• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

3rd Gen Winstrate Family

vaporeon7

My life would suck without you
Years
  • The Winstrates are a family who live on Route 111 in Hoenn. When you challenge them, you have to battle four members of the family all in a row. So who do you think was the toughest of the four? Did you enjoy the battles with the family? Would've you liked to rematch the family with perhaps Vito present? Did you like this family in the games?

Years
    • Seen May 6, 2012
    [SIZE="a"]Lol I fought these guys, I thought they all were pretty easy in the long run, the grandma however I thought was the toughest, I did enjoy fighting them, kinda wished they put more groups of trainers like that in the games because it's like an endurance fight, you can't go and heal up your Pokemon and then pick up where you left off, so it gives you a benchmark to where your Pokemon stand in stamina and attacking ability.[/SIZE]

Years
  • I loved them!

The hardest was probably the grandma, but I kind of thought they were all easy. I wish you could battle them over, great training.

Mr Cat Dog

Frasier says it best
    Years
  • They were never much of a challenge, to be honest. Having said that, I had a strategy guide and grinded my Pokemon up accordingly... so if they were a challenge, I'd have had only myself to blame! It'd be nice if there were more 'families' like that in future games - maybe slightly further along to provide slightly more of a challenge.

Lateon

The Eon Follower
    Years
  • I didn't really think they were that much of a challenge either. They were a good endurance test (although I did not have a strategy guide), so I did heal a couple times, but other than that it wasn't that bad. They did make a family simmilar to it in Gen IV- in the resort place, where you went to sell all those things you found in the dive ruins? I can't remember the name for the life of me, though. I wish there was more like them in the games, it was fun and good grinding to use.

EDIT: Got confused with the restaurant south of lake valor... oops. What I was thinking of was The Riches family in gen 5

Last edited:

psyanic

pop a wheelie on a zeitgeist
    Years
    • Age 27
    • USA
    • Seen Apr 10, 2023
    None of them were hard at all. They were good for training low-leveled Pokemon to catch up to the rest of my team, though. One thing that bothered me was that Vito wasn't ever there, and I wish you could have battled them after you beat the Elite Four with him there. That would be more of a challenge, really.

Sydian

fake your death.
    Years
  • I always battle them, haha. Good exp. The grandma actually gave me trouble as a kid though. But they weren't really anything special, though I think it's neat how you find their son in Victory Road that they talked about. His trainer title isn't "Winstrate" like the others, but he does mutter something about his family after he's defeated, SO YOU KNOW.

Perriechu

i make this look easy tik-tik boom like gasoline-y
    Years
  • I liked them. It was a nice way to gain some quick exp. Although it was daunting having to battle them all in a row. And especially the grandma with that Meditite.

I wish they could have been re-battled with their son home. With upgraded rosters and such.

Sydian

fake your death.
    Years
  • "For that I'm going to smack you! Prepare to lose!" CRAZY GRANDMA WANTS TO FIGHT. I forgot to mention that she was SO difficult for me as a kid, that I remembered those words...that and I replay RSE too much for my own good lol.

vaporeon7

My life would suck without you
    Years
  • I really liked these battles in the games, I found the continuous part of it to be fun. The toughest was definitely the grandma with Meditite's Hi-Jump Kick or whatever it was. I always hated getting statused in one of the early battles and not being able to heal it away before the next. I would've loved to have rematches, it would be like the E4, but different Pokémon.

Years
  • I don't remember them being challenging but I loved facing them and yes a rematch wouldn't have gone amiss! :) It was a very nice addition to have on that route, to take a break from travelling :)

Elite Overlord LeSabre™

On that 'Non stop road'
    Years
  • I challenged them, kicked their butts, and moved on. Nothing particularly difficult or interesting about them at all, almost as if they were foretelling my entire R/S/E experience.

SlitWeaver

Pokémon Champion
    Years
  • Yup.

To agree with everyone above:
    1) They were definitely a fun addition to the game that should have had either a bigger part, rematch, etc.
    2) The grandma WAS hard as a little kid...

Also:
    3) I was TOTALLY surprised by them as a little kid! I almost **** bricks XD

And I recall them saying their son was in the Elite Four...my memory could be escaping me of course :P

In conclusion, I definitely hope Nintendo capitalizes on this "family" structure and "endurance" battles and such in the future.

Perriechu

i make this look easy tik-tik boom like gasoline-y
    Years
  • Am I the only one who didn't find the grandma as hard as everyone else did? I was just mostly scared because I thought I was going to be thrown into a smackdown with her. );

SlitWeaver

Pokémon Champion
    Years
  • Only because...

Am I the only one who didn't find the grandma as hard as everyone else did?...

I only found her hard the first time, as a kid, because I was completely unprepared for the fact. After the first time I played through Emerald though she was easy :P She was probably hard because as a kid I wasn't very good of course :P haha

Musica

PPPPPDPPPPP
    Years
  • They were easy for me since I grind as hell before getting to Mauville town. I make sure my starter is fully evolved while the others in my party would be 25+. I liked them because they give good exp and money! Macho brace wasn't really an item I liked though.

Years
    • Seen May 15, 2014
    They were awesome. Easy exp for newly caught stuff on that route between Mauville and Slateport. But yeah, none of them were particularly hard but if I had to pick a hardest one it would definitely be the grandma. Never did pick up that Macho Brace though xD

Ho-Oh

used Sacred Fire!
    Years
    • Seen Jul 1, 2023
    They were good for exp but nobody was really that good at battling. I remember the dialogue for each was amusing for some reason though, but I can't remember why. Either way yeah, they were just another thing which gave me exp. :3

Back