• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Wired vs. Wireless Internet Connectivity

Years
    Just a quick little poll!

How do you guys normally connect to the internet at home when on your computer? Do you have an Ethernet connection running from a modem and/or router that goes to your device, or do you perhaps browse via a wireless connection, whether via in-home wifi or a hotspot?

EC

Years
    • he/him
    • Seen Jul 1, 2022
    Wireless for everything I do. Recently bought a nice new modem/router to take advantage of upgraded speeds. PS4 still seems to be stuck in the past for whatever reason though.

Years
    Our laptop is always wired since my mother doesn't know how to enable WiFi >.>
    Personally, I prefer WiFi since I always move around especially when I watch videos.

Drayton

Chilled Dude of The Elite Four
    Years
    • He/They/Them
    • Seen Feb 21, 2024
    Currently using Wireless at home because we got so much smarthphones and the need without taking turns unplugging the cable of course, my dad have a hotspot of his own

Guest123_x1

On my laptop, I almost always run wireless, even when I'm relatively close to the router (which is for the vast majority of the time I'm using my laptop). However, I still prefer wired networking, which is more robust with LAN traffic between devices on the same network (I do have a NAS drive that I store most of my files on).
    My strategy is use Wi-Fi only if it's the only option that particular device has or if I move around with said device regularly.

Years
    I use wireless because I'm far from the router; the Ethernet cable would be tripping everyone up, and as funny as that would be to watch, no.

killer-curry

Oro.........?
    Years
    Welp, my dorm has a cable so i able to connect wiith cable for internet! Well, sometimes dorm internet is suckish sometimes so I just tether my phone for 4G wireless. :)

i dun see any problem with these , the difference just slightly small.

Nathan

Blade of Justice
    Years
    i use wired connection for my laptop since it's close to the router and wireless for my phone and tablet.

Years
    I use both. My wireless router is wired into my modem. My PS3, primary PC, and Xbox 360 are all wired into the switch side of the router or into a desktop switch I have. Most other devices connect into the router via the wireless network.

Years
    • Age 31
    • Seen Jan 6, 2024
    Wireless. I've had my time with wired connections and I prefer everything to be wireless nowadays.

Legendary Silke

[I][B]You like dragons?[/B][/I]
    Years
    • Seen Dec 23, 2021
    I just whatever is available most of the time, so no particular preference as long as it's reliable enough for my use.

Years
    I had to go wired, at least for my desktop. When I got my current router, for some reason that computer wouldn't accept the wireless connection no matter what I tried (by all rights, it should have, it had everything it needed for it). Plugging it in directly was the only thing that seemed to work.

Years
    Wireless. I've had my time with wired connections and I prefer everything to be wireless nowadays.
    Hmm, interesting. I guess your speeds and everything are alright in comparison to how they would be on wired, if I had to ask?

Years
    • Age 31
    • Seen Jan 6, 2024
    Hmm, interesting. I guess your speeds and everything are alright in comparison to how they would be on wired, if I had to ask?

Yes, there are no noticeable difference or hiccups whether it's wireless or wired. Everything seems to be at the cap.

Back