• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Winning Battle Tower Teams

DeeJay

Mr. Excitement
    Years
    Know your defenses. Don't stay in to attack something that can even vaguely use an Ice-type attack (Ice Punch / Ice Fang are common contenders; definitely don't stay in on Ice Shard users), unless (1) you know for a fact you are faster than them and (2) you know you can OHKO them. Don't expect to down Hippowdon @ Ice Fang by using Dragon Claw without Swords Dance, and don't try your luck against Skarmory unless you have ample boost + Fire Fang.

Hidden Power (BOTH type and power) is determined by IVs, so you need to breed for the right type and power.

And yes, I have encountered terrible matches, where I get hit by OHKO moves 3/3 times.

Well, one thing that has served me very well is switching to that Metagross when an Ice-type might be used. I do have trouble with water types and guys that know Earthquake though (esp. if they're faster than mine).

I'm really thinking about a Gliscor to replace my Gyarados...Thanks for the help. If I ever get super ambitious, I'll try for a good Hidden Power outcome.

Gymnotide

8377 | Scorpaeniform
    Years
    I'm also tempted to say...

To note:

I put Aerial Ace / Shock Wave on the movesets because the Battle Tower really likes to spam Double Team / Minimize. Also, be wary, since Gliscor and Garchomp both have 4x weaknesses to Ice... Walrein / Lucario has 8x resistance to Ice, though lolol

Garchomp @ Yache Berry
    Sand Veil
    Adamant / 4 HP / 252 ATK / 252 SPE
    -- Swords Dance
    -- Outrage
    -- Earthquake
    -- Stone Edge

Lucario @ Choice Specs
    Inner Focus
    Modest / 4 HP / 252 SpATK / 252 SPE
    -- Vacuum Wave
    -- Dragon Pulse
    -- Aura Sphere
    -- Shadow Ball / Hidden Power [WTR]

Rotom-H @ Leftovers
    Levitate
    Bold / 252 HP / 168 DEF / 88 SPE
    -- Overheat
    -- Shadow Ball / Hidden Power [FGT]
    -- Thunderbolt / Discharge
    -- Dark Pulse / Hidden Power [ICE] / Hidden Power [FGT] / Will-O-Wisp

And...

Abomasnow @ Choice Scarf
    Snow Warning
    Hasty / 140 ATK / 116 SpATK / 252 SPE
    -- Blizzard
    -- Hidden Power [FIR] / Hidden Power [WTR]
    -- Earthquake
    -- Wood Hammer

Rotom-F @ Leftovers
    Levitate
    Timid / 64 HP / 232 SpATK / 212 SPE
    -- Blizzard
    -- Shadow Ball
    -- Hidden Power [FGT]
    -- Charge Beam

Walrein @ Leftovers
    Thick Fat / Ice Body
    Bold / 220 HP / 252 DEF / 36 SpDEF
    -- Curse / Protect
    -- Earthquake / Substitute
    -- Waterfall / Ice Beam / Super Fang
    -- Toxic

Last edited:

DeeJay

Mr. Excitement
    Years
    The latest cheap trick the CPU whips out: A Porygon-Z with Download that knew Ice Beam (there goes the Garchomp), Charge Beam (there went the Gyarados) and Signal Beam (2 hits killed the Metagross)...
    I mean...wow.

I've found I hardly use the Grass Knot on my Metagross...and now I'm thinking of replacing him with either my own Porygon-Z or a Heat Rotom (like you suggested...the high Sp. Atk, types, and levitate make it very attractive).

I swear, the more I do this, the more impressed I am that people finish the 100 streak.

Has anyone read the "stall" tactics thread? Creating a Marshtomp with Roar, Stealth Rock, Yawn, and Protect seems like a crafty (and dirty) way to screw with the CPU :badsmile:

Impo

Playhouse Pokemon
    Years
    many people find using a trickscarf team effective,
    records go above 1,000 !
    so yeah, laitas is good for that :)

Gymnotide

8377 | Scorpaeniform
    Years
    The latest cheap trick the CPU whips out: A Porygon-Z with Download that knew Ice Beam (there goes the Garchomp), Charge Beam (there went the Gyarados) and Signal Beam (2 hits killed the Metagross)...
    I mean...wow.

I've found I hardly use the Grass Knot on my Metagross...and now I'm thinking of replacing him with either my own Porygon-Z or a Heat Rotom (like you suggested...the high Sp. Atk, types, and levitate make it very attractive).

I swear, the more I do this, the more impressed I am that people finish the 100 streak.

Has anyone read the "stall" tactics thread? Creating a Marshtomp with Roar, Stealth Rock, Yawn, and Protect seems like a crafty (and dirty) way to screw with the CPU :badsmile:

Lucario @ Choice Specs / Aura Sphere would have OHKO'd ;)
    And errr Bullet Punch 2HKOs Pory-Z, so you could have won that.

- - - - - - - - - -

Porygon-Z @ Choice Specs
    Adaptability / Download
    Timid / 4 DEF / 252 SpATK / 252 SPE
    -- Tri Attack
    -- Ice Beam
    -- Dark Pulse
    -- Hidden Power [FGT]

Last edited:

DeeJay

Mr. Excitement
    Years
    Lucario @ Choice Specs / Aura Sphere would have OHKO'd ;)
    And errr Bullet Punch 2HKOs Pory-Z, so you could have won that.

- - - - - - - - - -

Porygon-Z @ Choice Specs
    Adaptability / Download
    Timid / 4 DEF / 252 SpATK / 252 SPE
    -- Tri Attack
    -- Ice Beam
    -- Dark Pulse
    -- Hidden Power [FGT]

I swear I tried Bullet Punch with my Metagross. I wonder if I need to breed one with a higher Atk IV...Now, what makes you choose Dark Pulse for that Porygon? The accuracy?

Here's the arrangement I might try next: My current Garchomp, backed up by a Lucario and a Rotom-H (both of the latter two emphasizing Sp. Atk)...

Gymnotide

8377 | Scorpaeniform
    Years
    I swear I tried Bullet Punch with my Metagross. I wonder if I need to breed one with a higher Atk IV...Now, what makes you choose Dark Pulse for that Porygon? The accuracy?

Here's the arrangement I might try next: My current Garchomp, backed up by a Lucario and a Rotom-H (both of the latter two emphasizing Sp. Atk)...

You could run Psychic, because it covers Fighting and Poison-types, which are a problem for the set. Though, Poison-types usually have high SpDEF or are part Grass, which Ice Beam takes care of.

Dark Pulse covers Ghosts that Tri Attack and Hidden Power [FGT] can't hit (and it does it better than Shadow Ball, because Dark beats everything that Ghost does but doesn't miss against Normal-type switch-ins; Dark Pulse can also flinch, whereas SpDEF penalties don't matter on such a heavy-hitter).

Signal Beam is junk because Ice Beam, Hidden Power [FGT] and Dark Pulse cover all of its targets.

You might find Thunderbolt / Discharge useful, however.

DeeJay

Mr. Excitement
    Years
    Well I finally acquired the "discs" to make a new Porygon-Z, although mine is a Lv. 1 Modest, so I might train the hell out of him to see how that goes (unfortunately, his Hidden Power would be Water...I checked).

I'm also leveling up my Latios (see like the 2nd post here), since he's a Modest one. The problem is the number of weaknesses he has, and I don't want him tossed in with the Garchomp (both weak against ice...yikes). Yeah...right now the Rotom/Porygon-Z option sounds like the best for my 3rd spot...

I think if I get the Rotom, he'd get Ghost Ball for the STAB, and having an Elec. would get rib of my trouble with Water-types. The nice thing about Gen-IV is that the Rotom stays elec/ghost regardless of form.

Gymnotide

8377 | Scorpaeniform
    Years
    Starmie @ Life Orb
    Natural Cure
    Modest / 4 HP / 252 SpATK / 252 SPE

-- Ice Beam
    -- Thunderbolt
    -- Surf
    -- Recover

Electivire @ Expert Belt
    Motor Drive
    Lonely / 198 ATK / 124 SpATK / 176 SPE

-- Earthquake
    -- Cross Chop
    -- Ice Punch
    -- Thunderbolt

Skarmory @ Leftovers
    Sturdy
    Impish / 252 HP / 240 DEF / 16 SPE

-- Whirlwind
    -- Roost
    -- Brave Bird
    -- Toxic

DeeJay

Mr. Excitement
    Years
    Alright folks, well I've made some progress! I made it to Palmer the 2nd time and almost got him. The last one standing was his Heatran, and all I had left was an Electivire...I couldn't get him in one shot, so that finished me. Here's my current team:

Garchomp @ Focus Sash
    Adamant (He's Lv. 100, so I'm not sure what his stats are @ 50)
    Outrage
    Earthquake
    Swords Dance
    Fire Fang

Gyarados @ Lum Berry
    Adamant, Lv. 50 (HP 167, Atk. 192, Def. 95, Sp. Atk. 66, Sp. Def. 110, Spd. 112)
    Aqua Tail
    Stone Edge
    Ice Fang
    Dragon Dance

Electivire @ Expert Belt
    Brave, Lv. 50 (HP 151, Atk. 185, Def. 81, Sp. Atk. 101, Sp. Def. 92, Spd. 115)
    Thunderpunch
    Ice Punch
    Cross Chop
    Quick Attack

The only one I've been disappointed with is the Electivire, who cant take much punishment. I like him having a high priority attack like Quick Attack in case he's facing a fast (but weak) foe...might have to give him Earthquake though. I might keep trying to breed one with better stats too.

DeeJay

Mr. Excitement
    Years
    The CPU sent another one of those ****-ing Porygon-Z's at me and just slaughtered me again...It's unreal. They're so fast and one sp. attack seems to just kill anything. My Electivire was just useless! I can't even describe how frustrating and cheap it feels. >.<

Jukain-Arashi

PM me for Lockerz invitation.
    Years
    Not sure if you still need help, but here's the team I used, it took me far until I just stopped playing it:

Starmie @ Choice Scarf
    Natural Cure
    Timid
    4HP / 252SpA / 252Spd
    Surf / Ice Beam / Thunderbolt / Trick

Scizor @ Life Orb (Expert Belt works too)
    Technician
    Adamant
    4HP / 252Atk / 252Spd
    Swords Dance / Brick Break / Bug Bite / Bullet Punch

Heatran @ Leftovers
    Flash Fire
    Naive
    4HP / 252SpA / 252Spd
    Fire Blast / Earth Power / Dragon Claw / Explosion

DeeJay

Mr. Excitement
    Years
    I'm taking all the help I can get, especially since I restarted my game. I'm currently breeding a Staryu with excellent IVs and then moving on to the rest. I think my Attacker will stay as a Garchomp, but a Scizor or Gliscor are also being investigated.

gamefan1

Mystery Trainer
    Years
    • Age 32
    • Seen Apr 16, 2012
    Gengar

Focus slash

-Thunderbolt
    -Psychic
    -Shadowball
    -Destiny bond (i love the destiny bond and focus slash combo :)

Gyarados:
    Lum berry

-Earthquake
    -Waterfall
    -Dragon dance
    -Rest

Venesaur
    Black sludge

-Leech seed
    -Sludge bomb
    -Giga drain
    -Protect

Not tha best team but ive managed to win almost only using gengar destiny bond and gyarados Waterfall lol

DeeJay

Mr. Excitement
    Years
    Here's where I am now folks:

#1)
    Species: STARMIE
    -
    HP: 135
    Attack: 79
    Defense: 104
    Sp. Atk: 162
    Sp. Def: 102
    Speed: 165

Max IV Stat(s): HP
    -
    Nature: Modest
    Characteristic: "Often dozes off"
    -
    Ability: Natural Cure
    Moveset: Surf, Ice Beam, Thunderbolt, Psychic
    -
    EV Trained For: Sp. Atk, Speed

#2)
    Species: GLISCOR
    -
    HP: 158
    Attack: 158
    Defense: 142
    Sp. Atk: 50
    Sp. Def: 94
    Speed: 140

Max IV Stat(s): HP
    -
    Nature: Adamant
    Characteristic: "Often dozes off"
    -
    Ability: Hyper Cutter
    Moveset: Fire Fang, Swords Dance, Aerial Ace, Earthquake
    -
    EV Trained For: Attack, Speed

Now, I've been experimenting a lot with my third team member...and I'm still not satisfied. My weaknesses are Ice and Ghost types (although the Starmie can usually take out ice types). Fast Ghost types are what usually get me...I've experimented with a Snorlax (with Crunch) and a Lucario (Dark Pulse), and now I'm thinking of one of the extremely high HP normal types that can learn Ghost Ball or Crunch.

Thoughts? Any species/moveset recommendations for my team?

Years
    • Seen Jan 25, 2012
    I would strongly recommend using a Steel type because:

1) They have many resistances and can set up on a lot of things (including toxic stall Pokemon)
    2) Weavile kills both members of your team

As far as choices go you have Scizor, Metagross and Registeel. Registeel really shouldn't be used outside of a Trick team, so count him out. Between Scizor and Metagross, Scizor has the stronger Bullet Punch and can set up Swords Dance and Substitute, while Metagross can Explode. I'd pick Scizor.

Scizor's moveset: Bullet Punch, Superpower, Swords Dance, Substitute/Roost
    Metagross's moveset: Bullet Punch, Meteor Mash, Earthquake, Explosion

These Pokemon should have enough Speed to outrun Heatran. None of the Heatran in the Tower have more than 97 speed.

IMO there are better special attackers that don't require setup than Starmie (e.g. Jolteon, Azelf, Gengar, Latios). I use a Gengar with Shadow Ball, Thunderbolt, Focus Blast and Destiny Bond.

The Gliscor should be a Garchomp. Garchomp has better attack and speed, and access to Outrage.

DeeJay

Mr. Excitement
    Years
    The last thing that just annihilated my team (Starmie, Gliscor, and Lucario) was a freakin' Frosslass...It was just impossibly fast. My guys couldn't even get hits in...My Lucario (resistant to it's attacks) was downed in one shot of ice beam!

I like the Gliscor's immunity to Earthquake AND Electrics...but I think you're right about the Garchomp.

Oh, and you were right about a Weavile. Until I put Vaccuum Wave on my Lucario, it would beat it with Brick break...of all things. Strange movesets...

I find it funny that all of the other achievements (for stars) were relatively easy...but this one is proving next to impossible for me.

If I go with a Scizor...shouldn't it use Bug Bite in there somewhere?

Last edited:
    Years
    • Seen Jan 25, 2012
    It seems you were beaten by this Froslass:
    Froslass1 Cheri Berry 145/90/90/132/90/178 Ice Beam, Ominous Wind, Confuse Ray, Attract
    Your Steel-type would have set up easily on this Froslass, or KOed it with Bullet Punch. Lucario's too frail to use its Steel typing to its advantage.

Flygon and Claydol also have Electric and Ground resists, but can't setup for nuts. I still recommend Garchomp because it's bulky enough to take a Ground attack.

Scizor doesn't need Bug Bite. At +6 attack, it KOs anything not resistant to its attacks. Substitute is way better because it protects you from OHKO moves, critical hits, status, and fast Pokemon that you have to kill with Superpower.

Remember that if you can beat Palmer at 49, you're only halfway there. The star for your trainer card is gotten at 100 wins. If you value your sanity, please use a Trick team.

Back