• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

wip firered/touhoumon hack,need help spriting

tewi pyon

white rabbit of good fortune
Years
    • she/her
    • Seen May 29, 2021
    hello ^w^ before i start, apologies if this is the wrong place to post this,
    recently i started work on a new project, i wanted to make a new hack just for fun and to start learning about hacking stuff,
    it is a hack of firered and meant to be a touhoumon hack
    if you don't know what it is, it's basically reskin with touhou characters and different stats/abilities/moves depending on the hack
    touhou is a danmaku game series with a lot of characters, so touhoumon became a thing as a mix of the two games ^w^

so far, i have already replaced various characters in the pokedex, and have been brainstorming of features i will include
    right now i wanted to work on replacing the sprites and team icons, but i am having trouble in doing so
    for context, i am using the existing hack "touhoumon merry" as a base,and for sprite editing i am using gen iii hacking suite,
    whenever i replace the images, the palette looks very strange
    wip firered/touhoumon hack,need help spriting

(hopefully that image works -w-)
    could it be an issue with indexing?i have read about it, however i'm very confused about it and unsure if the base is too unstable to make any changes?

Derxwna Kapsyla

Derxwna "The Badman" Kapsyla
    Years
  • Firstly, yes this is the wrong section... technically speaking, this is for Fangame Development outside of the realm of ROM Hacks. You'd find stuff like Pokemon Essentials (or more relevant, the Touhoumon Development Kit), both for RPG Maker here, as well as other Non-ROM Hack projects.

Secondly, I wouldn't recommend using Merry/Aqua+Yui as a base, not unless you got permission from Aquamentis to do so. Your best bet would be building from the ground up, so you know everything that is going into it, instead of having to work around whatever changes Aquamentis made ages ago. Whiiiiich leads me to my next suggestion: I'd recommend using the Disassembly to try and build from the ground up instead of doing a binary ROM Hack. You'll have more fluid control over the engine, and importing sprites usually won't lead to sprite corruption like that if you mess up somewhere along the line (Doing binary editing like this has a tendency to screw up existing assets if you don't know what you're doing- I speak from experience, as I once turned cut trees purple due to a faulty insertion and could never fix it).

If you're insistent on doing binary hacking, make sure you continuously back up your ROM file before making any changes. Backups of your backups, even. Backups are always a good habit to get into when working on a project, regardless of whether it's binary hacking, a Disassembly project, or a Non-ROM Hack. It allows you to go back and reattempt your last change without anything breaking, or to mess around and figure out why something broke.

_pheebee

[I]Gosh! What's poppin'?[/i]
    Years
  • I've moved your thread to the ROM Hacking Section, as it's not a fan game using Essentials, or something similar.

Back