed, a few purple bubbles spilled out of her mouth and she began another coughing fit.

"Oh, that's not good," said Sheridan, cringing. "If Poliwag is coughing all the time…"

"…She might not be able to move as well," finished Grant bemusedly. "Yeah."

Casey, by now, saw that something was going very wrong in his battle so far. What had Tiffany said? That Clyde was hopelessly lazy? Unless someone else had trained his Pokémon for him and drilled all of the strategies into his head mercilessly, right now he didn't seem to fit the description – the strategies seemed perfectly legitimate (and perfectly useful), and he even went so far as to make degrading comments in the middle of the match.

Poliwag continued to wheeze bubbles. Slakoth shuffled around to find a comfortable position, and simply watched her from there, content with lying in the sunshine in the middle of battle.

Casey put his hands on his hips and thought. If he had Poliwag use Water Gun or Bubblebeam, what would happen to the poison erupting out of her mouth in a bubbly mess? Would it screw up her summoning of water and make the Pokémon choke, or would it mingle in with her Water attacks and make some sort of hybrid Water-Poison attack? As Casey pondered the possible after-effects of using another Water move, Clyde's eyebrows furrowed.

Then he frowned.

Then he shifted his weight.

Then he crossed his arms.

Then he said, "Slakoth, use Scratch."

Slakoth obliged with another "Skaaaaa" and began plodding towards Poliwag again at a rather leisurely pace, taking his sweet time to make a move. He had actually gone ahead and raked Poliwag's swirl-shaped gut again before Casey came to a decision.

"Poliwag, Water Gun."

Poliwag opened its mouth to unleash another small flood of water upon Slakoth, and just as Casey had (sort of) predicted, along came lots of tiny purple droplets with it.

Now, water doesn't cause any pain when it comes in contact with eyes of any variety, including the eyes of Pokémon. Usually all it does is get in the way and make the victim blink a lot, and complain about itchiness and maybe even a little bit of swelling. All in all, nothing too serious.

Unfortunately, though, the same could not be said for poison.

Slakoth backed off, paws over its eyes, and began bawling like a little child. The loud noise caused Poliwag to whimper, but she eventually got over it and stared down the Pokémon.

Slakoth staggered to a halt in his crying, dropped to all four paws, and eventually collapsed. Clyde sighed and returned his Pokémon, pocketing the red-and-white Pokéball like the failure of his Pokémon to defeat the other had simply been a bother to him. He went to reach for another one when, much to all spectators' surprise (this includes the Trainers in the fight), Poliwag took a giant gasp of air and fainted on the spot.

"Poison got to her," said Casey, biting his lip. "Well… good job, Poliwag." Casey tried to ignore how strange that sentence felt coming out of his mouth.

"Poliwag is unable to battle," said Grant in an uncharacteristically firm voice. "On the other hand, so has Slakoth. That leaves the match in a draw! Trainers, send out your next Pokémon."

Both Trainers had recalled their fallen Pokémon, and neither one of them wanted to be the first to follow Grant's instructions.

"Come on," said Clyde impatiently. "Pick someone."

Casey paused for a second before responding: "Not before you do."

"Look, I know who I'm gonna use, alright? So just send out your stupid Pokémon and let's get this over with."

"Fine by me." Casey turned to Rotom, who was hovering next to him and beaming like a crazy person, and gave him a look that implied, 'Get out here'. Rotom understood his expression and floated out onto the field without a word, having Beast rear up and roar ferociously. (Unfortunately, Beast could only make the movements and so Rotom had to do the roaring. It ended up coming out as "Rrooooooooooooorawr!", only serving to make Clyde snicker.)

When the man realized that Casey was actually serious about sending out Rotom, he rolled his eyes and released another Pokémon. It was somewhat like Slakoth, but stood on two legs and bore white fur. The most important difference, though, was that it was quickly hopping from foot to foot as if it was preparing to fight even then.

"Meet Vigoroth," said Clyde with a wave of his hand. "I think you'll find him much, much worse."

Vigoroth shot his opponent a toothy grin.

"I'd be right in assuming he's not—" Casey stopped himself halfway through the sentence, remembering Clyde's mysterious but distinctly bad reaction to the word 'lazy'. "...assuming he's not going to lie around so much in the middle of the fight, right?"

"Yes you would," said Clyde. "Brick Break!"

Vigoroth immediately dived for Rotom, bearing a speed none of the opposition had expected, and promptly began a barrage of punches. Rotom was squealing in pain almost immediately, but Vigoroth paid it no mind and only hopped away after Rotom had been slammed once with each fist. He had hardly returned to his battling position when Casey's command made itself present:

"Thundershock!"

Rotom gave a little grin and let Beast perform another of his mute roars before charging up a considerable amount of electrical energy. Once that had been accomplished, Beast's jaws opened and fired the stream of electricity directly at Vigoroth. The Pokémon in question gave a booming laugh and promptly leaped out of the way, landing on all fours and quickly returning to a two-footed stance.

A few of the onlookers bit their lips, Go-Rock Quad or not.

"And again." Vigoroth leaped in again, dropping to all fours in order to scramble towards Rotom but quickly springing up into the air. This time around, he could only get in one punch before the Wild Monkey Pokémon received a faceful of Beast and sprang back in surprise. While it wasn't exactly an Astonish attack, the toothy and glowing jaw of a not-quite-canine head was certainly good at making the Pokémon retreat.

Vigoroth hopped back to its position with a yowl – and then another yowl. For, you see, Vigoroth had just realized that he was being surrounded by glowing balls of electricity, sending thin streams of the same sort of energy between them. The wads of energy then proceeded to get slowly closer to him. The Pokémon looked around for help and then jumped up in the air, finding no other way to avoid the Thunder Wave. However, that too was in vain; the fence of electricity moved with him and eventually consumed the Pokémon, leaving jolts of electricity to flicker across the wild fur and its owner to moan in pain.

Vigoroth got over it quickly, though. Upon its Trainer's request, the Wild Monkey Pokémon screeched and hopped towards Rotom again – it was running on three legs, with the fourth held high in the air. Truth be told, the entire thing looked pretty strange until you took into account the fact that Vigoroth was using Fury Swipes and brought that high-held claw down on Rotom's body with a roar of triumph.

Rotom smiled widely as the claw passed right through him.

"What the…" Clyde spluttered. "What on Earth did you do?"

Casey shrugged. "I don't know."

Clyde scowled at his opponent's lack of knowledge, while Sheridan had descended into a giggle fit. She could be vaguely heard gasping the word "Immunities!" between bouts of laughter.

Clyde rolled his eyes and said, "Whatever. Vigoroth, just use… just use Brick Break or something."

His Pokémon didn't attack, but instead turned around and gave his Trainer a look that practically screamed "I am very disappointed in you". Of course, this unexpected act of humanity in a Pokémon character was promptly cut short from another Thundershock, courtesy of Rotom.

Vigoroth swiveled back around and immediately bounded in for more Fury Swipes, but this time Rotom simply giggled and levitated out of the way. The white Pokémon was now at the stage where it would be snorting steam out of its nostrils – Vigoroth was just that angry. And it showed as the Pokémon began jumping up and down, screeching angrily and shaking its fists up at the floating form of Rotom. (Caro scowled.)

Rotom seemed insistent on staying up there, so Clyde rolled his eyes. "Your idiot Pokémon just made this an awful lot harder," he told Casey with the tone of someone completely missing the point of a Pokémon battle. Which he was. "Vigoroth, use Uproar!"

Vigoroth immediately set to work carrying out its Trainer's command, doing so by stomping its feet and waving its arms in a sporadic little dance and screaming like a maniac. Casey took a step back, covering his ears. 'How on Earth is that… that noise an actual move?!?'

Regardless of how Uproar got into the ranks of Pokémon moves, Vigoroth used it, and with a yell Rotom's presence up in the air faltered. Casey could see that Rotom wouldn't stay up there much longer, despite the fact that he had managed to keep himself levitating up until this point, and decided to make good use of the opportunity while it presented itself. "Rotom, use Thundersho—"

"VIGAAAAAAA! VIGAAAAAARAAAAAAROOOOOOOOOOOOTH! VIGARAAAAAHRARRRRRARRRRRARRRRRR~!"

Sheridan blinked and said, "Oh dear."

Before Rotom could make a movement, Vigoroth continued on its one-man rampage on everyone else's eardrums. With the combined pressure of charging a Thunderbolt and trying to ignore Vigoroth's Jigglypuff impersonation (though it wasn't doing any damage, Rotom could still hear it), the Ghost-type simply stopped floating. Casey realized exactly what would happen to Rotom's metal coating were it to hit the ground at its current speed, and shoved his hand in the side pocket of his backpack in a frantic search for Rotom's Pokéball.

He realized exactly where Rotom's Pokéball was as the creature hit the ground with a stomach-lurching crunch.

The red glow surrounding Rotom dimmed until it was barely visible, and Beast was sucked back into the core.

"Oh," said Casey. "Um… should I carry him?"

"Return him to his Pokéball, stupid."

"I can't do that!" retorted Casey, clenching his fists and very much wishing he hadn't gotten into this battle with Clyde at all. "His Pokéball…" The boy suddenly realized that there was no easy way for him to explain just what caused Rotom to turn into its current form, and he simply settled with an immensely pathetic "…can't actually be used right now."

Clyde rolled his eyes. "Well, toss him up in the air for all I care. If you were stupid enough to make his Pokéball malfunction, then there's—"

"Be quiet, will you?" snapped Casey as he trudged onto the battlefield, scooping up Rotom. "I didn't do anything to Rotom's Pokéball. If you had noticed the shape it's been taking this entire time then maybe you would have bothered to…"

"Trainers!"

Grant stopped the argument with great speed. Neither of them were actually aware his voice was even capable of reaching this level of intensity.

Clyde put his hands in his pockets. "Whatever."

Casey shot him a warning look and then sent out yet another Pokémon, this one being the small green dragon known to many as Larvitar. His Trainer wasted no time in commanding the Pokémon to use Rock Slide, for which it happily obliged. The Pokémon put its claws to the ground, ripping out two disproportionately large boulders in each hand, and flung them at Vigoroth.

Unfortunately, Vigoroth was in the middle of running towards Larvitar with Fury Swipes at the time, and failed to notice. For that reason, the already severely winded Vigoroth got a faceful of boulder.

It dropped on the spot.

There were a few beats of silence, then…

"Vigoroth is unable to battle! Clyde, do you have another Pokémon?"

The man shook his head numbly.

"In that case, victory goes to Casey." He gestured towards the young man with his hand. "The match is over, and due to the bargain set at the beginning of the match, Clyde now has to come along with us." He walked out of the battlefield and took the long way around, eventually passing the others (who were sitting on benches constructed to hold onlookers) and stopping to stand behind them. "My work here is done."

Clyde mumbled a few words that would make Honchkrow blush and returned his Pokémon.

Giratina ♀

what's your sign?
    Years
    • Age 27
    • Seen Jul 23, 2013
    Okay.

So, a few days ago, my laptop got slammed with a virus.

The good news is, my computer has come out of it unharmed, and my file for Chapter 20 is perfectly fine. But the bad news is, it hit when I only had three pages' worth of chapter, about a third of my usual length. For that reason, it's going to take even longer for the chapter to be up. But because I know you've all been waiting for a long time, and because I had a part of the chapter that... really didn't fit, I've made a prologue for Delta Species. It's on the first page, but for those of you who don't want to bother:
    {0} the beast of the sky stirs

Somewhere out in the vast reaches of space, a levitating red Pokémon was attacking empty air.

Well, at least, it looked like empty air. What this Pokémon was clearly aware of was that there was really something there – it was a sort of force field, a barrier designed to prevent that very same red creature from entering the range of the funny blue-and-white planet down below. And yes, the red monster with multicolored tentacles and a jewel in its chest certainly wanted to be there! Even though it had no idea what 'there' was called, he was receiving distress calls from fellow members of his species, and that was reason enough to go down and save them.

What this torn Pokémon did not know was that the distress calls from his comrades were not distress calls from his comrades at all. Instead, they were the (mostly) harmless byproduct of a machine so enormous it required a room the size of the average school gymnasium to house. This machine was referenced by its owners and creators as merely "The D-Cannon" (give or take a few 'mrrrrr's), and its existence was very much unknown, even to those who lived in relatively close proximity and who saw the results of its existence every day of their lives.

Where The D-Cannon was located, it was causing no harm. The D-Cannon and its immense housing made their home inside what seemed to be an obnoxiously large tower, out in the middle of the desert within an area with no other traces of life for miles and miles every way around. Indeed, even the usual Trapinch and Cacturne who tended to dwell around these rough areas weren't present.

Those stupid enough to venture into the desert and find The Cannon's holding area were simply told that it was nothing they should be concerned with and were booted out into the sand-coated wilderness (but not before a meal and good night's sleep – what desert-dwelling building owner would deny that to idiotic travelers?).

This couldn't be further from the truth.

For what those morons were not informed of was that the absolute worst calamity to ever occur in that particular Region could be blamed upon the scary big building in the desert. When the building absolutely had to be brought up, people would insist that "Oh, it's just an old government building. You know the government officials – always making things and not using them." The belief was held.

But, then again, these people weren't exactly known for their independent mindsets.

Giratina ♀

what's your sign?
    Years
    • Age 27
    • Seen Jul 23, 2013
    {20} i am a passerby
    (Finally!)

Night had come, and the traveling party (now upped to five) had found themselves struggling to sleep. As a group, though, their minds were all on very different things.

Clyde, whose eyes typically closed the moment he touched the bedsheets, was staring at the small fragments of moonlight coming in from the Pokémon Center window. Sheridan was sitting up in bed, holding a discussion with a very mysterious Mime Jr. with a yellow headdress. This Mime Jr., amazingly, was holding up her end of the conversation in perfectly legible English; there was lots of squealing. Casey was trying to take every possible viewpoint on what torment the looming Gym battle would hand him. Caro was lying in bed silently; he seemed to have recovered from the uncomfortable resurfacing of water under the bridge that had occurred a few days ago, and his thoughts were now on that funny briefcase Grant did a great job of losing. The ex-Grunt himself was the only one even close to falling asleep.

His dreams were fitful.

Black.

…Really. All there is around me is black. I must be dreaming.

This is a dream, right? I am able to watch all of this going on, and I'm also able to see that yes, this IS black all around me, but I don't know anything else. Nothing is moving – I feel detached. So it must be…

Wait.

What's that?

In the center there?

I see something.

It's… fading in, and floating. Like a ghost. It's small and grayish-blue, with oversized eyes and dangling arms. There's a wispy thing coming off of its head, like a Drifloon's cloud. And then… attached to its tail… is that… a lock?

Yes. A lock. There's a padlock attached to the ghost's ringed tail. That's… a little strange.

And ah, hold on. It's multiplying. The same lock-tailed ghost monster is appearing in all sorts of different places, quickly filling up and blotting out any traces of black that had been left behind. The things were also giving off a convenient soft glowing, meaning that I could no longer see anything except floating ghosts and lights. Eventually, one of them – the first one to appear – stepped forward. When its mouth opened, so did all the other mouths, and they spoke as one.

(I noticed with a jolt that the area inside their mouths was pitch black.)

"WE ARE THE KARMADA."

The tone was deafening, frankly – so many things speaking at once, even though their voices were relatively low, accumulated and rose to a freakishly loud pitch.

"Um, hi." I realized a second later that it was an utterly stupid thing to say to this bunch of floating lightbulbs, but there was really no choice in the matter. After all, dreams cannot be controlled very easily. The Karmada didn't seem to take too badly to this response, for there was no cacophony of screaming a few seconds after that. There was only the voices' chanting.

"WE ARE INSIDE YOUR MIND."

"Okay."

Well, what else was there to say?

"WE ARE LOOKING FOR SOMETHING."

"And what are you looking for?"

"…SOMETHING."

"Oh. I don't mean to be rude, but you're all sort of creeping me out, so if there's anything I can help you with…"

"OH, NO, YOUR ASSISTANCE IS NOT REQUIRED."

"So why are you here?" These Karmada were a handful to follow, even if they weren't speaking strangely.

"WE SIMPLY WANTED TO INFORM YOU. THERE MAY BE… SIDE EFFECTS."

"What kind of side effects?"

"WE DON'T KNOW. BUT THERE WILL BE SOME."

"Alright… um, thank you for letting me know."

"OUR PLEASURE."

I looked around, seeing only the eyes boring back into my head. "So… why are you inside my mind, then?"

"WE WERE TOLD TO," said the Karmada matter-of-factly.

"By who?"

"WE CAN'T TELL YOU THAT."

"Has the person forbidden you from telling me?"

"NO," replied the Karmada. "WE REALLY DON'T KNOW WHO TOLD US TO DO IT."

"But someone did?"

"YES. GOODBYE FOR NOW, GRANT STERNBERG. YOU ARE NEVER WITHOUT US. AS WE ARE NEVER WITHOUT YOU. UNTIL WE FIND WHAT WE ARE LOOKING FOR, THIS PRINCIPLE WILL HOLD TRUE."

Then I woke up.

Everyone stared in surprise as, the next morning, Sheridan stepped out of her room with a tiny pink Pokémon curled in her arms. (Grant, especially, seemed startled by this – though he calmed down quickly once he got a better look.) It had a giant red nose and a similarly-colored dot on its stomach, as well as a fuzzy mess of fur that seemed to curl out like a skirt near the Pokémon's feet. Indeed, if its head had a blue swirly thing on top of it, it would have been a Mime Jr.

Instead, the swirly thing was yellow.

"Guys," said Sheridan happily, "this is Saffron. She's my sister."

Due to the fact that it was really quite early in the morning, everyone's reaction time was a little delayed, but they all eventually heard what she had said and looked between human and Pokémon in utter confusion.

"Oh, pleeease," sniffed Saffron. "Don't look at me like that!"

Except for Caro, who was one of the people not quite used to waking up early and therefore was unable to realize what the Mime Jr. had just said, everyone's expressions got even more confused. There was a general cacophony that ensued, before Sheridan (with the glaring help of a few young Trainers from the next room) was able to silence everyone.

"Come on, you guys," she said after they had quieted. "I can explain, I promise. And I'll do it – but outside." There was a moan of acceptance as everyone – still in their half-awake states – turned around and went down the stairs, Sheridan and Saffron jabbering in their wake.

"So let me get this straight," said Casey dubiously after the two had concluded their tale. "This Mime Jr. used to be human, and she's your sister. Then somebody kidnapped her and knocked her out, and when she woke up she was a little pink Pokémon? And then she got sold to someone who apparently owned one of those festival stalls, where she got sold back to Sheridan?"

"You say that like you don't believe me," pouted Saffron.

"No," he said. "I don't know if I believe you. But it sure is a lucky coincidence."

"That still doesn't explain why she can talk," pointed out Grant.

Caro raised his hand; he, as one of the few members of the group who had experience in switching bodies, stepped in. "You remember why I can talk to Pokémon? 'Cause I was a Raichu. And Mime Juniors must have pretty similar vocal capabilities to humans or something, because she remembered how to speak English, and now lo and behold she's a little Pokémon and still doing it!"

Clyde just watched, utterly confused.

"There's… a box."

Casey had finally gotten around to insisting to everyone else that yes, he did need – but not necessarily want, of course – to get this Gym Badge, and they were right now standing inside the first room of the Rhoter Gym. Indeed, attached to the wall fuse-box style was a metal box with a few wires and metal rods inside it, and on top of that box was a pair of rubber gloves. The rods were attached to the wall in various positions on the right-hand side, whereas the wires came out on corresponding places on the left.

"What are we supposed to do with this?" asked Clyde.

"I guess we have to… um…" Casey stared from the metal box to the rather secure-looking sliding door next to it. "Well, I don't know. But I think it might have something to do with moving on."

"Yeah, like there's a current coming from here…" Caro pointed to the left side of the fuse box. "…and if we can connect it right then the current would go along here…" He moved his arm in time with the movements, eventually stopping at the door. "…then it might trigger something over here!"

There was silence for a few heartbeats.

"That's actually not a bad idea," noted Sheridan.

Casey pulled off his own gloves and donned the silly-looking, but quite protective, rubber ones. "Since we have no other leads, I think that's the best we can do." With that, he picked up one of the wires carefully and pinched the metal tongs on the end of it, attaching the wire to the metal rod directly opposite it. After he had done this three times in total, everyone turned to watch the door.

There was a buzzer sound – 'Wrong'.

"Doesn't look like it helped," observed Clyde intelligently.

"Hold on a minute…" Caro applied force to Casey's shoulder, effectively making him stumble out of the way. "So what's the point of this big black X scribbled onto the yellow wire?" He reached out towards the wire in question and unclasped it.

Casey found his balance again and reached for the yellow wire. "Let me see."

"No, no!" replied Caro. "I almost got it." He kneeled down so that he could stare into the box better, and finally reached one arm in. "If I'm right, then there's got to be another wire in this box to connect. Because the X stands for something to be left out, right?"

"It could mean that it's the only one to be left in," offered Sheridan dubiously. "Or it could mean that it needs to be…"

"Shush!"

Sheridan blinked as Caro peered into the box, reached in, and made a triumphant 'Aha!' as he apparently found something. Caro stood up and slowly brought his arm back into the light room, away from the inky darkness of the back of the box. He had something in his hand, and everyone craned their necks or peered closer at it.

It was a wire, longer than the others, curled up at the back. And it was…

"But that wire is black!" protested Casey. "That's a dirty trick…"

Indeed, it was a black wire. It had been coiled up tightly, tied together, and shoved unceremoniously in the darkest part of the metal box. It was obviously designed to blend in perfectly with the box's walls due to a lack of light. Caro plugged the sneaky wire into the port where the yellow wire had just been, and with a pleasant chirping noise the door promptly opened.

"Yes, well," said Sheridan. "I guess the Gym Leader likes dirty tricks now. Back when I came through it was just an easy maze. As a matter of fact…"

Sheridan then realized that she was alone, and scrambled through the door.

Casey stopped cold in the next room, and everyone else followed suit.

Because, right in the center of the room, was what could only be described as a scrap-metal throne. It had obviously been formed into the very rough shape of a chair from other metals of various kinds, and sitting atop it (in what must be the most uncomfortable seat ever) was who could only be the Gym Leader. He had his blue beanie cap pulled far over his face, sending his eyes into perpetual shadow.

"Hey." He jumped down from the junkheap and onto the ground with remarkable ease, letting his orange jacket flap around as he did so. Everyone watched him move with varying amounts of interest (save for Sheridan, who seemed to be looking at him curiously). "Y'here for a Gym match?"

"Yes." Casey's tone did not betray his unease.

"Oh, 'kay." Casey took a breath of relief, happy that he was going to get this done with at last, but it died in his throat at the man's next words: "Then you'd better be coming back, like… next week or sumthin'."

"Next week?" he muttered. "No way! I can't stay here any longer… we've been too distracted as it is." He raised his voice so that the Gym Leader could hear the next question: "What's so bad that you've got to stop taking challenges anyway?"

"Oh, well." He sighed. "M'dudes ran away."

"All of them?" asked Grant.

"No, just one, but he's my main dude, and my other dudes aren't really all that strong. And the PIA would have my head if they found out that my main Pokémon is lost somewhere in the city – and they hate all of us Holon Leaders' guts anyway – so I've been trying to find him."

"You didn't look like you were looking for your Pokémon," grumbled Clyde.

"So, until I find my dude, I can't just let you slide past by beating my other dudes, so…" he paused for a moment, apparently deep in thought. "Oh! Wait a minute, man! I got an idea that can work out for both of us!" He shot a crooked, admittedly sleazy-looking grin at Casey. "See, you're here for a Gym Badge fast, aren't you? And I'm down a dude, and really not in the mood for a battle right now. So if you can go out and find and defeat my dude, then I can come over to wherever you are and give you a Gym Badge because we can say it was… um, a one on one battle or something. Except, you know, all of my other Pokémon happened to have fainted and stuff."

Casey's head whirled just trying to get past his lingo, much less understand what the man was saying. Finally, he had sorted it all out in his brain, and as usual he had a question.

"How will you know where I am?"

"Y'have a JAWS, right?"

"Yeah." Casey took it out of his backpack and held it up. "What about it?"

"It's just like a PokéGear, man. You can use it like any old cell phone, as long as you got the other guy's number. Here, lemme see it." Stathis held out his hand expectantly, obviously wanting to take the machine. Casey handed it over slowly and dubiously, and watched in confusion as he almost immediately started poking around on the interface. After a few minutes in which the only sounds was the Gym Leader's button-mashing, Casey was holding his JAWS once again and blinking confusedly down at the screen. The considerably taller redhead slid over to peer over his shoulder, pointing to prove a point.

"See, dude? You just gotta press this button here on the main screen and then select my name with the center button – that's Stathis, duh, I'm the only one on there – and then y'hold it up to your ear like any old cell phone." He stood back. "Cool, huh?"

"Oh," he replied. "Um… thanks. Guys, I guess we should be going no—"

"Excuse me for interrupting," said Sheridan with a bemused tone, "but I have a question."

"You do? 'Kay. Shoot, babe."

Sheridan scowled at the way Stathis had referenced her, but made no mention of it and instead made a much more sensible response. "What species is this Pokémon of yours?"

Stathis faltered. "Oh." He took a slouching position, mouth set into a thoughtful frown. "You know, that's a good question. I don't actually know. But it's a Pokémon, you know, with four legs. Mostly red fur, like its whole body is red, you know, but over that there's lots of yellow fur all over it too."

'That's helpful,' thought Casey miserably as the group nodded, gave a few mumbled comments to Stathis, and set out through the wire-infused maze. They soon arrived outside and began looking for Stathis' missing Pokémon at once, the mid-day sun beating on their backs.

DS+ (I really need to do something with this part past character profiles): character profile #8, character profile #9

Also, if anyone wants to be added to the PM list, give me a holler.

Giratina ♀

what's your sign?
    Years
    • Age 27
    • Seen Jul 23, 2013
    {21} catch! catch! catch!

"Sir?"

"Sir?"

Fedora Man jumped from surprise. Was it even possible to hold a conversation with two people at once? Curse this infernal newfangled technology! Fedora Man looked between the two screens, at the two people who intended to deliver their reports. …How do you close these windows again?

He gave a very short message to one of the people attempting to contact him and cut the connection, instead turning onto the other one with renewed bemusement.

"What is it, Solana?"

The gray-haired woman coughed. "Well, there have been more recent developments involving the floating orange thing and Professor Lund, the Mime Jr. girl, and Electrium."

"Have there now?" he asked. "Start with the Pokémon-girl."

"Right. Well, you know how that woman we caught… you recall how she was silenced? By being focused upon by the Beam?"

"It went just like Her operation did," he said. "Are you trying to tell me otherwise?"

"Well… there were a few developments concerning the Mime Jr. we weren't previously aware of," continued Solana with an extremely uncharacteristic shakiness to her voice. "For one thing, the creature seems to have retained the ability to use human speech. She was apparently just pretending to be a normal Pokémon while our studies had been conducted on her…" Fedora Man scowled, but didn't interrupt his companion's explanation. "…which means she could still be capable of relaying what had happened to her to—"

"—the person she was sold to," finished Fedora Man.

"Yes, and that brings me to my next point." Solana paused again, but the expression on Fedora Man's face prompted her not to irritate him any further. The person who she was ultimately sold to… we had done some research into her, sir. We had previously dismissed her as another mere Pokémaniac, interested only in the Shiny and the rare. Which she was."

"So what's the problem?" Fedora Man was not a happy camper. "The woman was interested in rare Pokémon, and she purchased a rare Pokémon. We simply retrieve the Mime Jr. and be done with it."

"That was… not all, sir."

Fedora Man's eyes narrowed. "So what about her, then?"

"Her name is Sheridan o'Reilly, sir…" Solana paused. "…whereas the Mime Jr.'s name was Saffron o'Reilly. They were of similar build with exactly the same color hair. It's hardly a common surname, either, and Saffron has admitted to growing up in this region." She stopped again. "Sir, I believe that it's possible – or, dare I say, probable – that Saffron has been sold to her sister."

"What?"

Well, that was just peachy. The Mime Jr. could spill everything that had happened to her, and she was among people who would definitely treat her nicely to keep her around! Fedora Man, needless to say, was not amused.

"I-it will require much more research before we can make any concrete assumptions, sir—"

Fedora Man slammed his fist on the desk, missing his laptop's keyboard by inches. "Well then research it!" he snapped, ignoring Solana's frantic nodding, before taking a few deep breaths in an attempt to calm himself. "…Well, continue, then."

"Yes, sir," said Solana dutifully, having apparently recovered from her nervous state. "There have been reports of a strange red-and-yellow Pokémon roaming the streets of Fort Rhion, spewing electric bolts at random passerby. We have not used an Arcanine in any of our experiments yet, and no other red-and-yellow Pokémon tosses around electricity as far as we know, so the most likely bet is that Electrium is on the loose…"

"Electrium? Wasn't that the Pokémon that was stolen?"

"Yes, sir… it's possible that the Pokémon had either escaped from its kidnapper and has taken to the streets or had simply run off from the 'zoo' – for lack of a better term – by itself. Shall I deploy some operatives to retrieve it?"

"Please do. We need to keep all specimens under a tight leash…" He hesitated. "With the sightings of Electrium, and with the recent disappearance of Tervalve, that means we still have to locate four of the recent group…" He drifted off, and Solana nodded her head solemnly.

"Yes, sir. I will send out a patrol to hunt for it immediately after I'm done here. However, I do have one more thing I need to cover with you, remember?"

"Yes, yes," grumbled Fedora Man. "Torsten. Go on."

"Right," said Solana, regaining her composure. "Mr. Lund. Well, things have been continuing at a steady pace with him, but it seems that the good Professor's conscience is catching up to him. He's started spewing some nonsense about how he's very worried about how the project will affect the small glowing thing, which still hasn't disappeared… actually, it seems insistent on hovering over Torsten's shoulder at all times. He doesn't object." Solana grimaced. "Tests on it are impossible at this stage, Lund or no Lund. But anyhow, he's beginning to have second thoughts, and it seems he's begun to grow a spine as well, if you know what I mean." Solana frowned disapprovingly. "I've talked it over with Nami – Iskra, as usual, proved to be no help at all – and she's agreed that the matter should be brought to your attention."

Fedora Man looked at her disapprovingly. "Solana, if he has any information we may have possibly let slip, it will need to be obtained one way or another."

"Well, he's obviously not going to let it go easily," grunted Solana as her patience wore thin. She almost left it at that until another thought crossed her mind, and the expression on her face lifted considerably at this new option.

"…Unless you mean the LEM?"

"If that is what it takes," said Fedora Man, "then yes. The LEM."

He cut the connection.

-

"How hard can it be to find a stupid dog?" grumbled Clyde.

The expanded Groupie Galaxy had been wandering through Fort Rhion for hours now, hunting for the vaguely-described Pokémon that Stathis had lost track of. They had determined that none of them had any idea which Pokémon the Gym Leader was talking about, but from asking various people on the street a very wispy, vague trail had led them closer and closer to the volt-spewing monster. And now they were sneaking down a dark street as silent as can be (so as not to scare off the, ahem, 'prey') in pursuit of a mysterious electrifying force.

Rotom, as usual, was screwing it up.

"I'm up here!" he called down to Casey, who had long before noticed him hover up above everyone's heads.

"We get it!" his Trainer called up. "Now don't make any noise!"

"Why?" Rotom sunk down to eye level immediately.

"Because you're going to scare off the Pokémon," explained Caro in a considerably more patient tone.

"Oh, okay!"

Rotom made some sort of salute with his Beast head and returned up to the previous altitude, this time making a lot less noise. (The rest of them were visibly relieved that someone had shut him up; even if the Pokémon was on the other side of the city, that didn't stop the searchers from being unsettled by his blathering.) With that obstacle out of the way, the group walked on in silence for a few minutes before conversation gradually began to emerge.

"Wait," said Casey suddenly. "Why are just we looking for this thing? We've been hunting this city for hours. Surely there must be some way we can… I don't know, have us and our Pokémon split up or something?"

"I'm sure we can," remarked Grant, "but how will we return them? It's obvious this place is huge; the Pokéballs don't have that big a range."

"Well then, we have Kaeo go with them and he can inform me where we are." Sheridan released the purple Drowzee – showering herself and everyone else with glitter – in order to prove her point. "After all, it's not like all of the Pokémon need to stay in one group and all the humans in another, otherwise we'd be defenseless if and when we find Stathis' Pokémon."

"Well, since I'm the one who's supposed to fight it, then I should keep all of my Pokémon with me." Casey tapped one string of his backpack for good measure. "If anyone else wants to send their Pokémon out, they can stick with Kaeo."

The Drowzee grunted.

Suddenly, from some dark alley, there came a rustling. Everyone looked around, thinking it was the Pokémon they were looking for – but it wasn't. Nope. What walked out of the shadows was a man in a telltale BDV cloak, holding a rather heavy-looking suitcase.

"Have fun, kids," the grunt said, setting down the suitcase and running away.

There was barely time to express confusion before Fort Rhion and everyone inhabiting it blew up.

Giratina ♀

what's your sign?
    Years
    • Age 27
    • Seen Jul 23, 2013
    {21} catch! catch! catch!

"Sir?"

"Sir?"

Fedora Man jumped from surprise. Was it even possible to hold a conversation with two people at once? Curse this infernal newfangled technology! Fedora Man looked between the two screens, at the two people who intended to deliver their reports. …How do you close these windows again?

He gave a very short message to one of the people attempting to contact him and cut the connection, instead turning onto the other one with renewed bemusement.

"What is it, Solana?"

The gray-haired woman coughed. "Well, there have been more recent developments involving the floating orange thing and Professor Lund, the Mime Jr. girl, and Electrium."

"Have there now?" he asked. "Start with the Pokémon-girl."

"Right. Well, you know how that woman we caught… you recall how she was silenced? By being focused upon by the Beam?"

"It went just like Her operation did," he said. "Are you trying to tell me otherwise?"

"Well… there were a few developments concerning the Mime Jr. we weren't previously aware of," continued Solana with an extremely uncharacteristic shakiness to her voice. "For one thing, the creature seems to have retained the ability to use human speech. She was apparently just pretending to be a normal Pokémon while our studies had been conducted on her…" Fedora Man scowled, but didn't interrupt his companion's explanation. "…which means she could still be capable of relaying what had happened to her to—"

"—the person she was sold to," finished Fedora Man.

"Yes, and that brings me to my next point." Solana paused again, but the expression on Fedora Man's face prompted her not to irritate him any further. The person who she was ultimately sold to… we had done some research into her, sir. We had previously dismissed her as another mere Pokémaniac, interested only in the Shiny and the rare. Which she was."

"So what's the problem?" Fedora Man was not a happy camper. "The woman was interested in rare Pokémon, and she purchased a rare Pokémon. We simply retrieve the Mime Jr. and be done with it."

"That was… not all, sir."

Fedora Man's eyes narrowed. "So what about her, then?"

"Her name is Sheridan o'Reilly, sir…" Solana paused. "…whereas the Mime Jr.'s name was Saffron o'Reilly. They were of similar build with exactly the same color hair. It's hardly a common surname, either, and Saffron has admitted to growing up in this region." She stopped again. "Sir, I believe that it's possible – or, dare I say, probable – that Saffron has been sold to her sister."

"What?"

Well, that was just peachy. The Mime Jr. could spill everything that had happened to her, and she was among people who would definitely treat her nicely to keep her around! Fedora Man, needless to say, was not amused.

"I-it will require much more research before we can make any concrete assumptions, sir—"

Fedora Man slammed his fist on the desk, missing his laptop's keyboard by inches. "Well then research it!" he snapped, ignoring Solana's frantic nodding, before taking a few deep breaths in an attempt to calm himself. "…Well, continue, then."

"Yes, sir," said Solana dutifully, having apparently recovered from her nervous state. "There have been reports of a strange red-and-yellow Pokémon roaming the streets of Fort Rhion, spewing electric bolts at random passerby. We have not used an Arcanine in any of our experiments yet, and no other red-and-yellow Pokémon tosses around electricity as far as we know, so the most likely bet is that Electrium is on the loose…"

"Electrium? Wasn't that the Pokémon that was stolen?"

"Yes, sir… it's possible that the Pokémon had either escaped from its kidnapper and has taken to the streets or had simply run off from the 'zoo' – for lack of a better term – by itself. Shall I deploy some operatives to retrieve it?"

"Please do. We need to keep all specimens under a tight leash…" He hesitated. "With the sightings of Electrium, and with the recent disappearance of Tervalve, that means we still have to locate four of the recent group…" He drifted off, and Solana nodded her head solemnly.

"Yes, sir. I will send out a patrol to hunt for it immediately after I'm done here. However, I do have one more thing I need to cover with you, remember?"

"Yes, yes," grumbled Fedora Man. "Torsten. Go on."

"Right," said Solana, regaining her composure. "Mr. Lund. Well, things have been continuing at a steady pace with him, but it seems that the good Professor's conscience is catching up to him. He's started spewing some nonsense about how he's very worried about how the project will affect the small glowing thing, which still hasn't disappeared… actually, it seems insistent on hovering over Torsten's shoulder at all times. He doesn't object." Solana grimaced. "Tests on it are impossible at this stage, Lund or no Lund. But anyhow, he's beginning to have second thoughts, and it seems he's begun to grow a spine as well, if you know what I mean." Solana frowned disapprovingly. "I've talked it over with Nami – Iskra, as usual, proved to be no help at all – and she's agreed that the matter should be brought to your attention."

Fedora Man looked at her disapprovingly. "Solana, if he has any information we may have possibly let slip, it will need to be obtained one way or another."

"Well, he's obviously not going to let it go easily," grunted Solana as her patience wore thin. She almost left it at that until another thought crossed her mind, and the expression on her face lifted considerably at this new option.

"…Unless you mean the LEM?"

"If that is what it takes," said Fedora Man, "then yes. The LEM."

He cut the connection.

-

"How hard can it be to find a stupid dog?" grumbled Clyde.

The expanded Groupie Galaxy had been wandering through Fort Rhion for hours now, hunting for the vaguely-described Pokémon that Stathis had lost track of. They had determined that none of them had any idea which Pokémon the Gym Leader was talking about, but from asking various people on the street a very wispy, vague trail had led them closer and closer to the volt-spewing monster. And now they were sneaking down a dark street as silent as can be (so as not to scare off the, ahem, 'prey') in pursuit of a mysterious electrifying force.

Rotom, as usual, was screwing it up.

"I'm up here!" he called down to Casey, who had long before noticed him hover up above everyone's heads.

"We get it!" his Trainer called up. "Now don't make any noise!"

"Why?" Rotom sunk down to eye level immediately.

"Because you're going to scare off the Pokémon," explained Caro in a considerably more patient tone.

"Oh, okay!"

Rotom made some sort of salute with his Beast head and returned up to the previous altitude, this time making a lot less noise. (The rest of them were visibly relieved that someone had shut him up; even if the Pokémon was on the other side of the city, that didn't stop the searchers from being unsettled by his blathering.) With that obstacle out of the way, the group walked on in silence for a few minutes before conversation gradually began to emerge.

"Hold on," said Casey suddenly. "Why are just we looking for this thing? We've been hunting this city for hours. Surely there must be some way we can… I don't know, have us and our Pokémon split up or something?"

"I'm sure we can," remarked Grant, "but how will we return them? The Pokéballs don't have that big a range."

"Well then, we have Kaeo go with them and he can inform me where we are." Sheridan released the purple Drowzee – showering herself and everyone else with glitter – in order to prove her point. "After all, it's not like all of the Pokémon need to stay in one group and all the humans in another, otherwise we'd be defenseless if and when we find Stathis' Pokémon."

"Since I'm the one who's supposed to fight it, then I should keep all of my Pokémon with me." Casey tapped one string of his backpack for good measure. "If anyone else wants to send their Pokémon out, they can stick with Kaeo."

The Drowzee grunted.

"Everyone should have at least one member of their team with them in case trouble arrives. I'll keep Pinsir with me." Grant crossed his arms, brow furrowed in thought. "So… the leftovers can go look with Kaeo, then, I guess?"

There was a general muttering of agreement as many, many Pokémon were sent out at once. The two Raticates (Grant's and Caro's) sniffed at each other curiously, then decided that the other was fine and immediately started up an… ahem… riveting discussion about the finer points of Dumpster diving. Slakoth looked around, yawned, and then started pulling on Clyde's leg until, with an irritated grunt, he picked the Pokémon up. Kaeo looked around calmly, not letting any of the other Pokémon talk to him until Caro's Azumarill tapped him on the shoulder and asked the question that has graced millions of kindergartners the world over: "Wanna be friends?" There was a whole mess of other Pokémon communication, and after a brief rousing speech from Caro the two parties separated.

"What?" muttered one figure.

"They've split up?" hissed another.

"Dumb," noted a third.

Unknown to any member of the Groupie Galaxy, hiding on a nearby rooftop crouched two humans and a Delcatty. They were all watching their prey intently, and so when said "prey" became a lot harder to round up, the division was not missed.

"Follow?" mused Billy.

"Of course we follow them," said Kidd. "We were sent to find Electrium, weren't we? And since Aerith over here was sneaking around where she shouldn't have been…"

"I do whatever I like," snapped the Delcatty in response.

"Let me finish!" growled Kidd before continuing. "But because Aerith and her big head felt like sneaking around where she shouldn't be, something good actually came out of it – you got that, Aerith? Something good – and we found that those guys…" She pointed at the Groupie Galaxy, "…are looking for it too! Plus CD0000 decided to stick around, which means they must still have the missing information, and they have that Saffron girl… Mime Jr. …thing cuddled in their arms! This is a perfect opportunity!"

"We do what?" asked Billy, frowning at them.

"Here's what we do," said Aerith, lashing her tail. "We take the pink fluffball, we abduct CD0000, we drive the others out, and then we catch Electrium."

"You forget the Pokémon," noted Kidd. "They must have plenty of strong ones, right? And when we have a whole mob of strong Pokémon walking around and they're not ours, it's not always good. They do look strong, you know, even if that's the most pleasant adjective they have…" She shuddered at the state of the blonde woman's hair. Tips dyed green? Really? "…And for all we know, they could all be a pack of…" She paused. "…Mightyenas…"

All three of them cringed in unison.

"Well, whatever!" barked Aerith in a very un-Delcattylike way. "Our mission is to capture stragglers!"

"That's right!" gasped Kidd. "And we've got to do it!"

"Uh-huh," remarked Billy.

The three all sprang to their feet and began a very complicated series of jumps, leaping up and on a wide variety of storefronts and Dumpsters to find the ground again. There was a general maniacal giggle for good luck, and then the two cloaked humans and the Pokémon ran off to do their masters' bidding. They were swooshing capes and making very large bounds and generally making fools of themselves, but really, who cares? There was an actual job to do now!

Azumarill's head turned sharply to the left.

"Did you hear that?" he asked.

Zephyroth and Hal (Caro and Grant's Raticate, respectively, named to prevent confusion within the group) looked at Azumarill dubiously.

"No," they said in unison.

"I didn't," confessed Vigoroth. "But I'll listen harder!"

"Right," muttered Crobat. "We'll leave you to that."

"Well," noted Zephyroth, "We do have the biggest ears here…"

"But then again, so does Azumarill, and he heard…" said Hal without skipping a beat.

"This could be a problem!" the two concluded at once.

"Wow," whispered Azumarill to Kaeo. "They've only just met, right? And already they're perfectly in sync!"

"It's interesting," replied the Psychic-type in hushed tones. "I suppose they realized that their brains work very much the same."

"OHOHO."

Everyone jumped in unison as two comparatively tall figures (and one short one) hopped out from behind a Dumpster, silhouetted against the dark alleyway in some sort of dramatic entrance. A few seconds later they all stepped into a position where it was considerably easier to see, and the ever-persistent Billy, Kidd, and Aerith emerged.

"We're here to catch you," explained Aerith, much to the surrounding Pokémon's surprise. "So, you see, if you could just relax and allow us to go about our business, nothing gets broken."

Vigoroth growled. Zephyroth and Hal skittered into what could possibly be called 'battle position'. Kaeo raised his arms and Azumarill's ear twitched. It was obvious they weren't going to leave easily; the three realized this at once, and didn't even bother making a short quip about how intelligent they were before hopping into attack mode.

Aerith bounded forward at once, landing on Kaeo. He took a step back, not realizing that he would be the one targeted despite being the leader of the group. Hal pounced, trying to whack Aerith off but only managing to scratch her. The Delcatty lashed her tail in anger and sprang off of Kaeo, now intent on catching her latest victim, and failed to notice the mob of Manectrics which had assembled behind her.

"Hello," they said before shoving Aerith back into her teammates and chasing them off in a barking rage.

"Dogs not like us!" wailed Billy.

"Apparently," grunted Crobat.

There was a general silence then, as the group wondered who should imply that they really needed to get going. As a result of this, the entire group was visibly on edge. And then…

"Hm?" Kaeo's eyes widened.

"What is it?" came the general cacophony that was supposed to be the rest of the Pokémon.

"We should return to Sheridan and the others quickly," said Kaeo in an eerily calm voice. "Like, now."

Giratina ♀

what's your sign?
    Years
    • Age 27
    • Seen Jul 23, 2013
    {22} irresistible force, immovable object

Well, it was red. And yellow. It was a Pokémon, certainly (it was not animal and definitely not human). With spiked fur crowning its head on either side. By all means, it was exactly what Stathis had described. The only problem – aside from that, none of them had any idea what it was.

"Um, Caro," said Casey. "I… don't believe I've seen that before…"

"Neither have I."

"Oh." He blinked. "That's… that's a problem, then?"

Sheridan, on the other hand, was far from being deterred from the fact that it was completely unidentifiable. Instead, she gave a little squeal normally reserved for overly-ambitious fangirls and practically pranced up to the mysterious red lion, who in turn growled ferociously. Everyone else then proceeded to watch in bewilderment as Sheridan began cooing to the monster like a mother to her child, hopping back and giggling when it lashed out at her. (It didn't work as well when there were lightning bolts involved.)

"Hey, be careful!" yelled Grant. "That thing could… could paralyze you or something!"

Sheridan didn't seem to hear – though Caro did.

"Oh, come on, now you're just getting paranoid," he snorted. "Only Luxrays do that."

Finally, Clyde found himself fed up with her acting like an obsessive idiot and strode up to the woman, pulling her back to the rest of his group by the ponytail. "Stay," he told her, wagging a finger like she was some sort of misbehaving pet. Sheridan pouted. (Despite the seriousness of the general situation, Caro had to fight to keep down a snicker.)

"Eliiii!" snapped the Pokémon. "Electri-um!"

"Electrium, is it?" muttered Casey, whipping out the JAWS and pointing it at the lion Pokémon. A few seconds passed.

Casey scowled.

"Hello?" he said, shaking the JAWS and pointing it at Electrium again. "There's a Pokémon in front of you! Get its entry!"

It didn't.

"Forget this," he grunted, tossing the JAWS back in his backpack in favor of a Pokéball. "You're an Electric-type, aren't you?"

Electrium hissed violently.

"I think that's his 'yes' hostile roar," noted Caro.

Within seconds the Pokéball's telltale sucking sound had played, and on the ground stood the small green dinosaur we call Larvitar. He almost immediately noticed the growling four-legged Pokémon in front of him; instead of being surprised at not recognizing it, he simply spread his weight out in characteristic "Let's fight!" style.

Electrium took notice and immediately dove for him, mouth open for a Thunder Fang.

"Rock Slide." Casey addressed this calmly and almost without emotion, quite unlike many of the flashy attack commands the normal Gym challengers threw out. Though Casey could hardly be considered a normal Gym challenger… and, then again, this could hardly be considered a normal Gym challenge. Regardless, Larvitar held up a paw in agreement and set to work summoning a few obnoxiously large boulders to lob at Electrium.

The Pokémon's eyes widened, but momentum kept it going – directly into a boulder. Electrium closed its jaws on the rock, crunching it, but there went its attack. It stopped and ducked its head down, right in time to get hit by another giant wad of earth hot on the trail of the first. It screeched and fired up another Thunder Fang, dashing towards Larvitar again. This time, though, Electrium was too close to be swatted off with some rocks, so our green dinosaur friend took a step back and held his arms out like someone in a green tunic trying to halt a bull.

Electrium ducked to get closer to the ground and opened its mouth wide, flickers of static illuminating the pointy teeth inside with striking contrast. Electrium was almost right over Larvitar now, and it went in for the attack…

…which didn't do anything.

Larvitar held up his arms, an almost bored expression evident from his frown, and let the electricity pass through his body without batting an eye.

Electrium blinked, dazed for a second but seeming to understand what had happened. It lashed its tail and nodded; having gained some useful information about this new challenger, it would be able to modify the strategy accordingly. Caro raised his eyebrows, having found a nice place to sit on a relatively clean crate.

"The Pokémon knew about type advantages… not many of them do." Clyde turned his head to Caro, confusion evident on his face. After a brief silence, Caro started laughing. "Oh! Right, I didn't tell you, did I? Haha, no, you weren't here…" He snickered again before returning to what could be called a serious expression if one was standing a few feet away with their back to him. "Ahem. I'm a Pokémon."

Clyde opened his mouth to respond, thought better of it, and merely shook his head.

Meanwhile, back on the more exciting part of the wide but secluded street, Larvitar was staring Electrium down with a high-quality death glare. A few seconds later, Electrium whipped its head around ferociously and lunged for Larvitar yet again, jaws open.

"He's not going to try that again, is he?" asked Saffron.

"No," replied Sheridan. "See? No electricity. Actually, that energy seems to be red…" She leaned closer towards the battle, squinting.

"Fire Fang," concluded Grant helpfully.

Larvitar whipped his tail in Casey's general direction, implying that now would be a lovely time to give him a command.

"Sandstorm."

The sand that had been trickling out of Larvitar's body at a slow but steady pace since the battle started almost immediately rose in frequency, until the stuff was practically flying out. Larvitar waved his arms around a few times, sending the mounds of dirt and rock up into the air. It allowed just enough time to shoot Electrium an evil grin before the flakes flew.

Electrium yowled a couple of times and lunged at a spot he thought was Larvitar.

Throwing your body weight onto a Dumpster is not a pleasant experience; Electrium learned this the hard way, having missed the Ground-type Pokémon completely. It turned and pointed one claw at the Electric-type, giving a raspy laugh. (Caro was frowning disapprovingly.) Electrium scampered away from the Dumpster, eyes glinting maliciously, and launched right back into his Bite.

Larvitar, in his amusement, had failed to notice this – not a wise decision in the heat of battle, obviously, and yet he had failed to get the memo. And so Larvitar was still laughing at Electrium's previous misfortune when a bunch of extremely sharp fangs bit down on his extremely tough skin.

Had this been a more, ahem, 'official' entry, now would have been the time where everyone were to be subjected to a glorious explosion of dust and sound. Or maybe just an oxymoron. Either one would have sufficed.

Regardless, Electrium bit down harder. And harder. And harder. Larvitar had started out by gritting his teeth, but it soon became apparent that the Electric-type had no intention of letting go, and he began to squeak (adorably). Casey noticed almost immediately, and he wasn't pleased. He began to walk forward, thought better of it, and stopped where he was. It wasn't necessary to mention that he was glaring daggers and laser beams the ferocity of which had never been previously documented. He had even gotten a syllable out of his mouth before a much more commanding voice barked out of nowhere.

"STOP!"

Out of a side alley stormed an absolutely furious Stathis, glaring daggers and laser beams under his low-rimmed blue beanie. Electrium apparently heard him and released his jaws just slightly; Larvitar, being the crafty little monster he was, slipped out and scuttled away. Electrium made a move to follow, but that notion was quickly shut down.

"NO."

Electrium froze.

Still boiling (as was made perfectly clear by his actions), Stathis held out a Pokéball. At the same time, Casey did the same exact thing. Within moments the feuding Pokémon had both been recalled, with their owners staring at the other.

"Sorry, man," he grunted. "I should've told you before."

"It's alright," Casey sighed. "The Pokémon Center should be able to handle it…"

"No, it isn't."

"What?" Casey blinked. "You really think he was hurt that hard?"

"Not the Pokémon!" Stathis ground his boot into the road. "Yeah, I should have told you about his temper tantrums… I was all caught up in the idea of getting him reined in again and didn't explain. Maybe wanted him to let off some steam an'… never mind, never mind." He shook his head, slinging the wire jump-rope over his shoulder. "Here, follow me… I'm going back."

"You mean you can actually find your way out of this place?" Clyde grumbled.

"Sure I can," remarked Stathis, his mood suddenly improved. "Lived here since I was a kid, you know. I ran around these backstreets here all m'life… a lot of people have compared them to the Labyrinth, you know."

"Labyrinth… that sounds familiar," pondered Casey.

"It's over in Raxi City," continued Stathis. "Almost half the Slums are eaten up by it. The whole place is, like, made up of windy side alleys, and it's pitch black all times of day. A Venomoth could get lost in there. Of course, this place isn't as famous or as dangerous as the Raxi Labyrinth, but… it's pretty similar."

"Where is this Raxi place?" asked Casey, whipping out his JAWS to scour the 'map' function. "Sounds interesting."

"It's the next Gym on the circuit. You won't miss i—" Stathis halted suddenly. "Oh!" He whirled around to point a finger at Casey again. "You was able to find my dude until I could control him. That means you did all the stuff for the Gym Badge! …Sorta." He fished around in his jacket pocket and pulled out a small metal object. It was interesting, to say the least – a red circle inside of a black one, with a lightning bolt pattern laid over both of them. "Have fun with your Voltage Badge, dude."

Casey took it with a smile and a "Thank you," holding it up to look over his newest piece of official League shiny.

The procession continued with Stathis leading the way proudly, not stopping to check direction once. Within a matter of minutes the group found themselves standing right back in front of Fort Rhion's Gym.

"This is where we part, peeps," the red-haired Gym Leader remarked. "Personally, I'd just go back to the Pokémon Center for now; going into Holon Forest after dark is like a death wish. Good luck on your challenge, man." With a final nod he disappeared into the darkness of the Gym, leaving the Groupie Galaxy in the streets.

The group had finally found their way back into the Pokémon Center, and later their rooms, and Casey was ready to flop on the bed and simply sleep.

Of course, Amarachi would have none of that.

Casey entered the room to find the little pink-clad girl plopped on his bed, sitting cross-legged and apparently waiting for him to enter. Too tired to put up much of a fight, Casey threw his stuff on the floor and tried to swat her out the window in a half-awake stupor. When Amarachi resisted, he finally committed a sizable part of his brain to dealing with her and asked, "What do you want?"

"I'm here to tell you my name," she said.

"So after you've told me your name you'll leave?" Casey set to work stuffing his few belongings into various chests and drawers.

"Amarachi."

"Huh?" The teenager looked up from his work.

"Amarachi. It's my name."

"Oh," he replied. "Okay. Nice name."

Amarachi nodded. "Do you know what the Delta Species are?"

"Vaguely," he replied. "They're Pokémon who were scientifically enhanced to have new powers and stuff."

"They used to be that." Amarachi frowned, her mask's eyes boring into Casey's skull. "Recent developments suggest otherwise."

"Oh yeah?" he replied. "So why do I care?"

"'Cos you'll be seeing a lot of them. You saw a lot of them." Amarachi stood up on the bed then, turning towards the open window. Casey (who was facing the other way) failed to notice this – at least until she made a move towards it, suggesting that the girl was going to actually leap out.

"Wh—hey!"

He swiveled around and scrambled across the room, planning to catch Amarachi before she scampered off. He found, much to his dismay, that he was too late…

Biting his lip, Casey peered down to the ground, not particularly enjoying the concept of a kid-sized corpse under his window. Instead, though, he watched as the caped enigma darted off into the trees.

"This is wrong," sighed the Trainer as he flopped onto his bed again. "So, so wrong." Suddenly, though, he paused. The mattress under his head felt very hard, quite unlike the rest of the bed. Sitting up again with some mental prompting, he fished around under the pillows for quite a while until he found the source of the unusual firmness.

It was a briefcase.

Pokeyking

That guy that does stuff.
    Years
  • Ma, just when I put my fic that I've been writing for over a year up, BAM! Regardless, I really like it. It has a great narritive, developed characters, and you actually have LONG chapters! i have to commend that. Good work, you have a new reader.

Giratina ♀

what's your sign?
    Years
    • Age 27
    • Seen Jul 23, 2013
    I was actually going to go review your fanfic and have the first line mention that I mistook it for my own. (I actually did a couple of times.) |D I'll go and review that tomorrow when my computer isn't acting up. Anyway, thank you for the compliments! :3

And I've been plotting this for almost a year now, so we're on the same track.

Pokeyking

That guy that does stuff.
    Years
  • I'm just happy we have a different plot XD Mines about a parallel universe, your holon.

Giratina ♀

what's your sign?
    Years
    • Age 27
    • Seen Jul 23, 2013
    True, true. And yours is Pokémon-centric, right?
    /hasn't read it yet

(Psst, we ought to continue this in a VM chat or something)

Giratina ♀

what's your sign?
    Years
    • Age 27
    • Seen Jul 23, 2013
    {23} dna strands in my hair

Having once again come into possession of The Briefcase, Grant immediately vouched to carry it again – however, when reminded of what had happened the last time he made that proposal, the man huffily gave up and let Caro (who had mentioned that "it looked better on him anyway") carry the thing instead.

"However!" Grant remarked. "Don't even think about looking in there without my permission!"

"Who nominated you God of Briefcases?" snarked Clyde from behind him. Grant held up the Pipe as an implication that it would be used; this shut him up very quickly.

"Guys, stop arguing," said Casey from the lead. He was in the process of checking and re-checking his JAWS, figuring out exactly what they were supposed to do from there on out. "…Here, look at this. Stathis said we had to go to Raxi City next, but we've got another town just a little way off the path." He stopped to let the others catch up, and they all huddled into a meeting of sorts (Rotom having trying to hog the view but was pushed away by a multitude of hands).

Casey pressed a button after peering at it for a second, and the JAWS made a whirring noise. A second later a 3D map of Holon, seemingly ripped right out of a futuristic space cruiser, popped up.

After a brief "ooh-ahh" session, Casey used his finger to trace out the plan. "Okay, so we should be somewhere around here right now. A lot of the way is pretty much farmland, so that's no problem, but look at this – it's a long way around, and there's a small town over here. Just a slight detour, see? So I was thinking that when we get there we take advantage of the rest of the day or night off and continue going in the morning – if we go fast this part should take us around a day."

"I see," remarked Sheridan. "So what of the part that isn't farmland?"

"Well, I guess we'll handle that when we get to it." Caro switched The Briefcase from one hand to the other. "Sounds like a plan to me!"

"This is a detour, the town we're going to?" asked Clyde.

"Yeah," muttered Grant, still tetchy about The Briefcase. "Weren't you listening?"

He moaned, but made no further comment.

They had just put away the JAWS and began walking again when it occurred to Casey that maybe the others would like to know that he had a stalker in a little pink mask. "Hey," he said as they walked. "You remember the kid in the cape we saw in the forest that time?"

"No," was the unanimous deadpan.

Casey sighed. "Okay… here. Pink cape, red hair, stupid mask…"

"Oh, right!" chirped Sheridan. "The mute girl!"

"Yeah, her," Casey grumbled, a little put off by her choice of words. "She's actually not mute – but she poofed into existence in the Pokémon Center last night."

"Don't tell me you've been on another one of your midnight treks," said Clyde.

"No!" replied Casey defensively. "I mean… no, no I haven't. She just magicked herself into being in the center of my bedroom, told me her name, and then left."

"She also left the Briefcase on your bed," pointed out Grant, indicating the accessory in question.

"We don't know that she did that." Casey shrugged. "Anyway, I think she said her name was Amarachi."

"Weird name," said Caro distractedly.

Clyde raised an eyebrow. "Look who's talking!"

Letting the two others continue their jabs at each others' identities, Casey craned his neck to get a good look at the territory beyond. It was the same boring farmland he had been looking at for the past day or two, with absolutely no sign of the elusive Epsil Town to speak of. Casey sighed and drummed his fingers on his hip as he walked.

"Oh, you want to get to Epsil that bad, don't you?" asked Saffron.

The procession froze.

"…Did I say that out loud?" squeaked the little Pokémon from Sheridan's arms. "I'm sorry… Um, I was just sort of… well, I heard you talk and… was that just thoughts out loud?"

"I didn't say that…" said Casey slowly.

"Oh… sorry." Saffron sweatdropped. "I guess I must have—"

"…I thought it."

"Eh?!?"

Sheridan looked down at her younger sister in Mime Jr. form and smiled. "Looks like your psychic powers are beginning to kick in, doesn't it?" Saffron shrugged her petite shoulders but didn't say much else.

"Well, in any case, yes. I want to get there quickly." Casey looked ahead again; no luck this time, either. He said the next line in a considerably lower tone, almost inaudible."Sooner we start, sooner we end…"

Saffron frowned pensively, but wisely said nothing.

Finally, after scampering up a hill that nobody seemed to recall being on the map, the Groupie Galaxy had Epsil Town in sight. As soon as they reached the top, the white-haired member of the group let out a sigh of relief and turned his head to the sky.

"Thank. You. Arceus." Clyde said each word as its own sentence.

"Come on," grumbled Caro, pulling him by the arm in order to get him moving and later hopping out of the way as Clyde attempted to regain his balance from being pulled down a hill.

Clyde huffed, brushed himself off, and continued walking at a brisk pace. "Let's just go to town already."

"Right!" Caro scuttled down the hill after him, leaping and skipping like a Stantler down a cliff. Clyde wisely decided to pause and let him pass instead of try to keep ahead of the agile young man.

Once everyone had hopped, skipped, or skidded to the bottom, they all could see Epsil Town plain as day in front of them. Instead of pondering what they would do while just standing around on the outskirts of the town, the group sat down at a cute side café to plan their next few days over a multitude of fun little sandwiches.

"Hey, look at that!" said Caro, apparently unaware of the Mime Jr. stuffing her face directly next to him. "This whole town just clings to the Route. It's like Solaceon Town but… smaller."

"I guess not every settlement can be a metropolis," said Casey in response, turning to gaze at the fields and farms that dotted the rest of the visible landscape. (In truth, he had only just recently wrapped his head around the fact that not every settlement took up half of the Region.) He watched a shape flicker across the sky – it looked like a messy blob, but then again his observation point was very far away. A plane of some sort? Casey was pondering this when Sheridan's voice broke into his head.

"So, Casey…"

"Huh?" He blinked. "Oh. Uh, what is it?"

Sheridan put down the sandwich she was holding, and leaned on the table like she was some sort of interviewer.

"For viewers who have just recently joined us," she continued to much snickering, "we were talking about growing up and whatnot. So what was it like over in Hoenn? Sweaty, right?"

This caught him off guard.

Casey was about to open his mouth to object with something to the tune of "But I've never been to Hoenn!" when he recalled what he had scribbled down on the obnoxiously long Trainer registration form so long ago. According to that cursed little piece of paper, Casey Blair grew up in Hoenn, not Calda…

"How did you find out about that?" he asked. "I don't think I ever told any of you."

"Didn't you notice?" asked Caro. "Everyone who signs up as a Trainer is asked if the Holon League can display their information publicly, instead of just on the personal log. You did give them permission, didn't you?"

…He had skipped that section.

Ugh.

"Oh, right," he said. For a few seconds he sat, rapidly trying to piece together every useless fact about Hoenn he had ever learned. After that few seconds had passed he realized that doing that was generally a stupid idea and, unless he intended to spend at least the next week becoming a scholar/traveler of Hoenn, then maybe fessing up would be a better idea.

And then he said: "Beats me. I've never actually been to Hoenn in my life."

This statement was greeted with the clattering of silverware, sandwiches, and four people (as well as a Mime Jr.) struggling to make sense of what he had just said. Failing this, they all settled on one word:

"What?!?"

"Yeah," sighed Casey. "I didn't grow up in Hoenn. Just Calda." He averted his eyes from the rest of the group to settle on Rotom, who had made himself comfortable floating above them all and making Beast jab at invisible, extraterrestrial enemies trying to attack the Groupie Galaxy's main planet.

It was then he noticed that all five confused expressions had turned into Death Glares.

"Explain," deadpanned Sheridan. "Now."

And explain he did – everything from that bus to Rotom and the lovely Back Alley Incident to what he actually looked like without Palkia's magic worked on him ("Pretty lame, to be honest," he confessed, "short with brown hair and eyes."). It was all there. Rotom sometimes plopped down to everyone else's level in order to make some sort of hopelessly adorable comment, but soon returned to his imaginary game. In the end, though, the effect went through the same way – exactly the way he hadn't wanted it to.

They were all staring at Casey as if they had never met the boy before.

He sat back in his chair, took a deep breath, and held up his hands as if showing that he was now unarmed. "And that," he concluded, "is the truth."

The silence that ensued could suffocate a Probopass.

"Wait," said Caro slowly. "So you… you sneaked Rotom out of…"

"Yes," he said. "Out. Of Calda. Didn't I just get done explaining that?"

"Well… yes, but…" Caro hesitated. "…You??"

Very tactful, Caro.

"Yes, me," grumbled the boy in response. "Why do you find that surprising?"

"Well… I mean…" Caro was obviously trying to find better words for the expression he wanted to convey, but unfortunately it didn't seem like that was happening. Finally, he seemed to find something and explained. "You don't seem like the kind of the guy who would be a… you know…"

Casey grimaced. "Trust me, I didn't like it any more than you did."

"Desperate times call for desperate measures," Sheridan relayed sagely. "It certainly sounded like a difficult ordeal…"

The redhead leaned back in his chair and sighed. "Yeah, but I've dug my own grave now." He remembered something and turned to Saffron, who had finished leeching the sandwich supply and was now lying on the table, sunning herself. "Well, now you see why I want to get this done so badly, don't you?"

It was then he realized that she was asleep.

"Never mind," he grunted, turning back to the others. "Anyway, yeah. I was planning to get this whole thing over with so that Giratina can't complain anymore and I can, hopefully, get back to Calda somehow. Not much about me is the same; nobody will ever be able to guess."

"And what of your team?" asked Grant.

"Um…" Casey paused. He hadn't actually thought of that. "I don't know. I would probably release them or something."

"You'd release them?" Caro looked at him as if the idea had never struck him before. Interestingly enough, it hadn't.

"Well, yeah." Casey leaned his head on one arm. "There's really nothing else you can do with them once you're in a Region where they're outlawed, and it would just be stupid to leave them in a PC for the rest of their existence…"

"Oh, I see," said Clyde in dark tones. "So you're just doing this to please that Giratina chick and then you're going to run off back to your safehaven like nothing even happened? Have you even realized how serious this is?"

"You go around a Region collecting Badges, and then you're finished." Casey said this as if he were explaining how two plus two equaled four.

Clyde facepalmed. "No, you idiot! For one thing, you've got to fight the Pokémon League Champion before you can run off doing…" He stopped for a moment, thought (this impressed everyone greatly), and then stared at Casey again. "…oh, of course. You haven't seen any of the really strange stuff yet, have you?"

"I've seen plenty of 'strange stuff' in this Region already, thanks."

"No," continued the ex-villain, standing up. "Not the people, but the journey itself… here, let me see your JAWS." Casey handed over the amusingly-named contraption and Clyde pulled up the 3D map again. He held out a finger to aid his explanation. "See here? So far, you've seen Fort Rhion, Rhoter City, and now this place. It's only about a third of the Region. Do you know what this part of the Region is called?" Casey shook his head, slightly unnerved by this sudden display of competence. "'The Flatlands'. The topography here has been completely boring, but Mirage Forest has been pretty much pushed back to make way for more farmland.." He slid his finger downwards and to the left, stopping over another settlement. "As a matter of fact, Talwing Town over here is pretty much the only place with the Forest still intact. Omicropolis is very industrial, Sigmon's a volcanic mess. Raxi's ecosystem is… not inspiring."

He sat down again and crossed his legs. "So don't take this whole thing as fields and fantasies, even if you just want to get out of it."

The only thing Casey could think to say was, "And you know this… how?"

"It's old information, mostly," he grunted. "Probably changed a lot. Wouldn't be surprised if Omicropolis is a jungle and Raxi is a fluffy meadow of butterflies." He crossed his arms. "Well, whatever. You just can't take this like it's some sort of easy task, alright?"

"Okay." Of all the people Casey expected to give him a lecture, Clyde was most definitely not one of them.

Apparently trying to direct the conversation away from its current topic, Caro pointed at a comparatively mammoth building a short ways away. "Hey, what's that?"

Sheridan turned in her seat to look; she was able to identify it. "Oh, that's the Epsil Museum. It's pretty huge, right?" She leaned in closer and said her next words with a hushed undertone. "Honestly, I think it's the only thing keeping this place on the map…"

The others nodded their agreement.

"Well," said Grant, turning back to the map. "We've got the rest of the day to eat up, and taking the long way around Lake Heta could take a while. Should we go check it out?"

"Yeah, sure." With that, Casey stood up and stretched before beckoning for the others to follow him.

After paying the surprisingly cheap fee, the group formulated a tried-and-true plan: everyone ran off in a separate direction and met up at the same place in a few hours. Nobody ended up running in the same direction as any of their peers, so Casey and Rotom found themselves with an interesting lack of groupies as they went wandering around.

Casey had wandered about for a bit before stopping to observe a section of the museum aptly named "Pokémon: Mysterious Monsters". Not for any particular reason – well, okay, maybe he was kind of curious about that flying blob – except that it had simply been the one he walked to.

Eventually he had wandered to one of the largest areas of the exhibit room, centered around an extremely strange series of Pokémon native primarily to the Kanto and Johto Regions. They were referred to as "Glitches" primarily; according to the small tsunami of plaques hovering around him, many scientists believed that they were prototype Porygon (a digital Pokémon, apparently – Casey wasn't aware that they could do that) which had run rampant from the Cinnabar laboratory they were developed in.

"Rotom, look at this," he said distractedly, still focusing on the strange Pokémon concept.

"Ah, you've found the Glitches?" called a voice from behind him.

Casey turned his head to find, standing next to him, a man wearing brown pants over what could only be called an olive-green cloak, assembled from two different colors of fabric and being long-sleeved on only one arm (the other was a white color). This was all well and good, but no matter how silly it looked, this newcomer's outfit dwarfed in comparison to the juggernaut which was apparently his hair – immense black spikes flew out in all directions, with more than a few of the bangs and a stripe down the middle being white.

Casey couldn't help but be reminded of an old medical comic.

"Apparently so," he said, turning back to them. "Not very hard, considering the size…"

"Oh, yes, the size." The man chuckled. "I'm afraid I'm the one to blame for that; as the curator of this museum I have more than a little say in what goes on in the exhibits, and I must admit that the study of these so-called Glitch Pokémon is one of my… ah… pet hobbies."

"Oh," said Casey. "I see. Well, it's certainly an interesting topic…"

"That it is!" The curator's yellow eyes began to take on a vaguely sparkly quality. "I frankly can't explain why it's so, but I find the subject absolutely fascinating!" The gushing continued for a minute or so after that, eventually descending into a mix of blabbering which Casey was relatively sure he had heard on the Internet somewhere. Despite himself, the young man zoned out there, seeking not to either agree or disagree with his apparent borderline-obsession for fear of his life and/or eardrums.

Eventually he calmed down, though, and cleared his throat. "Anyhow, my name is Alonzo Daly. Who might you be?"

"Casey," he replied, shaking the man's hand. "Casey Blair."

Oh, Alonzo, you wonderful little eccentric you.

ds+ (character profile 11)

bobandbill

one more time
    Years
  • So I see you went and changed the title of the fic. =P

Anyways, this is to inform you that I HAVE CAUGHT UP FULLY and have finished re-quoting a few things to say. Yay. I guess that means I can start betaing. =P

Overall this is still as good (or better!) as the other chapters. The comedy in particular is very entertaining still, as are the incorporations of game-logic stuff into the fic, and also things from the side games as well to boot. Plot is remaining entertaining (and there's been a lot of developments as well, I might add...). Descriptions continue to be better here than in earlier chapters as well so good work there. Actually apply that comment all over in general. =P

And have a bunch of aforementioned quotes where I go into a bit more detail I suppose at occasions.
    Mr. Blair was taking a leisurely nighttime stroll around the outdoor botanical garden attached to the back of the Pokémon Center
    night-time I believe.
    "No," the voice from the Megaphone Rock replied icily. "I'm just saying that she's not easy to crack. Unless you just want to make your temper worse, back away from the girl and run back to your room, okay?"
    Missing quotation mark there.
    "I don't know. Probably is some sort of stupid magic that woman cooks up." Casey snorted, shaking his head.
    Could technically be one sentence by switching that full stop to a comma...but it *is* ok as-is. Up to you.
    Casey glanced upward at the moon. It was almost directly overhead. "Must be about… eleven PM right now," he sighed.

(...)

However, there was nobody present to enjoy this true spectacle of nature and humanity combined, seeing as the time read about 4:30 AM.
    This time-skip struck me as odd as very little seemed to have happened there - a little bit of talking an a walk back to the Pokemon Centre - .certainly not 5-and-a-half hours of events there I believe. =P Could use some changing.
    Meanwhile, amidst the mass of people and after a lengthy discussion of the group's funding, Sheridan cuddled an Ultra Ball affectionately and practically pranced over to the other side of the corridor of Pokémon stands. (…)
    "Casey!" she chirped as soon as he was in earshot. "I've got some thiiiiings~!"

"Yeah," he replied. "I can… I can see that, Sheridan. What have you got?"

"Oh, just a few things." Sheridan was beaming from ear to ear. "Only two. One for you, and one I'll show you all later!" She held out two Pokéballs, an Ultra Ball and a Great Ball, and handed the latter to Casey.
    Besides the XD I can give to the 'I got some thiiiiings~!' comment (oh wait I just did), the fact that an Ultra Ball is held is mentioned twice there... I'd remove the first occurrence of it here.
    For the first time in Casey's life, he wanted to see a Pokémon. And had Casey somehow been reading this and have realized that he honestly did want to see a Pokémon, he would have shrugged it off, once again for the first time.
    Heh. I quite liked this development and change in Caro's thinking - nice moment of character development and all. =)
    Brushing the debris out of his hair as he returned, Caro said flatly, "Casey, do you intend to keep this Pokémon safe and comfortable at all times?"

"Yeah."

"And do you intend to feed it twice a day?"

"Don't Pokémon not need feeding while they're in their Pokéballs?"

"Do you also intend to keep Larvitar out of his Pokéball so that he can truly see the rest of the world in full, living color? And to make sure that whenever he is too tired to walk, he will be carried? And see to it that he will not be used more than your other Pokémon just because he's already out? And ensure that he will be remembered at all times, and never, ever, EVER deposited into the PC?"

There was an extremely uncomfortable silence that ensued.
    XD nice ones, here.
    "Lar lar," said Larvitar firmly, crossing is stubby arms.
    his.
    "Hmm…" Amelia took off the coat and hat and stowed them on a nearby coatrack before returning to her seat.
    coat rack, rather than it as one word I believe? Not 100% sure but word also agrees. =P
    "Oh," he said, considerably less jubilant all of a sudden. "Right. Um… well… like she said, I went traveling a couple years ago. In Sinnoh, with a couple of friends of mine I knew from my old home. Remember I told you about that, Casey? Where I was surrounded by Pokémon literally all the time? I meant it. There were seriously no humans in Treasure Town. Not even me. 'Cause… back in the day, I was a Pikachu. Born and raised."

A general cacophony of interruptions rose up at this point.
    This was not too dissimilar to my reaction either =P Interesting in linking MD into this as well with Caro (amongst other things), I daresay. Such as, say...
    "I'm sorry if I'm missing the significance here…

…But who cares if Caro traveled with a man named Cyrus?"
    Ho boy.
    "Larvitar, keep looking for any early risers, okay?" Casey took out Larvitar's Pokéball and released the Ground-type again. He initially did not look too pleased to be out in the open (Casey had woken him up, the little Ratatta), but upon hearing that they were in a forest with potential victims to be had, all hard feelings were forgotten.
    'The little rattata' expression sounds odd to me… I assume it's Casey being referred to as 'the little rat' on Pokemon terms but even then it sounds a bit odd for me. Maybe consider changing it? *shrugs*
    "I know what you're doing," he snorted, arms crossed impatiently. "Why do you think I guessed you're chasing after a spot in the Hall of Heroes or whatever? No, I know what you guys do. Only Badge twerps run around with three other people in toe behind them. Seriously… I don't know what gets into you people, just following the kid around and begging to be—"
    tow.
    "A rare Pokémon dealer. A large amount of them had crowded around our city in order to partake in some sort of yearly street festival. He was interested in her due to her strange coloration, and offered up a hefty sum for such a shady character…" Solana grinned wickedly. Certainly a change from her previous blank expression, but it worked just as well in the given situation. "No need to worry about her, sir."
    I guessed pretty quickly that this Pokemon would turn up again/already made a hidden appearance… ;P
    Billy froze up for a second, but then relaxed again. "Oh! You were talking about that! Sorry, I didn't quite get what you were thinking about for a minute. Anyway, have any of you guys heard of Hammerspace?"

Giratina chose the worst possible time to intervene. "Oooh, I've heard of it~" she sang softly through the Megaphone Rock. Casey gritted his teeth and ignored her.
    XDDD. Again love the explanations.
    Everyone looked around and finally realized the single word had come from Caro, who had been pretty much ignored up until now in the conversation. Evidently, he just didn't have uch t say…
    much to say.
    See? It really is a name once heard and never forgotten! Or is that a motto once heard? Hmm. Well, anyway, as soon as you read the title all of you who played Ranger knew what was going to be coming up, right?

...Right?
    Having played Ranger 2… maybe? XD I do like the characterisation of the new characters that keep joining the crew though, big and small. You're doing well in keeping everyone in track and introducing them steadily - the personalities are certainly established decently. I like that the Pokemon are slowly getting more of a role as well. Larvitar I'm already liking a lot for instance, as well as the other new arrivals (and the odd mention of Rotom also amuses).
    "Good. We're pretty close to the edge of the woods now, so maybe one of your Pokémon Center things might have an open battlefield out back.."
    Choose between an ellipse or full stop – not in-between (so i.e. 1 or 3 dots =P).
    "Why? What happens then?"

"Um…" Tiffany looked away. "Omigawd (um), you really don't want to know, but (um) if you do he's definitely not going to be in your good books, and (um) he doesn't react well to being called (um) the L word. I mean it. It's like… it's like… oh, what's that literary thingy that people (um) give book characters when they… um… oh yeah. It's like his berserk button. It's bad. Seriously (um) bad. Okay. So don't call him that."

Still struggling to make sense of her detached speech, Casey said, "Um… okay."
    (Um, XD)
    Slakoth staggered to a halt in his crying, dropped to all four paws, and eventually collapsed. Clyde sighed and returned his Pokémon, pocketing the red-and-white Pokéball like the failure of his Pokémon to defeat the other had simply been a bother to him. He went to reach for another one when, much to all of the spectators' surprise (this includes the Trainers in the fight), Poliwag took a giant gasp of air and fainted on the spot.
    I suggest you add that 'in' there. Also I found the battle here rather enjoyable...
    "Yes you would," said Clyde. "Brick Break!"

Vigoroth immediately dived for Rotom, bearing a speed none of the opposition had expected, and promptly began a barrage of punches. Rotom was squealing in pain almost immediately, but Vigoroth paid it no mind and only hopped away after Rotom had been slammed once with each fist. He had hardly returned to his battling position when Casey's command made itself present:
    Considering a normal-type move passed through the ghost Rotom... technically so should fighting type moves as ghost-types have an immunity to those as well. =P Maybe re-consider this part of the fight then - it is my only real qualm with it though. =P
    "WE ARE INSIDE YOUR MIND."

"Okay."

Well, what else was there to say?

"WE ARE LOOKING FOR SOMETHING."

"And what are you looking for?"

"…SOMETHING."
    XDDD this made me laugh a lot, this interchange. XD I can so envision this.

I will note that towards the end of the last so-far-written parts that there were a few jumps between scenes - stuff moved a touch too fast. Namely, when it was revealed that the Mime Jnr. was not just a Mime Jnr (gasp!) but someone's sister as well, I felt there was a lack of time spent on reactions from the characters when they found this out, and a all-too-sudden jump in scene from that to the beginning of the gym building scene - I feel more could be done with the former part.
    After a few minutes in which the only sounds was the Gym Leader's button-mashing, Casey was holding his JAWS once again and blinking confusedly down at the screen. The considerably taller redhead slid over to peer over his shoulder, pointing to prove a point.
    were.
    Suddenly, from some dark alley, there came a rustling. Everyone looked around, thinking it was the Pokémon they were looking for – but it wasn't. Nope. What walked out of the shadows was a man in a telltale BDV cloak, holding a rather heavy-looking suitcase.

"Have fun, kids," the grunt said, setting down the suitcase and running away.

There was barely time to express confusion before Fort Rhion and everyone inhabiting it blew up.
    I'll admit this threw me for a loop seeing the following chapter be the same, etc, so forth, until I thought 'oh hey this may have been posted around april fool's and I was right. =D

To me, the arrival of Mancentric to scare off the stalking group seemed too sudden/random an event to occur - they appeared out of nowhere it felt and seemed a bit too abrupt (a bit like the problems I mentioned early in the fic). But this was the only instance of that in the last 7 or so chapters I believe. =P
    Well, it was red. And yellow. It was a Pokémon, certainly (it was not animal and definitely not human). With spiked fur crowning its head on either side.
    The last sentence sounds a bit choppy there - I'd reword slightly to remove that feel from the paragraph (even if it was intentional I'd still advise to do that).
    "Well, in any case, yes. I want to get there quickly." Casey looked ahead again; no luck this time, either. He said the next line in a considerably lower tone, almost inaudible."Sooner we start, sooner we end…"
    needs a space.
    "Oh, I see," said Clyde in dark tones. "So you're just doing this to please that Giratina chick and then you're going to run off back to your safehaven like nothing even happened? Have you even realized how serious this is?"
    Safe and haven as two words, I believe. And I thought it an interesting mov to have Casey explain all that happened to his fellow travellers now, although the others had made other strange confessions of their own as well.
    "'The Flatlands'. The topography here has been completely boring, but Mirage Forest has been pretty much pushed back to make way for more farmland.."
    Should either be a full stop 91 dot) or an ellipse 9three dots).

And that concludes the quote section. =P Not that much wrong with the last parts, really - this is really going well. Keep it up!

Giratina ♀

what's your sign?
    Years
    • Age 27
    • Seen Jul 23, 2013
    So I see you went and changed the title of the fic. =P
    Fun fact: Wings Have We was the original title of the fic, before it was even posted. When the concept of Holon popped up, I changed it to Delta Species, but I kept on thinking of it as Wings Have We and... yeah. XD

Could technically be one sentence by switching that full stop to a comma...but it *is* ok as-is. Up to you.
    Yes, it was meant to be two sentences. C:

I quite liked this development and change in Caro's thinking
    *Casey. ;D I know their names (and Clyde's, for that matter) are similar, but it's totally unintentional, I swear! XD

XD nice ones, here.
    What can I say? Larvitar is a cruel master.

coat rack, rather than it as one word I believe? Not 100% sure but word also agrees. =P
    Hrm. I always thought of it as coatrack, but that may just be my thing for compound words.

This was not too dissimilar to my reaction either =P Interesting in linking MD into this as well with Caro (amongst other things), I daresay.

Ho boy.
    There are times when having a totally clueless protagonist pays off - that was one of those times.

All credit for that gag goes to Terry Pratchett. |D

Considering a normal-type move passed through the ghost Rotom... technically so should fighting type moves as ghost-types have an immunity to those as well. =P Maybe re-consider this part of the fight then - it is my only real qualm with it though. =P
    Clyde's only Pokémon at that point were Slakoth and Vigoroth. All of Slakoth and Vigoroth's moves are either Normal or Fighting. Guess which two types Rotom is immune to?

To me, the arrival of Mancentric to scare off the stalking group seemed too sudden/random an event to occur - they appeared out of nowhere it felt and seemed a bit too abrupt (a bit like the problems I mentioned early in the fic). But this was the only instance of that in the last 7 or so chapters I believe. =P
    I admit, it was pretty random. That chapter was written veeeeery late at night and I wasn't all there. XD But it was also a very complicated nod to one of my oldest and most-loved (even if it doesn't seem like it) characters in the story, who we should be meeting in a rather short time.

Safe and haven as two words, I believe. And I thought it an interesting mov to have Casey explain all that happened to his fellow travellers now, although the others had made other strange confessions of their own as well.
    Again, compound word fetish. :p Anyway, it was an explanation long overdue anyhow...

Should either be a full stop 91 dot) or an ellipse 9three dots).
    My keyboard has serious issues. D:

Giratina ♀

what's your sign?
    Years
    • Age 27
    • Seen Jul 23, 2013
    {24} high above
    It had come seeking nothing but a friend.

What it found was all manner of clatter and hassle dumped upon it, capture and containment. And now… and now this. And yet, this species was one he was very well-acquainted with – as a matter of fact, he had made a little joke to himself that despite all of the animalistic qualities his superiors possessed, they couldn't break the communication barrier nearly as much or as well as he could. The silver-haired scientist gazed into the glass pod in front of him, looking at the crystal inside almost lovingly; in response, the crystal sparkled in a way that could be compared to an acknowledging but disappointed nod.

They had communicated this way for quite a few weeks now, much to the confusion of their coworkers and the Classifications. The term 'Classifications' was another one of this scientist's personal in-jokes about his superiors, achieved by taking an aspect of their apparent personality and shoving that adjective in with the classification of the long-gone animals. (For the curious: "Kingpin, Filer, Clash, Disorder, Frailty, Genius.")

The scientist found himself humming a tuneless little song as he nodded to the crystal once again and turned back around – and just in time, too. Someone else had entered the room.

"You're… Torsten Lund?" Great, it was an underling. Just what he needed – inexperienced morons prancing around his laboratory. He flicked a lock of white hair out of his ice-blue eyes; dangling strands of hair were not pleasant in his line of work, and goodness knows he needed more grounds for being nagged, ridiculed, and fired.

"I am." He let none of this spite show in his voice.

"Good," said the Grunt, scribbling a few things down on a clipboard she toted around. "We've gotten a few reports that your team has been slacking off…"

"I don't have a team," said Torsten bitterly. "They've all disappeared on me."

"Ouch, that must be tough…" cringed the Grunt, considerably less businesslike with this extremely un-mundane news. "Sorry about that. We'll, uh, work on rounding them up for you."

"Thank you," he grunted, turning away to continue his work. "Though it would probably be better at this point to bring in an entirely new flock."

"We can't afford that," said the Grunt.

"You can afford, four times over, to build a whole maze of spacious hallways that nobody uses," continued Torsten. "Surely you could scrape together a group of scientists for the team of your, ahem, 'important' project?"

"That's what we did last time – and they ran off, like you said. It sounds like you're not very happy with them?"

"I wasn't, but knowing how much you cared about them explains it."

"We'll work on finding your group." The Grunt disappeared.

Torsten rolled his eyes. Unresponsive and unhelpful, per the apparent standard.

He turned back to the crystal, letting out a breath as he did so. "What will they do with you?" he asked the crystal, putting his hands on his hips. "You're so misused here. And then… and then there's that thing…" He turned around and regarded something large and glowing on the other side of the room. The tube of illuminant fluid held a figure floating inside, but it was all but a silhouette among the neon green.

"It's you," he said to the crystal, "but it's artificial. You know that, right?"

The crystal whirred sadly and, just like that, a little cloud of sparkle-dust appeared in the air next to him. The sparkle-dust quivered next to Torsten's ear.

"I thought you would… just making sure."

-

After nodding and smiling to Alonzo and responding helpfully to his questions – Where do you live, why are you traveling, have you seen a mysterious multi-colored blob floating around the shoreline lately, etc. – the two had somehow relocated themselves to the "living room" of Alonzo's admittedly-lofty home, floating somewhere between the outskirts of Epsil Town and the cliffs dangling over the giant nearby lake. Sheridan, Grant, and Caro had distracted themselves by staring in awe at his personal group of Pokémon; many of them were either jaw-droppingly rare or jaw-droppingly Shiny, which naturally had Sheridan plastered all over it.

While they gushed over the Pokémon and Clyde wandered off to do something that didn't involve any actual brain work, Alonzo elaborated on exactly why he found himself here in the first place.

It eventually led into a very simple confession.

"What? Oh, no… you heard that again?" Alonzo chuckled softly to himself. "No, Casey. Sorry to disappoint you, but I'm really not the curator… how did you get that idea?"

"You told me," he replied uncomfortably.

"No I didn't." He looked genuinely confused.

"Yes you did," Casey continued. "When you were going on about how much you liked Glitches."

"When did I do that? It happens all the time…"

It was at that moment that Casey realized, completely out of left field and with nothing to do with the situation at hand, that Alonzo's eyes had changed color.

"You know, back in the museum… you were talking about how big the exhibit was and how it was your fault because it was something you were interested in?"

"I… don't believe I recall," he replied confusedly.

'You definitely said it,' thought Casey, but instead he opted for another subject on the vocal front: "What color are your eyes?"

Alonzo gave him a funny look. "Violet. What's your point?" True to his word, the man's eyes were quite purple.

"Earlier they were yellow," Casey observed blankly.

"Ah." He put one gloved finger to his chin, leaning back in his armchair and looking quite deep in thought. "…You know," he continued after a few minutes, standing up and walking over to the window in his drifting gait. "I've had a couple of people tell me things like that have happened."

"Really." Casey didn't pose it as a question.

"Yes, really," he sighed, putting his hands on his hips. "They tell me that I told them things that both of us know aren't true, or that they saw me doing something I had never done in my life. There's definitely something wrong here, though try as I might I can't find any way to get to the bottom of it…"

"Weird," remarked Casey, who was now occupied with preventing Rotom from getting himself killed.

Alonzo peered out the window. "Oh, it seems your travelling companions have gotten their fill of Pokémon." There was a brief silence. "…Well, thank you for coming in."

The boy nodded and stood up. "And thanks for having me… um, us."

At that moment Sheridan burst in, wearing an expression that the others had long since learned to run away from very, very fast.

She had the Fangirl Eyes.

"That was amazing!" Sheridan practically squealed, prancing over to Alonzo. She would have barreled him right over, too, if Casey hadn't held out an arm and snatched her coat to stop the woman from proceeding any farther. Regardless, Alonzo was startled and took a few steps backward. "I can't believe you have all of those Shiny Pokémon!" continued Sheridan, now in full-tilt gushing mode. "It must have been so hard to get your hands on them all! I'm envious… sooo envious!"

Alonzo chuckled, apparently having composed himself since Sheridan's initial appearance. "I've gotten that quite a lot from others. They're always asking what I had done to my Pokémon to make them look that way…"

Sheridan huffed. "Oh, I know! I can't count the times I've been accused of harming Kaeo just because he's shiny and purple! The nerve of some people!" Her expression suggested that Sheridan intended to continue (possibly with much less acceptable vocabulary), and so Clyde took the opportunity to nod briefly to Alonzo and drag Sheridan out by the arm. Saffron, noticing that her steed had been dragged away, plodded hastily afterwards.

Clyde having (rather rudely) cut the whole discussion short, the remaining three muttered repeated thanks to Alonzo and scrambled out after their companions hoping to reduce the casualties.

Casey had failed to notice that Alonzo's eyes had turned yellow again.

Sheridan was still walking on the clouds when the Groupie Galaxy had hiked down the cliff that Alonzo's house hung precariously upon. Her excitement had dampened slightly – slightly – when they returned to Epsil Town in general, but she was still babbling gaily about all manner of green Zubats the whole way through. Sooner or later the others grew tired of her antics, but didn't really do much to silence her (they much favored the continued utilization of their left hands) until Clyde, again fed up with her acting like an idiot, clapped a hand over her mouth.

Everyone gave him a smile of gratitude. He didn't respond.

Sheridan gave an irritated "mmph", but took the hint.

Eventually, though, the Groupie Galaxy returned to the Pokémon Center relatively unscathed. There they spent a short time organizing their small number of things (Grant yet again taking the job of threatening foreman) and finally managed to get themselves back into the street carrying… well, nothing, thanks again to Clyde.

"You're sure this is safe?" asked Saffron.

"Yeah," remarked Clyde. "It's Hammerspace. Can't be entered by anyone not authorized for that part."

"And who's authorized for your part?" prodded Saffron.

"Billy, Tiffany, and me."

"Nobody else?"

"No." His voice was firm (and quite scary). "Anyway, all your stuff is totally fine, okay? Absolutely nobody will ever have any access to your things except two of my siblings. No matter how technology advances it will never be touched by anyone whose last name isn't Gordon. Anyone." This last part was directed at Grant, who apparently did not trust Hammerspace with the well-being of The Briefcase and insisted on carrying it again.

He merely frowned. "I'd feel better with it in my hand, thanks."

One of his hands was occupied by The Briefcase, the other by The Pipe.

"Uh-huh," remarked Clyde, eyeing the ex-Grunt and his amusingly-capitalized luggage with a similar expression. "Suit yourself if you want to drag around that stuff."

"I will, thanks."

Sensing the obvious tension between them, Caro cleared his throat – and immediately regretted it. All eyes turned on him, two pairs of them not looking all too pleased for interrupting their bickering. This forced Caro to look around, trying to find some way to justify his minor outburst – fortunately, he found it in the form of a giant thing in the sky.

"What's that?" he asked, pointing.

Sheridan looked up. "It's a Pokémon, duh."

"Sure doesn't look like any Pokémon I've seen." The body of the unidentified flying object looked thin as a twig, with long and short spikes sticking out on either side. The wings were mere lines, like someone took a Zubat's wings and removed the skin from them. "Looks like a skeleton to me."

"Well then maybe it's a skeletal Pokémon!" gasped Grant in mock surprise.

"Name one moving skeletal Pokémon with wings," retorted Clyde.

"Aerodactyl!"

"Aerodactyl doesn't move when it's just a skeleton, moron."

"Guys, cut it out," grumbled Caro. "I'm more interested in that not-Aerodactyl than you arguing."

This actually worked – primarily because both parties had stopped arguing and were now glaring at Caro with fierce intensity. The teenager didn't respond to this, and instead directed his attention back towards the flying thing. It had been going in the opposite direction than they had, back toward Epsil Town. He simply turned and watched as the thin creature soared above the town, circled a certain area, and made a steep descent.

"What was that?" asked Casey.

Rotom chirped almost immediately. "I'll go see!"

"No, Rotom, you don't have to…"

Casey cut his sentence short. It was too late; Rotom had already disappeared in pursuit of the mystery Pokémon.

"He won't be coming back for a while, will he?" asked Sheridan.

"No," sighed Casey. "Probably not. Let's go."

And with an unspoken agreement everyone trudged back towards Epsil Town, with only Grant moaning that they were already off schedule.

After scrambling down a few ridiculously steep cliffs, the Groupie Galaxy found Rotom again. He was floating above a lake, gazing across it in a way that could perhaps be called deep had this not been Rotom we're talking about. He noticed their presence almost immediately and swiveled around, plasma-eye wide in awe.

"It went into the lake!" the Pokémon screeched worriedly.

"Into… the lake." Casey's eyes drifted out to the water. It seemed relatively skeletal-monster-free. "Did it come out?"

"No!" wailed Rotom. "It just… went under the water and never came out! It was freaky!" Beast's eyes and mouth – much like Rotom's – were wide open in panic, making the whole thing look absolutely ridiculous.

Clyde grumbled something about how "some people would find YOU freaky". Rotom didn't seem to notice, though, as he had occupied himself by pleading to Casey to deal with the situation at hand.

"Do something!" he wailed. "Fix it!"

Casey stared back at him. "…You should've learned by now that I can't fix everything by willing it, you know."

"You can try!" Rotom pouted.

His Trainer felt the waterworks – plasmaworks? – coming on, and so before Rotom had a chance to douse him with a gallon of likely-toxic plasma tears, Casey sighed and said, "Alright, I'll try."

"Yay!" Rotom returned to hovering around his head.

"Well, that wasn't unusual at all," said a voice from behind them. Upon turning around, they all discovered that it was Alonzo again. Most of the group chirped greetings, but Casey remained silent. This was primarily because he was the only one who even faintly recognized the significance of the man's eye color.

They were yellow.

Today's installment is a Very Special Chapter.
    Do you know whyyyy?
    Well, because for the first time ever, this fic right here is being beta'd. So everyone go and send virtual flowers to our very own bobandbill. C:

Giratina ♀

what's your sign?
    Years
    • Age 27
    • Seen Jul 23, 2013
    {25} any way you've got to

Alonzo's expression wasn't at all the warm smile many of them had become accustomed to; it was very much emotionless, with the vaguest possible shadow of a frown. The Groupie Galaxy's overall cheery disposition was quickly snuffed out at the sight of his serious-business face, though, and the bemused posture wasn't helping all that much either. As if that wasn't enough to suggest that something was off, there was another air of unnaturalness about him that Casey didn't believe was a good thing. Indeed, every aspect of Alonzo Daly suggested exactly the opposite of what they had seen of him up until that point.

Casey had no doubt in his mind that it was because of the eyes.

"What are you doing here?" he asked.

All thought processes turned on Casey, and he realized almost at once that he was the person expected to speak. It was his Pokémon, after all. Instead, the boy said: "I could ask you the same thing."

"I live around here," he grunted. "What of you all?"

"Rotom followed a strange thing in the sky back here," said Casey. "We all agreed – well, most of us agreed – that it looked like a skeleton." He paused. "Interesting, isn't it?"

Alonzo faltered. "Wh-where did you see this?"

"Ask Rotom." Casey pointed to the Pokémon in question, who was now floating aimlessly around having lost all will to search for the strange new thing. Upon noticing that he had been referenced, the Pokémon stopped in his tracks and said, "Huh?" in the cutest possible way.

It didn't work.

Alonzo sighed. "No matter," he said, shaking his head. And then: "I'm afraid I must ask you to leave."

This made everyone hesitate, but almost immediately someone objected to his idea. "Why should we?" insisted Caro and Casey in tandem. (Clyde was a little late to the punch.) They were all sufficiently unnerved by this strange man's double-sided personality, and following orders from him was totally out of the question.

"Because," he said matter-of-factly, "I told you to leave."

Nobody wanted to sound childish by retorting "You can't tell me what to do!", but then again, the common protest did have a good point. For that reason, everyone thought the phrase as hard as they could and took up a pose that implied that he most certainly was not the boss of them. Regardless, Alonzo put his hand on his hip and looked at them as if to say "I'm waiting", and the stalemate commenced from there.

Saffron coughed.

Immediately all eyes turned on her; each one was set to "Glare". Saffron made a little whimpering noise and fell silent.

Attention returned to the opposing side in the argument, and they continued to watch one another stubbornly until Alonzo pointed a finger in the general direction of "out". His expression (and the excessively violent pointing motion) suggested that it would be an extraordinarily good idea to comply.

"Leave," he repeated.

Casey opened his mouth.

"Just for your records, this is private property. Mine." The Groupie Galaxy deflated quickly from there, and after some more of Freakazoid Hair's prompting, they left in a procession of grumbling.

"Jerk!" concluded Saffron as soon as they were out of earshot.

"There had to be something wrong with him," said Grant. "Otherwise why would he be acting so differently today than yesterday?"

"It's the eyes." Casey said this under his breath, barely loud enough for he himself to hear. Regardless, Caro caught it, and gave him a funny look.

"The eyes," Caro repeated.

"Yep," said Casey, having given up trying to hide what he said. "The eyes. See him once he's got purple eyes, see him again and they're yellow. He can't remember what he did in each eye color when he's in the other, to boot. That sounds pretty strange, doesn't it?"

Saffron didn't look particularly convinced, and perhaps even worried. "Are you sure?" she asked, even though the question she wanted to ask was, "Are you insane?" When Casey shook his head, she felt a little better, but not by much.

"Oh, come on," snorted Clyde. "It's a trick of the light or something."

"Doesn't explain his identity as museum curator one minute and random Epsil Town resident the next." Casey had apparently forsaken his unsure thoughts within the last three minutes – they were replaced with the diabolical thoughts of an idea so ridiculous it might actually be insane. Maybe.

Grant and Sheridan shared a look.

There was a short pause, and then Caro said, "You really think so?"

"Yes."

"Well then we're going to turn around right now and investigate." Caro stopped in his tracks and crossed his arms, giving everyone else a grin that suggested that if they enjoyed feeling like they had no relevance in the world, then sure they could oppose him. Otherwise, though, they might as well suck it up and follow him, because when you give a Caro an objective he's gonna get it done.

This attitude, unfortunately, was not infectious.

"What?" everyone else chorused.

"You said there's something wrong," said Caro. "So go see if there's something wrong."

Casey blinked.

"Oh, come on!" he huffed. "You're not going to run off knowing there's something wrong here, are you?" There was silence there – but Casey didn't object, regardless if everyone else did, so Caro saw it as a personal victory. "Yeah, that's right," he continued. "Go. Turn around. Fix it, won't you?"

Casey, much as he hated to admit it, was stumped.

There was a silence, in which everyone else inched slowly away from Caro. He either didn't notice or didn't care, because his cocky grin remained focused on the startled expression now taking up Casey's face. It remained that way for a second. A minute. Then… oh, hey wait, it was changing. Twitching, more like.

…No, here comes the changing. His lips were turning up at the edges, and within a matter of minutes he was giving Caro an incredulous grin. And he said:

"You are an idiot."

And then:

"Let's go."

At that moment, Caro didn't notice the death glares that the rest of the group were giving him. People always glared at you when you get a personal victory against something, yes? So he said:

"So are you."

And then:

"Awesome."

Within the hour they were sneaking around Alonzo's basement.

Casey was sitting in a counterproductively dark corner, reading a book. Actually, so were Caro, Grant, and Sheridan (Saffron perched on her shoulder). Regardless of how silly this seemed in contrast to the epic pep talk that Caro had delivered a while earlier, they were all searching for some scribbled margin comment, some forgotten reminder note, anything that was going to help them get to the bottom of Alonzo Daly. It was increasingly easy, Casey noticed, to forget that he was trespassing into the basement and library of a random adult who he barely knew, because Mewdangit he was going to get to the bottom of this.

He placed the book he was just holding and had consequently deemed empty onto the floor, making quite sure to set it down on a very fluffy area of carpet so as to make as little noise as possible.

"I'm not getting anywhere," he whispered.

"Agreed," breathed Clyde, who was standing in the corner with his arms crossed and a disapproving look on his face.

With that sour note tossed into the budding conversation, everyone was silenced again, and the arduous task of reading through a year's worth of books in a much shorter period of time commenced. Everyone except Sheridan was speed-reading – the woman in question was apparently reading through a purple book with great gusto, and she certainly didn't look like she was speed-reading.

And then she said, "I found something."

Everyone perked up immediately at the thought of some ticket out of here (for one reason or another) and scampered over as silently as they could. Sheridan was pointing proudly to a certain paragraph in her book, which was one of the tomes whose print was so tiny that only someone with unusual eyes could read it. After squinting and looking closer, everyone got the general meaning, and when they had did that they looked at Sheridan like she was some sort of god.

"He did say he was interested in MissingNo., didn't he?" she asked.

"Yeah," replied Casey. "He did." He continued to look at the few sentences.

MissingNo. is unusual compared to many other Glitch-types for quite a few reasons, among them being a vaguely plausible form (similar to that of a Haunter), but perhaps the strangest is its ability to enter others' minds and manipulate them. Unless MissingNo. has been observing the subject for a while before entering their minds in their sleep, he has no way of recalling what their previous mannerisms or memories are, so he tends to make things up out of whole cloth. Aside from the previous mention, there is practically one way to tell if one has been manipulated for this Glitch Pokémon's own ends, and it is one you can only notice over time. The subject's eyes are prone to change color, alternating between their normal hue and a startling yellow. Not "hazel", but "yellow" – regardless of how this sounds in a book, you will know it when you see it.

Sheridan was grinning. She was alone in that respect.

"Um," said Casey.

There was a unanimous, worried glance to the ceiling.

Then Caro said, "We've got to do something about this."

"Do we really?" asked Clyde.

"We do." Casey answered him with a glance almost hidden by his remarkably large bangs, then returned to reading. "Does it say anything about getting it out?"

Sheridan shut the book and gulped. "Well, yes…"

"What is it?" whispered everyone else in unison.

The blonde woman sighed and looked down at the tome in her hands. "…Hey, have any of you ever performed an exorcism?"

"An exorcism," repeated Clyde with a raised eyebrow.

"Are you serious?" hissed Grant worriedly. "We've got to perform an exorcism on this man? But that's… how do we even do that?"

"Quiet." Sheridan stood up, dusted off her coat, and handed the book to Clyde. "We'll figure out the details later, but for now, I think we have some work to do. Clyde, put this in Hammerspace for me. We need to formulate a plan."

"This is unbelievable," moaned Casey in as quiet a voice he could, being quite possible the only one who remembered that they were hiding out in a brain-controlling fiend's basement. "Was there ever any mention of an exorcism in the job description?"

Caro looked down at him. "Of course there was," he said with a sort of wily amusement. "It was under the part that said 'Anything can – and will – happen'."

"Oh! Right." He did not remember that part at all.

The group scrambled out of Alonzo's basement via the same open window (his home was built on unlevel ground – who knew?) they had come in through without any further hitches. As a matter of fact, they were all back in the sacred Epsil Town Pokémon Center before somebody – in this case, Clyde – sat up in their wonderfully cushy armchair and asked the forbidden question.

"…How are we supposed to do an exorcism?"

Casey heard a giggling originating from somewhere in the area of his throat. He glanced downward and then, immediately and without questioning why, he knew. He was going to do an exorcism, because the almighty Giratina – the only creature he knew with a readily accessible means of contact with Arceus – was going to help.

I sat back in my swivel chair of destiny and cackled once again into the Megaphone Rock.

Zero was standing (er, levitating) beside me. He was not staring at me with the stare of someone who has just realized his co-worker was insane; he was staring at me with the stare of someone who had realized his co-worker was insane a long, long time ago. He had overheard the entire conversation just as loudly as I had, and when I looked at him out of the corner of my eye he put up his arms in a frail attempt to keep out of it.

"I refuse to take part in this," he offered.

"We may need you."

"Regardless, I refuse."

I turned on him, giving the assistant a disappointed frown. "Zero," I said seriously, "you also refused to take part in deleting the Megarig, and look where that got you."

He scowled. "…Shaddup."

I made a sarcastic grunt and turned back to the Dea Procol Machina, and in extension the Megaphone Rock. "Listen up, kiddo," I informed Casey. "What time is it?"

"Oh," said Casey, looking up at the sky on my monitor. "Hm. Maybe around five?"

"Close enough," I remarked. "Just look around and wait a while in there. I'll send help, and when she comes just explain the situation." I paused, and then added: "She likely wouldn't listen to me."

"What's her name?"

"You'll know her when you see her," I confided. "Sheridan will, at least." I dropped the Megaphone Rock to the lovely sound of Casey protesting. I smirked as a gray fedora spontaneously appeared on my head, covering the ornate golden headpiece already on it with only minor casualties.

"Trust me here."

I then grabbed a very odd-looking metal object from a hook hanging from the Dea Procol Machina. Zero, once again, looked confused; in his defense, though, it did bear a remarkable similarity to a key-ring. Fiddling through the various little charms on it – a volcano, then a pink flower, then a lightning bolt – I finally settled on the right one, a cute little crescent moon, held it between two of my fingers, and swiped a hole in the air.

Zero watched silently (having grown accustomed to this sort of thing) as the tear turned slowly rounder until it was a perfect circle.

"Yes?" inquired the figure on the other end.

"I've got a favor for you," I replied coolly. "It's for a friend, you'll understand…"

She listened silently while I explained the situation, after which she regarded me with a highly bemused look in her eyes. "Giratina, this is a large undertaking," she said. "It will not be easy, even for somebody such as myself. It is dangerous and has potentially lethal consequences for all involved. It may just move the parasite to some other host where he will continue to wreak havoc, it may anger Arceus that we performed this operation without his consent, and quite frankly, I just got back from Canalave and I am very tired."

"I know, but you're the only one who can do it and he won't shut up until I help." Okay, so I was stretching the truth. A little. But it was all for a good cause anyway!

"…Fine," she grumbled.

A few minutes later, Casey was standing nose-to-nose with the extraordinarily pointy muzzle of Cresselia.

Giratina ♀

what's your sign?
    Years
    • Age 27
    • Seen Jul 23, 2013
    {26} who you gonna call?

Despite the gasping and hasty dropping-to-knees of the other witnesses to Cresselia's appearance, Casey didn't do anything immediately. He didn't do anything later on, actually; all he did was stare into the glistening and somewhat beady eyes of the Legendary opposite. Through the lack of distinct irises and pupils, Casey could see that she wasn't amused.

"I was sent here on behalf of the Celestial Librarian*," said Cresselia, and then, "You may get to your feet."

The other four got up and dusted themselves off, each in varying degrees of embarrassment. A few of them shot surprised looks at Casey, but then realized that he probably failed to understand that he was standing in front of the sacred personification of the Moon and not just another silly-looking monster he'd never seen before. Cresselia herself didn't seem to get this, and her (inappropriately) stoic expression took on a small hint of confusion.

"Do you not know who I am?" she asked.

"I know you're a friend of Giratina," Casey offered, having already realized that it was the wrong answer by process of elimination – she had a name (probably something silly like Vilkodaz the Radiant), since evidently she was quite happy to kill her throat for the sake of sounding important.

Cresselia stared at him. "…You know who she is and not me? You are a straaange young man."

Casey decided that it wouldn't be wise to comment on this.

The Harbinger of the Beautiful Dreams continued. "Upon the request of the Celestial Librarian – Giratina, as you call her – I have been sent here to help with… an exorcism." She looked around. "According to her, the demon in question possesses humans through their dreams…?"

"That's right," said Sheridan, stepping forward with a small bow. "MissingNo. is its name."

"MissingNo.!" gasped Cresselia. "Not the one who we imprisoned on Cinnabar Island?"

"Are there any others?" asked Clyde.

"No!"

Clyde made a gesture with his head to indicate that she had answered her own question. The concerned Lunar Levitator backed up a few inches, looking around worriedly. "Where is MissingNo.? How did he—how did it escape?"

"We don't know," said Casey. "But however it did that, it's come here and caused mayhem under the identity of the person who lives in that house." He pointed to the dwelling in question, which was still dangling nearly over the cliff face as it had always done. "The guy's name is Alonzo Daly."

"Alonzo Daly," repeated Cresselia musingly, following his finger. "I see. Well, if you'll excuse me…"

She backed up some more and, without further explanation, turned into a human being.

She was now a woman in her mid-fifties, wearing a kimono with plenty of dangling strips of multicolored cloth and an extensive collection of yellow beads (shaped primarily like circles or crescent moons). Some of the beads seemed to have fallen off, noticed Casey, leaving their silver tops without a bottom. (It made one wonder why she wore such a beautiful outfit and leave the beads out.)

"We Legendaries are capable of taking human forms, you'll understand," she said, flipping a lock of gray-streaked lavender hair from her face. "In case we need to handle business with mortals… how is you put it? Margorito?"

"Incognito," pointed out Saffron.

"Yes, incognito. Thank you, dearie." She gave the Mime Jr. a little smile, and everyone else felt slightly cheated that she was acting so reserved and impassive due to their species. "As I was saying," continued Cresselia with an extravagant roll of the head, "Legendaries do need to hold discussions with human beings while not being openly displayed as Legendary, and so of course we all had to choose genders for that…" She laughed. "So of course I am female now and was genderless then."

"Understandable, um…" began Casey, who suddenly failed to remember her name. He had a feeling it had something to do with her thing for stressed syllables.

"Oh!" said Cresselia. She had apparently warmed up to all of them by then, now that she had assured herself that none of them sought to exploit her feathers for fun and profit. "Good point, there. You need a human name for me, don't you? Pleeease, call me Diane." She, realized Casey, had missed the point completely.

Everyone nodded. A few said, "Hello, Diane."

"No. Diane."

"Hello, Diane."

Cresselia nodded pleasantly and looked back towards the building where MissingNo. hid; Casey suddenly realized how scary it looked when hit with just the right angle of light. "I believe we should get down to the chaaase on this MissingNo. problem?"

The others understood her incorrect lingo shortly after (the delay primarily because of her silllllllll—oh, excuse me, her silly accent), but for that moment they just nodded and gave murmurs of approval.

Cresselia clapped her hands as she walked – drifted almost, under the kimono – towards the Daly house, expecting the others to follow her. Finding no other logical manner to proceed, they did. And so began the procession, peppered evenly and heartily with the amusingly-pronounced jabbering of their Legendary tour guide. Eventually, though, they actually got to the point in every navigational expedition where people realize that this is Serious Business.

Cresselia continued to talk.

Casey thought he was ready to pull a van Gogh. If only wooded areas had a readily available supply of razor blades.

Fortunately, they eventually found their way – after quite a lot of pointing and consulting various types of tree – to their destination, and it was there where Grant helpfully realized that they had no way to get in now that they had ransacked the basement. Surely he had noticed that, right?

"Oh, you humans are so siiiiiiilly," gushed Cresselia. "We're going to teleport our way in!"

"Ah," said Grant, with the deadpan voice of someone whose brain had, just for a second, been dangerously close to giving up entirely. "Of course. You're a Legendary."

"Yeah." Clyde added on to Grant's intentionally-subtle discussion with his own unique brand of obnoxiousness. "Of course, us mortals are so far below that level of thinking. Whatever did we do without you, Cresselia?"

"Diane."

"Cresselia."

Cresselia huffed and transported the group inside, turning away from the ex-Quad with a distinct frown on her face. "How old is he?" Casey heard her mutter. "So disrespectful!"

At that moment, Sheridan coughed. "Excuse me," she said. "I believe we failed to think over some things in this plan."

"It's simple, Sheridan!" exclaimed Caro. "We go in, Cr—um, Diane puts him to sleep, she exorcises MissingNo., we walk away! What is there to think over?"

"What we do with MissingNo.," offered Casey.

"Pfft!" snorted Cresselia, waving an arm. "I can handle that." Without another word, she stretched out her arms. The wind picked up, and it made a cacophony of noises that sounded vaguely like music. She watched with amusement as the others' faces screwed up in various caricatured expressions.

Having found themselves in a considerably nice-looking room that everyone agreed from previous experiences to be the front hall, Cresselia immediately brought herself up to her full height and frowned disapprovingly at the furniture. "Comeeeee oooout, you!" she barked to the emptiness, leaving the Groupie Galaxy to watch in silent confusion. She continued at this for a couple of minutes, until the spell wore off and she brushed non-existent dust off her kimono huffily.

"No respect!" she repeated.

Just as she finished commenting on the politeness of thirty-somethings today, there was an ominous whoosh of fabric from somewhere behind all of them. They turned around at once to face down Alonzo; the whoosh was his olive green longcoat, complying with its owner's wish to abruptly stop walking down the staircase.

This time, nobody failed to notice his yellow eyes.

"MissingNo.!" she barked. "What is the meaning of this?"

"I'm sorry, what?" asked MissingNo., raising an eyebrow. "I don't think I can understand you through the… accent."

"She's asking what you're doing," said Saffron helpfully.

"Ah. Thank you. Well…" MissingNo. leaned on the staircase railing, regarding them with a look of disdain. "I'm afraid that I'm not—"

"You can stop now," offered Casey. "We know you're trying to impersonate him."

MissingNo. gave Casey a ferocious glare. "What are you talking about?" He kept this up for another few seconds, but eventually the hostile expressions everyone else was wearing won over him. "…How did you find out?"

"By reading stuff in y- Alonzo's library," said Saffron with a smug overtone. She crossed her arms and stared expectantly at him.

Internally, everyone groaned.

"Listen," said Cresselia. "I am here to put a stop to your antics."

MissingNo. nodded. "Oh. You are, are you?" He continued down the staircase, walking slowly as if trying to mock them somehow. "I bet you were sent here by the higher-ups, to get rid of me once and for all. They certainly didn't tell you much." He chuckled at the bottom of the staircase. By now he was regarding them as less than minor difficulties – details almost – and that fact was evident in his grin. "Considering that they've been calling this 'once and for all' about thirty times."

"Save it." Sheridan didn't look pleased. "We don't want to hear your childish taunting, okay?"

"What, you don't?" MissingNo. put a hand to his chest. "You pain me, Sheridan."

Cresselia turned to her for a moment before returning focus to the situation at hand. "Cover your eyes," she said simply. And, after making quite sure they did, she transformed back into her original form with much shimmering and grinding of carpet underfoot.

"Aw, and that was new, too," complained MissingNo.

Cresselia regarded him with a death glare and waited.

There was a second's pause – this was apparently all MissingNo. needed to assure himself that he was to make the first move. After that happened, something extraordinarily strange began to happen to his body. It got suddenly jerky for a few seconds, and after that simply collapsed at the foot of the stairs.

Everyone moved forward to react when Cresselia silenced them with a dramatic swish of her tail. "Watch," she commanded.

They watched.

Out of Alonzo's body seeped an unhealthy-looking gas. After a blob large enough to blot out everything behind it had been accumulated, the orb spawned two hands that zoomed out from its body as if connected by invisible arms. From the inky darkness in the middle opened two eyes which were an uncomfortable shade of yellow, with no pupils. Under that, a mouth of the same color opened like something ripped off a deranged purple Glameow. Overall, the sort of thing you would expect to see floating around Pokémon Tower, except… worse.

"Here you see his battle position," relayed Cresselia flatly, as if she were teaching an extraordinarily boring school lesson. "He can fire water and dive-bomb from the sky, but that's it."

"I take offense to that!" snapped MissingNo., waving one of his detached hands angrily. "Generalizing powers like that is awful for your karma!"

"What would you know about karma?" snorted Clyde. "You're a… you're a body-stealing… thing."

MissingNo.'s response was to fire a Water Gun at him.

"Oh, very tasteful," grunted the aforementioned god of sarcasm after trying to run and subsequently getting doused. He got up, tried to wring out his coat, failed, and simply stood there, looking up at MissingNo. with one eyebrow raised.

MissingNo. sent another one into his face.

"Mmph!" Clyde thought it wise to not scream out loud when water was being shoved at his face, but apparently he had already begun to say something and that… thing was the result. Perhaps Clyde should learn to keep his mouth shut?

"Well, if you can fly and shoot water, then you must be a Flying- or Water-type!" cawed Caro in immense triumph. "Which means…" He whipped out a Pokéball and tossed it onto the ground, releasing his infamous Pokémon doppelganger. With a sharp-toothed smirk of triumph, he pointed one finger to the sky and bellowed:

"THUNNNNNDAHBOLT!" **

While everyone else was recovering from the system shock this battle cry generated, Raichu wasted no time in releasing a crackling, lethal-looking lance of thunder at MissingNo., who responded with a wail and another Water Gun. (Clyde cringed.) Cresselia, amazingly, looked impressed (or so they thought – it was hard to get any facial expression under the pointy snout).

"Well," she said. "MissingNo. is a Bird-type."

"Flying," corrected Sheridan.

"Bird." Cresselia looked up at MissingNo., who had now waged in total war with Raichu. The two were sending thunderbolts, water blasts, and their own bodies against one another, and the competition looked to be evenly matched. "We don't know what else to classify it. It has neither weakness nor resistance, and there's no other type like it… but its closest relative is Flying, as you said."

"Who exactly studies this thing?" asked Grant.

"Arceus' scientific team, of course," said Cresselia primly. "They are quite good at what they do. Without the help of them and the mechanics, the world as we know it would surely—"

"Oh, the Arcanines!" said Caro, turning away from Raichu's fight.

"Yes," said Cresselia deflatedly. "The Arcanines."

MissingNo., sensing his per-second attention quota was dropping to unacceptable levels, immediately set to work fixing this. Tragically, he couldn't seem to gather any more attention by the "Oh really, you're looking for me" setup Cresselia had brought into effect, so he decided to take the direct approach.

Clyde (who had just finished wringing out his coat) was re-introduced to the wonders of showering six times a day. He did not find it wonderful.

"I'm sorry, do you mind?" asked Casey.

"Mind what?" replied the Glitch innocently.

"We're trying to have a conversation here."

"Oh. Well excuse me. I hate to interrupt your epic midnight mission to, you kn—"

"Whoa."

MissingNo. froze.

So did everyone else. Clyde stopped wringing out his coat again. Someone had clearly said 'Whoa', but the thing was, they didn't seem to have anyone else around. Why, if word of this got out, it would—

"WHOA!"

The whole group looked around wildly, minds whirling to organize what had just happened – and, more importantly, who had made it happen. Finally, MissingNo. bothered to look down.

He said, "Oh."

Yo.
    So, I hate to sound like I'm begging for attention or something, but do you guys think you could try and leave a little feedback when you read the new chapters? I know somebody does read it besides me, and even a "cool story, write more" would suffice... well, no it wouldn't according to the rules, but you get my point. XD

* Who, as a side note, would like to apologize for Cresselia's exceptionally irritating habit of over-stressing syllables. She doesn't seem to do it when she's in her true form, but there's something about human vocal chords that mess up her speech. I'm just relaying the facts here.
    ** If you're crazy enough to try and pronounce this, remember to change the last 't' into 'tuh' as if releasing air from your mouth. Also, yes, it's DAHBOLT. Not DERBOLT. DAHBOLT.

Last edited:

Giratina ♀

what's your sign?
    Years
    • Age 27
    • Seen Jul 23, 2013
    {27} invaders! encroachers!

MissingNo. and Alonzo remained in their positions, staring at one another noiselessly for what seemed to be a long time. Finally, MissingNo. got his act together and said, "I was never here. Forget you ever saw me."

"…But…" spluttered Alonzo, clearly unable to fathom waking up from what was a very nice nap to find the subject of his obsession hovering over him. "…but you're… you're MissingNo.!"

"He is also a thief," said Cresselia in perfect deadpan. "Of bodies. Including yours, Mister… Daly, was it?" Alonzo looked over to find a Cresselia staring back at him from halfway across the room – if MissingNo.'s appearance didn't wake him up completely, that certainly did. He blinked at her, swiped at his eyes, looked again, and then decided that his eyes weren't playing tricks on him and that he really had died.

Of course, then he saw the Groupie Galaxy, and he realized that this was not a vision.

What would those travelers be doing in an otherworldly dream, anyway?

"Well," said Alonzo. He was trying desperately not to make a fool of himself in front of two of the most powerful beings on Earth. "I hope you don't mind me asking, but what on Earth is going on here?" He tried to stand up, but when Cresselia twitched her neck he decided that maybe that wasn't such a good idea. Instead, he resolved to listening while sitting on the floor.

"To put things short…" began Casey. He had to pause there, because he really couldn't find a way to explain what was going on. "Um, do you remember those times when you were doing stuff you didn't seem to remember doing, and how people commented on your eyes changing color?"

"I do," said Alonzo suspiciously.

"That was this guy taking over your body." Caro chose now to cut in, pointing at MissingNo. for dramatic effect. Alonzo looked upwards at the giant ball of mass, apparently trying to piece together what he had just said. Finally, the man came to a conclusion and voiced his thoughts intelligently and clear as crystal.

"…Really?"

"No," said MissingNo.

"Yes," said everyone else.

Alonzo wisely chose to trust the mob, and looked up at MissingNo. again with a very different expression on his face. "Why is this?"

MissingNo. didn't respond.

Casey half-expected Sheridan to demand an answer out of the gaseous ball of matter, but no protest came. He tried to glance at her, but found out that she was not in the position he thought she was in. Casey turned the other direction – nothing there, either. He didn't randomly shout out "Hey, where's Sheridan!?" in the middle of what was going on in front of him, but he returned to his previous position feeling pretty crummy.

"Well?" asked Alonzo once more. "I expect an answer from you."

"Or what?" asked MissingNo., taking a swipe at Alonzo with one of his detached arms. It passed right through his chest, but managed to give the man a spook. MissingNo.'s mouth curled into even deeper amusement as he listened to Alonzo squeak, but a second later he glided backwards so that they could look at one another with nothing obstructing the view.

"You were just in the right place at the right time," said MissingNo simply. "I didn't care whether it was you or a passing Articuno, don't get me wrong, but nobody visits the southern shores of Cinnabar Island anymore. It was very simple, you'll understand – take the body of a random passerby, get back to the mainland, escape."

Alonzo didn't look happy. Neither, for that matter, did MissingNo. The others… well, they felt this was probably some sort of corrupted personal matter and wisely decided to keep silent for fear of getting doused (again).

"However," continued MissingNo. while showing no signs of stopping, "I was out of practice at the time; as I said, nobody ever visited south Cinnabar since the Mansion burned. Said it was haunted or somesuch… visions of an enormous Haunter demon on the coast didn't help anyone, now did they?" MissingNo. waved his hands around; his face, which had been ever-so-slightly bitter the minute before, broke out into another sinister grin.

"Oh yes, it was very pleasant down there, nothing but myself and a little apparition I made. However… it did get boring with nobody to talk to." MissingNo. gave a fake swoon. "The Pokémon couldn't understand me! The humans didn't dare come near! It was a dragging existence, I tell you." MissingNo. paused. (It was here Casey finally realized that he was taking utter joy in this monologue.) "But lo! One day you wandered along and I saw a beautiful opportunity. I say 'beautiful' in reference to the opportunity, taking into account your hair."

Alonzo's expression darkened further.

"Yes, that was a… minor inconvenience," noted the Glitch wispily. MissingNo. either didn't notice or didn't pay attention to Alonzo. "Overall, though, a fantastic deal! And yet… there was something wrong. Can you guess what that is?" MissingNo. ducked and leaned closer in to Alonzo, who faced him with a sturdy expression and yet remained silent. MissingNo. made a tsk-tsk noise and returned to his original position. "No? Oh well. The problem was, I couldn't quite keep you under a leash." MissingNo. tilted to the side and regarded Alonzo with head-shaking disappointment. "Apparently your soul was resisting. And me, being as out of practice as I am, I couldn't find a way to shut you up!"

"So why didn't you leave when you got to Vermillion?" asked Alonzo.

"And another thing," said MissingNo. "I figured that living as a human – through you – was much more appealing as a life choice than being a ten-foot-tall bubble of purple fog." MissingNo. regarded himself with a sweep of the hand. "Trust me, if you were put through what I was, you would sympathize completely. Anyhow, I remained dormant in your body for a while until you got back into the 'swing' of things…"

"And then you took over," finished Alonzo.

"No," said MissingNo pleasantly. "I began beating you down in preparation for taking over."

Alonzo's expression implied that he wanted to respond to this with a sarcastic "Oh, of course" but obviously thought better of it. In any case, he wasn't a happy camper – and all admiration for the Glitch in front of him had long since evaporated.

MissingNo. turned his body ever so slightly, to imply looking up at the others. "Of course, then these meddling humans came trooping in with a goddess, and I felt that maybe I ought to get going, hmm?" MissingNo. began to back away from everyone present, the smile on his face misleadingly sincere. "It was a great time meeting you all, really it was. So I'll just be leaving."

And he almost got away with it too, if not for yet another meddling mortal.

The double doors to the front hall flew open and in soared a giant teal monster – somewhere between wildcat and bear – with insanely large feathered wings. Small, light blue wings fluttered from each of its broad paws, and there were similarly-colored patches of fur on its body. As it blasted in, the entire group was subjected to an immense tidal wave of sparklies that could come only from the strange creature in the corridor.

And then, a few seconds later, the silhouette of a Drowzee and a woman in a billowing coat appeared in the door.

Sheridan stood there with her arms crossed, smirking. Kaeo, standing beside her, retained his perpetual bored expression, but turned to the winged bear-cat and nodded. The creature roared happily in response before… disappearing into the air. A second later MissingNo. recoiled with a scream and the Pokémon was flying in the air, each immense wingbeat sending a mini-tornado in all directions.

Temporarily ignoring the fact that this creature had recently come stomping in and destroyed his front hall, Alonzo beamed, eyes sparkling. "Aeveon!"

The creature roared in response.

MissingNo. made a screeching battle cry and fired a Water Gun (miraculously, not at Clyde). Aeveon took the hit and dropped itself gracefully to the ground, handling its bulky body with utmost ease. It leaped back into the air and swung one feathery wing like a fan, sending a scythe of air – an Air Slash, as it were – hurtling towards MissingNo.

In deft response, MissingNo. whirled out of the way of the Air Slash and sent himself hurtling towards Aeveon, the normal purple haze mixing with the blue mist that came with his Sky Attack.

"This is the strooonger of his attacks!" called Cresselia, who had recently returned to human form. Because MissingNo. had escaped Alonzo's body on his own before she could exorcise and relocate him properly, her entire purpose had been defeated and she now stood as the lone lady in a kimono. And now, as MissingNo. and Aeveon – who, by the trail of sparkle dust he left behind, was obviously Shiny – continued to trade blows, all she could do was clasp her hands together and inform Arceus that one of his difficulties had escaped.

In truth, she should have been doing it before, but like the rest of the Groupie Galaxy she realized that praying out loud to Arceus in the middle of a serious catching-up discussion was probably not that safe. Now though, considering nobody could hear themselves think over the din and was therefore much more appropriate for prayer, she did what she should have done a long time ago. Besides, this was growing into quite a dangerous matter, and if any humans came to discover Cresselia and MissingNo. in the same building…

Fortunately, Arceus' third vice-secretary got her call before he was swamped with more offerings from the Hearthome Chapel. Within three minutes, about twenty Arcanines had trooped through the door and set to work chasing MissingNo. down.

There was massive pandemonium after that. Everyone was attempting to attack someone while keeping out o the way of the other attacks, and Aeveon found his feathers singed on more than one occasion. MissingNo. was actually using Sky Attack and firing Water Guns at the same time; it didn't matter who he hit, as he had realized by then that everyone was against him anyway and any connected blow was an improvement (except for Clyde, who just started shouting). Caro was vainly trying to order Raichu into attacks, Sheridan gave up on controlling the now battle-crazed Aeveon altogether, and it was a small miracle that nobody died in the general crossfire.

However, since most of the Pokémon's attacks involved fire and MissingNo. was fond of using Sky Attack to swerve out of the way, Alonzo's house was very close to getting torched. After all the abuse it had gone through up until this point, the possibility of his home going up in smoke was apparently too much for the man to handle.

"STOOOOOOOP!"

Within a few seconds, everyone froze and stared at Alonzo wide-eyed.

"I hate to interrupt your investigation, I really do, but I think there are some things we need to set straight here," he continued. It was blatantly obvious that he was fed up with today's events. "One: this is my house. Where I live. If you keep shooting thunderbolts…" he pointed at Caro and Raichu, who had since rejoined the fray, "…and you keep firing air bullets…" the Index Finger of Wrath turned to Aeveon now, "…and you keep setting things on fire, and you keep dive-bombing people…" he moved to the Arcanine troops and MissingNo. "…then this place won't last another two minutes! And what's going to happen when it burns down? Oh no, the battlefield's dead, let's run away? Oh, sure, you lot can do that. Go right ahead, be my guest! However, you have apparently failed to realize that this place is my responsibility, and I DON'T WANT TO GO BROKE FIXING UP THE MESS THAT YOU ALL HAVE MADE!!" His rant increased in volume until it was threatening to splutter out at any moment. He took a breath while everyone else stood (or hovered) in stunned silence.

"And TWO…"

He paused here, looking upwards. Now that the room had been silenced by Alonzo's temper tantrum, sirens could be heard wailing in the distance.

"…and TWO, you've gone and summoned the freaking POLICE!!"

Well, by all standards, the story ended well.

Cresselia and the Arcanine Guard contained MissingNo. and dragged him back to Cinnabar Island (but not before leaving it in a stunned state as proof that a rampaging Glitch really did destroy half of Alonzo's house), and the whole thing was covered up as MissingNo.'s doing entirely; no serious casualties were had. Immensely relieved with Casey's group helping him with the problem that was sure to get worse if left untreated, Alonzo had jubilantly allowed him to take a Pokémon from his entire stock. Casey, not particularly wanting any of them, gave the decision to Sheridan – now bordering dangerously close to Fangirl Eyes – who selected Aeveon as her new team member.

By the time they left the sun had dipped quite low in the sky, and (to the sound of Grant's continued moaning that they had stayed here much longer than they were supposed to) the Groupie Galaxy found themselves in desperate need of a Pokémon Center. Once there, the monsters in Grant's head had a revelation.

"HELLO," they said pleasantly once I had fallen into sleep.

"Hi there," I responded.

"WE HAVE COME TO INFORM YOU ON CERTAIN THINGS," continued the Karmada. "ONE, WE RECOMMEND STRONGLY AGAINST SETTING FOOT IN RAXI CITY. THERE ARE MANY PROBLEMS THERE."

"Problems? Like what?"

"GRANT STERNBERG… DO YOU KNOW WHAT HAPPENS WHEN TWO PEOPLE HOUSING KARMADA COME IN CLOSE CONTACT WITH ONE ANOTHER?"

"No."

"THE RESULT IS NOT PLEASANT. IF ONE GROUP OF KARMADA IS PROVOKED BY THE OTHER, A SORT OF BATTLE WILL ENSUE, CAUSING MASSIVELY PAINFUL HEADACHES FOR ALL INVOLVED. WE HAVE SENSED A NUMBER OF KARMADA WITHIN THAT CITY, AND IT IS SUGGESTED THAT YOU CONVINCE CASEY BLAIR TO TAKE ANOTHER ROUTE."

"But… he needs to get a Badge from there."

"THEN HE CAN DO IT WITHOUT YOU," said the gray ghosts pleasantly.

I frowned at the Karmada. "What will you do if I don't comply to this?"

"WE WILL FIGHT VALIANTLY AND TRY NOT TO GIVE YOU A MIGRAINE."

"Oh. Um… thanks, I guess."

"OUR PLEASURE."

"So… what was the second thing?"

"WE DON'T SEEM TO BE MAKING MUCH HEADWAY ON FINDING WHAT WE SEEK. FOR THIS REASON, WE HAVE NOT YET ESTABLISHED AN ESTIMATE OF WHEN WE WILL BE ABLE TO EVACUATE YOUR MIND. WE APOLOGIZE FOR THE INCONVENIENCE."

Not really having anything to say to this, I opted instead to ask one of the questions that had been bugging me. "So… why did you pick me to search for your thing?"

"THERE SEEMS TO BE A SIMILAR TRAIT IN ALL OF THE PEOPLE THAT WE SEARCH," said the Karmada. "WE BELIEVE IT TO BE, AMONG OTHER THINGS, A SORT OF POWERFUL NEGATIVE EMOTION. WE'RE STILL WORKING ON YOURS…"

"Powerful… what? I've got nothing to hide here."

"OH, BUT YOU DO," said the Karmada. "WE'LL HUNT IT DOWN, WE ASSURE YOU. ONCE WE FIND IT WE WILL TAKE IT FOR OURSELVES AND YOU CAN BE RID OF THE BURDEN. THINK OF US AS A SORT OF PERSONAL PSYCHIATRIST."

Not particularly enjoying the thought of this, I was about to respond when—

"Grant!" called a voice rudely, kicking the bed and cutting into the previously pleasant slumber of its occupant. "Get up! We're waiting on you!"

"…what?" said the disheveled mop of brown hair that was supposed to be Grant. When he finally woke up, he found a very bemused Sheridan face in his line of vision – she, as the next most mature person in the group, took it upon herself to motivate the motivator. Grant's half-awake brain failed to notice this; instead it chose to observe the fact that Sheridan's chest was leaning dangerously close to his face.

"Hey!" he squawked.

Sheridan stood up, looking quite pleased with herself. "Get yourself ready. Casey says that we're heading out today."

Grant didn't stop glowering at her as she left the room, and the stare continued to fry the door from which she left. After that incident had been sent to the back of his mind where nobody else had to deal with it and he began to get ready, Grant set his thoughts again on what the Karmada had said. Negative emotion of some sort. He certainly didn't hate anyone in the immediate area, nor was he particularly sad about anything…

Suddenly Grant looked upwards, eyes wide.

They weren't talking about… no, they couldn't have been…

That wasn't…

…that wasn't his fault!

Five people (and a computer) sat around a table. A sixth was leaning against the wall.

There were a couple of things wrong with this picture. For one, there was never a man dressed in a dark suit and FBI sunglasses standing in the corner before. There was also the fact that Mr. Bodyguard had placed Rodney's laptop on the table, which Anima was supposed to do – but couldn't. This was the third strange thing: she didn't seem to be present, even though the other Leader was.

"Um…" began Stathis intelligently.

"Ah yes!" chirped Mina, giving a disgustingly sweet smile around the table. "I must have forgotten to mention this at the last meeting. Today we have a special guest from the PIA, who is here to both explain a couple of things that are obviously unusual right now, and also observe us as we go about our business. Okay?"

"Okay," they chorused. If the PIA agent hadn't been there, at the mention of his company there would have been an incredibly loud groan. (Actually, there was a groan, but thanks to the wonders of pretending to cough nobody noticed… much.)

The PIA – that is, Pokémon Inspection Agency – was an official group founded in Kanto. Originally, it served as peacekeepers where the PIKA (Police Institution of Kindred Areas*) failed to do so. However, other organizations were soon established and did a much better job of international crime-fighting than they did, and the PIA was reduced to keeping tabs on Gyms. They are notorious for being incredibly unfair, picky, and all-around maniacal. They were so irritating, in fact, that some less tactful Gym Leaders have taken to calling them a pain in the…

…Oh dear. I can't seem to remember. This is so strange.

Well, whatever the word was, it was making fun of 'PIA'. Among the various Regions, Holon's Gyms were without a doubt in the most trouble with the PIA and their yearly inspections – they had a bone to pick with almost every Gym Puzzle for being 'too dangerous' or 'too time-consuming' or 'too mind-breakingly difficult' or somesuch. Only in a few cases did they comment on the Gym Leader themselves, but in all fairness they deserved it. The relationship between the organizations was strained at best.

The PIA agent stepped forward with not even a nod to Mina – who, behind his back, looked quite miffed. Instead, he walked to a part of the table not currently occupied by a Gym Leader and stood there. "Ms. Minam—"

"Oh, please, just call me Mina. Everyone else does." Mina gave another sickly-sweet giggle and waved one hand.

"Ms. Mina has already summarized why I am here," he corrected. "I – or rather, the PIA – have some matters that we wish to discuss with you all. Before we continue, I would like you all to refer to me as Miles; I already know all of your names." At this he gave a smile that was obviously meant to be pleasant and, in that respect, failed spectacularly. "Um… yes. First off, you will have noticed the absence of Miss Anima Ardall. She has not disappeared off the face of the earth, I assure you." He waited for the giggles, but when none came he continued. "She is currently on break from her Leaderly duties in order to pursue, as she says, 'another personal goal'. When she will return to the spot is unknown, but until she does all challengers will simply have to be redirected to the other Gym Leader in the city."

One could practically hear Rodney seething through the microphone.

Miles acted like he didn't notice. "Well! That's one of the things out of the way. Second order of business, I've heard rumors from others within my company that Gym Leaders in this Region are using Pokémon not authorized by the Pokémon Master Encyclopedia. That said, I will need to ask you to release all of your Pokémon while we search your person for any illegitimate Pokémon you may have on hand."

"Excuse me, sir," said Garret meekly, raising his hand. "No one ever brings their Pokémon to these meetings."

Miles blinked. "You're supposed to. The PIA informed your Champion that…"

"Well, if Roman heard it, he never told me," said Mina. "Because I wasn't informed of it, they weren't informed of it." She folded her hands in front of her and regarded Miles with a stare so frigid that it wouldn't be out of place on a mommy Articuno protecting her young.

Miles looked back at the other Gym Leaders (mostly to look away from Mina). "Well, then, I suppose we'll need to have a talk with Mr. Roman about this…" When the others offered no comment, the PIA agent pulled himself together. "All of that said, I hope you will all have a pleasant meeting."

"Are you going now?" asked Marianne. Buck kicked her shin disapprovingly.

"No," said Miles. "I'll just be watching in this folding chair over here." He backed away from the round table and sat down on – lo and behold – a steel chair in the corner. He picked up a clipboard, already supplied with a pen and some paper, from the floor and sat poised to write his observations.

The discussion was very uncomfortable that day.

* The International Police are a very different beast than PIKA; do not get them confused.

Last edited:

Giratina ♀

what's your sign?
    Years
    • Age 27
    • Seen Jul 23, 2013
    Actually, no. That would be 'M, another Glitch that appears in the same place as MissingNo. does. MissingNo. appears as either his ghost form or varying skeletal Pokémon (hence the Aerodactyl skeleton flying through the air in a previous chapter). 'M, as far as I recall, is the L-shaped mass of pixels.

Back